Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

Comments

• Could you send me the link to the letter too. scott.regnier@juno.com
  • While I am not optimistic about getting results, I want to encourage others to contact their State Dept of Consumer Protection. I did so, and within a week they sent a letter to Chrysler. If Chrysler hears from enough watchdog agencies it might help. I have been cc'd by the NY Dept of State on a letter that they sent to Chrysler, in which they request that Chrysler review and comment on my complaint, as well as include any cc's of correspondence with me. Again, I expect that Chrysler's Legal Dept will bat this one down easily by pointing to the build date limitation on the extended rust warranty. But it can't hurt to keep at them. Please don't give up , people.
  • Each state has various consumer related agencies or departments assigned to help consumers with issues such as this. The problem is there are 50 states and more when you count territories of the U.S. government. Unfortunately there is no single group tracking complaints of all consumers and the response from Chrysler related to this problem with the Pacifica.

If someone knows of a Federal Agency that will take action on the consumers behalf it would in my opinion be helpful to all who have vehicles disabled or affected by these vehicle frame problems. The 10 year window for warranty coverage is closing in on us rapidly and I suspect that Chrysler will attempt to delay action until the window closes hoping to slip away from responsibility.

Chrysler has a new CEO, from Europe, who is seemingly trying to improve the products produced by Chrysler (see recent 60 Minutes TV coverage). What was not mentioned are the many customers of Chrysler who have vehicles built to sub-standard quality like our Pacificas or how Chrysler would help consumers affected by poor quality of the past.

During the 60 minutes interview it was mentioned that Chrysler has the capital to withstand one future vehicle being produced and rejected by consumers. If they have that much capital they have the funds to fix our cars. All we need is an authoritative agency to to follow this and require Chrysler to take action for all Pacifica owners.
  • I hope this works for you and if it does post it so other people can do the same
  • Thanks for your interest and support. And yes, will be sure to post it. So far, the letter shows only the the NY Dept of State is asking Chrysler to "comment" and "show all correspondence" regarding my complaint. So, I'm not as optimistic as I would like to be. No doubt, they employ a team of smart lawyers to fire off a quick rebuttal.

The point is that if you don't give up -- and this is referring to others out there, actually, not you -- that if enough state or national watchdog agencies hear about this, then Chrysler may be forced to deal with it.
  • Chrysler is exhausting to deal with, to say the least. We have battled with Chrysler for the past year over my husband's 2004 Dodge Ram. They do not budge on their rust/corrosion warranty. We bought new, have taken very good care of the vehicle, and it is basically rusting out over the wheel wells...and every other one we see on the road around here is doing the same thing. We are in CT, so it sees some road salt, but nothing that my husband does not get washed off quickly. We are neat freaks with our cars. This thing is literally falling apart over the wheel wells at 116K. Terrible. There is a design flaw. Chrysler has been completely impossible - and frankly unresponsive to the point they won't even listen - they don't care. We also have a Pacifica, with its own share of issues, but I am praying the engine mounts are going to hold up. I just hit 100K. We are DONE with Chrysler. I hope you have better luck that we have. Sadly, our previous cars were foreign (Toyota, Nissan), with more miles at trade in and no problems, so we will go back to those brands as soon as we can afford to get rid of these.
  • If you Google it you will find a lot of other manufactures have the same problems with their cars
  • Thank you. As I have been pursuing this problem , it seems to me that rust in the body of the car indicates poor workmanship/materials, but rust in the subframe/engine cradle is a major defect: The car is dangerous to drive and won't pass inspection.

Chrysler HAS owned up to this by issuing its extended warranty for a small number of Pacificas. They are just refusing to address how widespread the problem is, and if the complaints are not widespread then they will get away with it.

I see rust on vehicles all the time, over the wheels, etc, and it's a different issue. The metal in the subframe, naturally, is supposed to be a lot stronger than the metal used for the body of a car.

While your rust may be unsightly, it does not prevent you from driving the vehicle (Or do you have rust in the subframe as well?).

When Toyota had this problem, they issued a recall. Just google Toyota truck frame recall. Chrysler will probably get away with this due to a combo of corporate irresponsibility/shoddy customer relations and Pac owners giving up the fight.

Complaints must be filed, and word must get out. I am not a well-read blogger, and have been turned down by the New York Times consumer editorialist "The Haggler," but I intend to shine as much light on this as possible.

If you have this problem, pick one thing per day and just do it: Post to car forums, write your congressmen/state reps/State Dept of Consumer Protection, complain at NHSTA, contact the press. It may be exhausting, but that's what Chrysler relies on. At least if we lose we know that we pursued every option.

And yes: If I ever can afford to buy a vehicle again, it will NOT be a Chrysler.
  • I fought with Chrysler on the engine cradle warranty for my Pacifica. I finally filed a complaint with the Attorney General'soffice and also with the district manager of our local dealership. As soon as I did that they suddenly agreed to the repair. Try that route too
  • Good for you, and thanks very much. Will make sure I revisit the dealership too.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    You might insist that the Zone Rep meet with you and see what he or she says. Fiat has limited the Zone Reps and extended their Zones, so it may take longer.

Have you considered taking this PAC back to where you bought it, and dumping it back on their worries? If you have the PAC financed contact where you are making the payments and asking them to put some pressurer on the dealer?

A member of my family who retired from B of A and part of their job was helping pressure dealers to deal with it.
  • Thanks very much for the good suggestions. Will focus on the Zone Rep again (where I originally started, over a year ago). The car has been paid off for a couple of years , and I bought it out of state. Since it did not pass inspection and has an old sticker, I'm afraid to go on a long interstate drive with it, only to have the original dealer turn me down & have to drive all the way back. But I do understand the reasoning of going to the original dealer. Thanks again.
  • Terrible that this is going on and you cannot drive your car...it is a long shot, but have you tried contacting media in your area, or even on a larger scale, such as Dateline or such? Remember the tire problem with the Ford Explorer they brought to light years ago? I think I remember the Toyota Frame issue was covered by a larger media outlet as well. Especially since some Pacificas were already recalled for this? Or, have you contacted your attorney general's office. If you have AAA, or can get it, I believe the Gold (or upgraded) package includes 250 miles of towing, maybe they would flatbed your car to the original dealer?
  • Thanks for the thought, and yes, I have tried "The Haggler" consumer columnist at the New York Times but he was not interested. I will try the NY Post next...
  • odreodre Posts: 1
    I too need this new warranty can you please send me a copy of that .My Pacifica has 2 broken motor mounts that the technician says that MUST get fixed since the car is not safe. I did get them repaired in 20010 now here we are again 2012 and I have the same problem with both of them . I was told i only had a years warranty on that.The rear cross arm needs replacing and both rear bushings tying the suspension to the frame is rotting. I need to do this in steps because I don't have the money to ... from all the motor mount complaints on the Internet, we know (and Chrysler knows) that there is a problem there. They should at least take care of that. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Chrysler to deal with this problem ...
  • Sadly even with the letter it wont help with the motor mounts as they are considered ware items. I was told by a chrysler shop that the mounts go bad on pacificas fast.. The engine is put in their sideways so it causes them to go bad quickly. I was also told that having big difference in between the 4 engine mounts on it causes them to ware out even faster... Personally I got tired of all the problems my Pacifica had and traded out of it...
    Motor mounts are only warretied for what ever MOPAR has printed on the package. I have had to replace motor mounts twice and the transmission mount once. I live on a very tough road, rocks, gravel, and pot holes, and I expect these mounts to need replacement from time to time. However hitting a curb hard, or hitting a pot hole can damage these mounts as well. Generally these mounts are considered wareable items. So I would not fight about the mounts.

As for the bushings they too are wareable items. The parts and items you mention could be seen by some as abuse, by a lot of things happening.

How many miles have you put on from the last time you had your mounts replaced. I have a friend who is a service advisor at a dealer and I will ask him if you can tell me hooooow many miles you have put on.

Our PAC has 132,00 miles on our AWD PAC, and I expect to have more repairs because we drive a lot, up to 2,500 miles a month. It seems like we are putting on tires a lot but we are getting about 41,000 miles a set of tires, and that's real good for a vehicle that weighs almost 4,800 lbs.
  • There is no extended warranty on motor mounts
  • More bad news: The NY Dept of Consumer Protection did nothing more than contact Chrysler with an anemic request that they explain my case. Chrysler wrote them a short letter saying that "based on the facts" my case has been denied.

(?! I am keenly interested in their definition of "facts.") So, just like that, NY State backs down and advises me that they will take no further action -- apparently based on Chrysler's decision to take no further action. Consumer Protection? While I'm at it I'd like their definition of "protection."

Meanwhile winter is coming, the Pacifica sits (won't pass inspection due to rust holes) and I'm driving an 11 year old P.T. Cruiser that performs on winter roads with all the stability of a drunk on ice skates.

Running out of options here.
    It just might be time to bite the bullet, and trade it in and carry over a dead horse. I would guess a large percentage of us have had to bring some negative ballance on top of the cost of the car we buy. PERHAPS TAKE IT BACK TO WHERE YOU BOUGHT THIS RUST BUCKET AND DUMP IT BACK ON THEM.
  • Thanks for your thoughts.

If I could afford to, I would get rid of it. As is, there are holes in the subframe that prevent this car from passing inspection, or even being driven. The dealer from whom I bought it is out-of-state and tells me there's nothing they can do. I do not have a budget for a car payment at this time.

I am losing my home, under-employed, and have absolutely no room to add to monthly expenses. A car payment cannot happen until I find more work.

This will be an exercise in me pursuing every possible route that does not cost money, eventually meeting with lawyers to form a class action. After getting nowhere going up the chain with Chrysler, I have registered complaints with every so-called government or business watchdog group/agency that exists and have struck out (pending notification from the State Attorney General).

Anyway, lesson learned. But if it can be useful to someone else, lesson not wasted.
  • Did post #730 get erased, because I would never do that either...;) Maybe sell it for parts and get a cheap car for now? front wheel drive and put studded snow tires on.
  • Thought it was just me, not being able to find that one . But I agree too! No matter how bad things get, if we lose our own integrity then we've sunk too low.

Will finish my "last resort" moves (Attorney General, writing all elected officials possible as well as press outlets, and filing for class action if a good firm will take the case), and then focusing on finding a deal on snow tires.

Seriously, even an inexpensive car is out of the question at the moment. But what you suggest makes perfect sense. Thank you.
  • jft26jft26 Posts: 35
    I had the oil pan on my 2006 Pacifica 3.5L replaced at a NY dealership service facility about a week ago due to stripped out drain. Now, after the replacement has been completed I get a noise from the engine compartment sounding like an exhaust leak along with a low rumbling when I accelerate slowly going through the 1-2 shift and through the next shift point. Cruising speed 50 mph plus it is as quiet as a mouse. If I open it up over 45 mph to pass another vehicle on the parkway the same noise and low rumbling presents itself. The dealer service facility has looked at it 3X already ..... retightening the exhaust pipe connection to the rear exhaust manifold and checking the complete exhaust system but the issue persists. They say the exhaust connections are all tight and there is no black carbon leakage noticible anywhere. They cannot fix the problem and left it at that telling me to return when/if it gets worse. There was some oil drippage from the rear motor mount last Thursday but after using the car in the rain on Saturday the drippage was washed away and there is no new sign of leakage. The dealer service manager said that if the motor mount was bad there would be lots and lots of oil leakage. The rear motor mount (along with the other two mounts) is currently dry as a bone on the motor mount and the surrounding area. Is it true that the only sign of a bad motor mount is lots and lots of oil leakage? I am at a loss and getting nowhere fast in getting this issue resolved. They did something to create this new issue but noone can figure out how to resolve the issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • charger3charger3 Posts: 209
    edited October 2012
    This is what they did--OIL PAN
    REMOVAL
    1) Disconnect negative battery cable.
    2) Remove radiator close out panel.
    3) Remove radiator core support.
    4) Remove radiator cooling fans.
    5) Remove the engine oil indicator.
    NOTE: It is not necessary to recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system to perform this procedure.

6) Remove the top air conditioning compressor bolts.
    7) Raise and support the vehicle.
    NOTE: It is not necessary to recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system to perform this procedure.

8) Remove the lower air conditioning compressor mounting bolts and reposition the compressor with a suitable retaining strap.
    9) Remove the air conditioning compressor bracket
    10) Remove structural collar from oil pan and transmission housing.
    11) Remove the inspection shield between the transmission and oil pan.
    12) Drain engine oil. Now I wonder if something is out of alignment or a part like #10 not put on. If you took it to another dealer and told them that an oil change place stripped the pan bolt and replaced the pan and you have these noises and see if they can find it. I don't know if your service record would pop up on their screen or if they would have to look it up. I would hope they would check the car before they look it up. You could tell them you would like to wait for it and when they find the problem you would make an appointment for later in the week. If it was fixed at a Chrysler dealer any dealer should be able to re fix it. Dealers are like doctors they have each others back and most won't rat out the other. You could take it to a repair shop you trust and if they find the problem tell Chrysler what it is and if they would fix it or if the problem goes away after the repair shop fixes it would they pay
  • jft26jft26 Posts: 35
    Thank you for the information charger3. So then they didn"t have to touch the motor mounts and lift the engine based on the steps indicated. Hmmmm .. I'm curious because it looks like the rear motor mount nut on the lower crossmember had a socket on it . Also, the air filter box toward the front of the engine was removed .... I know this because it was not in correctly so I removed it and reinstalled it correctly myself. Looks like they made access to the mount in that front area under the air filter box.
  • charger3charger3 Posts: 209
    When I work on mine I always remove the Air filter box. It is the easiest way to remove the belt to get the airconditioning out of the way. I also remove the bottom splash shield and inner fender. That belt can be a pain in the butt to put back on. The dealer could have a different way of doing it that they found easier than the repair manual. I knew a repair shop that would disconnect the front suspension and lift the body away from the engine instead of pulling the engine out the hood
  • jdmillsjdmills Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Thank you so much for the information! Do you have a new link to the PDF? This one just takes me to Adobe's website. I have already had a case opened, but they rejected it because my Pacifica is an '04 model.

EDIT: Never mind, it appears your PDF has made it elsewhere on the internet. Here is the link for anyone just finding this issue.
  • Can someone email me this letter about the rust issue with the 2005 pacifica. I would really appreciate it. Thanks to all
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Look one post above yours and follow the link.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host