Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions

1121314151618»

Comments

• avvy05avvy05 Posts: 8
    Hello I am 2005 Avalon owner. I called Toyota corporate office to inquire about transmission fix and they said that no such a fix is available for 05 models. Can anyone include new link to that TSB since the links posted here no longer work.
  • mbs171mbs171 Posts: 4
    i have a copy on pdf of the tsb for 05 avalon transmission fix- pm me with email addy andi will send it to whomever wants it
  • This one?

ENGINE
    EG033-07

Title:
    ECM CALIBRATION: ENHANCEMENT
    TO SHIFTING PERFORMANCE
    & SMOOTHNESS

Models:
    '05 Avalon

June 20, 2007

Introduction

To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised and certain fuel control feedback components have been updated. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.
    NOTE :Before proceeding, verify the ECM (PCM) calibration has NOT been updated by checking for the Authorized Modifications Label (shown in Figure 11 of the Repair Procedure).

Applicable Vehicles
    ^ 2005 model year Avalon vehicles.
  • mbs171mbs171 Posts: 4
    Yes, that is the one.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Posts: 154
    I bought my 07 Avy in Sept. of 06. Kept reading about, but never really experiencing the "slipping transmission" problem. However there were a few times that at very low speeds, I did notice some sort of "hesitation". Like I said it was pretty much an occassional thing, certainly not something I noticed daily, that is until recently. Then I noticed it nearly every single day. Started researching tsb's on the net and came up with the following tsb number : EG029-07 This tsb was issued by Toyota for 06 and new avalons. So when I took my car in yesterday to the dealer for an oil change, I asked the service writer about the tranny issue. His reply was there had been some issues with the camry, but not the Avalon. Imagine the look on his face when I presented him with the TSB # which specifically deals with the Avy. They called it up, I was right, they performed the update and now it seems to be running correctly again. Hope this helps some of you with 06 or newer avy's dealing with slipping transmissions.

Roland
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Be aware that in the process of installing TSBs many times the ECU is reset and will then use the factory default control parameters until the correct "real time" parameters are learned yet again. That process might take as much as 500 miles of "mixed" driving.

So it is entirely possible that the change, running perfectly "again", may be the result of the reversion to the factory default parameters and therefore only a temporary "fix".
  • My 2007 Avalon was purchased in November of 2006. I had the ECU reprogramed within six months of purchase and it has been just fine since then. Hopefully you will have the same long lasting result.
  • i would love to get a copy of the transmission TSB for the 05's, but for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to PM.
  • I purchase my 07 avalon in 1107. It has been a lemon for many reasons, but here and now the tranny. The car had low speed hesitations and clunking sounds as per the other posts. In 1007 the dealer claims to have recalibrated per tsb eg029-07. This fixed the hesitations and clunking; however,my fuel economy has dropped 10-15%. The net effect of this recalibration was to increase the speed/rpm at which the tranny changes gears. So while cruising the blvd at 35/40 mph I am reviving away at 2000 rpm,... rather than 1500 rpm. You get the picture. The dealer and corp have no remedies to offer for this and the other problems, other than arbitration. Good luck with you issues. guyramon
  • Guyramon...

LIke you I too have an 07 Avy, and also like you, had the recalibration done to my car. After reading your post about how your engine was turning higher rpm's @ lower speeds, I decided to check mine out... here's my results:

@ 35 mph = 1550 rpm's
    @ 40 mph = 1700 rpm's
    @ 50 mph = 1500 rpm's ( perhaps a tad higher, 1525/1550 )
    @ 60 mph = 2000 rpm's

I can also say that I noticed an immediate difference in the shifting pattern, primarily at low end speeds, after the calibration was done.
    As for mileage, my normal daily drive is a combination of city / highway and I'm averaging approx. 26.5 mpg... On a recent "short" highway jaunt into texas a month or so back I was averaging between 29 & 30 mpg with the ac on.

Roland
  • ergo1ergo1 Posts: 1
    Thanks for the offer. Please send PDF to Onlyraleigh@hotmail.com

Ergo1
  • pope414pope414 Posts: 1
    please send to mitch.pope@suddenlink.net if you still have it. thanks.
  • Would greatly appreciate it if I too could get a copy of the PDF of the TSB for the 05 Avalon. Thanks!

My email address is: lexpark1@yahoo.com
  • would appreciate a copy of a TSB if any exists to show the dealer PCM or ECM . for I am having the same shifting problems on my 2008 limited. thanks.
  • W, I'm not sure about a TSB for 2008 models. EG029-07 covers shifting performance for 2006/2007 models (ECM Calibration), and is available at various sites. Just put Toyota TSBs into a search engine like Google, etc..
  • Thank you for the assist. I could use a copy sent to harvalsto@hotmail.com before I begin the battle with the dealer.
  • Hi can I please have a copy on PDF of the TSB 2005 Toyota Avalon? I just bought this car 32 days ago and just past 5 days I have been having bad hesitation in transmission, and in stop/go traffic its really bad. guess I should have done more research be for I bought this car. But the info I am asking for will be huge help My e-mail is bdaniels6240@gmail.com... thank you very much