Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Navigation System

Comments

• When you resolve your issue please post the results. I've gotten no where with my dealer other than it's an issue Toyota is aware of and not resolvable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Good Luck to you. Whatever your choices are, they are the right ones. My feeling is I want everything integrated and th at works for me.
  • pulonepulone Posts: 11
    go to Cons Reports, (Oct?) and they evaluate about 20 different ones..... If not Oct, see index on current one, and it will tell you which issue, worth the trip to your local library
  • I have an 05 Ltd with the DVD navigation system and the Maintenance reminders. I change my on oil at 5000 mile intervals and enter the 5000 mile interval into the oil change and filter areas of the maintenance reminders. The problem I have is that several times the system has stopped counting down to the oil change mileage and I believe is hung up at 1661 or some similar number. Anyone else had this issue and/or know how to correct. Thanks.

BC
  • Hi,
    I just purchased an Avalon XLS 2007. It has a navigation DVD but i can't figure out where to insert it. It is nowhere in the manual. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    I have not actually put a dvd in but I did see the unit.

Look under the little well on the left side in the trunk. Pull out the insulation and I believe you will see the unit.

Good luck

Al
  • fmflfmfl Posts: 16
    I traded a 2003 Honda Accord with navigation and bought a 2008 Toyota Avalon Limited with all the bells and whistles. The Avalon is a wonderful car ... but the navigation really sucks. My Honda navigation was a joy to use. The Avalon navigation operation reminds me of a kid playing with a rubic's cube ... your hands are flying all over the place, you are making mistakes, and little is being accomplished. The Honda touch screen was a joy to use ... the Avalon navigation is misery. If Toyota makes some kind of solution for this junk let us know.
  • I have a 2007 avalon with a GPS....I can not tell you how many times this thing has taken me astray...Ihave told the dealer to no avail. I have called the toyota home office and they say they have no complaints about the GPS system. Are you guys complaining, are you having them write up a work order ticket and are you calling the main office?
  • The other response you got for your question is correct. Its in the trunk and the eject button is covered up but a small piece of plastic that you slide over to expose the eject button.

For any others wondering about the upgrade process, I just upgraded to the latest maps on our 2006 Avalon Limited. I waited 2 years before forking over the $250 (list price) for these newer maps... I went from v5.1 to 7.1. The Toyota service bulletin lists the counties that have upgraded maps before you decide if its worth the upgrade. Our county in northeast Florida is building subdivisions like crazy for the last few years so it was an easy decision for us to upgrade.

While the engine was on, I simply ejected the old version and inserted the new DVD and it never missed a step. It remembered our saved locations with no problems. There were new software features added to our Generation 3 unit.

Regards
    Greg

2006 Avalon Limited, with all available factory options.
    2001 Avalon XLS (best quality of our four Toyotas)
    2000 Camry (problems galore including new engine at 60k)
    1995 Camry (225,000 miles and still running strong)
  • ... have a 2007 avalon with a GPS....I can not tell you how many times this thing has taken me astray...Ihave told the dealer to no avail. I have called the toyota home office and they say they have no complaints about the GPS system...

Toyota America is lying to you. I finally got results after I called Toyota in Japan (Tokyo)and sent them documentation of my travails with the factory representative who saw my car malfunction and said that there was nothing wrong with the system. A certified letter to Toyota in California got me a phone call from a representative who said that the word of the Factory Representative was final and I could go to arbitration if I felt there was a basis for a complaint. They refused to put their response in writing. After the call to Japan (which must be made at night after 9PM EST), the lady I spoke to, who spoke perfect English, expressed the concern that the position being taken by Toyota America was not appropriate and that she would contact them. I received a call from a gentleman in the Executive Offices of Toyota America after about 5 days who advised me that they had heard about problems with the Navigation system. He said that they intend to make changes in future models. I asked what good that would do for me and he asked me what I would thought would be appropriate. I said I either wanted the system fixed or I wanted monetary compensation for the less-than-perfect system.
    He asked what I thought would be appropriate. I asked for $500 and he agreed. I got a check with a cover letter that made no mention of the problem, merely that the check was for "goodwill". Anybody with the problem should consider dealing with Toyota regarding this problem in the same way since they are taking the STONEWALL POSITION on the problems with this system. I got the number for Toyota by going on the Toyota website (Japan). Good Luck to All. Write back after you try this! It worked for me! :mad: :) By the way.... I used STARTEC phone service (see GOOGLE) The call to Japan for 20+ minutes cost about $1.00
  • See message #212 for what I accomplished
  • :) :) :) I finally got results after I called Toyota in Japan (Tokyo)and sent them documentation of my travails with the factory representative who saw my car malfunction and said that there was nothing wrong with the system. A certified letter to Toyota in California got me a phone call from a representative who said that the word of the Factory Representative was final and I could go to arbitration if I felt there was a basis for a complaint. They refused to put their response in writing. After the call to Japan (which must be made at night after 9PM EST), the lady I spoke to, who spoke perfect English, expressed the concern that the position being taken by Toyota America was not appropriate and that she would contact them. I received a call from a gentleman in the Executive Offices of Toyota America after about 5 days who advised me that they had heard about problems with the Navigation system. He said that they intend to make changes in future models. I asked what good that would do for me and he asked me what I would thought would be appropriate. I said I either wanted the system fixed or I wanted monetary compensation for the less-than-perfect system.
    He asked what I thought would be appropriate. I asked for $500 and he agreed. I got a check with a cover letter that made no mention of the problem, merely that the check was for "goodwill". Anybody with the problem should consider dealing with Toyota regarding this problem in the same way since they are taking the STONEWALL POSITION on the problems with this system. I got the number for Toyota by going on the Toyota website (Japan). Good Luck to All. Write back after you try this! It worked for me! By the way.... I used STARTEC phone service (see GOOGLE) The call to Japan for 20+ minutes cost about $1.00
    good for you,

I may do something similar.

bob
  • I think anyone getting run over by Toyota should take an action like this. Don't let them get away with it. They think they can run roughshod over the consumer.
  • I want to purchase upgrade disc for 03 system To install is it just a matter of switching discs in the trunk?
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    Yes. Please be sure to get the correct disc. The disc from Toyota is 00110-DVD07-CY.
    Has anyone else had their NAV SYS just plain freeze? Mine does it about twice a month, when on longer trips, on fwy. Dealer can't duplicate the probelm, so I am stuck with it.

bob
  • b1gatorb1gator Posts: 12
    I have an 05 Limited and i've had it do that several times when I'm driving to a set destination and it stops counting down the mileage to go even though the map still moves. Sometimes pushing the Nav button again will get it to update but not always.

BC
  • coach57coach57 Posts: 5
    I just recently bought my first toyota a 2008 avalon limited absolutely love this car just have one problem when using the voice activated system will ask it to swich to am radio and nav responds atm icons showing on map. If not in the gps mode it recognizes the command this is not the only command it gets wrong is this a common occurance or am I doing something wrong thanks for the help.
  • generosegenerose Posts: 35
    Dear Coach57-
    Sorry to hear you are having these problems with the NAV system on your '08 model. : :cry:
    This is a continuation of the problems experienced with 2007 models and earlier. Toyota apparently has not addressed the problems and probably will continue to deny that they exist. See my several posts and what I did to get some financial resolution for the problems with the system.

Generose
  • See my posts on this issue. I have an 07 Avalon. Toyota Corp refuses to acknowledge an issue and has no fix.However, the local dealer service folks agree that it doesn't work properly.
    I say the command go home and it gives me everything except ...go home....

Very disappointing that Toyota has denied a fix..
    SEE POSTS #212 & #214 FOR MY RESOLUTION WITH TOYOTA
  • coach57coach57 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info guys glad to see it was not me but sad to hear something this expensive is having these type problems.
  • caprobcaprob Posts: 3
    Greg, you mentioned that there were software changes to the 7.1 upgrade. Do you know what they were. I spent a whole day between Torrance, the local dealer and many other connections and was told that there were no program corrections, additions or changes to the upgrade, only map things. Thanks rob
  • cwgmomcwgmom Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 08 Avalon Limited with all the bells and whistles. It has the latest version "according to Toyota" v7.1 (Fall of 07) yet maps are not as up to date as TomTom current maps for the east (north & south) or the Nav thru Verizon wireless. I have lived in my house for almost 2 yrs and I can't even register my address. any suggestions?
  • caprobcaprob Posts: 3
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you, along with many others have been sold a lemon of a ‘nav’ system. It started with the ’05 model change and Toyota will not admit that there is anything wrong with it. 7.1 is the latest update and those who have 6.1 or 5.1 don’t want to upgrade for several hundred of dollars without any corrections to the program, not to mention the maps. Also, the voice system has major flaws with non recognition of commands and then entering something completely different than the desired action. Toyota customer relations in Torrance, CA. (No. America HQ for Toyota) is completely a circus. Not only don’t they know anything but they refuse to admit that there is a problem at all. I, along with many others have spent many months, years trying to get help to no avail. I would like to ask you some specific questions on your system but they ask that no e-mail addresses be used. Good luck and if you get any satisfaction let us know. Rob
  • fmflfmfl Posts: 16
    I totally agree with 228 and 229 above. This Toyota Avalon navigation system is the worst piece of junk ever foisted on people like me who used to hold anything Toyota did on the highest pedestal. Shame on you Toyota for ruining a nice car like the Avalon with a navigation system that is impossible to operate, doesn't operate when the car is moving, does not understand voice anything, doesn't know where much of anything is, e.g., post office, will not turn off, and does not tell you much of anything in real time, or any other time for that matter. I asked Toyota for a refund, or to take the damned car back ... silence. This thing really stinks in every respect!
  • gomst1gomst1 Posts: 58
    I used the "mark" command to establish my "Home" on my 2006 Avalon. While park in front of my house, I commanded the Nav to mark the spot my car is parked.
    I then looked for that info on the Nav then name it "Home". Worked for me.
    COMPLAIN! COMPLAIN! COMPLAIN! to the dealer..... to Toyota in California.... and to Toyota in Japan. See my earlier messages. They really will try to ignore you unless you are vigorous in your actions :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: