Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• I got the resistor and put in the circuit and the Regal cranked. I assume this means the tumbler needs replacing. Will I be able to leave the resistor in place or would it be better to try to replace the tumbler? I think the steering column would have to be disassembled to replace the tumbler and that looks like a chore to me. Anyway thanks for the help.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    Glad it worked. How hard was it to find the right wires on the steering column at the bottom? I may have to do similar to my 98 LeSabre if its wires break up at the tilt mechanism where they get flexed everytime the tilt wheel goes up and down.

I would just solder in the resistor and be happy. Messing with the airbag and taking apart the column to get to the wires at the flex point and then replacing the cylinder doesn't sound like fun to me. I think my dealer charged me near $200 to do the job with 2 news keys on 93 LeSabre. I could have put in a resistor myself!!!

ONly thing is your car has no theft protection against someone who has the right key; but probably thieves'll never know it doesn't have it!!!
  • The SIR wires were marked so I found the next two and they were covered with an orange cover like it said on the web site you sent me about the anti-theft. They were coming down the bottom of the column and looked like they went to the tumbler. I unplugged them and used the ohmn meter to check and got no resistance so I got the resistor in the harness and it started. I then cut the side coming from the lock tumbler and fixed the resistor in it right and everything is okay now. I put some resistors in the glove box just in case. Many thanks again.
    Great to hear. Thanks for reporting back. I wish I'd known this was possible on my 93 LeSabre-could have same lots of $20s on that repair. Of course, the dealer service isn't going to tell me.

Did you solder the resistor on or how did you connect it?
  • I cut the wires coming from the tumbler and soldered them in the wires so I could use the connector. If I decide to replace the tumbler I can them cut and splice the wires back together. All the Buick Dealer would tell me was to bring it in and they would fix it. Good Luck.
  • I have a 1994 Regal GS. The other day the sunroof opened up just fine but wouldn't close. It didn't budge. It didn't even make a noise like it was attemping to move and was maybe stuck or something. What could it be? I was thinking maybe a fuse, sunroof motor or something else. I'm really an illiterate when it comes to cars so if you do know what it could be, and ways to check, please walk me through it step by step. THANKS!
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I had the same problem with my 2000 Regal in summer 2004. Fixed it at a GM dealership (Chevrolet), who replaced the sunroof switch. It was not cheap, however: something like $150 to $200, if I remember it right.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    The same problem that you are experiecing, I've had twice on my 99 Regal. Both problems were covered under the warranty (thankfully). The first time the switch was replaced. The second time it happened the dealer replaced the switch, motor, and another switch that prevents the glass from going back too far, it was a couple of years ago and I don't remeber the name of the part. Needless to say it was repaired properly, but I only use the vent portion of the sunroof, I don't trust it, and would never have a sunroof again.
  • jz14jz14 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GS, and I recently started having the same problem with the blower motor for the heater. Were you able to figure out the underlying problem, and if so, what was the cost? Overall I have had good luck with the car, but I have had some electrical problems as well. At times, my dashboard looks like a Christmas tree there are so many lights on.

Thanks.
    I assume this has automatic air control and that the layout is similar to LeSabre with which I'm familiar. The blower itself might be having trouble turning when cold but that would usually give a little noise when it did work or when yo turn it off and it's spinning down. You didn't mention that.

If it's the same as the automatic LeSabre then you have a control circuit board instead of a resistor board that's in the air ducts where the blower can cool it. That circuit board can go bad. Usually on the H-series cars it locks on and keeps the blower running after the ignition is shut off. In other cases it doesn't start the blower whether in auto mode or manual blower mode. Sometimes the blower speed is erratic. These boards are available at Advance Auto and other parts suppliers and gmpartdirect.com and rockauto.com. But you want to troubleshoot first!

If you can check when cold at connection for blower motor to see if it's getting power you'll know what to look at next. Fuses, there probably is more than one. Possibly a relay (does it work on high speed?).

You might seek out a reputable shop where you can leave the car for them to check on a cold morning.
    I took the car into the dealer last year, and they replaced the blower control module. The dealer did warn me that this may not be the problem, because they could not duplicate the problem. Anyway that was the problem and the fan has been OK for the last year.
  • i have a 2003 buick regal and today the heated seat went on high and wouldn't turn off even after engine was turned off.
    only way to turn it off was disconnect the battery because when i bought the car it didn't have owners manual which was supose to be sent to me in the mail....... burning and not only on bottom!!!
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    I've heard of numerous cases where heated seats stopped working, but never a case where the heated seats worked too good!

Do both seats stay on, or is it just the one? If just the one, then the problem might be the switch for that seat.

Still under bumper-to-bumper warranty?
  • just MY luck that it's only the driver seat and yes on warrenty... it's at dealership now.. only had vehicle a wk.. sigh.. they said it shorted out...in on position..i say it was more like a fry egg position.. appreciate your replying to me.. just was curious if anyone else experienced that!
    thanks!!!
    With all of the electrical gremlins that I have experienced, my heated seats work fine. Of course now that I said that, they will not work. Oh well, at least your repair is covered under the warranty.
  • rhinncrhinnc Posts: 66
    For the second time in 6 months my wifes Regal died. Last fall we had intermittent issues with various lights on the dash coming on and going off. To make a long story short it was a faulty ignition switch.

This evening my wife tried to start the car and the battery seemed to be dead. A check by the tow truck operator showed the battery fully charged. He towed the car to the Buick dealer that replaced the switch last fall.

Guess we will find out Monday what the problem is.

At least GM warrants the switch for 12months or 12k miles.

The car has 80K miles on it.

Will post results of dealers findings Monday.
    Turned out while the battery was fully charged, there was corrosion near the positive terminal. The dealer cleaned it up and it started fine. The light on the dash that was coming on was the Brake and ABS lights.

Added brake fluid and all is well. So it was not the ignition switch after all.
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Corroding positive terminals is common on this car. I believe it is in the design of the side mounted terminals. Expect to replace battery every few years. Check for corrosion every 6 months.

If you buy a new battery it should be prorated. Save the papers so that when it is time to purchase new battery you are not out the full cost.

If you ever go to start the car and there is nothing, check the battery first. Unhook it and clean it. It may get you started so you can drive to buy a new battery. And yes changing the battery is fun too.

My bad terminal cost me a few hours one morning. Good luck.
    Thanks.

Wonder if the little felt corrosion washer would be worth putting on the battery?
    Driving home from work yesterday my wife said the airbag light came on.

It flashes when you start the car and then remains on after the car is running.

Anything to check this weekend before she takes to dealer on Monday?

2000 Regal GS, 80K miles