Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Key Fob Questions

Comments

• mymittiesmymitties Posts: 242
    Many Thanks Ron and Axle for getting back to me on this...
    Wow, I must say , I certainly am impressed at this point with this distance..!! :blush: Obviously, I do have the Remote start (good point Ron), and to get 175 feet of the 197 feet now is pretty awesome. I don't want to seem alittle cocky here, but, I think if it wasn't for that darn wall that I was parkred against, I could of probaly got the remaining 22 feet !! So, We will see.. Well, we (Toronto) just got hit with some significant snow today (thought we were all finihed with this stuff), and I will have to wait for a clear day and and clear shopping Mall parking lot.
    I'll keep you posted....

Thanks again
    Frank ;)
  • Mornin, Frank, everyone,
    Yeah, here in Jersey we got about 8 inches last nite...My Impala is snuggled in the garage and will stay there for a few days!! Guess I'll use my wifes Honda today, dirty her car up!! ;) I'm glad you guys are zeroing in on the key-fob problem...just in case I get that dreaded, "key-Fob Virus'!!.............we'll talk later......bryan
  • spoolerspooler Posts: 15
    Hi Frank!

Thanks for your thoughts! Your parking lot testing you are doing has me thinking. If you can, would it be possible for you to range test in front of a big box store such as a WAL-MART, and then test say in an fairly empty large lot such as an office complex etc.? Here's my theory on some of this. I work with RF systems for a living, and since I believe these RKE systems operate in the 320 MHz band, I'm wondering how much RF generated interference (or noise being picked up by the RCDLR) that is being generated by all the DATA IT and RF price/inventory tagging technology in those stores. My theory is (and it's only that!) that the RCDLR may be picking up so much RF garbage being generated by external sources like the stores' IT systems, it may not be able to "hear" the RKE until it is closer to the Impala. Of course as we know a bad antenna, low power fobs, or sensitivty problems with the RCDLR will cause the same things. At work, I have access to a poratble RF spectrum analyzer, which measures power levels of RF emissions at a given frequency. When I get some time I plan on doing some measuring at known places where my Impala gets very low RKE range, such as in front of "big box retailers" and look to see if unwanted "interference" is part of the problem. Could be that the new RCDLR has better filtering to help block out all the RF crud. Or maybe the new TIS firmware they are suggesting in the TSB can re-program the filtering of the receiver. At any rate, I hope my Impala loving brothers and sisters don't slam me too hard for sharing these thoughts. These posts are a great community! I'll keep you posted!
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    I am a bit confused on what Spooler just said but it makes sense. When I am parked under lights at work or if I am at a Walmart or similiar parking area my remote doesn't seem to work as well, so maybe it is all that crud out there that interferes with the receiver. I tested it out on the street where I parked last night from some distance away, maybe 100 ft or more and it did work fine. What ever happened to just walking up to the car and putting the key in the lock and opening it up. MEN and their remote this remote that....ha ha
  • Hey!!..Axle, be careful, I'm a guy who doesn't need any remotes at all!!!...Actually, this week I'm taking the door panels off my car (all of them )and leaving them off , who needs them? This way I can change speakers when I want, oil the window tracks at will, etc!! And I'm tired of the stupid radio in my car, the sound is terrible, that's coming out on Tuesday...I have an old Jeep radio that I'm throwing in there( it's been hanging around my garage for years) I could care less what my car looks like or what anybody here in this forum thinks...I'll have a "one-of-a-kind car"! You guys in here can keep your key-fobs, heated seats,XM radio etc...I'm turning my '06 into a street rod!!..it won't even look like an Impala when I get done!!.......I'm tired of the same old boring new cars year in , year out!!...I'm super-charging it this week too...probably bring it up to around 500-600 horse-power!! You guys and gals in here can keep your stinkin new cars with the stinkin new smell, and stinkin new this and that....anybody know where I can get air scoop for my hood?....you guys are boring me too death!!!! :cry:..and don't think for a minute Ron and Frank and others in here that I need your advice on doing this stuff....I'm very capable of doing it myself......I have the internet.....you guys are obsolete!!
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Damn, Bryan, tell us how you REALLY feel. ;)
    My theory is (and it's only that!) that the RCDLR may be picking up so much RF garbage

Spooler,
    I had a similar theory (although I don't have any RF training). My cars (my '06 and '02 Monte Carlo) have had range problems whenever on the air force base or my new job on the navy base. Of course, we have LOTS of RF garbage in our airwaves. I think you're onto something and have the tools to prove it. What's your car's current status? Have you had any of the RKE equipment replaced? I'm all factory fresh in that dept...all I've had so far is a reprogram of the original "junk." Keep us posted and document what you find. You can enlighten us and more importantly, your service manager. Maybe even pass it along to GM. You would think they have some big brains that would've thought about these things but it's apparent they haven't.

Later,
    Ron
    MEN and their remote this remote that....ha ha

Hey now...careful. I like the remote because I don't have to worry about scratching my door or trunklid while fumbling with a sharp metal object. I had gotten pretty good at using my fingers as a guide but that left finger prints and smears.

Now, if only I had a way of keeping my friends from dragging their rings while opening the doors, I'd be all set. Anyone else have scratches in and around their door handles? Maybe GM should start using the rubberized paint that some cars have on the bottoms of their doors to protect the door handle area.

Have a great Saturday, all,
    Ron
  • Thanks for all your help, Ron......yeah, my wifes rings are always a culprit when she opens a door...take care........bryan
  • spoolerspooler Posts: 15
    Hi Ron!
    I have all the original RKE equipment in mine yet. I talked to my Service manger about my range problems, and he thought my SS had all the newer stuff. But i don't think so! So when I'm able (I have some medical problems right now) I'm going to try to do some experimenting with a spectrum analyzer. First I'm going to verify the frequency that the RKE fob transmits at. It should be at about 320 MHz. Then with the spectrum analyzer, I'll measure the relative power level that the spectrum analyzer sees the fob at distances say of 20' 50' 100' and then 195'. The 195' measurement would be the sensitivity bench mark of the test. With that information I'll head to some shopping centers and bigbox store lots and drive thru looking for RF interference on or near the same frequency as the fobs, and if I see interference, I could measure the relative power level, and that would tell us how much of the signal of the fobs are lost in the undesired RF noise present in the area.
    You know Ron, also I'm thinking that the RCDLR antenna in the windsheild is probably very directional. Since RF at that frequency would be very sensitive to the relative position of the vehicle. So I'm betting the range (with my stock windshield antenna) would be much better to the front, somewhat less from the back, and totally bad from the sides. And I think I have noticed that the range seems very bad from the sides! The new coaxial antennas are probably more omni-directional. As soon as I'm better, I'm going to look into this! I'll keep you posted! :D
    Hey spooler..

Sure will !!...Just need to wait a bit for our Spring thaw here.. Gee, I almost forget what flowers look like. :blush:

I'll let you know..

Thanks
    Frank ;)
    Whewwwwwwww......!!
    Hey, now this is the Bryan I know.. :) I Was a little worried there for a minute.....
    Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about here.. Do you remember that Tv/radio commercial sometime back where the guy says ... " I liked the product sooooo much, that I went out and bought the company ". Well, I can be an 'ole fart (OH,OH!!!) when it comes to my car in some areas, like nail and ring scratces, makeup marks, etc.. Hey, I love my wife..but........!!
    Soooooo, I didn't like all this stuff so much, that I went out and bought her - her own car..!!
    Guess what... It worked.....!!!!!!!

Ok, ok, just a little humour here, but true story...
    (Ya, I know it's a little..!!) :sick:

Talk to ya'll soon,
    Frank ;)
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Posts: 133
    A little late getting in on this string, but I see scratches around my door openings and a chip out of the rear door handle, but I'm not sure it's rings. The scratches are around the bottom of the handle area more than the top where a ring would scratch. Just thought it was part of the poor paint job with all the other chips I have.

I've also noticed light scratches on the rear bumper and think it might be where my clothes rub on it when I put heavier items in the trunk. I'm only 5-2 and with the trunk opening as tall as it is, it is not easy even putting suit cases in and out.
    Hi wbowl99

It's Probably not ring marks in this case..
    My best guess would be (finger) nail marks in the paint.
    If not right to the metal, a light rubbing compound will take them right out. Give it a try.....!!

Later.....
    Frank ;)
    Rubbing compound on clear coat? :sick: :mad: :cry: No way! I say McGuire's Scratch Out. It will fill in the scratches (although not permanently) rather than "sanding" down the clear coat to match the scratches (leaving swirlies as it goes). Frank...what are ya thinkin?!?! :)
  • Make your wife/partner cut their nails!!.....whats more important her nails or your car!!...Actually I love mcguiers products, but I'd just use a little cleaner/wax on there first.........but then again if they had chrome finger nail guards under the handles like they did in the 50's , you wouldn't have any scratches at all!!....and rain gutters to stop the rain from coming in....and mirrors on the fenders...dual antennas.... :) .. sorry went to far..... :blush:
    Hi Ron,

Technically, you are absolutely correct here my friend...there is no question at all !!!.
    In my zest/quest to be helpfull, I was trying to make a simple point that it just might not be all that difficult to correct. Just some minor rubbing/buffing for nail marks. And, not thinking, I came out with " try a little light rubbing compound" as an an example. OH, MY !!!, For sure this is WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG ! I should have said a little light paint compound of some kind or a brand of scratch-out that is Clear Coat friendly and compatable.
    I certainly know better ...
    Thanks Ron
    Frank ;)
    Sorry guys, can ask my wife to cut nails ... don't have one, never will. I'm a straight female. LOL I wish it was long fingernails causing the problem, but I've never been able to grow my nails long.

The dealer suggested that the scratches could be buffed out, too. Glad for the tips on McGuires. The paint is already getting a sort of swirled look to it in places. Not sure why, maybe strong wind?
    Hi wbowl99

You know, my experience is that your nails need not be all that long for them to leave those nasty marks in the paint. Especially around the door handles.
    Ok then.. you can blame your boy friend....
    Briefly, swirl marks in your paint can be caused by many things...for example those brushes at the car wash (Use touchless),or the type of clothes used, or how it's washed and/or dried by hand for examples. My Black is absolutely beautifull, but it can be a big challange.

Keep us posted....
    Frank ;)
    Thanks, Frank. No boyfriend at present ;) :) but I'll keep that in mind for the future.
    I have used touchless all but once when I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and mistakenly paid for it before I realized it wasn't brushless. Won't ever do that again.
    Wanda
    Good mornin' all..

Yes... I know, I know...we are all just a little bit tired of this one at this point in time . But briefly, I did want to give you a quick report after my fix, for those of you that are interested and/or are still going through it.... Surprisingly, it's day 20 now and everything is still working great and as it should!! After my successful front-end shot of 175 feet the other day, this morning I decided that it's time to try a side shot to my car. This was from my office door to a chain link fence where it was safely parked. I don't mind telling you, I was a little nervous with this one. The result ...WOW !! I measured off 193 1/2 feet..!!! Hey, while I'm somewhat surprised I'm really, really happy here...I HAVE WAITED 5 MONTHS FOR THIS..!!!!
    Can hardly wait for the day when all the snow is gone and I can play around in an empty Shopping Mall parking lot.

That's all for now....
    Frank ;)
    Frank,
    Thanks for the update. Personally, I'm happy to hear your reports because I want to know it works before I miss work to have this fixed a second time.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Well Ron, and all..... DRATS..!!

While better than it was 28 days ago, this is not an overly great report..... :sick:
    Finally, the snow is all gone now and it's starting to get warmer . So impatient me, decided this was the perfect time and opportunity to go over to the local Shopping Mall and give it the 'ole fashioned try.. Remember my fairly good head-on shot of 175 feet just a couple of weeks ago. Well, this suddenly went down to 129 1/2 feet. And, remember, my big side shot of 197 1/2 feet..?? It's suddenly down to 153 1/2 feet now.!!
    Ya, I know, while much, much better than the 15-20 feet I was getting when it worked at all, this is a little disappointing. OH well...!!
    For your info, this was done at your typical vey large Shopping Mall parking lot early yesterday morning at around 7:30 am with absolutely nothing (no Cars) around....

Upward and Onward ....
    Frank ;)
  • I never use my key fob more than 40-50 ft...however the other day I used my wifes Accord at a Home depot here....parked that car way out in left field so no moron would bang doors against it....came out hit the button....whamm!!....the lights came on doors opened, etc....now I'm not a slow walker, but, by the time I got to the car, the doors locked again, had to do it again :mad: ...Question...does the Impala do this also...relock after a few seconds?..if so, whats the big deal about the key fob working at 300 ft away, when you have to run like hell to get there before it relocks? :confuse: ....talk later..........bryan............maybe this is just [non-permissible content removed] crap thing?
    Hey Bryan..

Very interesting and good point...Don't know..!!
    It will be interesting to see..
    Frank ;)
    Bryan,
    In the case of your Accord, I'm sure it's just a safety/security thing to make sure you didn't accidentally unlock the door (as I sometimes do by carrying the FOB in my pockets) or unlocked the door and then changed your mind. With the Impala, the long range is primarily for starting the vehicle and that requires you to lock the doors first. Assuming you don't develop a habit of immediately unlocking the door after starting the engine, your door would be locked when you get to the car. I don't think the Impala re-locks the doors, though. I'll try to remember to test it.
    It's funny that you call it a "[non-permissible content removed]" thing (culturally insensitive, by the way) because that's how I always felt about the way Japanese brands used to force you to hold the door handle up to lock the door...supposedly to keep you from locking your keys in the car. I think that worked for the first day or two until peoples' brains were reprogrammed to hold door handles up. Then, they started holding the door handles up on my American cars. Used to really tick me off! :mad:

Later,
    Ron
    Well...after months and months of reading about all the rest of you guys fighting with the FOB range AND the tire pressure sensor, now I have that problem as well. Just to confirm, with the rest of you, did it just give you the "SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR" when you started the car? After you acknowledged it with the check mark button, did it go away and stay away until you restarted the car? That's how mine is acting so far. I guess that is my sign to stop delaying and just get the work done. Thanks to all of you, I'm going in better armed and will hopefully get it done right this SECOND time. :)

Frank,
    Just for control purposes, you should try duplicating your results from the same location where you got those maximum ranges the first time (I think you were at work, right?). Also, if you have only been using one FOB daily, the other may have a fresher battery so take it along and see if maybe it gives you better range. I'm willing to accept that a fresh battery gives that max range and then drops off to a respectable (and hopefully stable) range after the battery loses some charge.

Just a thought...
    Ron ;)
    Hi Ron, thanks for the fob insight...

And...It's YES!, yes!, yes!...exactly ..You've got the full bug now.!!

Good luck with your fix!!
    Frank ;)
  • Maybe I should sell my Impala before the Key-fob, tire monitoring,paint-peeling,heater-clicking stuff starts......anyone want a '06 SS?....starting @ $18,000.....900 miles.........bryan
    Bryan,
    I think there's a guy in Canada that would love a cheap SS...right, Frank? ;)

Ron