Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I took the car into the dealer last year, and they replaced the blower control module. The dealer did warn me that this may not be the problem, because they could not duplicate the problem. Anyway that was the problem and the fan has been OK for the last year.
  • i have a 2003 buick regal and today the heated seat went on high and wouldn't turn off even after engine was turned off.
    only way to turn it off was disconnect the battery because when i bought the car it didn't have owners manual which was supose to be sent to me in the mail....... burning and not only on bottom!!!
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    I've heard of numerous cases where heated seats stopped working, but never a case where the heated seats worked too good!

Do both seats stay on, or is it just the one? If just the one, then the problem might be the switch for that seat.

Still under bumper-to-bumper warranty?
  • just MY luck that it's only the driver seat and yes on warrenty... it's at dealership now.. only had vehicle a wk.. sigh.. they said it shorted out...in on position..i say it was more like a fry egg position.. appreciate your replying to me.. just was curious if anyone else experienced that!
    thanks!!!
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    With all of the electrical gremlins that I have experienced, my heated seats work fine. Of course now that I said that, they will not work. Oh well, at least your repair is covered under the warranty.
  • rhinncrhinnc Posts: 66
    For the second time in 6 months my wifes Regal died. Last fall we had intermittent issues with various lights on the dash coming on and going off. To make a long story short it was a faulty ignition switch.

This evening my wife tried to start the car and the battery seemed to be dead. A check by the tow truck operator showed the battery fully charged. He towed the car to the Buick dealer that replaced the switch last fall.

Guess we will find out Monday what the problem is.

At least GM warrants the switch for 12months or 12k miles.

The car has 80K miles on it.

Will post results of dealers findings Monday.
    Turned out while the battery was fully charged, there was corrosion near the positive terminal. The dealer cleaned it up and it started fine. The light on the dash that was coming on was the Brake and ABS lights.

Added brake fluid and all is well. So it was not the ignition switch after all.
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Corroding positive terminals is common on this car. I believe it is in the design of the side mounted terminals. Expect to replace battery every few years. Check for corrosion every 6 months.

If you buy a new battery it should be prorated. Save the papers so that when it is time to purchase new battery you are not out the full cost.

If you ever go to start the car and there is nothing, check the battery first. Unhook it and clean it. It may get you started so you can drive to buy a new battery. And yes changing the battery is fun too.

My bad terminal cost me a few hours one morning. Good luck.
    Thanks.

Wonder if the little felt corrosion washer would be worth putting on the battery?
    Driving home from work yesterday my wife said the airbag light came on.

It flashes when you start the car and then remains on after the car is running.

Anything to check this weekend before she takes to dealer on Monday?

2000 Regal GS, 80K miles
  • spdycindyspdycindy Posts: 4
    The air bag light could be triggered by debris or someone's feet hitting the wiring under the driver's seat. You can make sure that the plugs are connected under there, but to get the light re-set you have to have the dealer's service guy re-set the light. I had this happen to me, and they wouldn't tell me how to re-set the light if it happens again. Just make sure you keep the area under the seat very vacant.
    I looked under the seat and there was a CD case that my wife asked me if I had seen lately.

It was wedged near a yellow plug. It appeared that the plug was still plugged in, but maybe not. She is taking it to the dealer to get checked out.

Hope that was the problem. I noticed in the owners manual it mentioned being careful around any yellow plugs. Just did not mention where they were.

Thanks for the information!
    Again thanks for the information!

The plug appeared to be in OK, all I did was push it back together although I didnt feel any movement.

This morning we get in, the airbag light flashed like normal and then went out! Anyway all's well , I guess.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    Let me add that the problem can be wiring get wet. Has the car been washed lately? Also, a tip I received from a Buick technician when I bought my 2000 GS (which I no longer have): Wipe clean the computer chip (or whatever the correct terminoly is) on your key. If it's dirty, it can send the wrong signals to the car's computer. Sounds odd, but as he explained, the ABS brake pump circuitry is tied into the ignition. Therefore a dirty key chip may emit the wrong signals (do you have a second key to see if this theory holds?).

One last thing: If the problem ends up being the ABS brake pump, Buick will pay for half (if not the entire cost)if you have less then 70,000 miles on the odometer. Brake pump costs $1,900 installed.
  • regal00lsregal00ls Posts: 7
    The odometer on my 2001 Regal LS is no longer visible. I was wondering if this is a simple fix with just a new bulb or more involved. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Sounds like the old loose resistor connection problem. Best bet is to remove the instrument cluster and look for and re solder/replace any loose resistors on the instrument circuit board.
  • regal00lsregal00ls Posts: 7
    Thank you for the info. As soon as it is fixed I will let you know what the exact problem was and how to fix.
  • Where should I start to fix the problem?
    I have a 96 buick regal. I replace the hazard fuse
    last time and it work for about 3 months. Is my car shorting it out that quick. Or do I need a new switch on the brake pedal.
  • aedaed Posts: 8
    Have searched the site and not found exact help to resolve 2 problems with my otherwise really good car.

1. With headlights illuminated, instrument cluster lights go off intermittently and may come back on. Only shift position/odometer and clock lights on. Suspect loose connection, bad ground or bad light switch. Removed panel at end of dash at switch but could not remove switch to inspect. Does anyone have instructions to remove switch and/or recommendation for DIY fix for dash board lights?

2. Recently experienced that ignition key will periodically not move to last "remove" position when engine turned off and then cannot extract key. Moving steering wheel does not always help. Normally have to restart engine and move car back and forth while centering steering wheel. On level surface. Had ignition switch replaced last year when engine failed in traffic. Suggestions?
  • Most likley the ignition switch is bad. At least as far as item #2.

My wife was having intermittent lights coming on , but this was happening during daytime. After ignition switch replaced, this cleared up as well.
  • Just received car from mother in Florida and about to retitle and register in NY. Questions on forms about number of digits on odomenter. This car only has 18500 miles and I cannot see or determine if this od is a 5 or 6 digit gauge. There is nothing in any literature that references this. Appreciate any info.
  • I have a 2000 Buick Regal GS Supercharged engine.

I also have been having problems with removing my key from the ignition. It locks into place and I have to wait until I hear a click, or restart the car and try to move the vehicle. It has 90,000 miles.
    In addition, I recently had my ABS lights and Trac Off lights and Service Engine Lights come on when I was driving and they would not go off when the car was turned off. I had the electrical system hooked up to a computer for diagnostics, but the system wasn't able to be reset and I was going to bring it back in later for more testing. That night I went back and changed out my air filter and passenger compartment air filter (which was filthy). After starting my car up, all three lights went off automatically and haven't come back on since. Dirty air in the computer?
    Also, I have some electrical wires that are connected to the air filter hose, between the air filter unit and the engine. Can anyone tell me what they are for?
    Thank you
  • :confuse:

Hi All,

My 1994 Buick Regal Custom 3.1 v/6 Automatic... quit

NO Juice; I got in turned on key, turned to start and it turned over maybe twice - just a couple seconds and then all went dead;.......No dash lights...no head lights.....no doom light.....no radio.....no blinkers.....no power period !

I thought the battery(?) I had it towed home. Took the battery into be tested and it was a ok - excellent! So I tested the wiring with a ohms meter and a 12 volt tester.

I found juice to both fuse boxes that are under the hood. And all fuses were fine. The starter tested good. The alternator tested bad terminal and so I replaced it.

Still no power; same as before. I am thinking the dead alternator caused the problem.....But I do not know where to look now?????

Any ideas?

WC & TMJ
    Pacific NorthWest USA

http://www.vickiesremedies.com/
  • tomy2tomy2 Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem on my '97 Regal. Electric Odometer doesn't display along transmission settings. Did recommended fix work (replace panel replace resistor)?
  • bobp3bobp3 Posts: 3
    My 1999 Regal GSE has started to have intermittent dashboard issues. The issue seems to happen twice a week, for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Here is what happens:
    The tach, speedometer, fuel and Temperature gages do not move, and all are on "0". The following lights come on: Service Vehicle Soon, Anti Lock Brakes, Perf Shift, Trac off, Air bag, Low fuel light. The trip odometer and odometer are lit, but do not register mileage.

I can turn the car off, then back on and everything will work. This issue can happen when I turn the car on, or while I am driving. One time this issue happened for about 5 minutes, then everything started working again. Nothing else is affected, my climate control still works, sun roof works, electric windows work, headlights work, etc.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue. I called my local dealer, and it sounds like they will only be able to troubleshoot this if the issue happens to them.

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • armesarmes Posts: 32
    The pass key module behind the ignition switch is probably goning bad. Had same experience on 2002 Montana. You should be able to start car when it totally fails. You will not have any dash or accessory electricals.New module is around $160.00. Installation is medium to hard depending on your experience. Dealer can install.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    FWIW, clean your key before placing it in the ignition. Basad on my experiences, a dirty chip in your key can cause many, many false alarms (and false diagnostics).
  • Have a '94 with a problem in that occasionally the dashboard lights remain on long after the timer should have shut them off. Of course, this only occurs after dark and only sometimes. I try to get into the habit of checking the car a couple of minutes after arrival to make sure the lights are out (drained battery a number of times). If they remain on, I take out the fuse (and replaced next day). I have also noticed that none of the heater controls nor the temperature setting controls have lights at night. I have removed the temp setting controls and found NO bulbs in there. Could these be related and anyone have any ideas as to cause and cure?
  • I have a 1996 Buick Regal. 3.8 litre. We recently changed the alternator and battery, last night the accesory belt blew apart, and today we had to replace the tension pulley. The car turns over great but will not start. We unhooked the black battery cable for about 2 hours thinking maybe the computer needed to reset itself...but it still will not start, we thought maya coil???? but cannot locate a coil anywhere, When I say we I mean, my 16 year old son and a neighbor, I am at my wits end and my job is on the line as this is our only car...I have no family close, and a very limited budget...Any ideas??? :cry:
  • Hello, my 1991 buick regal ltd has cruise control. however when the indicator light is 'on' the cruise control still isn't working. This just recently happened. I went through the car & pulled ALL the fuses I could find. None were burned out.

Thanksfor your input.
    Terry