Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions

Comments

• cgar,

I notice that you joined this thread recently. Have you had a chance to review older comments on this issue? This kind of surge behavior in Avalons may be caused or accentuated by the position of the foot on the gas pedal. Numerous Avalon drivers who had "surge" or "hesitation" problems turned out to be "toe drivers" and they were able to improve their car's response by moving the heel forward and pressing at a higher point on the gas pedal. See in the Avalon 2005+ discussion,

#11794 How do YOU step on the gas pedal? Initial Poll Results

and many following posts.

Incidentally, changing their foot position seems to have worked also for readers who drive other car brands with similar surge or hesitation problems.

havalongavalon
  • ososlickososlick Posts: 12
    It was a very happy day when I purchased my new xls back in march, 2005. Tomorrow will be an even happier day as i am trading it in for a domestic brand. likewise, the constant quirky transmission problem made a nice car very unpleasurable to drive. what a shame that i have to take a financial beating because of toyota design defficiency. this will be toyota's loss ultimately as others like myself switch to another brand. good riddance avalon and toyota! :lemon:
  • bailboybailboy Posts: 20
    I would have to agree with everyone else with the transmissions problems in the Avalon. I bought my 2005 touring model used in 2006. I have had it a year and I get transmission, throttle hesitation. Sometimes the transmission hunts gears or gets stuck in between gears on the highway causing it to suddenly drop into gear. It's difficult to drive in snow, no traction control, throttle\transmission problems end up making the tires spin a lot. Not a safe car in my opinion. I am finally trading it in for a diesel jetta, hoping they have worked out their own reliability problems. The new DSG transmission was real nice.

I am a big toyota fan until I bought the 05 Avalon I loved my 96 tacoma and wish i never sold it. My GF has a 2002 maxima and the 4sp transmission works perfect....why can't toyota's be just as smooth?

I also test drove an 07 recently while getting my unwelded steering column replaced. The quirky transmission problems were also on the 07 model. The other thing I don't like is that it takes ALOT of foot on the break to get the car to stop....

Bye bye avalon. I hope they correct their issues....perhaps maybe they will bring diesels to the US soon..
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    You should change your agreeing "with everyone else" to agreeing with a small, vocal minority. The vast majority of newer Avalon owners are as I am, completely satisfied with a magnificent automobile!
    Sorry but it's bigger than the small vocal minority. There have been articles in newspapers online regarding Toyota's drop in quality and the issue with the transmissions. Even the service manager told me all the 3.5 liter 5sp transmissions give the same problems. Do a little more research and you will find all the complaints. The 2007 I test drove has the same issue as my 2005...so obviously it is more than the minority.
    This issue was laid to rest some time back. You cannot assuage your feelings by making your negative experiences a vast generalization when, in actuality, the substantive complaints have been very few in number.
    I won't argue the issue with you. It's all over the internet, the service manager at my stealership has admitted the problems. It's not a generalization. Just be glad you are the minority and have not had issues...
    Thanks for clarifying things on this issue. You'd better tell Consumer Reports, Edumunds and the other auto reviewers, however, because their publications don't seem be in line with your views.
    Don't need to tell CR or Edmund's, all a person has to do is do a search online and there will be floods of information regarding the issue. I hope you don't base your vehicle purchase decisions on just Edmund's and CR, if so...well I won't go there...Also there has never been a long term study from any of these website's regarding the transmission issues, and none of them has ever taken an Avalon to evaluate the accuracy of the 1000's of complaints online. Just like I did not notice the issue until after driving it a while. Sorry for your lack of knowledge on this issue but try again..
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    all a person needs to do is go to the NHTSA site and search back several years on anecdotes posted by Lexus and Toyota vehicle owners...

then there are several forums here that have been shut down over the years because of disagreements between people with the issue and people without, and others claiming some were out to bring down the house of Toyota. :surprise:

it's not just the Avalon or Camry, and it's not news.
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    A couple of months ago, I replaced my 2005 XLS with a 2007 - same model, same equipment. I have had no transmission problems with either. My 2005 replaced a Lexus GS 400, also a fine car, but the current model Avalon is nearly as good, for a lot less money and better fuel efficiency - excellent value.
    I guess you and I will go blithely on our ways driving the only two decently-made Avalons produced in the last three years.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I know or have driven plenty of Toyotas if the problem is so widespread (other than internet forums where as a generality people go to find answers or complain) how can one explain this:
    My '06 Avalon NONE
    Mom's '05 Highlander (3.3) NONE
    Friend's '06 (3.3) Higlander NONE
    Friend's '07 (3.5) Camry NONE
    Also at work they bought 3 '07 4cyl Camrys for the salesman, not a complaint. When talking about the car I asked each of them if they were experiencing any hesitations. They all have at least 7500 miles now. I would think that if it was such a "widespread" problem one of these vehicles would have it.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    With 7k on the odo my '07 Limited continues to be perfect. Only trip back to the dealer so far was for an oil change at 5k miles. Hits 30 mpg+ on the interstate to FL. So, there seems to be at least three bolted together fairly well........ :shades:
    It's funny every time someone posts something negative it's because we are trying to put down a particular brand. When it's been in the papers, all over the internet and when the service managers even admit to the complaints....this means it is common. I have run into a lot of other avalon owners at gas stations who have the same issues with the transmission. So...not to beat a dead horse, but your opinion is your opinion...but when I search the internet....the results are what tells the truth about the problem. I know there are tons of other people with the same issues that I have. So while you don't, good for you you got the ripe apple...

My service dept told me to keep checking back periodically for software updates for the transmission\computer issue. Now why would they say that?
    I'm glad, Miss Pollyanna, that you believe that searching the internet reveals "the truth." Myspace and Youtube must love you!
    Dealers must love you...considering you don't read what's actually out there...anyway I am off to trade this POS in. Enjoy your flagship sedan..
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Are we forgetting that Toyota issued a TSB in the spring of 2003 describing 3 of the EXACT circumstances wherein the 1-2 second engine transaxle delay/hesitation was/is likely to occur?

Isn't it pretty obvious that if you never encounter any of those EXACT circumstances you are likely to feel you have a "perfect" Toyota?
  • niteoneniteone Posts: 41
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t197136.html

06/07 Avalon owners are all to familiar with the jerky/sloppy shifting and acceleration of these vehicles. There have been countless complaints about this on different forums on the WEB.

Yesterday I purchased a one day subscription to -> http://techinfo.toyota.com looking for resolution to another issue. At that site I found all TSBs - trouble service bulletins.

TSB EG029-07 was released on 6/6/07 and deals specifically with the shifting/accel issues on 06/07 Avalons.

If your vin precedes VIN number 4T1BK36B#7U243331 this TSB should help. The 10th digit in all vins is the year, so this should definitely help all '06 Avalon owners. The # sign in the 9th digit represent a check digit which will vary from car to car.

I would have attached the entire document, but this site does not allow it. Here's a brief part of the text at the front of the TSB:

To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine
    Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has
    been revised. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.

You may see the enire PDF in the Avalon forum at:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com

or at least until the forum moderators over there remove it.

A txt version of it follows - not as easy a read as the pdf at the tundrasolutions forums, but data nonetheless:

ENGINE

Technical Service
    BULLETIN

June 6, 2007

Title:

ECM CALIBRATION: ENHANCEMENT
    TO SHIFTING PERFORMANCE.
    & SMOOTHNES.

Models:

’06 – ’07 Avalon

EG029-07
    Introduction
    To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine
    Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has
    been revised. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.

NOTE:

Before proceeding, verify the ECM (PCM) calibration has NOT been updated by
    checking for the Authorized Modifications Label (shown in step 1 of the
    Repair Procedure).

Applicable .
    2006 – 2007 model year Avalon vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change
    Vehicles

Effective VIN shown below.

Production
    Change
    Information

MODEL PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Avalon 4T1BK36B#7U243331

Parts
    Information

MODEL
    YEAR
    PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
    89661–07450
    89661–07471* ECM (PCM)( ) –89661–07451
    2007 89661–07470
    – N/A 00451–00001–LBL Authorized
    Modifications Label

* The ECM (PCM) should NOT be replaced as part of the Repair Procedure.
    NOTE:

Authorized Modification Labels may be ordered in packages of 25 from the Materials
    Distribution Center (MDC) through Dealer Daily Dealer Support Materials System or by
    calling the MDC at 1–800–622–2033.

Warranty
    Information

OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG7023 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) 0.9 89661–##### 26 99

Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is
    in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
    in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s

specific complaint.
    Toyota Supports ASE Certification
    Page 1 of 4


    ECM CALIBRATION: ENHANCEMENT TO SHIFTING PERFORMANCE & SMOOTHNESS – EG029-07 June 6,

Required
    Tools &
    Material

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER PART NUMBER QTY
    TIS Techstream*
    NOTE: Software version 2.00.008 or
    later is required.
    ADE TSUNT 1
    GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station* SPX/OTC 00002–MCGR8 1

* Essential SSTs.
    NOTE:

Additional Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved Dealer
    Equipment (ADE) at 1–800–368–6787.
    The Toyota Diagnostic Tester and CAN Interface Module may also be used to
    perform the service procedures listed in this bulletin.
    The GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station (P/N 00002–MCGR8) supersedes the
    Automatic Trickle Charger (P/N 00002–YA122–01) and Fast Battery Chargers
    (Associated P/N ASE6003 and Christie P/N CAPPDQ). P/N 00002–YA122–01,
    ASE6003, and CAPPDQ are now obsolete.
    Calibration
    Identification
    Chart

MODEL MODEL YEAR
    PREVIOUS
    CALIBRATION ID
    NEW
    CALIBRATION ID
    VDS
    AvalonAvalon
    2006 30705000
    30705100 3070710030707100 BK36BBK36B
    2007 30707000

NOTE:

Vehicles which have been flash reprogrammed using the procedures in this TSB
    will contain upgraded 2007 model year OBD II logic. Refer to the 2007 model year
    Avalon Repair Manual on the Technical Information System (TIS) when checking
    Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) on 2006 model year vehicles that
    have been reprogrammed.

Page 2 of 4


    ECM CALIBRATION: ENHANCEMENT TO SHIFTING PERFORMANCE & SMOOTHNESS – EG029-07 June 6,

Repair 1. Check for the Authorized Modifications Label affixed to the vehicle in the

shown in Figure 1. Confirm if the ECM (PCM) calibration has been updated. If the
    calibration ID listed is NOT the latest ECM (PCM) calibration — go to step 2.

Replacement
    ECM (PCM)
    Part
    Number

Calibration
    ID(s)

THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:
    89661–07471
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED
    AS APPROPRIATE BY EPA AND CARB
    DEALER CODE: DATE:
    CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB EG029–07

Date
    Completed

Dealer Code
    TSB Number

Figure 1. Location of Authorized Modifications Label on 2007 Avalon

2. Flash Reprogram the ECM (PCM).
    NOTE:

The GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station MUST be used in Power Supply Mode to
    maintain battery voltage at 13.5 volts while flash reprogramming the vehicle.
    For details on how to use the GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station, refer to the GR8
    Instruction Manual located on TIS, Diagnostics – Battery.
    Follow the procedures outlined in TSB No. SS002–07, “Techstream ECU Flash
    Reprogramming Procedure,” and flash the ECM (PCM) with the NEW calibration
    file update.

Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature before test–driving.
    Test–drive the vehicle to confirm proper vehicle operation (and proper laser cruise
    control operation, if so equipped).
    Page 3 of 4



Repair 5. Install the Authorized Modifications Label.

A. Using a permanent marker, enter the following information on the label:
    Procedure
    (Continued)

ECM part number: [Refer to the Parts Information section for the CURRENT
    PART NUMBER]
    Calibration ID(s): [Refer to the Calibration Identification Chart for the NEW
    CALIBRATION ID]
    Dealer Code
    Repair Date
    Change Authority (this TSB number): EG029–07
    B.
    Affix the Authorized Modifications Label to the vehicle at the location shown in
    Figure 1. The Authorized Modifications Label is available through the MDC,
    P/N 00451–00001–LBL.
    Page 4 of 4

Thanks t