Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Heating / Cooling

Comments

• rab23465rab23465 Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 van and the radio has a button on the front to switch from AM/FM to CD/AUX.
    My question is this: Can I hook up some sort of connection from the back of the radio to be able to connect an MP3 player with a 3mm stereo headphone jack connection to the radio in my van. I have another vehicle that has an aux connection which makes it very easy to connect and listen to an MP3 player.

How do I get to access the back of the radio? Is there some sort of diagram that shows me the back of the radio? Thanks for any help.
  • mhatkinsmhatkins Posts: 1
    I just replaced the water pump on My 94 Safari, after replacing the EGR valve which was after replacing the MAP sensor. The H2O pump was leaking pretty badly from the top and bottom weep holes, so, I replaced it. During the problem with the H2O pump acting up, it also leaked a little bit from the rear heater core. I had to replace water every morning to the tune of 1 gallon a day. Replaced the H2O pump. Solved the leak under the hood. But now, the water leaks even worse out of the rear heater core with periods of alot of steam and very wet carpet. And I now have to put in 2-3+ gallons of water into the radiator and reservoir about every 30-40 miles. The van has a new belt and hoses. Have not checked the thermo yet, but I think it is fine. Is there ANY way to diable the rear heater in these vans? I'm thinking cutting the lines to the rear heater core and capping them off. The van was a multi passenger van, but is now used as a work vehicle. Rear heater is NOT needed or wanted.( Yes, the van has regular oil and filter changes every 1200 miles due to age and it is used to tow a trailer 6 days a week.)
  • capt_genecapt_gene Posts: 3
    2002 Safari. 6 Cyl. 130K-----There are several 'large' hoses in the engine compartment related to the 'controls'.... also some very small ones, one of which was cut/burned, and replaced. One of the larger ones at the same 'junction' (Passenger side, engine compartment') isn't connected, just hanging. Looks like the end came off of something ((instead of having been burnt?)) but I can't find any place it goes. Looks like the main 'air' in hose to the system but not sure. A photo of where it goes would be awful nice, but any help is great.
  • capt_genecapt_gene Posts: 3
    In my last post, 246, I had a hose I didn't know where it belonged...... Now, thanks to this site, I know where it goes (I think), the round ball, pass. side, down low...... Problem, I can't properly see it and can't feel a place for the hose to go.. Any suggestions? It just feels round. Going back to play but hope that if I don't figure it out someone will tell me what I'm missing or a way out of my dilemma.
  • eriklaneeriklane Posts: 16
    That round ball is where that hose terminates-there's a spot for it to connect, but its location, behind the mud flap in the right side wheel well is difficult to get to. I ended up just taking out the mud flap, then taking out the ball (had 1 metal screw) and then taking that ball topside, connecting it, and then just laying it on top of the motor-it just sits there, loose, but it dont go anywhere, and doesn't get into the fan...funny. Bad design...I wasn't gonna fish in there more than once-after I'd originally connected it, and then found it apart again, it is just not worth the time to have to dig around blind in there to find the spigot...hek with it.
  • achilliesachillies Posts: 1
    This applies to Re: probably a vaccum hose [97xpresso] by cob, and I really have to thank you guys. I had been trying to figure this out for two years, and finally got it licked. I have a 97 GMC Savanah comversion van, and for several years it has had no A/C in the rear unit, only heat.. lots of heat. The front air and heat worked fine, but when switching between AC and defrost it took a minute to actually change air paths (from the vents to the defrost). I never connected the two problems, but since cob's problem was the same as mine, I followed his lead and found the vacuum hose behind the accumulator and routed across the engine to a spot behind the compressor and air cleaner. Mine has a tee behind the accumulator or evaporator. The tee has one "input" vacuum hose, the 1/8" solid kind, that goes to the control on the dash I think, one hose that connects to an actuator in the front for the "mode valve" I think, and one that goes to the rear temperature switch (or whatever it's called) behind the compressor and air cleaner. The spot that was leaking/crushed/deteriorated, was where it connected behind the compressor. I should have replaced the entire hose, but I had some extra play and it was just the rubber 1/4" kind, so I clipped off 3 inches of the end and re-connected it. Now I have rear A/C OR heat, depending on how the temp control is set, and when I switch the front between A/C and defrost it responds immediately. Thanks again.
  • putz3putz3 Posts: 1
    There were a lot of great tips here on the vacuum situation, so I'm adding mine.

I replaced all the vacuum lines except the little skinny one leading across the top of the engine from the passenger side. That one had snapped and was brittle, but I could not reach the other end back in the engine compartment. I didn't have the time to remove the doghouse, so here is what I did:

I had left over standard vacuum hose from doing the other replacements (about 10").
    I had some high temp silicone gasket sealer from Permatex.

I removed as much of the brittle line as I felt I could and then smeared the gasket sealer for about 3 inches along the length of the remaining small tubing. I then slipped the standard vacuum line over both ends. Once done, I used a Q tip with a blob of silicone to dab on each end of the standard tubing.

Voila! Sealed.

I then loosely pinched some aluminum foil around the whole thing as a heat guard and put everything back together.

Works fine.
  • WE HAVE A 99 ASTRO VAN THAT WONT SEEM TO HOLD FREON, IVE REPLACED THE DRIER ON IT AS WELL AS THE ORIFICE, DONE LEAK TEST NOTHING FOUND, PULLED VACUUM ON IT AND RECHARGED AND IT ONLY HELD FOR 3 DAYS...ALSO IT WAS ONLY BLOWING COLD IN THE FRONT THE REAL STILL BLEW HOT...CAN ANYBODY HELP ME OUT HERE?
  • lvdavelvdave Posts: 1
    o.k. i'm going to replace my hose's but what i have and what they are selling looks different. the hose going to my the rear a/c has a crimped on hose, and the replacement hose has a screw on connection.
    i found one that what looks right but is for the wrong year.
  • Can anyone tell me where to find a vacuum hose diagram for a 2000 chevy astro, had the same issues with the vacuum lines and replaced all of them from some vacuum scrap I had from rebuilding my camaro and also I need a part number for the rotary wheel that controls the rear ac/heat.
  • bdarbdar Posts: 19
    Hi rednekwizard,

I actually have a vacuum diagram for a 97 Chevy Astro. It should be about the same for the 2000 Astro Van. You can actually get it at the dealer. If you go to any Chevy Dealer and go to the Parts Department, they will usually print out any diagram that you need for free. I can send it to you if you give me your email address. So are you having problems with the air blowing out of the defrost?
  • Help!! My 2005 Chevy Astro van & need a vacuum system diagram also! Labor Day wknd & have no ac going across front driver panels. Ac works at defrosts & rear but not on front driver/ passenger sides! Hot, Hot, Hot! My van is 6 cylinder Vortec.
    I appreciate your help & enjoy this holiday weekend.

tlsm1264@yahoo.com
  • tlsm1264tlsm1264 Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Hi Rednekwizard,
    I wanted to say THANK ~YOU for the very valuable information you had sent me via email to my posting on a vacuum system problem with my 2005 Chevy Astro van yesterday. My boyfriend went up to the corner NAPA Auto Parts store this morning and spent $3.50 on some vacuum line hose. The job took just an hour to fix and now my ac runs perfect. Thank you for helping us save $200+ for such as simple repair. You're an angel. Please stay safe & enjoy the rest of your Labor Day weekend. 0:)

Tyna
    Deltona, FL
  • Hello,
    I feel like a bit of an eavesdropper, but I am having an identical problem with my 2001 Chevy Astro van (AC only blows thru defrost and "Max AC" setting blows same as normal "AC" setting). This is after being charged $1600.00 for a new AC system. No, I will never use that mechanic again, I swear.
    Do you still have a diagram of the vacuum system? If so, could I beg you to send me a copy?
    Thank you,

Mike Dugan
    mdugan1@cfl.rr.com
    Hi Mike. I will forward the information to your email address. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner yesterday!
  • Can someone please email me the diagram also. This has been an ongoing issue with my 2000 GMC Safari as well. Please help.
    rubalcavaaa@yahoo.com.
  • Thank you for sending the drawing and for taking the time to detail the repair.
    Very helpful and very appreciated!
  • bdar-

I have a 2004 chevy astro with the same problem. The hvac is stuck on distributing air through the defrost. It changes the type of air output (max ac, ac, vent air) but won't move the flaps to change the output direction. If you could e-mail the solution to me that would be great... babcock.tony at gmail.com
  • does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum hoses on my 2000 gmc safari? If anyone has it can you please email it to me at rubalcavaaa@yahoo.com?
  • Could you please forward that vacuum hose diagram to ddelapaz@earthlink.net
    Thanks in advance.
  • Could you please e-mail me the vacuum diagram at andyctc@charter.net
  • 2001 GMC Safari Van. The a/c works but will not blow the any air hot or cold out front vents. There is a trickle of air on windshield and floor vents. We already replaced blower motor and dash switches and charged the freon. Front and middle passengers uncomfortable. Rear riders cold, rear overhead air works great.
  • Hi~~~
    On 09/06/2010 I had posted a "trouble w/ my front ac vents on a 2005, Chevy Astro van not allowing the ac to flow out" question. The gentleman that assisted me told me abou a possible HOSE problem! That hose problem was NOT a $200+ mechanic job but marely a $3.50 hose problem that took my boyfriend a a short 1 hour start to finish job. Please check your ac hoses....so simple and so obvious that it totally floored me! Best of luck.

Tyna
  • I'm having same fan thru defrost vents only problem with my Astro van. Could you maybe help me out as well?
    Thanks so much.
    Hi Englishmom6,

Sorry i didn't respond earlier. I got the email notification about your post, but I forgot to get on the forum and message you. Just post an email address and I will email you the Vacuum Diagram and the instructions on how to fix the problem. This problem is a simple one and caused by the plastic vacuum lines breaking apart and so the AC unit doesn't have any vacuum (suction) to push the air through the vents and it just comes out of the defrost.
    Hi ohmickey63,

Just post your email address for me and I will email you the vacuum diagram and the information on how to fix the problem.
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post my instructions for the vacuum line repair problem where the air blows out of the Defrost Vents only and not the front vents. It is an annoying problem, but certainly very cheap and easy to fix with a little work and some cheap parts. I also have the vacuum diagram, but I am not sure how to post it on the forum so if you need a copy, just post your email address and I will email you a copy of it.

I have the vacuum Diagram for a 97' Chevy Astro and from what I understand it should be the same for all the upper model astros and I think the GMC Safarri's as well (But I am not sure about the GMCs). If you are having the air come out from the defrost and not from the vents, you should check 3 critical areas. So I will try to explain it to you as best as I can. So if you are standing in front of the Astro and open the hood, you would look to your left hand side first. There is a big black box like thing all the way to the left (and that is the ac blower fan). Right beside that, there is a medium size silver canister that should have tubes coming out from it. That is the AC condenser and that is where you would recharge Freon to the car. Right next to the canister (on the right side, tucked in a little) you should find some sort of a t-connector with three vacuum hoses connected to it, Once should be going into the firewall (the wall of the car going into the vehicle, one should be going down towards the bottom of the car, and the other should be going to the right. Most likely, the one going to the right is the one that is broken. That one passes to the right by the alternator and other things on its way to the engine manifold where it connects in. That area is extremely hot (when the car is on) and that is why those vacuum lines tend to break down quickly (Thank Chevy for their stupid designs, LOL). It may take some bending and moving with your hand to get into those tight spaces to reach the other end of the vacuum hose. They sell replacement vacuum hose/tubing at Napa Auto Parts by the foot, and they have vacuum connector heads in multi-packs at Auto Zone. Basically, you will have to build your own new vacuum tube with a head on each end, one to connect into the t-connector and one to connect on the engine manifold. I would make the tube a bit longer so you can position it away from the hotter parts of the car and you can use plastic strapping ties to secure it so that it doesn't get caught in any gears belts, etc.

That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, I would check the second line from the t-connector going down to the bottom of the car. That line connects into the vacuum ball underneath the car. The vaccum ball is located underneath the car by the right front tire (in the same area as directly underneath the condenser. So you would have to get on the ground and slide underneath the car (Head first) and look with a flashlight underneath the front and you will find the vacuum ball. It is a round plastic ball thing and it should have a vacuum line connected to it. Check the line and also check the ball for any cracks, etc. If the line is bad, change the line and then if the ball is bad, you can get a new one from the dealer and I also think AutoZone has them (Check their website). The ball clips on with two clips/screws to the metal of the car and you would have to pull away the plastic flap of the wheel wall to see those two screws.
  • rab23465rab23465 Posts: 9
    edited September 2010
    I would also like a copy of that diagram. Is it possible that you could send me a copy of it as well? Thanks for all you help on this topic. send to: bbeckwith@shaw.ca
  • Thank you for your very helpful post.
    Please send me vacuum diagram for 2000 astro. Thanx
    tjchesebro@mac.com