Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• not a switch at all. it was the alternator. as soon as it was replaced my car was like new again :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Sorry I was just making a joke "Switch Doctor" / Witch Doctor.

Not so funny I guess..... :cry:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Have a 98 Regal that the battery went dead on and after putting a new battery the
    odometer went from 97,000 to 388,000 .
    And now it does not change at all.
    Is there a cheap fix?
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    IHave a 98 Regal that the battery went dead on and after putting a new battery the odometer went from 97,000 to 388,000 .
    And now it does not change at all.
    Is there a cheap fix?

You sure you weren't abducted by aliens... and blacked out during the drive to Mars?
  • Ok here is what happened..
    If you take the screw out from the dash panel (mine is grey) on the right hand side of the car (where you put the fuses) And some models have a screw on the left...You can pop the plastic retaining dash cover off...Don't be afraid to yank a little ITS NOT GOING TO BREAK!!!! Then you will need a 7mm socket and a rachet to taKE OUT the 4 bolts holding the odometer cluster in the dash...
    Then send it in to a company and explain its the digital screen..Chances are depending where you are from this could cost 300$ so I send mine to a compnay u can locate on the internet in Florida...He told me on the phone exact costs and I fixed one for approx 140$ through him...

Also I dont recomend driving without the cluster due to damage that can be caused to airbag and other components...

Or you can go to a junk yard try to get lucky and find a cluster with around the same miledge... By law it is illegal to tamper with the odometer readings..But in this case I believe it is legal... I had 144,000 on my 1998 buick regal and I got one out of a junkyard instead of sending it out..The junkyard one said 188,000 but I didnt care because I like seeing my miles...See its not like they are going to come for me because I put more miles on my car...LOL

Also if u lose you brake lights which is notorious to happen it is the turn signal switch...You can change it without having to take off the steering wheel...I know I have done it....

Also flush you coolant frequently....Dexcool will errode away the intake gaskets on the car...

If the key ever gets stuck in the ignition they put a button under the steering wheel u can push...U have to take off the round pplastic circle looks like a pennie size...Inside there is a release button...

Also at about 144,000 miles the power steering pump hose will go bad...GUranteed gm mess up...Easy fix if u have a few hours and patience...

I built a 98 buick regal ls from the ground up...There is nothing I dont know about this car.....If u keep the car...keep this message....my advice will :mad: suit u well.
  • beth1303beth1303 Posts: 1
    For the last 3 days my 99 Regal turn signals have been acting up. If you turn the left one on the ABS, service vehicle soon, and Trac off light come on. If you turn on the right turn signal ALL lights come on and car dies. If you do not touch any turn signals at all then, no lights will come on. When you turn the car off and back on all lights go away. I have been looking around and saw that it COULD be the ignition switch. Is this right?
  • daboo54daboo54 Posts: 1
    This 1999 Regal has the 3.8 liter engine. It has started stalling without any warning. Engine can be warm or cold. Can be giving gas or stepping on brake. When engine stops all other electrical things (lights, radio, etc) are still on. No fault codes show up and check engine light does not come on. Can start the car right up and it runs fine and usually won't stall out again.

As you can tell there is no way to predict when this will happen or any way to make it occur. Anyone know what is wrong???
  • yarnallyarnall Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Regal with 100K and the dashboard lights going on for no reason: Brake lights, ABS, Check engine. Dealer found loose connection to battery's positive terminal. Cleaned, rethreaded. $250. Got home. Airbag light goes on and off while driving. Day passes. Turn signal lights don't go on. Back to dealer. Dealer says turn signal switch is gone. Is this hard to change on our own? :cry:
  • no it is not and htis can be accomplished without having to take off the airbag ect....I have done it and so can you...if you reply ill give u instructions
  • yarnallyarnall Posts: 2
    OK. Yes please provide directions. Thanks. Also, we have now found that the brake lights aren't working either. Different problem? :lemon:
  • fontaj28fontaj28 Posts: 1
    Gary,
    I just recently purchased a '01 Regal LS. I live in wisconsin (Milwaukee), and it recently has started to become warm outside. I had been having the same problems as you were. The first thing I did was I pulled out the spring from the Gearshift button. I noticed a lot of gunk built up in there, and once I cleaned that it started working. This worked for about 100 starts. The problem flared back up again... this time I went much more in-depth. I actually took off the "wood" around the gear-shift, and then started digging through the center console until I removed that completely. Once I could see completely around the gearshift assembly, I took off the cover that has the PRND32L on it. Underneath, I watched as I pushed in and out the gearshift button to see what part was not moving. Found out there was a lever towards the corner by the glove box that had soda spilled on it that was making it stick. Once I sprayed it with WD-40, the lever started to move. It has been around 1000 starts since then and I have had no problems whatsoever.

I hope this helps.

Joe
  • SAME PROBLEM !!!!!!!
    100% guarenteed...

Ok here is the procedure..
    You take the screws out of the plastic cover around the steering wheel..!!
    On my regal I took a dremel took and cut around the lock cylendor so I didnt have to remove it...
    Then you will see the exposed turn signal switch...There is a star screw on top and in the front holding it on...BUY A STAR TOOL SET that has the right angle on them...U can use them to get in to the screw on the front and use a normal star tool for the top.. AF^TER YOU REMOVE these two screws you will notice the turn signal switch comes right off....Then down at the wire connnection (where the turn signal switch/ignition switch plugs in to the cars wires..) You unscrew the 7mm bolt in the center...Then with a flat head screw driver you carefully remove the turn signal switch wiring...(VERY EASY TO DO)
    Go to the junkyard and get the switch for 25$ and change it out repeat the steps and put back together...
    HOPE THIS HELPS IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I had shops tell my tranny was bad and it was a vaccuum problem I found/alot of issues I found out and saved alot of money ...ANY QUESTIONS just ask..I rebuilt this car from the ground up...THERE IS NOTHING I DONT KNOW!!!!!!! :cry:
  • SAME PROBLEM !!!!!!!
    100% guarenteed...

Ok here is the procedure..
    You take the screws out of the plastic cover around the steering wheel..!!
    On my regal I took a dremel took and cut around the lock cylendor so I didnt have to remove it...
    Then you will see the exposed turn signal switch...There is a star screw on top and in the front holding it on...BUY A STAR TOOL SET that has the right angle on them...U can use them to get in to the screw on the front and use a normal star tool for the top.. AF^TER YOU REMOVE these two screws you will notice the turn signal switch comes right off....Then down at the wire connnection (where the turn signal switch/ignition switch plugs in to the cars wires..) You unscrew the 7mm bolt in the center...Then with a flat head screw driver you carefully remove the turn signal switch wiring...(VERY EASY TO DO)
    Go to the junkyard and get the switch for 25$ and change it out repeat the steps and put back together...
    HOPE THIS HELPS IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I had shops tell my tranny was bad and it was a vaccuum problem I found/alot of issues I found out and saved alot of money ...ANY QUESTIONS just ask..I rebuilt this car from the ground up...THERE IS NOTHING I DONT KNOW :mad:
  • HORRIBLE ADVISE IT IS THE IGNITION SWITCH get lucky at the junkyard for 25$ and find one with a key or new...EITHER way the problem is in the switch...GLAD GUYS LIKE U DONT WORK AT REAL SHOPS!!!!! :cry:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I had the exact thing happened to my 99 Buick. It was a weak battery... not the ignition switch. You have to look at all possiblities, can't blame everything on a faulty ignition switch. :surprise:
  • After an accident on my right front, the odometer of my 97 Buick Regal GS is always 388607, and my radio is not on any more. The dealer does not know how to fix the problem and they just replace the key cylinder and switch.
  • regal99regal99 Posts: 4
    I have A 99 buick regal . and i need sum help..if i use the turn signal.the car shuts off...since then i've stop using the turn signal..now the car shuts off without any notice..I was told i need to replace the steering wheel. so i went an bought one from the junk yard..also anotha issue..the air bag is already out of it. But the air bag in my old steeing wheel is intact..if i take the airbag out of the old one and place it in the one i bought at the junkyard..do you think once its connected..will it send a signal that its been in an accident and expell the the i replaced??? :confuse:
  • bfoubertbfoubert Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Buick Regal GS, The lights work fine but whenever i shut the car off the brights just dim down. I was told by the previous owner that they're suppose to shut off after 30 seconds but i've sat and watched them stay on for almost 15 minutes before i pulled the fuses. any ideas whats going on?
  • pharma1pharma1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Regal LS. The problem I have 5 fan control settings (Fan speed) not counting the "OFF". When I'm using the "Air" or "Heater" nothing works from "Low" to 4th level the only one that works is "Hi". Understand that both air and heat works but when I turn the knob I get nothing until I turn it to "Hi". Is this easy to fix myself and how do I do it?
  • maj1952maj1952 Posts: 4
    Have a 3.8 engine and would like to know if you can test the fuel relay?
    If so how, dont want to buy one if I dont have to. If Its good will have to
    put in fuel pump I asume.
  • jcurran44jcurran44 Posts: 1
    I have found many people on here that are having issues with the electrical system. My issues started with the dash lights going out. Then the ABS light came on, then the traction control light, and soon after the service engine soon light.
    At that point we parked the car and have been trying to tackle the issues for the past year. The issue grew into a more serious situation when the turn signal started to kill the engine.
    Then we started to hear a loud electrical growl from under the dash. The noise was coming from a white control box/circuit board mounted to the drivers side foot well. Not sure what it does, but may need to replace. Along with the noise, the dash goes haywire, flipping from imperial to metric units and gauges going back and fourth.
    From what I have read on here the problem may be the Ignition switch. One more question I have is about a chip mounted under the dash, does anyone else have this. It looks like a non-factory modification. The chip is spliced into the main wire harness. A thick yellow wire and some others. What may this be?
    I need to sell the car for $$ on another project, but would like to address as many issues as I can before selling. I also can't seam to keep air in the tires due to the chrome plating flaking off of the rims and not allowing the tire to seal.

GREAT CAR, but some issues after 100k miles (I have 186k)
    :sick:
  • Is it not funny 1 part causes all that trouble...IT is the turn signal switch......

I have seen damage to the ignition too but you seem to be diagnoising the turn signal switch issue....If you want I can give you step by step instructions...Get the old one out of a junk yard and bam for 25$ you will be fixed
  • scotty801scotty801 Posts: 5
    Any idea where you can get these resistors? I have the same problem. I removed cluster and the resistors are overheated and coming loose from the board.
  • joe862joe862 Posts: 4
    I just got this 1996 regal 6 cylinder. When you idle the fans wont turn on. I bypassed the control switches and can get them on. My question is, is the coolant level sensor the same as the heat sensor that tells the control units to send power to the fans?
  • hello,
    I was wondering, have you ever figured out what's wrong? I have the same problem with my 99 buick regal.
  • regal99regal99 Posts: 4
    Actually i"ve been told i need to replace the turnsignal>>>>it controlsa so much stuff....i'll keep u posted..my brother plans to start on it friday...
  • washbratwashbrat Posts: 1
    I have recently aquired a 1990 buick regal 6 cyl with electric seats and windows. I don't know what if anything has ever been done to this car. There were a few times I would take off and before I got 2/10ths of a mile and slowed down for the stop light the car died, the electrical completely shut down, but the engine still accelerated and in a few seconds all the electrical would be back to normal. sometimes I was low on gas but one time I had almost a full tank. My son borrowed it and was driving home when the the car just died going down the freeway, He was out of gas. But the car refused to turn over or make any sound at all for about an hour, then it would turn over. (but of course he was out of gas so it wouldn't run for long very well.) Is it common for this car to do something like this. Is there a connection between low gas and the electrical where the electrical will reset itself after a time?
  • all other gages work, but where it shows the miles on the car, is not lit up,(digital odotometer) can not read how many miles are on car, i put a junk yard one in and it does the same thing,and also the fuel guage is goofy too. anyone have any idea what is wrong??thanks
  • vanhatalovanhatalo Posts: 1
    When the engine temperature meter don't work the car don't start and if started the gearbox is jammed on #3. If the temperature meter works, everything is OK. The temp sensor is changed, but it didn't change the problem. Where's the problem?
  • when the key is in the run position, it shows how much gas i have, when the car is moving it goes to full tank, is this a ground to sending unit problem or whole sending unit or something else?