Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    Jenny - I would recommend starting with the inexpensive things first like cleaning the battery terminals. then check the battery cables to see if they have any obvious wear and corrosion. sometimes the battery gets low on water and acid. if that's the case add some distilled water. before you spend the money changing out the alternator, the shop can put an amp meter on it to see if it's doing what its supposed to. a car that age it could be alot of things. are you sure that is what caused your car to die?
  • I have an 02 Buick Regal and the same thing happened to me today, I have no idea what it is but I didn't think that the two problems of the ABS and stalling were connected, but now I am guessing there is a common problem between the two. My car is in the shop, I will hopefully know more tomorrow. Have you obtained any info?
    Best regards
  • My wife just recently got a 1998 Buick Regal LS from her aunt. The headlights do not come on at all and the only way you can use your brights is to hold the switch towards you and drive which is kinda dangerous. The lights are auto on so I am thinking that a sensor has went out for it. Also the odometer does not work at all, but all the lights on the dash work. The cruise control does not work, but the windshield wipers work. Cam somebody please let me know what may be going on? :confuse:
  • scotty801scotty801 Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    I believe most of your problems relate to possible bad wiring or bad switches in your steering column. Try adjusting the steering column to see if lights come on. If they do that would more than likely indicate there is a problem relating to wiring not a sensor. Your odometer not working... are you referring to the lights? If so that is caused by bad or loose resistors on the back of your instrument gauge circuit board.
  • abutcherabutcher Posts: 33
    edited April 2010
    cking9494,
    To fix your odometer, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FAjLxoK00#

I had the same problem with my 2001 Regal odometer and PRND321, and it worked like a champ!
  • cking9494cking9494 Posts: 3
    Thanks. I took that instrument panal off today and I bout threw it out I was so mad lol. I will be sure to go get what I need from radio shack. Thanks for the help. :)
  • cking9494cking9494 Posts: 3
    How much would a new switch cost if you may know? I will be sure to use the video that some body sent me as a reply also to take off my panel that way I can have all gauges working. Is there another screw on the steering cover for the top after you remove the bottom? I am having a big issue with it wanting to stick.
  • smorrison2smorrison2 Posts: 1
    Matthew, I am having the same problems as you were having April 9, 2010 post #271 2003 Buick Regal shutting down. Any solutions?
    Thanks, Scott
  • smoke455smoke455 Posts: 1
    in case you haven't found it yet I'll chime in...
    Went thru this last March - 60mph on the highway, tried to signal for a lane change and the engine died. The first two dealerships tore the dashboard apart with no results. Third dealership told me over the phone they had seen it before - $90 ignition switch in the steering column (not the key switch - the electrical portion behind that). I had the dealer replace it as I didn't want to set off an air bag - car has not had an issue with it since.
  • I've had my regal for four years and have been very happy with the car just until last week when it started turning off while driving and the dash board lights flicker, gages go back and forth, engine chokes when trying to start it. Took it to a mechanic who checked the battery and alternator which work fine and believes it was something to do with the ignition switch but was unable to solve the issue and referred me to the dealer. Now my car is at the dealer and I'm told that GM has sent an alert about this common problem/issue and recommends a procedure which is to remove the underhood panel, check fuses, repair terminals and install diaelectric grease - whatever the hell that means. The cost is going to be $350 and they do not gtee this will solve the problem. This tells me that there's an underlying problem and it could be very serious; especially when the car turns off while driving. :mad: Let's see what the end result is when I pick-up the car from the dealer. Stay tuned....
  • vlad84vlad84 Posts: 1
    Hi! I have Buick Regal 1995 year, 3.8v and have the same problem as you do. The turning off is usually happened during the summer time. No one can tell me what the problem is. What about your car? Did they fix your problem in the dealership?
    Thanks
  • zane3zane3 Posts: 1
    With regards to the 'backup lights' did you ever get a reply regarding that? My tail lights work, blinkers, everything on my '02 Regal but the reverse/backup lights don't work. Replaced the bulbs, checked the fuse not sure what is wrong. Don't want to pay a dealership to look at it either.
  • ssuunnyyssuunnyy Posts: 4
    No. Backup lights never came back on. The last time they were on was when I was driving to state inspection. 00 B Regal LS passed for another two years. Then backup lights went off. Checked bulbs, fuses, trunk wiring, to no avail. I feel it must be under the car some where. I'm due for 12/2011 inspection. I hope to have another car by then.
  • Hi to all and thank you for helping me solve my problem. I hope my posting here will help others with similar problems. I have an '02 Buick Regal. When we first purchased the car (used) all was ok. Then we started having problems removing the ignition key. After doing some research on here, I had made the decision to replace the ignition switch assembly; The electrical and NOT the key portion of the switch. My car has a floor shift which makes some difference in the replacement part, although I'm not aware of just what the difference is. Some do's and dont's when replacing the switch. Make sure you have the proper tools. You cannot replace this switch without a deep E4 torx external socket. These are hard to get locally, and I had to order mine from a tool source on the internet. The shallow ones will not reach the upper screw on the switch, so be advised to get the deepest socket that you can find. VIM Tools makes some nice tools to do this job, and the prices aren't going to kill you. Next, be careful when removing the decorative "clamshell" around the keyswitch-4 way flasher actuator. I broke mine getting it off, so another visit to the junkyard will be in my immediate future. Your patience will be rewarded, plus make sure you remove ALL of the screws before attempting removal of this cover. This being said, the rest is a walk in the park. Just a matter of ignition tumbler removal and straight forward remove and replace. Just so you know what was happening, I was driving my father home from church one sunday morning, when the car just died. I restarted and it got me home. I put the car up on ramps to make it easy for me to work on, but shortly after I could not start it again. It seems that when I exposed my steering column, I had found that the alarm installer had cut into the harness to facilitate installation of the alarm system. Needless to say, when I replaced the switch, I left the alarm out of the new switch harness. No way do I want the same problems for the sake of an alarm system. Put the switch in and tested. Started flawlessly time after time, and the best part is that the key came out of the switch every time. If you have this problem, bite the bullet and buy the switch (mine cost 116.00 at NAPA), and the necessary tools. I've heard of some shops charging about $600.00 for doing this job. It isn't all that hard or time consuming, although I've been a professional mechanic for my entire life. Give it a shot. Good luck.
  • Hi, Had a similar problem and just went through this whole debacle. It's the ignition switch. Does you car have an alarm system installed? If so check the electrical harness coming down the steering column to see if it has been cut into to facilitate connections. This, in my opinion, is the worst thing you can do to a car, especially a car notorious for these types of problems. The switch cannot handle the extra loads placed on it by the alarm system, and fails prematurely. This problem will cause all types of "Phantom" problems to occur. Replace the switch. You won't be sorry. Good luck.
  • I finally got the car fixed after 3 weeks of hell at the dealership....
    They gave me the runaround - trying to tell me that the diagnostic work and some gease job was reccommended.... but notiing that they did worked, until I went to the top and wrote a letter to the big kahuna, then they got it together... Anyhow, I told them to check the iginition swith as this is what I reading about and seemed to be the same problems as others were encountering... but they didn't want to listen to a woman... I finally got my car back and it's runnng fine now... no turning off while driving, light flickering, etc... All is well. I hope this helps?
  • I have a 1993 Regal Limited Coupe and had this problem. Replace the turn signal swith as I also had a problem with the left side brake lights. No problem since. You have to be careful to order the right part though as the turn signal switch on these cars come 1 of 2 ways. 1 with radio controls on the sterring whelland the 2nd without.
    Hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    Warren
  • I have a 1997 Buick Regal LS, when I get it started the speedometer goes back and forth wildly and the anti-lock brake light is on with a few other lights that shouldn't be. It runs fine, but when I turn the turn-signal left, it buzzes, when I turn it right, it kills the car and I can't get it to start again for awhile. I've had the alternator looked at, but it's fine and so is the starter. The battery is fine as well and so are the connectors to it. All the fuses are fine, none of the ones under the hood or inside are broken. I need to get it running soon since it's my only car, any thoughts?
  • Kelly I have the same odometer problem. Once in a while it does light up dimmly. Is there a posting here on how to fix it or can you please help me out with this?
    Thanks....................Pastaboy