Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Bluetooth

neil5neil5 Posts: 118
Lots of requests for possiblity of handsfree Bluetooth system for 2006 Avalon. I took this off my manual:

Called blueconnect by autointelligence 1-800-406-7132
www.autointelligence.com

1300 W 23 ST
Muncie, In, 47302

Sales 1888-454-4440
Installation 1-800-406-7132

www.jciblueconnect.com

Go forth and prosper!

Comments

• cctenncctenn Posts: 1
    I am picking up my new 2006 Avalon and it has the factory installed Bluetooth.
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    See if it is same company as mine. Mine was from dealership as well.
  • mike2thmike2th Posts: 1
    Were you able to use the factory installed bluetooth? I have been led to believe that my RazrV3 is compatable with the bluetooth in the 2006 avalon but i have been unsuccessful figuring out how to have it connect.

any advice?
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    I am seriously considering this vehicle to replace my 02 BMW 530 but am concerned about two features.

After reading above, etc.........and comparing the NAV System to my wifes new Odyssey, I can't believe how much better Honda's is...................maybe I'll buy the Garmin for $800.00 but was hoing to keep the dashboard cleaner on a new 34K vehicle. The Acura TL is just not the direction I want to go.

Additionally - I just received the below directly from Toyota on Bluetooth.......which is something I really want in a new car.

Response (Rose) 06/08/2006 12:44 PM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize; we do not offer Bluetooth technology as an available option on the 2006 Avalon. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200606081104. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

Then they sent me this:........

Response (Rose) 06/08/2006 12:58 PM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate you contacting us with your inquiry.

SET (Southeast Toyota) is a private distributor and may have options and/or accessories that are exclusive to their region. SET includes: Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida.

SET accessory information may be obtained by calling 800-301-6859 between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM, Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

We recommend contacting the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership for clarification about the options and accessories available in your area.

Toyota Customer Experience

So, I am waiting for a call-back from SET, and wondering how I get Bluetooth in the Chicago, IL area?

Thanks
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    I would buy the unit from SE distrib. and have it installed in your area. Contact me directly for pic of system. Also, not much of downgrade from BMW...just different

Here is the UNIT http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2323834
  • aparghapargh Posts: 1
    I think I can help. I purchased a 2006 Avalon Limited this week and it is fully loaded. I did get the Bluetooth installed and it is one of the best units I have ever used. Please note that it is not a factory nor a dealer option. Toyota does things differently from most manufacturers and uses a middleman company in my region called SET (Southeast Toyota). Many options that are listed as "factory" are installed when they get off the boat in Jacksonville. The unit they installed for me replaces the Sunglass Holder on the ceiling in front of the sunroom and the interior lighting. The unit is called the BlueConnect and is from AutoIntelligence. www.autointelligence.com. The number from the included brochure is 800-406-7132. Allow me to note that it is a simple pop in module that includes both a concealed microphone and speaker as well as an answer button and volume controls. The sound quality is excellent...as excellent of a bluetooth unit that I've used. It took about 30 seconds to set it up and unlike others, allows you to select your own PIN. It is all done by voice recognition. I used it to connect a Palm Treo 700P and the pairing was seamless. It also allows you to connect additional phones and grants you the opportunity to give each phone a priority. I hope this helps.
  • niteoneniteone Posts: 41
    so, did you put this bluetooth unit in yourself? Or did you have the dealer do it?
  • jwcooperjwcooper Posts: 2
    If you would like to order the part that TMS gave you a reference on you may go to WWW.Autointelligence.com and purchase BlueConnect. This is the highest quality unit in the market today. Do not be fooled by others, I have one of the BlueConnect units in my vehicle and it is great. I hear the unit is built by a automotive supplier so with that kind of quality their is no question.
  • The autointelligence site didn't have price that I could look up. It's a convenience feature not a necessity so price is important to me...
  • Does your bluetooth kit integrate with your dvd nav sys?
  • jrjhmjrjhm Posts: 26
    When I go to that web site, I don't see any way of ordering a unit. I've clicked on all the choices but can not find a link to order a specific product.
  • You can look under the distributor section of www.AutoIntelligence.com for assistance or you can call 1-888-454-4440 for sales assistance.
  • rxdocrxdoc Posts: 4
    I have a new 2007 Avalon Limited and just had the Blue Connect system installed, $375 plus tax from Dealer Direct here in Phoenix. You can get the various Blue Connect dealer locations from the AutoIntelligence website. They will tell you the price of the unit if you want to install it yourself, and if you are not planning on installing it yourself, ask them for a installation location recommendation in your area. At the local level is where you are apt to find a difference in pricing. The price for the unit could be $350 if you just want the generic color and not one that is matched to the interior. I got a grey one to match my interior. Pairing your phone to the Blue Connect system is really easy and the system itself is fantastic. The one piece of advice I have if you are installing it yourself is to be very careful when cutting the opening for it using the template. It is designed for a tight fit with no room for error, so if you cut the opening too big, you will be in trouble. That is why I let someone who installs these everyday do mine. Good luck.
  • jrjhmjrjhm Posts: 26
    Thanks for that helpful information.
  • I see that Bluetooth is a factory option now for the 2007. Would someone who has this option on a 2007 please tell me how well it works, how complex it is for a non techie person

Thanks

Pat
  • I am told that there is no way to get a radio with AUX inputs on the new 2007 Avalon. Has anyone installed an aftermarket AUX input and if yes which one?

Pat
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I have an '06 XLS w/ JBL 6CD (w/o NAV) and have a Peripheral Electronics Ipod interface that plugs into the back of the radio. It works great. I know there are several versions of adaptors, I believe there is one with just RCA inputs so you can jack in whatever you want (DVD, Playstation, etc) As far as I know there is no difference between '06 and '07.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• Thanks, thats good news. Did you install it yourself?
    Would you mind telling me the cost?

Pat
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The interface was $149 at Best Buy (may be less now). I was going to install myself, but when they told me only $60 to install I let them do it. The cable is run to the inside of the center console, so I can plug my I-pod in and stash it away. It charges it and allows me to change tracks from the radio, or control it direct.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• is your phone one of the phones listed on the auto intelligence website? If not, did you have any problems paring the phone. Based on your post, you didn't. Did the dealer say anything about this? Thanks.
  • I finally installed the blueconnect and it works great! It is a simple process. I bypassed their instructions regarding how to wire and wired it as if I was wiring an alarm, same proces. Cutting the hole in the overhead compartment was relatively easy (only warning, stay within the line and file away as necessary.) The wiring was the most difficult part, having to pull the a pillar down and run the wire to the the fuse box and t-tap into the power, auxillary and ground wires. I think anyone with limited skills can do this. Don't pay Al and Ed's price of $250 for instillation. They are rip off artists. Also, buy the system online as it is much cheaper than their prices. I paid $170 on ebay and I have seen prices range from $219 to $289 online and up to $375 from dealers and audio shops. Anyone interested, I think you should check it out.
  • Hi Crew! I just installed a Parrot Bluetooth kit in my 06 Avalon XLS with JBL sound. Works great. Syncs with my phone, has voice control, cute pictures of who is calling (assuming you have them on the phone). Incoming / outgoing calls mute the JBL sound system. I connected the output to the center dash speaker. The installation took me about 3 hours. I went slow and paid attention to details. Any questions? Feel free to email. Larry_steiner@comcast.net. I will do my best to help you. Regards, Larry
  • oskerosker Posts: 3
    How is the overhead compartment held up? Do you just pry the front down? Thinking of putting blueconnect on my 2007 Avalon. Thanks
  • mlincoln05mlincoln05 Posts: 13
    It is held in by two clips that have metal brackets on them. When taking it out, be careful because the metal clips can get caught in the metal roof area. If so (mine did) go to the toyota dealer. They are about $2.00.
  • woodya29woodya29 Posts: 1
    Scosche Industries announced on 5/4/2007 a AXIPTA Toyota auxilliary input box that supports Bluetooth iPod. They claim it is designed specifically for the Avalon and retains all existing jbl radio function. They claim it also can support Bluetooth cell phones with an additional feature product named "UBRH". Hook up is via aux input on the radio and works by muting the radio and passing voice thru existing factory speakers. I've had difficulty getting install info and wonder if anyone has already researched this product. Scosche claims that the wiring interface is designed specifically for the 2005-7 Avalon with jbl and GPS.
  • My wife and I just recently purchase a 2009 Toyota Avalon and we are having a problem with the bluetooth. First I paired the cell phone and entered 3 names with a telephone number for each name. I am having a problem with the voice recognition system correctly entering numbers that I'm calling out. The first day that I tried using it, it missed a lot of numbers and I would say that it hardly worked. It got to be very frustrating, since I was trying to make a call and for one number set containing 7 digits. In fact it got so bad that I finally entered one, two or three numbers at a time and still had to command it to "go back" in order to correct the number. The next day it worked nearly flawlessly. Each day it acted slightly different. I finally took it in to the local dealer and had their bluetooth expert to review the problems with me and he saw what the problem was. The most severe problem is the system has a hard time distinguishing the fives from the nines. It interchanges these two number pretty regularly. Their were some other minor recognition problems too. Anyway, he said that this was a voice recognition problem and didn't offer any solution.

Is there a solution to this problem? I find it hard to believe with Toyota's record on quality, that Toyota has installed a bluetooth system that is defective.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to fix this problem.

Warren
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I experienced the same problem as you with the Bluetooth having a problem between 5 and 9. My solution was to change the direction and position of where I was speaking from. Rather than speaking directly into the mic (which I believe is overhead near the light) I spoke forward into the steering wheel. I haven't had to do other numbers, but at least it worked this one time.
  • Since I posted the earlier message, I've done some extensive checking and have now done everything that I know to do. The only problem that I'm having is the voice recognition system doesn't recognize the "nine". It usually will "hear" a five instead. There was also a problem with it recognizing a name that I had entered. I remembered that the door was open when I was entering all of the data, etc., so I thought that some noise from outside of the car had distorted my pronunciation of that partictular name entry. So, I deleted the entry and re-entered with all of the doors closed. That fixed that problem. I went back and deleted 2 telephone numbers that I had previously entered that contained a "nine", then re-entered those 2 telephone numbers, hoping that it would correct the problem with recognizing the "nine". Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I've actually tried directing my voice in several different directions in hopes that I could find a direction to voice my number, but I had no luck. I tried your suggestion of directing my voice toward the steering wheel, but this didn't fix the problem either. I even tried using different accents and pronouncing "nine" in many different ways, but no luck again. I have tried everything I know with no fix. So, I am in the process of setting up an appointment with the Southeast Toyota bluetooth expert so that he can examine my bluetooth to see what can be done. This is the only problem that I now have with the bluetooth.

Warren
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I hope he can help you. Since this is a common problem for Toyota Bluetooth and not just for your setup it may not be fixable unless they have a software upgrade available. It seems you've tried everything.

I believe there is also a system whereby you can put the number in by dialing with the phone. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.
  • You can use the bluetooth in another way. I've opened my cell phone, opened the phone book, then selected the number of the person that I wanted to call and then hit "call". When the person that I called answers, it comes through the bluetooth system. In the mean time, I leave the cell phone in the opened position sitting in my lap. That way it's hands off after you've dialed on your cell phone. After the call has ended, I hang up the phone with the steering wheel button. Then I close the phone in my lap.
    Another concern that I have is that the navigation system may not recognize some of the commands that are in that system. I haven't gotten that far. Before I meet with the Southeast Toyota bluetooth expert, I want to check out all (or most) of the commands in the navigation system. I have found that it takes a lot of time to learn these two systems and to test them too. The bluetooth system with the cell phone is pretty straight forward, actually. I scanned through the navigation instruction booklet today, and it appears that I will have to spend much more time with this system testing the commands.

If you should learn anything, I would appreciate your sharing it with me. I'll post again when I get through the navigation system and again after meeting with the bluetooth expert.

Warren