Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• Today, my 2001 Audi TT Quatro would not shift into 1st or 2nd gear. I was able to get reverse and back into a safe plane since I was near home.

So the deal, they will save me $4000 by not putting a new transmission in. The rebuilt transmission and a new clutch (expected at 80,000 miles) will cost $5660. My 80,000 mile service last year cost $2200. I can no longer afford this fun car and will sell it before the next shoe falls. Should have done sooner when warrantee ended.
  • having the exact same problem with our TT. Has the rebuilt transmission worked? Was that the problem? They have told me that they need to take it out to determine what is wrong, there is a chance that it is something that might be fixed without putting in a new transmission.
  • i had this problem with my 2002 quattro. it turned out to be the master cylinder, a seal failed. they have to take the transmission out to get to the master cylinder.

i opted to replace the transmission; i already had to pay the labor cost to get to the master cylinder anyway, so now i have a new transmission.
  • sly11sly11 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 TT-s 6cy Tiptronic that does the same. It hesitates and I don't thrust the car if I have to make a quick acceleration. The garage tells me nothing is wrong with the car.....
    Sometime, in a quick acceleration the car does not move.... I can press the gas pedal, the rpm will go up to 4000rpm and the car will accelerate to 40 miles/hours. Lately the car didn't even move.... :sick:

Did you get any info on the problem what's causing it and can it be fix? Thanks
  • I know some post are old, but I am glad to have found this forum. I wasss considering purchasing a used Audi, but after reading these post, now I am changing my mind. I see the Audi has transmission problems, well this Audi I was to purchase needs a new transmission and does run in 4th gear. Apparently there were several things replaced in the car already, major things, water hose, timing belt ect...this is an attractive car, but I see that it has serious issues and costly. If I were to purchase this used car, what is the ball park on replacing the transmission, price wise? I am curious what this will run me and should I NOT take it to a Audi dealer and to someone else who can do this cheaper?
  • My Audi TT (63k only) has gotten all the routine oil change and services (30k and 60k). A month ago it started to jerk when shifting to reverse, and between 1st and 2nd gear. After my mechanic cleaned the throttle, and changed transmission oil, it got better. Now only "bucks" slightly after I've been on the road for about 15 minutes. My mechanic suggested going to dealer in case its a computer problem. Audi dealership did a diagnostic all day today-- their computers can't pinpoint the problem... so they're suggesting a new transmission... around $6k or $7k he said. Really? WTF? The car only has 63K miles on it. It's been getting serviced... Something's not right... are there other people with this problem? Shouldn't there be a 100k warranty from factory on the transmission? What recourse do I have?
  • manav1manav1 Posts: 1
    hey, i no its been a long time science u posted this..but i am having the same problem with my 2001 tt i bought last month..what did u figure
    out with urs..plz let me know..thanks
  • fetheadfethead Posts: 1
    my car would not shift into First gear. when I look little closer I found that the shifting cable connected to first and second Lever had slid out a couple of clicks.there is a sleeve over the shifting cable directly where it is connected. use both hands and by pushing back the sleeve you can adjust the length of the cables end. if you go too far you won't be able to shift into second so somewhere in the middle.
    2001 TT Quattro convertible
  • withmoxywithmoxy Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Audi TT and this morning the Transmisson went out...After reading some of these posts, I am wondering if it needs to be replaced or just the lever slipping......My Audi makes a grinding noise when I put it into gear....Yes, I am a chick, i go by noises......HELP!
  • The Tiptronic on my 2003 Audi also went out under 60,000 miles. I should have followed the warning on a listserve six years ago about those transmissions. And Audis in general.
    A $5500 mistake, for private rebuilt. Factory rebuilt about $1000 more.

These cars are poorly built garbage, and especially the transmissions and some of the electronics. It took about six tries to fix the window switch.

Yes, Audi should take care of the bad transmissions, but that's about as likely as the Great Pumpkin visiting Linus later this month.
  • I have the same problem - 2003 TT at 67K miles. I don't know what to do.
  • I've got an 05 1.8T audi TT with approximately 75 k miles on it. It shifts hard between gears. It will jump 1000 rpms up and back down and then shift. I've seen it between 1st / 2nd and 2nd / 3rd. I've also seen it when shifting from park to reverse. It happens more often in the evening after the engine gets warm and also if you break a little hard to a full stop.

I took it to my mechanic and nothing shows up on his diagnostic test. He thought it could be the engine mounts or the shift solenoids. He took a look at the engine mounts and that wasn't an issue. The shift solenoids would take too much time to get into for a maybe.

He suggested to keep driving until I see an engine check light come on so that there is more definite information. I prowled the net and found someone having an issue with the shift solenoid as well, but his problem may not be exactly mine.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
  • Overall problem, as you've probably guessed, is that the Tiptronics transmission is 100% garbage. The Chinese put better transmissions in their cars.

Better have $6000 or so ready for when your dog of a transmission goes out. It might just be the solenoids, but is more likely ready to crash totally.

Have your tow policy ready. My Audi was being used by my nephew for homecoming when the transmission decided to give up the ghost.
  • jrmyjrmy Posts: 2
    I started my 2004 Audi TT the other day, shifted into gear and it went nowhere, shifted into reverse went nowhere, shifted into neutral went nowhere. Its the six with the dual clutch auto.

any ideas?
  • See comment 37. Get your checkbook out for the piece of trash transmission. I hope you got some good mileage on your car prior to a $5500+ rebuild.

Theoretically you should be able to drive in some of the gears.
  • joeamjoeam Posts: 1
    Recently purchase a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 with 57,000 miles
    Fell in love instantly, car amazing, smooth butter like shifts with the DSG
    trans...took it to a local independent shop (no local Audi dealer) to have the
    dsg fluid and filter changed as paperwork didnt verify that the service previously done.

Two days after back, went to leave work, key turns everything on, but no crank of engine, and "service" indicated on dash, came back next am and key in everything fine, starts runs great, shifts great, two miles down road, trans goes into what seems like false neutral, pull over no reverse or other gears engage, turned of ignition and again no
    crank and service light, scanner shows 1 logged code, U0101 lost comm with
    TCM......get it towed to independent shop...next day start runs and drives fine, then out
    of blue does it again at shop, no crank and u0101

Also should mention on two occassions key in ignition tumbler rotated freely with no action, rotated around abit then key and switch worked properly...

so dead in water at independent shop, not knowing if ignition switch can play into the u0101 or if im looking at a Mechatronic Unit or ?

Any help appreciated
  • if anyone is still readin any of this, the 5sp and 6sp transmissions in the tt are the 02m code. Theseare actually pretty stout and are said to handle 500-550hp! unfortunately, they do suffer a flaw, the most common would be the shift fork for 1st and 2nd gear. Not a huge issue as it can be fixed, welded, bolstered to make it handle higher tolerances, however it explains why a lot of you with manual transmissions are having issues not being able to shift into gears, or having trouble getting into a gear. Im not saying it couldnt be another problem, but from my extensive reading this seems to be the most common, though compared to other vw transmissions, the 6sp 02m is one of the more sought after due to how stout it is. As far as the audi transmissions go, the 01e transmission found coupled with the 2.7t engine as well as the 6sp 1.8t models of the B6 A4 generation is said to be near bulletproof but i'm babbling now as that transmission won't even fit in your car. check out the shift fork and search it online to see the problem and how to get it fixed right without breaking the bank. as far as the tiptronic folks, vw/audi should've named it "failtronic" as it's more appropriate, cheers
    -Reed
  • I just bought a 2001 Audi TT 4 with the 1.8 and 5 speed and have noticed that it's very easy to get into third gear vs first at a stop. I don't experience any grinding though. Could this be the shift fork you are talking about?

I bought the car yesterday and have put over 300 miles on it and can't wait to get back in for more!
  • dub13dub13 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    It is a bad mechatronic unit. If you take it to the dealer they'll want to replace the entire transmission and mech unit. I'd advise against that. All you probably need is a new/rebuilt mechatronic box. Cost is about $2500 for a new one, or you have your existing one rebuilt - when I had mine done I found a place in Europe that would rebuild ( http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/audi_eculist.html?category=4054&model=447 ) but I never used them. Once you read about the unit it makes sense that it could be easily rebuilt.
  • Hi joeam,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem.. my TT 3.2 auto has just started doing exactly the same..
    occasionally (not all the time, but just at the wrong time) it will drop out of gear, the dashboard gear indicator will start to flash and you can get any forward gear.

If you turn the engine off and on a few dozen times (with associated failed gear selection), eventually you'll get some synchronization and you're able to go.
    Can't figure out whether its a software or synchronization belt/ gear teeth issue ?

Blocked the road today when it happened at just the wrong time on a busy narrow stretch
2»