Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

Our Pacifica has 8500 mi. Since service at 6K, we have had a noise (pop and/or clunk) in the front end somewhere. We have had it in 2 times, and techs have heard but cannot isolate. They think rust from the stabilizers getting into some gasket is the culprit. Sound occurs just after hitting brake or slowing. Any TSB's anyone knows of?

Comments

• Just wanted to post this because some might still have this problem. I had them replace the anti-sway bar bushings and whatever else they did per the TSB for the front end noise but that did not fix the problem. When I brought it back to them, the mechanic took the time to listen to where the noise was coming from and found out it was the transfer case. The new transfer case solved the clank noise completely.
    Now about that stalling problem. Ecicero1 stated that it was a problem with the "turbo drive"? I know that my Pacifica did not come with a turbo so what is the turbo drive.
      I do really wish it had a flux capacitor with a dilithium crystal matrix for power since the fuel mileage still sucks. It should have had a bigger engine but not for lack of power. The bigger engine would work less around town and not need to stay at such high revs. A small V8 would have done it or a supercharger.
       Attention to detail is still a problem with these guys at Chrysler. The dealer body shop had to buff off the "wet sanding" agent after I returned it too them, again. I still need to give it back to them because they did not get the passenger rear door skin mounted properly and there in now a 1/4" gap between the skin and the glass. Crazy how little they care about their quality of work.
        I will not fault my mechanic though since he has been very interested in the Pacifica and getting it fixed right.
        I really need to know about that stalling problem though since this is my wife's car and she has the kids with her almost all the time. Safety was the reason we bought this car. Stalling in traffic is not a safe thing. It has only happened to me once but that is enough.
  • you said "When I brought it back to them, the mechanic took the time to listen to where the noise was coming from and found out it was the transfer case. The new transfer case solved the clank noise completely."

did you have a clanking noise from the front end when driving? or are you talking the clank from the transmission when going from drive to reverse or vice versa?
  • It wasn't when shifting but when driving. My driveway is on a slight grade (~15%) and when we would back out it sounded like there was something being torqued and it would clunk and clank. Not sure if that makes any sense but it didn't happen when the car was warm but if you left it for a while and then turned the wheel while backing up it would start to clank. Only in motion and only at the beginning of a trip. We took it in and they said it fit the description of the TSB so they replaced the bushings as it states to do. It only made it worse. I took it back and they kept it for a day and that is when the mechanic diagnosed the tranfer case.
    We keep getting a 4 door Sebring for a loaner so other than the inconvenience of having to bring it too them and move 2 car seats each time, it's not that bad. I just want it to go 1 month without problems.

Are you having the same noise?
  • alltorkalltork Posts: 13
    this problem will not go away -- 10mph(small bumps) right front
    double-clunk like a loose shock or sway bar-dealer has replaced rack and pinion, removed sway bar links-checked with electronic noise pickups, etc. etc.- still can not solve problem after 4 tips @ 10 days total in service
    after 5 repair attempts - no luck - dealer thinks it is still rack and pinion noise- even after rack and pinion replacement, still noisy, bad parts? checked mounting screws etc. - dc engineering will look at this 1-19-04. Right tie rod makes metalic noise when hit with a rubber hammer, left does not - Dealer has told me compensation was already due (lemon law etc.)I will try 1-2 more fixes - I would trade for another vehicle but nothing comes close to this pacifica (others make similar noise, not as bad)
  • All Tork any updates on the tie rod ? I am guessing you have the same problem as I do. not sure if mine is only right side front or both...

my pac is the AWD version but still has the rattling noise. (to describe the sound = it sounds to me like someone put a heavy solid metal ball in a padded wooden box and shakes it) a muffled sound like that ... I hear it only when going over small to med bumps (a lot in succession) ...
    The wooden box description is correct- 10mph right front noise like a loose shock- dull metalic noise-(just returned from dealer-6th repair attempt-rack and pinion not the problem)I am recieving loaner cars while this goes on- I work for Chrysler's engine plant so I want to get to the bottom of this- they will probably start replacing more parts - will keep informed - dealer is (Braeger) out of Milwaukee-They are very good considering the difficulty of the problem.
    After endless attempts the dealer has pin pointed this noise to a (passenger side front end) lower control arm bushing (front bushing) I hope anyone reading will benefit from this--this will be posted on chryslers dealer service bulletin system ----hopefully this will be the last of it.
  • Any Updates?? did it fix the problem ?

-------------------------------------------

good chatting with you and thanks so much for your perseverance in tracking the source of the problem down... saved having me drive a loaner vehicle for 10 days :-) while they tried all the stuff you got done.
    The lower control arm bushing was indeed the culprit - no more noise!!!!!!!
  • 2boyz2boyz Posts: 1
    I too am experiencing a noise from the front of the vehicle. Noise is predominant when traveling at a speed of less than 30 miles per hour or when turning. The service department also hears the noise but after 8 attempts to fix....the problem still remains. The following have been replaced...left and right sway bar links (have been replaced twice), Right front Strut, Rubber gasket from Technical Service Bulletin in September, Engine Cradle, and rack-n-pinion steering system.....
  • slam2251slam2251 Posts: 2
    I purchased a "used" 04 Pac with AWD about a month ago and has been in the shop 5 times already. My biggest problem is a clunk in the front when you hit the brakes. This happens every time we stop at a light or stop sign, the dealer replaced the front brake pads but that didn't correct the problem. They now have no idea what the issue is. Any ideas? I researched this forum and only heard of similar problems when turning. Also the power lit gate switch went, the drivers seat is being replaced, has about 12K miles on it. Thanks for any help.
  • aviateaviate Posts: 31
    Check out Message #487 for what had to be done to fix our issue.
    aviate

I too am experiencing a noise from the front of the vehicle. Noise is predominant when traveling at a speed of less than 30 miles per hour or when turning. The service department also hears the noise but after 8 attempts to fix....the problem still remains. The following have been replaced...left and right sway bar links (have been replaced twice), Right front Strut, Rubber gasket from Technical Service Bulletin in September, Engine Cradle, and rack-n-pinion steering system.....
  • larrwhlarrwh Posts: 4
    Dear alltork and cluelesspa,can you supply me with any specifics on what the dealer found wrong with the front bushing of the lower control arm? I want to get mine remedied with a minimum of fuss. Same audible complaint, passenger side almost sounds like front and back of my awd is suspect.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    well for me the replacement of the front lower control arm (not just the bushing was replaced). I had my dealer call Alltorks dealer to check what they did.

It did not fix my problem. still have a lose rattle in the front like the shock is lose going at medium speeds over bumps.

but after trying this fix and the TSB before that changed the antisway bushings. I give up trying to fix it and live with the rattle. Its annoying but after 3 years going trade in anyways. I try and get a new car every three years anyway. sorry to say but it wont be another Chrysler. Back to Japanese (Honda/Toyota) for me...

-------------------------

oh again: does anyone have the exact part number from your invoice that shows what module I need to have daytime running lights?

also how much if you had to pay for the module
  • larrwhlarrwh Posts: 4
    Thank you cluelesspa I just might try sway bushing and control arm swap. Lousy PA roads in wind gap cause me grief, that rattle just shouldn't be there.
  • Just thought I would restate our problem and solution to the noise in our Pacifica. We would hear the clunk up front when moving slowly and usually while turning. They tried the old bushing fix but that did not work. What did finally work was replacing the transfer case. Try having your dealer swap out the transfer case and see what happens. Especially you cluelesspa! You should not have to live with this noise and just suffering though with it, even though it's a royal pain to get fixed, sounds crazy. We were also real disappointed as you could probably tell in my old posts but my wife is now happy which means that I am happy. Not sure what we will do for the next vehicle but I suspect something with better gas mileage.
    Phil
  • mybird67mybird67 Posts: 2
    Took delivery of the FWD version on 12/30/03. Car has 6200 miles on it, every one of them with the suspension 'clunk' that's been described here. Here's what the service tech wrote this time at my dealership: "customer states there is a clunking in the front end when driving over bumps...road tested and hear noise. Hooked up chassis ears and could not isolate. Checked with Chrysler for updates, none. Road tested 2 other Pacificas, one with 5 miles and one with 4500 miles. Both making the same sound. At this time we feel that the noise is inherent in the design of the vehicle. There is nothing mechanically that can be done at this time to get rid of the noise. We will continue to receive updates thru Chrysler and if one arises that will address this noise we will alert the customer to get the vehicle in for resolution.

So, now what? I assume when you mentioned the transfer case, Commofficer, you meant the AWD transfer case. My car is FWD, so I don't have one! Help!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    When I first test drove a Pacifica a year ago I noticed the suspension "clunk". It evidently is normal, and was one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I really liked the the ride and handling, though.
  • laurheislaurheis Posts: 57
    We are hearing a clunk when braking - just like a previous post. Feels like it is right underneath the brake pedal. Was anything resolved with your car? We have had our Pacifica for just over a month, and it has been in the dealer's service department for 11 days of that time. We love the way the car rides, but hate the amount of time we have spent having our brand new car "repaired."
  • slam2251slam2251 Posts: 2
    laurheis
    Sounds like the same thing we had- they replaced the break pads but that did ntohing- they have no idea what to do and are waiting to hear from CHry. Round 6 at the dealership in 2 months begins tomm. I am driving rentals more than I am driving my pac.
  • I've been trying to go back through posts to find anything new on the well known front-end steering/suspension/braking "clunking" noise. It has been an ongoing problem with my AWD 2004 model. Dealer has messed around with it twice now and can't figure it out. On first visit they tightened the lug nuts -- on second visit they ordered new lug nuts. Sure don't think that's the solution. Does anyone out there have any updates?

My 2 year old calls it mommy's clunky car. Otherwise love the car.
  • angel take it back and tell them to check the transfer case if it is 4 wheel drive
    my went bad @ 10000miles =/-
    it clunked only when starting after long parking o/nite !
  • Angel3-

I too have a 'clunky' front end, actually mine was more like a thumping noise. The dealer has replaced the sway bar links (there is a tsb for this) and the transfer unit (tsb for this as well), That solved the thumping noise but not the popping noise that I also have. The dealer says the popping is caused by the lower control arm. That part is currently on order for us. We shall see!
  • Krisgil and Chrisler,

Thanks for your advice on the clunking noise. I took the car in today and they replaced the sway bar links; so far, so good -- no clunks on the way home at least. Service guy thinks it's probably 50/50 that the sway bars are the main culprit -- he was kind of stumped by the noise. So we will see!
  • mizmanmizman Posts: 1
    My 2004 Pacifica has been into the dealership 3 times for a clunking noise on slow turns. It turns out there is a TSB 0300103 for front bushings to "correct" this problem. Second time in for it. I love the car but don't always feel safe driving it when I hear the noise.
  • al001al001 Posts: 2
    We too had a front end clunking noise on our AWD 2004. Dealer finally fixed it with a new left lower control arm, part no. 4743477AI
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Cluelesspa, what ... what ... what did you say ? Was it a new "TSB on the front suspension that was put out on this issue about 2 months ago" ??? Can you please copy it and paste it here ? Or at least give me the TSB number ?

Also are you sure they "tightened bolts on Lower Control Arm" ?! They were supposed to be tighten at the factory ... I never heard such a thing !

I always thought that it sounded like a loose SHOCK bushing (both front and rear wheels). You are the 1st one to mention the word "shocks".

#############

The TSB 02-007-04 (Lower Control Arm bushings) applies to Pacs built before September 28, 2004, so it doesn't apply to my Pac (built Jan 13, 2005). Also TSB 02-001-05 (Front Sway Bar Links) applies to Pacs built before August 15, 2003, so doesn't apply to my Pac.

I sent a letter to the Cyrville Chrysler dealership in Ottawa, Canada, asking them to bug Chrysler to find out why an American luxury car suspension reminds me the cars built 20 yrs ago in the Communist Eastern Europe, where I was born. Damn ... I forgot to add this analogy ...

I also asked them to find the problem before touching my car (I am really jealous about somebody touching my car). I test drove one of their brand new Pacificas on the lot, and it had exactly the same muffled rattle noise. They better experiment first with their own car, then touch mine.

Sometimes I think we will have to live with this rattle as being a Pacifica "feature". If you drive it everyday, all the time, you could stop noticing it. My problem is that I switch cars. So during the week I drive my rattle free 2001 Honda Accord, and during the weekend I drive my wife's 2005 Pacifica, so I suddenly notice the change (rattle). I agree it's muffled.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    Looks like the TSB they did for my car doesn't apply to your newer built vehicle. but the problem was sounding like someone put a metal ball in a wooden box and placed near the front wheels. when you hit a bump it would rattle like a ball in a padded wooden box would sound. (like a loose shock). and yes they Retightened the Lower Control Arm which was replaced in the previous TSB.

Here is the link to look up all the TSBs: link title

Service Bulletin Num : 0200403 is the one I just had done. Feb 2005 was the posting date on the TSB.

Good luck ... hope they will do the TSB for you even if it doesn't apply. if that is the sound you are hearing

---------------------
    Cluelesspa, what ... what ... what did you say ? Was it a new "TSB on the front suspension that was put out on this issue about 2 months ago" ??? Can you please copy it and paste it here ? Or at least give me the TSB number ?

Also are you sure they "tightened bolts on Lower Control Arm" ?! They were supposed to be tighten at the factory ... I never heard such a thing !

I always thought that it sounded like a loose SHOCK bushing (both front and rear wheels). You are the 1st one to mention the word "shocks".
  • bordercopbordercop Posts: 11
    Have a 2004 AWD Pacifica that I just got with 16K on it used and noticed a clicking sound from the front end wheel section. Usually happens after vehicle is parked and then when restarting and either backing out of a space or going forward while turning the wheel until going straight again for a few seconds. Clicking is rather loud almost as if you had a stone in a tire rapping against the pavement. I read somewhere that a Power Transfer Unit took care of a problem for someone. Anyone else have ideas??