Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT Instrument Cluster

calaudicalaudi Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Audi
I have a 2001 TT 225 Quatro w/ about 57K on it. Yes, I drove the darn thing into the ground the 1st year.
Only problem I ever had was broken gates between 1st and 3rd about 2 years ago. Replaced and ok now, no probs. EXCEPT

Now have my Tach starting registering at 4K, and it has reset my date to 1998! Spoke w/ dealer, says only cure is to replace entire instrument cluster. Is that right? Any other solution?

Thanks!

Comments

• leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    calaudi,
    That sounds correct. I have an 01 225 TT roadster and in the first year my fuel gauge went out. The dealer had to replace the entire instrument cluster. One of my inlaws has the same car and she had her cluster replaced for a faulty gauge. My old J30 was the same way. It seems to be all or nothing with the gauges.

drumm,
    no need to let off the gas, just shift with the appropriate paddle. I believe there's two paddles so one is for upshifts (right paddle I think) and the other for downshifts. The one in the TT has two clutches so your next gear is already engaged before you even shift.
  • Well basically i herd some complaints about oil leaking and mainly electrical problems....im planing on getting a 2002 TT.....so if anyone can reasure me i don't have to worry bout them then please reasure me.... I mean i went to a audi dealer to ask about the problems... he said the older ones like the 2000 and 2001 had those problems but should'ev been alot better after 2002...so if u have any ideas help me out...i love this car alot!!
    Honestly, I can't reassure you on a 2002 TT. I drive a 2002 TT 225 conv. and have had it since new and it's burned oil since the 10k mark. It got worse but seems to have leveled off recently. The electrical problems seem to be isolated to the gauges. My fuel gauge went out twice, speedometer once, now my tachometer is sticking (takes about 5 sec. for the needle to rise after cranking) and my fuel gauge is off by a quarter of a tank. They've already ripped out my fuel tank to replace the sensors inside the tank (2-day job). With the gauge problems above, they can't replace just a single gauge, they have to replace the entire instrument cluster. Replacing the tach (instrument cluster) would be an ordeal since they have to order the part (it's back-ordered) so I skipped it. Also, the engine is developing a sputter. Since mine's a 225, maybe the 180 TT's are more reliable. Don't mean to bring you down, just sharing my experiences. Hope this helps.

Leon
  • 01patt01patt Posts: 1
    Anyone else have a TT with electrical issues on the dash? My 2001 no longer displays the radio information in the center compartment of the dash. Additionally the outside temperature display is barely visible. Finally the radio's backlight doesn't always come on either. Are these common problems for the TT?

Thanks

01PATT
    Dash problems are pretty common in the 01 and 02 TT's. My problems have been isolated to the fuel gauge (failed 3 times so far) and tachometer. As with a lot of cars, the entire dash has to be replaced to fix one gauge. Last I heard the dash boards were on back order due to high demand so I skipped out on fixing my fuel gauge and tach.

mikeypd,
    According to my service tech, the 225 engine burns oil by design. He said the heads are "porous". It's just a "feature" of the engine that people have to live with. I don't see the engines going 100k without some sort of failure due to the leaking.
  • I have a 2001 tt coupe with 19k miles. It does not burn any oil. No dash board problems either. However, I have had 3 "check engine" lights in the last 6 weeks. The 1st was diagnosed as a "Mass Air Flow" sensor. The 2nd required the replacement of the "purge valve". I'm taking the car in for the 3rd this week. Has anyone else had similar check engine problems not related to gasoline fill-ups?
  • it is a common problem, especially with the fuel guage, see:-
    http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=audi_tt_dashboard_failing
  • paul24paul24 Posts: 1
    Audi TT 2000 Instrument Cluster ProblemI have an Audi TT 2000 and the instrument cluster has gone nutty. When I turn the car on it blinks and flashes. After the car is running the speedometer and tac do not work and the center indicator lights sometimes. In addition to this the car has some type of electrical issue, it won't start with out a jump. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Paul
  • namhnamh Posts: 1
    I have had similar problems. Check engine light comes on, I take the car in (no warranty left), pay $400 for a diagnostics that comes up with 1. Fuel door open (rubbish), 2. Mass airflow (dealer blames K&N filter and they tape it up, 3 Mass airflow (Remove K&N and replace with new stock filter), 4. ?? haven't taken the car back yet. I am paying $300-$400 for nothing every visit with the light coming back on immediately after driving out of the dealership or within 1 day of driving. Now they are blaming the Forge exhaust, since they cannot fox the problem with the car.
  • zuezue Posts: 1
    Have drooled over the Audi TT roadster for months, now, selling all that I own to buy one, BUT, after reading all the negative feedback on the car, it sounds like I would need to be a millionaire to keep one running. Am I only hearing from "lemon" owners, or are these dash, oil, tire, complaints common with all TT's / Audi products? Sounds like I should only consider a 2003, or newer? So undecided, now.
  • kyingkying Posts: 61
    I am very superstitious. I know after I openly say anything good about my TT, it's going to break down. But after reading your post, I am going to break my own rule:

My wife and I are not millionaires, but we have owned a 2001 Audi TT 180hp Coupe since new and now it has more than 56000 miles. The car has been perfect, and it still drives like when it was new. Actually it is better than it was new, because we didn't like the OME tires (Michelin Pilot Sports), which lasted, with no complains, 45000 miles. We put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 on it last summer, and now it's a dream to drive. I actually like driving it better than than our 2004 Porsche Targa, although my wife disagrees.
  • insyteinsyte Posts: 1
    Don't Do It! I have a 2001 TT with about 22,000 miles (I don't know for sure because the instrument cluster no longer works -- fewer hours of service than a standard light bulb!!!). Transaxle replaced at 2500 miles, incessant water leaks and rattles, performance problems (mass air flow censor crumped at about 17,000 miles). Costs of repairs out of warranty are astronomical, and most independent repair shops won't touch an Audi.

If you're brave enough to buy ANY Audi, dump it before the warranty expires! (Many of my friends are physicians, and one of the most common conversations in hospital physician lounges is to grouse about how unreliable their Audi's are!!)
  • epiphanyepiphany Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 180hp TTR Automatic purchased Aug 2003. 37K miles

Electrical: xenon headlight replaced (after bringing it in 5 times), battery replaced (2 failures), radio replaced (flashing backlight), instrument cluster (due to gas gauge failure).

Other: transmission issue (rabbit jump from 1st to 2nd gear, sqealing in reverse in AM), brakes grinding, fuel sensor problem - replaced, ignition coil burned out (just recently - in shop now)...

Trade in value offered to me recently 23K at Audi (20K at CarMax), my payoff balance is 29K. I am dumping this :lemon: car at the end of the 'Premier Purchase' term or at 50K (since I think they have to offer me the payoff balance as a trade-in value)... my next car will be Japanese.

I test drove a Nissan 350Z and that thing is SO much better... 287hp on the base model kicked this TTs [non-permissible content removed].
  • Did you ever get resolution to your issue? I bought a used 2001 TT (out of warrenty of course) that the instrument panel started flashing once a week on a cold morning. The date and trip meter would reset and the tack and speedo would flail randomly. I took it to the dealer and they wouldn't address the problem. I took it to another german car service place and it was not a repeatable incident so they could not address the problem either. Now it's progressed to flashing every morning and sometimes twice daily. It no longer is useful to reset the time because I'd have to do it every day. Did the BBB ever support you? What item should I have replaced?
  • Almost every TTs needs to get the instrument cluster replaced on the warranty or not, The instrument cluster have a defective chip inside, this part flick depending on the outside tempeture, minor electrical stress(noise), and sometimes without touching anything. The cluster has been develloped by a independant part manufacturer, Magnetti Marelli, Italy. This is all new for Audi, the first car to be on benchtest is the Audi TT! For some reason, A electronic Chip witch i have personnaly investigate is the main bug for the entire Cluster syntoms, 1- no dash light 2- no gauges at all and/or fluctuating. 3- millage display flash rapidly specially in the morning cold. This part remember me a ferrari, terrific look and performance , but there allways something not quite right and need costly repair.
    The older audi's , like audi 90, coupe, A4 relies on VDO clusters witch the quality as absolutely no comparasion to make.( This is a true audi with a VDO cluster meaning overall quality). Audi should make a recall and an upgrade cluster like the way the ignitor coil have been recall( because so many of theses coils was defective almost all!) . Personally, I have a 2001 audi coupe, I have changed the cluster 2 times...Ive got only 54000 miles on it, i don't whant to keep the car anymore because the cluster is not very reliable, even brand new, a way too much expensive to replace for this kind of quality and U never know when Its gonna break again for any reasons.
  • My 2002 TT Roadster went through 5 batteries in less than 2 years. Dealers in both Chicago, Illinois and Sarasota, Florida, as well as Audi USA told me it was because I did not drive the car enough (12,0000 miles in 3.5 years). Contacted Audi-Germany. Problem apparently finally solved -- bad dash board control unit. Replaced under warranty. This should have been detected earlier, and I should not have been put through all this aggravation. Audi obviously knows about the problem, but will not direct dealers to fix it (a $1,350 repair). Other problems on this vehicle have been a defective horn, loose side view mirror assembly, and loose passenger side door -- all fixed under warranty. Otherwise, car is fabulous.
  • Did you have to change your instrument cluster? Do you know where I can get on for a 2001 Audi TT?
  • I have a faulty fuel gauge problem I have already replaced the sender unit, now they say I need an instrument cluster. Do you know where I can get a reduced priced one??

Audi TT Quatro 6 speed
  • ttgrrlttgrrl Posts: 1
    your instrument cluster is defective, this is a common problem in a 2001. everything will reset and eventually the instrument panel won't light up at all and the car won't start.
  • nfurynfury Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I just thought I would share this info with you all. Audi UK have finally acknowledged that some of their instrument clusters/dashpods are faulty. They are now replacing those clusters for vehicle within the last 5 years. They are also offering refunds to clusters that have been repaired in the past.

Here is a copy of thier statement:

The Audi UK statement.

AUDI TT INSTRUMENT PANEL ISSUE

STATEMENT FOR BBCTV WATCHDOG TO AIR 24 JANUARY

"We recognise that a number of fuel and temperature gauges have not been working correctly on Audi TTs, mainly cars which have been built up to mid 2004. We have been replacing the majority of these free of charge under our three year warranty in the UK.

To ensure customer satisfaction Audi UK is now also moving to replace units, on a case by case basis, free of charge for cars of up to 4 and 5 years old.

Since mid of 2004 an improved instrument panel had also been introduced.

Affected customers should either contact their local Audi Centre or call our customer hotline on 0800 699888 and ask for our 'TT Helpdesk'.

Owners who have already paid for a replacement panel will be treated sympathetically on a case by case basis.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers and assure them that we are working hard to resolve this issue."

I guess now that it has been acknowledged by Audi that it is a problem it strengthens owners claims to have the problem recitified for free.

If you are after more info goto the following forum site.

link title

Good luck to anyone that needs to get their cluster repaired.