Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Electrical Problems

Comments

• bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    jenshi: Stop wasting your time and go to a Toyota dealer--must be one or two in your area. They (should) know the car and early Avalon's were fairly bulletproof cars. Good luck!
    Bob
  • I am actually having this problem right now with my 2002 XLS. It just started yesterday and is irritating me. A lot.

All of the electrical systems work fine. I can turn on the headlights and play the radio etc., but when I turn on the ignition, everything dies. If I open the hood, then shut it again, the lights come back on. Sometimes, the car will start and be fine. Sometimes the dashboard doesn't work at all but the climate control and radio will work. It seems that there is some issue with the engine immobilizer. Could this be an issue with a fuse or is the compter going wonky?
  • It sounds very much like you have corroded terminals in either your battery or the cables and clamps connecting them. Check them out thoroughly, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that this is the case. Once you find the corroded terminal(s), your problem should be solved.

Steve
  • I checked the termninals and the cables and there isn't any corrosion. I started the car last afternoon about 15 times in a row and it started fine and all of the systems were working. However the dashboard data was all reset (January 1st, compass pointing the wrong direction, etc...).

I guess it's time to take it in. Thanks for your help.
  • Hello wseattle78,

My mother had this same problem with her 99 Avalon XLS. In Canada they came with automatic headlights. It says in her owners manual to turn the headlights to the off position, as to extend battery life, as the sensor can drain power when the car is off. On a side note in her case it turned to be that the keyfob is open the trunk after a very light press. (future Avalons require you to hold the trunk open option for several seconds) The light in the trunk is a simple loop from battery to trunk switch to trunk lamp to ground, with no light in the dash to indicate its opening. The lamps draws alot of power and caused her to run down 3 batterys before I trouble shot the problem. (we live 2000km apart) Installed an LED trunk light that drew less power and her problems were solved($12.00). Also if you find that that helps I can provide info to install an inline LED to the trunk lamp circuit so it lights up in the dash cluster to indicate the trunk is open.

Sorry for the winded reply,

Netwon
  • jenshijenshi Posts: 6
    the three light was turned down two month ago, now three light is on again. so i have to repair it at no choice. today i went to the dealer first, i just want to know the retailer price. the guy told me the TPS is THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR $75, and not the technician said truck control sensor, but the technician told me TPS will cost around $400. so i want to know does anybody here know about truck control sensor, or the technician gave me the wrong name? and does someone here know how much the TPS, I just want to make sure the guy gave me the right price for my 2000 avalon. thanks a lot.
  • jenshijenshi Posts: 6
    three lights are checking engine light, vsc, and vsc off .
  • Traction control off light comes on when car is running.
    ABS is off.Trac on /off switch is O.K. What might make this light stay on?
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Forum:

My washer pump is not working. 86K on 02 car. Wipers work so it is not the fuse (25A). Pump located underneath car. Can someone go through how to do it yourself if they have before. If not, I will do it myself on Saturday. No way to access pump from engine bay. Toyota wanted $60, Advance Auto $33, and NAPA $26.

abfisch
  • did you figure out why the light comes on? my avalon is doing the same thing.
  • Usually happens when an error code is stored. Anytime the engine has a problem, the ECM detects it and shuts off the trac control. Don't know why Toyota did that. Check for an error code 1st. Also, does it come on after you start the engine like within 3 seconds or so, or does it come on while driving?

Steve :shades:
  • It comes on when the car is started and yes my check engine light just came on then the trac off light came on right after and has been on ever since. I will have to check for code errors I believe it might be an oxygen sensor.

Jay
  • 2ktoy2ktoy Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a 2000 Toyota Avalon XL 80K miles on this baby, when I start the car at night to go work I notice the lights tends to slightly flicker, head lights, inside lights and dash board lights not very noticeable, but just enought to get your attention. Engine clean, batterys cables clean, I was wondering if it's the Alternator going or this comes with age and miles? thanks.
    Tring to find out how much it is going to cost to replace or repair an ALTERNATOR on a 2000 Toyota Avalon?.

Thxs.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Do the lights flicker just one time and never again? Shortly after you first start the car the ABS unit does a self test, I did notice on my '03 XL that when I started it at night with the dash lights on I would get a little flicker when I heard the self test, much like the lights in your house dimming when the Air conditioner or Fridge cycles on.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• ok boys help me out here... when I bought my 07 avy the only thing I hated about it was the fact that the seat belt chime would ring 59 times before shutting off. then someone on this board sent me instructions on how to bypass the chimes and it worked perfectly.. but almost immediately after doing that I noticed a light on the dash that I never noticed before. over to the right on the dash, when i first start my engine, there is a light that says "passenger", just below that are two icons that look like seats.. as you're looking at the dash, the icon on the left says "off", the icon on the right says "on". does that mean when I bypassed the seat belt chime that I also turned off my drivers side air bag? and if so, can I turn it back on by repeating the process I used to bypass the seatbelt chime...heck, I'll start wearing the damn seatbelt if I have to, but i sure dont want to travel without that airbag on. any help you can offer will certainly be appreciated... thanks.

Roland
    It may have been me that gave you the instructions. But the light you are seeing has to do with the newer generation airbags. If there is not enough weight in the seat (i.e. small child) the light will read "airbag off" When an adult sits in the seat it will change to "airbag on." Try this, when sitting in the driver's seat press hard on the passenger side seat bottom, the light will switch to "airbag on" This is the way it works on my '06 and my seat belt chime has been disabled since the second day I owned the car.

It continues to flicker, however as the car warms up and is driven it becomes a little less noticable, last night I disconected the positive cable from the battery while the car was running it didn't shut off, but the dash board lights started to flash.">
  • Tjc78...

First of all, thank you very much for those instructions. I appreciate it enormously.. my only question to you is "does disabling the seat belt chime also disable the drivers side or any other air bag in the car? Thanks again.

Roland
    I can not imagine that disabling the seat belt chime would shut off the airbags. That would be totally insane. I seem to remember reading on another forum, that someone had a dealer perform the procedure (after a lot of arguing) so that alone leads me to believe that the airbags are not affected.

Also, when someone sits in my passenger seat the light on the dash says "airbag on." You are welcome for the instructions, but I can't take credit I copied it from another posting.