Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Tires and Wheels

Comments

• pcp2pcp2 Posts: 12
    Several miles (200+-) after installing new tires same size as original the check engine and VSC (vehicle skid control) light comes on. I can reset it by disconnecting the battery and re connecting it but after driving several miles the lights come on again. Does the computer need re programing?

The Toyota Dealer reset it one time, assume they disconnected the battery, but I still have problem. Any ideas as how to fix?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    My 4Runner is in for the same issue. Let the dealer worry about it. So many associated things may be the cause you'll never figure it out.
  • pcp2pcp2 Posts: 12
    The dealers fix was to disconnect the battery to reset lights. That did not work. Are you saying let the dealer do this again to the tune of $90+ and I will still have the problem??? I don't think so. That is my 2 cents worth but, thanks for your comment.
  • springcitspringcit Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Avalon with 90,000 miles on it and have had to put 4 sets of tires on it. One set a year. Has anyone else had this problem? No matter what kind of tires even Michelins.Yes, I had a four wheel aliment done too. I bought the car with 23,000 miles on it and it already needed tires. Thanks, John
  • sandydee1sandydee1 Posts: 23
    I had to buy two new front tires for my 2003 Avalon after only 17,000 miles. I actually had the lifetime tire option but voided that when I did not have my tires rotated every 5,000 miles. Hopefully, the new tires will last longer than 17,000 miles.
  • grozagroza Posts: 89
    "I actually had the lifetime tire option but voided that when I did not have my tires rotated every 5,000 miles. Hopefully, the new tires will last longer than 17,000 miles. "

Ummmm, Sandy, my guess is that you can expect 34,000 miles if you rotate 'em; 17,000 miles if not. What do you think, bud?

Groza
  • qualitynutqualitynut Posts: 36
    I'm up to 50k on original MXV4s with plenty of tread left. Rotate every 5k, high percentage of highway miles. Expect another 20k yet; new tires before winter.
  • nightlingernightlinger Posts: 12
    Have 202,000 miles on my 2000 Avalon. Runs great except I now have a rattle sound
    coming from right rear tire area. It's only when I run over a bump and never when I am
    on a level surface. Sounds like a bottle rolling or like a loose window pane, but I've
    check for that. Any ideas as to problem?
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    "Have 202,000 miles on my 2000 Avalon. Runs great except I now have a rattle sound
    coming from right rear tire area. It's only when I run over a bump and never when I am
    on a level surface. Sounds like a bottle rolling or like a loose window pane, but I've
    check for that. Any ideas as to problem? "

Have you had the wheel bearing(s) checked? Are the struts original or been a long time since replaced?

MikeS.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    My '94 Camry had the same problem and I replaced the rear struts. The rattle was still there. Go figure.
  • fun2drivefun2drive Posts: 2
    Anyone know how to remove the grill? I need to get to the condenser and I know I need to pull the grill.
    Thanks
  • nightlingernightlinger Posts: 12
    I replaced the struts at about 100,000, I think. Recently, had the CVG/bearings
    replaced. One mechanic said it might be some part that has worn down that is
    on the back wheels. Don't know what it part it is but he was trying to order them
    through Toyota. Must not be one stocked.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Posts: 39
    bmwdoug,

I have an '05 Limited, and it is not Bluetooth savvy. I have a Motorola V710 Bluetooth phone and added an aftermarket Motorola Bluetooth Hands Free Kit. About $300 with installation. Inobtrusive, and it works fine.

Bakeroid
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Posts: 44
    Anyone out there have the o.e. part number for the wheel locks for the 2005 Avalon Limited? Forgot to get the option when I purchased the Avy. I am sure an internet dealer has them much cheaper than the local dealer is selling the for.
  • geezer6geezer6 Posts: 1
    Just got my new XL, my one complaint is the ride. It is rough and I feel every bump or dip. Will different tires help? Mine are Bridgestone Potenzas. Will a bigger tire or touring type tire help?
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    Very 1st thing to do is check the tire pressure. Several of us have found our cars came with 38psi & higher. This makes for a rough ride.

MikeS.
  • kkovakkkovak Posts: 16
    My 2003 Avalon is currently in for regular service, Oil/filter, etc. When inspecting the tires they tell me thay are at 3/32 tread when PA state minimum is 2/32. This car has only 17,500 miles on it. Anyone else have experience with these OEM tires wearing out so soon? About half the miles are highway and half around town. Recommended replacement tire?

Other issue is front rotors. Recently have felt a slight vibration on light braking. Dealer tells me that the front rotors and pads need to be replaced, but they will do it on warranty. Anyone else with experience with rotors going so soon?
    Thanks
    Ken
  • I have read about Toyota OEM tires (Michelins) wearing down fairly quickly, but the handling and road noise are excellent. My brother works for a company that does testing on vehicles and tires. He states that Michelin are the some of the best in the industry but they do tend to cost substantially more than other tires of its class, but they also take the time to thoroughly do R&D on them. And the funny thing is I recently read a review from someone in Harrisburg, PA complaining about the treadwear on the Michelin OEM tires for a Toyota Avalon. I would honestly recommend going to this website, www.tirerack.com, and put in the information for your make and model and then click on tire reviews for the car. This will give you a variety of tires and reviews from people who purchased them. Then make your best judgement and find a retail store that is selling that particular brand and spec. of tire. And just out of recommendation, do not buy Dunlaps or Goodyears, always had bad experiences with them and I have tried to give them more than a few chances. Sorry if anyone is of a fan of Dunlaps and Goodyears, just stating my personal experience and opinion on them.

As for the rotors, I have not heard problems that early with a Toyota. I had purchased a Dodge product brand new and within the first 5000 miles there was vibration in the steering and brake pedal. I took back to the dealer and they said I need to replace the pads and the rotors needed to be turned and not replaced. No charge because it was under warranty. After that I didn't have any problems. It is very possible to have issues with brakes with only a few thousand miles. But definitely take them up on replacing under warranty. I don't think you really need to worry about it too much. Only if it seriously happens again that I may ask if there is a problem. And again, I honestly not heard about typical brake problems with Toyotas. However, in a competitive market of cars, trying to keep costs down and needing to make some sacrifices maybe the parts are not as high quality as they once were. Just an observation and side note. Good luck on your vehicle and hope you have a good experience and not a negative one.
  • My OEM tires lasted till 22K. I replaced them but it seems the FWD on avalon is hard on tires. I replaced with Continentals which lasted to 60K ( was an 80K tire). I now have Coopers

I have the slight vibration but mine is a 2001. I think its time for new rotors and pads
  • The problem was determined to be bushings or whatever the part the struts fit into.
    I had already put struts on at about 100,000. Now have 209,000. As matter of infor-
    mation, I also had to put ball joints not long ago after I heard a loud noise in the rear
    of the car.