Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Navigation System

Comments

• nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    That's where I found it. Page 206. It's easier to find things if you go to the owner's website and download each section of the manual and then use some freeware to combine them into one "pdf" file. It's then searchable!
  • Many thanks!!! It worked.
  • Thank you Thank you Thank you

Dealer wanted 6300 bucks to fix(Replace Unit). Followed your instructions with a small drawback. I broke one of the battery prongs removing it and had to get a new battery. $3.59 delivered from e-bay. It took about 5 minutes for the GPS to figure out where it was but its working perfectly. It still is a horrible GPS. My garmin for 119 bucks is far superior except for the screen size.

Again Thank you
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    How do I tell my system to allow freeways and toll roads as a normal thing?

I did find that after I selected a destination I could edit the route and tell it to allow these.

Do I have to do this for every entry or is there a general screen to do so? If so, how?

Thanks.
  • The toggle switch has always been difficult to use from the first day we owned the car, but recently has become impossible to use in selecting any of the menu items such as using the navigation system, setting the clock, looking at mileage info, etc. Is there a way to replace only the toggle switch? Our dealer insists they have had no problems with the system and that no problems exist.
  • My toggle (rocker) switch has also become impossible to use. The local Toyota dealer only wants $1200 to fix it. Has anyone any ideas for a cheaper fix?

This is probably our first and last Toyota.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    Call up some local junkyards, and/or scour EBay to find one used.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• dibilldibill Posts: 1
    I just bought a beautiful, almost new (7500mi) 2010 Avalon. The nav system is driving me crazy! I have used a Garmin for several years and it works great most of the time. The Toyota destination entry system does not recognize streets or town that have existed for years and it won't allow progressing further with data entry if a street is not on its list. How can you solve this? I have ensured I am in the correct region of the US.
  • earnest37earnest37 Posts: 5
    Only one way to "correct" the problem is to install the latest dvd into the unit in the trunk (left side, under the cover). However, I would NOT do it myself because many people have ended up with problems not only related to the map system alone. Remember, your dashboard screen serves several functions. Local cost is about $200 for the dvd but, if you choose to go this route have the dealer do the installation because if a problem arises the dime will be on them. I simply keep my $100 Magellan unit in the car if I really need to have an exact address. In this regard Toyota has really screwed up on what is otherwise a very fine car.
  • earnest37earnest37 Posts: 5
    Okay, maybe it's not good for the driver to enter information while driving but what about the passenger? Couldn't someone figure out that if a passenger is in the passenger's seat they could enter information? The seat belt bell will ring if someone is in that seat without their belt in place so information is available somewhere! Maybe a button on the far right side of the dash could be pushed to allow the passenger to enter information. With all the hoops you have to jump through to turn off the seat belt bell seems like a small process to allow the passenger to enter route info. Just a thought.
  • quickest routes on nav are the slowest routes on my tom tom.toyota nav always and i mean always forces you to back roads to extend your trip and make every trip hellish
  • did you figure this out?
  • STill waiting. Any ideas?
  • no.but youd think choosing the fastest route everytime would correct this and allow freeways.i knew buying this car id get a horrific nav
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    How can you find out which version you have? Is it listed on the DVD?

What is the newest, and is it much better?

Skip

2011 Limited

PS Is it worth it to upgrade or just rough it out until my 2013 get's here:)?
  • you gettin the 2013? im definitely not.toyota shouldnt of made it look sporty.gonna get a LS460
  • Anyone with knowledge of a DVD Nav player PN 86841-41020 for sale at a reasonable price? This is a Gen 3 unit and apparently no other Gen 3 unit will work on the Avalon. Thanks
  • why doesn't the clock change automatically when you set the nav system for Day light savings time? When you turn it off nothing happens as well...
    The only fix was to manually change the clock..

Anyone have an easy solution?
  • Ok, just go over to no and the clock will go to normal times, seems strange but the yes and no is asking do u want daylight saving time. This works just changed mine. Tom
  • In Aug'12 purchased a '11AV Limited with Navigation which I am still slowly learning to use. This has to 10.1 version DVD Nav. disc which was developed in 2010 for the 2011 AV. production. Two Toy. dealers want $169.00 for a 12.1 Nav. disc update. Has anyone updated their disc to newer versions? Is it worthwhile. Use the Nav. 1-2 times a month. Any suggestions?