Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Anyone have experience with General tire Altimax HP? Tire Rack seems to rate them highly. I have 205/60/16 on my 02 XL.
  • anyone have any experience with cooper tires - good,bad or indifferent?
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I had Cooper tires on a Taurus. I couldn't keep them in balance. I got ride of them after 20,000 miles.
    Over the last few years I've put Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on my cars ('05 Nissan Sentra, '98 Sienna, '08 Avalon). I haven't been sorry. They're excellent in rain, which we have a lot of in Arkansas, and just recently proved good in snow. I was in northern Utah over Christmas when they got some big snow storms. I had no trouble driving around and at one point I was going up a steep hill when the car in front of me started to slip and slide off to the side of the road; however, I went steadily up without a problem. Also, a bus couldn't make the hill. I'm sure they're not as quite as other tires but I think road conditions dictate noise more. On a really smooth road I find them quite acceptable. One note, I put 34 pounds in my tires and have for as long as I can remember.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    I have Goodyear Comfortreds (same family) on my wifes 03 mounted on custom wheels which come off for winter. Vague soft handling at first until things took a 'set' but then fine. I believe I posted elsewhere about that and suspension upgrades.
    I just got a set of Thule CB-12 100 tire chains for my '08 Avalon. They fit around the tire OK but the tension chain is way too short to attach as per the illustration in the instructions. You can get it to attach, but not in the prescribed manner.

Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Just had these tires rotated at about 5.5k...

In short, they are as good as Michelin to this point. Ride is a liitle better, actually. Handling and performance are the same under all conditions as the Michelin, except we have had no snow to drive on... yet... here in metro Atlanta. No significant wear is visible on the tire tread or the shoulder even for the ones that were on the front.

So far, so good. Satisfaction at half the price of the MXV4's. Consider the Nexen brand if you need tires for an Avalon. :)
  • My car (135Kmiles) got a negative camber and equally chewed-up the inside of both front tires to the steel belt in about 10Kmiles since tires and struts were replaced.
    (Note: Original struts lasted for 120Kmiles)

Shop #1 calls for plain wheel alignment.
    Shop #2 call for struts replacement.
    Other information sources state 98 Avalon does not have caster-camber adjustment.
    What is the correct solution to have this problem fixed?
  • Car is 97000 miles now and still on the 2nd set of Michelin OEM Energy MVX4s . Looking for a tire change...has anyone any experience with BF Goodrich tires on the Avalon ?

Have some great deals going on at Costco..hence the question

~A
  • Thanks tfelton...

this is one amazing tire comparison chart I've ever seen...

~A
    Used Michelins and one set of Toyos on my first two Avalons, a '99 and an '03. On the '07 at 28k on the car I went to Nexen. Half the price and at 40k now they still look new. No difference in overall performance from the factory Michelins and the ride is better. If they sell Nexens in your area they are worth a look. Long term, can't say... still too new. But, so far, so good. :)
  • I have a 2009 limited avalon with somekind of special wheels..........It was a dealer demo and I have only had it about 6 weeks. Today was the first time anyone ever road in the back. We left the movies and drove about two miles ...the back drivers side tire was smoking.... it was gone. The tires say bridgestone....firestone.... the tire just became power....I know the belt broke because I now have dents and scraps on my new car.... to top that off, I have to have a special key to remove the luggnuts which was not in the new car........... then when the spare tire was removed..........It has a different rim and is a different size tire.... it is a michelin........ any one else out there have this kind of problem???
    You appear to have answered your own question as to how this happened: with some kind of special wheels... The wheels and/or tires are oversize in diameter or width or both. When someone rode in the rear seat the tires rubbed the body. This is just one of many possible problems with suspension or wheel/tire modifications to any car, not just Avalons.

If this car came from a Toyota dealer then take it back and demand an answer as to how this happened. Did you sign anything that says the car has wheels and tires that are different and might be a problem? At your risk? Not from Toyota? Or other warnings? And the special wheel lock key? Or not. Approved factory changes should never cause this problem.

Many forum members have wheel and tire modifications to Avalons that work OK. One of them may have more details and suggestions.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,290
    I am considering a set of the newly introduced Grand Touring, 60,000-mile, all-season Goodrich Advantage T/A tires. At Costco the set will cost $372 installed. This is a new tire so there is little information about it on the internet so I was wondering if any of you have any information that you wish to share.

The Costco rep says its a much better tire an improvement over the Traction T/A but I'm skeptical as I've never used that brand before. As a matter of fact I've only used Michelins but at $135 each I wanted to switch to a cheaper tire in these hard economic times but I don't want to regret that decision so any feedback would help.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,290
    I pulled the trigger and bought the Goodrich Advantage T/A tires at Costco but I was duped. First, I bought a $50 membership card with the intention of getting the $70 promotional discount. The tires were not in stock so I had to wait for 5 days, however, when they presented the bill it did not include the discount claiming that the discount was on selected Goodrich tires which did not include the Advantage T/A.

Second, when I returned to have the lug nuts re-torqued I asked the service manager how did the Advantage T/A stack up against the Michelin MXV4. He said the Michelin was a superior tire. I told him how could he say that when to me there was no difference in handling and NHV. He said to wait until January and I will see the difference and that the Advantage T/A is no better than the Track T/A which it replaced.

So far I have driven 118 mostly highway miles on smooth and rough surfaces. The car felt competent on all surfaces but the noise level was a little more noticeable than the Michelin’s on the rough surface. By the way, the tires were inflated with nitrogen at no extra charge but in terms of handling I can’t tell the difference between nitrogen and regular air. Final price for the set of 4 tires including tax, installation, warranty and disposal, $442.36.
    About the N.... the most noticeable difference will be on a very hot afternoon on the interstate. Tire pressure will remain nearer the original cold setting and the car will feel a little more stable. Most other driving will not produce any meaningful difference for the majority of drivers. Extreme cold weather is also better handled by N but you can't feel it as much especially on snow. Good luck with the tires, keep us all informed, they may be winners...... :)
  • Hello everyone... I've got an 07 Avy that has a set of Turanza's on it. Sadly enough, these tires are shot at only 31,000 miles.. on top of that I was never satisfied with the ride I got from the tires. I've had so called "experts" tell me that because the tires are a lower profile tire with less sidewall space, I'm not going to get a "soft" ride out of any tire. Anyway It's time for me to change them out and I was wondering what people thought about these 2 tires... one is the Micheline Primacy Mx4 ( h speed rating / 60K mile tire ) the other is the Toyo Versado Lx ( V speed rating / 40K mile tire ). The problem with both these tires is the cost.. the total out the door cost for the Michelins ( includes alignment ) is $980.00. The Toyo's Versado Lx cost including alignment is $840.00 But even at that, the only reason the toyo's cost less is because I know the owner of the tire store and he said he would sell them to me at a discount to help out on the cost.... otherwise they would have cost an additional 160 bucks, making them cost more than the michelins... I've read mixed reviews on the michelins and I have to be honest, almost all the reviews on the Versado Lx's have been good... but my god, I just hate to spend over 840 dollars for a 40,000 mile rated tire.. any thoughts? bear in mind the most important factor for me is ride smoothness... thanks.

Roland
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I've got an 07 Avy that has a set of Turanza's on it. Sadly enough, these tires are shot at only 31,000 miles..

I only got 27K out of mine. However, I guess I could have squeezed another thousand or two. Anyway, I can you that I put Goodyear Eagle GT and was never happy with them. My car was leased so I had to put a "V" rated tire on. My choices were limited and the Eagle GT was the lowest price option at 750. They had great grip but were noisy and harsh. Michelins wear like iron, but ride firm for some people. I would look at Goodyear Assurance Comforttread. I hear nothing but good things about them on various vehicles.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

At 28k I put Nexen tires on my '07 Limited. Now at 46k and so far they are every bit as good as the Michelin tires I have used for decades. Ask your local dealer about them and see what he says. Have never driven them on snow so that's an unknown but beyond that, a great ride at a bargain price.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    I put Goodyear Assurance Comforttread on my wifes 03 Avalon with the KYB suspension upgrade and Energy performance bushings. Queasy feeling at first. I assume they had not bonded to the wheel yet. Fine now. There is also a similar Tripletread but both may have been supersceded by now. Suspension upgrades detailed on 04 and previous Avalon forum. This car is actually BMW like and fun to drive now. Quick and precise. Ceramic brakes are a big improvement in feel too. Very secure and sporty feel.
  • I could really use some help from all the WONDERFUL members here on the Avalon forums.
    We were forced hard into a curb today by an 82 year old man who cut us off while he was turning onto a local boulevard we were traveling. Thankfully we avoided colliding with him but our evasive measures took us into the curb and trashed my front passenger side rim. He felt really sorry for not seeing us and offered to pay for the damage, but after calling around to 3 local dealerships, a new OEM rim is $455.19 plus another 50.00 or so install on the rubber.
    Does anyone know where I can get a better price on an OEM rim for my 2005 Avalon Limited? It is the stock rim for that year. I LOVE my car as it is " my baby" ( a long story :blush: ) . I only drive it on nice days, hand washed and waxed only by ME, parked in the netherlands, etc... So I can't do refurbished.... Any help on finding a place to order a cheaper rim to save this guy a few dollars would be REALLY appreciated.
    Best regards, Laura
    Look in the trunk. Does this model come with a full size spare and mag wheel? If so, just put it on the ground. If not, try local junkyards or some internet sales sites, such as e-bay. In any case, check the alignment, make sure you get a good wheel and that the TPMS is working when you reinstall. Others will have more ideas... :)
  • dandldandl Posts: 57
    Thanks Fin for the reply!~
    BTW: posted under my hubbies account earlier today....many of you may remember us now, as I used to post frequently under "DandL" when we first purchased our car. :blush:
    Anyway, yes Fin, I do have the full size spare wheel and alloy rim, which is a really nice feature for the Avalon.

I could swap it out and put this horribly scraped up rim in the trunk for a "backup" but it just kind of twists my gut... This is my first (and only) new car I will ever own ( a gift from my deceased mom) . I really want it to last me a long time, and I take extremely good care of it. I just would really like to maintain the integrity of the vehicle as best I can. Hope to hear from more reponders.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Take a look at this link. This would save a lot of money and I am sure it will look perfect.

Ebay Auction

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I posted earlier about my Turanza's being shot at 31K miles... thanks to all that replied... I had my choices narrowed down to one of 3 tires, they were the goodyear triple tread, goodyear comfort tread and the Toyo Versado Lx. Unfortunetly for me, the local goodyear store did not have the comfortread in stock and for some reason was having problem finding out thier exact cost... he had the triple tread in stock, but my god, the price out the door, including an alignment was $1079.00 Nearly 1100 bucks for tires and an alignment... Not for me thank you... Did some more calling around for Toyo's since I had read so many good reviews on the Versado.. Called three stores that handled them, got three different bids ranging from a high of 960.00 to a low of 760.00 ( including alignment, road hazard, nitrogen filled, out the door ) Have only had the tires on the car for 3 days now, but I can already tell you that they do ride smoother than the turanza's... Of course the versado is only a 40K mile "v" rated tire, but even at that they should last me a couple of years if not more.

Roland
    Sounds like a good deal on the package. Keep everyone informed as to wear, any problems, ride quality, etc. Toyo makes a great tire, we had one set several years ago on a Honda (not the Versado tire). They were V rated, I think, and did fine. Enjoy the ride.... :)
    I bought TripleTreds for my '08 Avalon and the price came to $688.76 including tax. The Goodyear dealer deducted $140 from this for the OEM tires on the car (they only had 2K miles on them). The price of a single tire was $149.00. The car was new so I didn't have any alignment. They now have 36K on them and aren't really showing any signs of wear. They are really excellent in rain and work well in snow.
  • This is great to hear... I helped a friend of mine procure TripleTreds for her Suburu Outback to replace her Bridgestone Potenza's and they are the best tires she has ever owned! Did you replace your Avy's tires with a "V" or "H" rated tire? I won't need tires for my Avy for another 20K miles or so, but did check out TripleTred pricing and found around $200 for a "V" speed rated tire. The original MIchelen MSV Pilots on my '07 Avy are a great dry pavement tire, OK on wet pavement and are not very good on snow/ice.
This discussion has been closed.