Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• when car turns the headlights on for the night (2000 buick regal GSL) I have no dash lights except for the where park & drive area are no lights to see heating controls or radio in the day they are clearly visable (lighted). what needs to be looked at or replaced. also my fuel needle is not working right says its 3/4 full but will be almost empty been keeping track of my milage so I don't run out of gas.
  • I have a 2002 regal and my low beams just stopped working. The bulbs and fuses are good. All my other lights work except my low beams. The car has daytime running lights and those are not working either. Does anybody know how to fix this?
  • Probability is that when that belt blew apart it also damaged the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor, which is mounted along side the crankshaft balancer. Not an easy job for a novice.
  • Could be the daytime running lamp module or your turn signal signal/multi function switch assembly. Not for the novice to diagnose
  • I have the exact same issue (headlights on, but no dash) with a 1997 Regal GS. Please be aware that on my car this also effected the read running lights (not the brake lights). When I pull the "head light knob" out, the dash lights come on and so do the read running lights. Please advise on a solution.
  • I have been having problems with by battery dying during the cold weather. I found that I had a current draw on my battery at all times. I pulled the fuses until I found where the current draw was coming from. Then I narrowed it down to the gauge cluster. I have no idea whether it's the cluster or the wiring harness. Has anyone else had issues with this???
  • exo425exo425 Posts: 15
    Just wanted to know if anyone here has ever changed the alternator on their cars by themselves. If so, how hard is it and what do I need to do. I have a 1991 Regal with the 3.1 engine in it.
  • http://www.napaechlin.com/web_app/TechTips/download%2FNA9824.pdf
    as weel as http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=418 saying: Buick Regal LS Engine dies with turn signals. Took it to the dealer and after a couple days with it, they changed out the ignition switch. I have been driving it for about a year now and have had no problems since.
  • For the past 3 yrs my service engine soon light has been on in my Regal. Everytime I went into the shop I'd have that looked at and it kept coding as the EGR valve. The tech would clean it and it would be ok for 2 miles and them come back on. Over the past two weeks I have been having electrical problems. The dash would fully lightup and then blink. The car would stall at any time, then it wouldn't start, if it did start the engine sputtered. And finally I could start the car but not get it out of park. It finally got towed to the shop and after 4 hours of testing it turned out to be the ignition switch. That was changed out and now the car starts, doesn't stall, lights no longer flash, and lo-and-belhold the service engine light has gone out.
  • Yes there is a reset. What you have to do is turn the ignition switch to the on position and then pess the gass pedal down three times and there will be a light that flashes a few time and then it should be fine. i had the same problem. If it doesnt work with the switch on then turn it in the off position and try it.
  • I have checked the fuse in the passenger panel. All of the dash lights, heater control illumination, radio illumination are out... Dome lights on rear view mirror work intermitantly.. I have replaced headlight switch.

Any help is appreciated.
  • I own a 2000 Buick Regal GSE with 94K miles. I recently noticed that my dashboard lights sometimes come on, and sometimes don't. Sometimes, during the day, if my dashboard lights are on, and I pull out the headlight switch, the dashboard lights go out. Is it as simple as replacing the switch? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    On a 2000 GS, I had various 'idiot' lights turn on an off intermittently when starting the car (whether cold or hot). Took the car to the dealership and after a few hundred dollars worth of diagnostic time, they faulted a bad brake sensor (and replaced the sensor). A few weeks later the same thing occurred. After $200 they replaced an ignition sensor. A month passes and guess what? It's x-mas in July as the dash lights up again.

To make a long story short, I read that a dirty chip embedded in your ignition key can result in many false readings as you start the car. With a soft, dry toothbrush I cleaned the entire key included the chip and it was happy motoring for many miles thereafter w/o the dash lighting up.
  • I have a 2000 Buick Regal that is doing something very strange. I locked the car as normal by using the remote on my key chain. Came back a few hours later and the remote would not work and here is the real mind bender,,,, the key would not unlock the doors or the trunk. I had to call AAA to come out and open it by squezing in through door frame and pulling inside lock with metal rod. Since then after checking all fuses and power (they were all good) and letting it sit a while, the remote works to lock and unlock the car. BUT - the key will still not unlock the doors or trunk. I have 3 sets of keys so I don't think it is key related. I also have 3 remotes. Any ideas? This one really has me stumped. I wonder if there is some kinda anti theft thing that is locking out the key?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • aedaed Posts: 8
    Similar problem in my 2000 LS which was getting progressively worse. It took a while to find out how to remove the headlight switch. (I did plan to replace it and found online prices from $95 to $135.) Before replacing it I decided to see if there was anything obvious that might be done to save a replacement. Only thing I noticed was that one of the many spade terminals had a light brownish coating that I scraped off. The next day my dashlights blinked once and have now been operating perfectly for more than 7 months.
  • garys6garys6 Posts: 1
    I have a 00 Regal and when you turn on the blower fan air come out of the mid vents and floor even when mid is selected.Is there a damper in the system?
  • garnbgarnb Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Buick Regal and have had the same problem. I took the driver's door panel off and took a look inside and found that the remote solenoid with a teflon plunger coming out of the side of it seems to be sticking in the locked position. (plunger out) You can't get it to go back in with the key, or unlock, unless you wiggle it around. My remote works most of the time, but, every now and then it sticks and you cannot get it to unlock, even with the key. Right now my key on the drivers door will not unlock the door ever...but the remote does work most of the time. When the remote stops working, I have to climb over into the driver's seat from the passenger side. And that is a pain considering we have bucket seats with a console in the middle. I think the remote solenoid has to be replaced. I plan on taking a trip to the wrecking yard and pulling one to replace it. I shudder to think what this part would cost at the dealership. The only problem is that everything in that door pannel is riveted in. My brother works for GM and he told me that all they used was rivets...faster and cheaper. So, one would have to drill out the rivets and put screws or bolts back in.

This is all I have...hope it is of some help...

-Garn
  • A 15 amp tail light and instrument panel fuse periodically blows for no apparent reason. Any ideas?
  • I have a 2000 Buick Regal with 104k miles on it that has performed very well for us. However we have been having an intermittent problem with the right front turn signal which seems to have become permanent. I spent a good part of yesterday trouble shooting this issue without success. The flasher blinks rapidly and the front light does not burn but the rear light does. The daytime running light goes out as it is supposed to. It seems to be getting the same voltage to the plug as the left side. I switched the whole socket unit from the right to the left side and the problem remained on the right side. Any ideas? I'm thinking it could either be a fault in the flasher or the controller in the steering column. Thanks for any help! Tommy
  • I have a 2000 Regal LS many miles and had the dash lighting problem you describe. Isolated it to the headlight switch. When I did get it out, found burn marks around pin J gray wire although they aren't marked. Took old switch apart, thought it was burned. Gunk had formed on a contact in the switch causing the problem. Kind of trickey to disassemble be careful of two spring loaded detent parts. I blew it. Might have been salvageable. Obtained new switch from diyautoparts.com for $67. no shipping as compared to $112 from dealer plus tax. Problem fixed. Good luck
  • I have a 2000 Buick Regal LS. About once or twice per day for the last 2-3 weeks, the car will completely shut off while I am driving it. On my way home from work last night it did it in the middle of traffic on the 10. The stereo and what not will stay on, but the meters on the dash go to zero and most of the dashboard lights come on. What should I do?
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I'd get it looked at asap. By the time you get a knowledgeable answer in this discussion, it may be to late.
  • teddyeddyteddyeddy Posts: 1
    I recently picked up a 1999 Regal LS with just over 104,000 miles. Took the keyless remote to the local Buick dealer in town, as it works on the doors and emergency button, but won't open the trunk (trunk opens fine with key). Testing reveals that the remote is indeed sending a signal. Before bringing the car in, any clues where to look? Also, in the past week, the passenger rear window won't open with the switch on the door itself or the driver's control. Again, any clues? By the way, the door has never been damaged.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Thump the passenger rear window area near the switch a couple times with your knuckles. As scientific as that sounds, it worked on my 1999 Regal LS with 77,000 miles. I'd also flange out the window grooves so the window can operate smoother.
  • lkohnlkohn Posts: 13
    Here is your too late, knowledgeable answer - ignition switch. I had all sorts of strange problems on my '99 GS; engine shut down when put blinker on, airbag light that would not shut off, other dash lights not shutting off and finally the car would not start. On my mechanics recommendation I had a Buick dealership do the replacement work. Since the replacement, I have not had any problems.
  • koolwat3rkoolwat3r Posts: 3
    Thanks. That is exactly what it turned out to be. I went out to run errands not long after I posted the original message, and the car wouldn't start at all. I ended up having it towed to a chevrolet dealership who replaced the switch and haven't had any problems since then. Anyone with a similar problem, I recommend having it fixed as soon as possible.
  • rd2drd2d Posts: 1
    I recently changed the driver side power window regulator and motor. Now my power locks will not lock by switches or remote. They will unlock onthe remote all four doors.
    there is no attempt to lock on any switch or the remote. Do you have any suggestion.
  • tomy2tomy2 Posts: 7
    My odometer, transmission setting display along with the speedometer doesn't work. The odometer display is lit but it doesn't change or display the correct mileage. Same is true for transmission display- doesn't change always set on "D". I've replaced the cluster panel with a re-built one but same issue. Any suggestions?
  • tomy2tomy2 Posts: 7
    Yea, replacing the ignition switch eliminated same problem I had - which was when I used my turn signal (left or right), the engine would completely turn off by itself.
  • azll3azll3 Posts: 1
    does any one know if the 1994 buick regal's have a key with the computer chips or is it just a regular key. thanks