Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Key Fob Questions

Comments

• mymittiesmymitties Posts: 242
    Hey spooler..

Sure will !!...Just need to wait a bit for our Spring thaw here.. Gee, I almost forget what flowers look like. :blush:

I'll let you know..

Thanks
    Frank ;)
    Whewwwwwwww......!!
    Hey, now this is the Bryan I know.. :) I Was a little worried there for a minute.....
    Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about here.. Do you remember that Tv/radio commercial sometime back where the guy says ... " I liked the product sooooo much, that I went out and bought the company ". Well, I can be an 'ole fart (OH,OH!!!) when it comes to my car in some areas, like nail and ring scratces, makeup marks, etc.. Hey, I love my wife..but........!!
    Soooooo, I didn't like all this stuff so much, that I went out and bought her - her own car..!!
    Guess what... It worked.....!!!!!!!

Ok, ok, just a little humour here, but true story...
    (Ya, I know it's a little..!!) :sick:

Talk to ya'll soon,
    Frank ;)
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Posts: 133
    A little late getting in on this string, but I see scratches around my door openings and a chip out of the rear door handle, but I'm not sure it's rings. The scratches are around the bottom of the handle area more than the top where a ring would scratch. Just thought it was part of the poor paint job with all the other chips I have.

I've also noticed light scratches on the rear bumper and think it might be where my clothes rub on it when I put heavier items in the trunk. I'm only 5-2 and with the trunk opening as tall as it is, it is not easy even putting suit cases in and out.
    Hi wbowl99

It's Probably not ring marks in this case..
    My best guess would be (finger) nail marks in the paint.
    If not right to the metal, a light rubbing compound will take them right out. Give it a try.....!!

Later.....
    Frank ;)
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Rubbing compound on clear coat? :sick: :mad: :cry: No way! I say McGuire's Scratch Out. It will fill in the scratches (although not permanently) rather than "sanding" down the clear coat to match the scratches (leaving swirlies as it goes). Frank...what are ya thinkin?!?! :)
  • Make your wife/partner cut their nails!!.....whats more important her nails or your car!!...Actually I love mcguiers products, but I'd just use a little cleaner/wax on there first.........but then again if they had chrome finger nail guards under the handles like they did in the 50's , you wouldn't have any scratches at all!!....and rain gutters to stop the rain from coming in....and mirrors on the fenders...dual antennas.... :) .. sorry went to far..... :blush:
    Hi Ron,

Technically, you are absolutely correct here my friend...there is no question at all !!!.
    In my zest/quest to be helpfull, I was trying to make a simple point that it just might not be all that difficult to correct. Just some minor rubbing/buffing for nail marks. And, not thinking, I came out with " try a little light rubbing compound" as an an example. OH, MY !!!, For sure this is WRONG ! WRONG ! WRONG ! I should have said a little light paint compound of some kind or a brand of scratch-out that is Clear Coat friendly and compatable.
    I certainly know better ...
    Thanks Ron
    Frank ;)
    Sorry guys, can ask my wife to cut nails ... don't have one, never will. I'm a straight female. LOL I wish it was long fingernails causing the problem, but I've never been able to grow my nails long.

The dealer suggested that the scratches could be buffed out, too. Glad for the tips on McGuires. The paint is already getting a sort of swirled look to it in places. Not sure why, maybe strong wind?
    Hi wbowl99

You know, my experience is that your nails need not be all that long for them to leave those nasty marks in the paint. Especially around the door handles.
    Ok then.. you can blame your boy friend....
    Briefly, swirl marks in your paint can be caused by many things...for example those brushes at the car wash (Use touchless),or the type of clothes used, or how it's washed and/or dried by hand for examples. My Black is absolutely beautifull, but it can be a big challange.

Keep us posted....
    Frank ;)
    Thanks, Frank. No boyfriend at present ;) :) but I'll keep that in mind for the future.
    I have used touchless all but once when I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and mistakenly paid for it before I realized it wasn't brushless. Won't ever do that again.
    Wanda
    Good mornin' all..

Yes... I know, I know...we are all just a little bit tired of this one at this point in time . But briefly, I did want to give you a quick report after my fix, for those of you that are interested and/or are still going through it.... Surprisingly, it's day 20 now and everything is still working great and as it should!! After my successful front-end shot of 175 feet the other day, this morning I decided that it's time to try a side shot to my car. This was from my office door to a chain link fence where it was safely parked. I don't mind telling you, I was a little nervous with this one. The result ...WOW !! I measured off 193 1/2 feet..!!! Hey, while I'm somewhat surprised I'm really, really happy here...I HAVE WAITED 5 MONTHS FOR THIS..!!!!
    Can hardly wait for the day when all the snow is gone and I can play around in an empty Shopping Mall parking lot.

That's all for now....
    Frank ;)
    Frank,
    Thanks for the update. Personally, I'm happy to hear your reports because I want to know it works before I miss work to have this fixed a second time.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Well Ron, and all..... DRATS..!!

While better than it was 28 days ago, this is not an overly great report..... :sick:
    Finally, the snow is all gone now and it's starting to get warmer . So impatient me, decided this was the perfect time and opportunity to go over to the local Shopping Mall and give it the 'ole fashioned try.. Remember my fairly good head-on shot of 175 feet just a couple of weeks ago. Well, this suddenly went down to 129 1/2 feet. And, remember, my big side shot of 197 1/2 feet..?? It's suddenly down to 153 1/2 feet now.!!
    Ya, I know, while much, much better than the 15-20 feet I was getting when it worked at all, this is a little disappointing. OH well...!!
    For your info, this was done at your typical vey large Shopping Mall parking lot early yesterday morning at around 7:30 am with absolutely nothing (no Cars) around....

Upward and Onward ....
    Frank ;)
  • I never use my key fob more than 40-50 ft...however the other day I used my wifes Accord at a Home depot here....parked that car way out in left field so no moron would bang doors against it....came out hit the button....whamm!!....the lights came on doors opened, etc....now I'm not a slow walker, but, by the time I got to the car, the doors locked again, had to do it again :mad: ...Question...does the Impala do this also...relock after a few seconds?..if so, whats the big deal about the key fob working at 300 ft away, when you have to run like hell to get there before it relocks? :confuse: ....talk later..........bryan............maybe this is just [non-permissible content removed] crap thing?
    Hey Bryan..

Very interesting and good point...Don't know..!!
    It will be interesting to see..
    Frank ;)
    Bryan,
    In the case of your Accord, I'm sure it's just a safety/security thing to make sure you didn't accidentally unlock the door (as I sometimes do by carrying the FOB in my pockets) or unlocked the door and then changed your mind. With the Impala, the long range is primarily for starting the vehicle and that requires you to lock the doors first. Assuming you don't develop a habit of immediately unlocking the door after starting the engine, your door would be locked when you get to the car. I don't think the Impala re-locks the doors, though. I'll try to remember to test it.
    It's funny that you call it a "[non-permissible content removed]" thing (culturally insensitive, by the way) because that's how I always felt about the way Japanese brands used to force you to hold the door handle up to lock the door...supposedly to keep you from locking your keys in the car. I think that worked for the first day or two until peoples' brains were reprogrammed to hold door handles up. Then, they started holding the door handles up on my American cars. Used to really tick me off! :mad:

Later,
    Ron
    Well...after months and months of reading about all the rest of you guys fighting with the FOB range AND the tire pressure sensor, now I have that problem as well. Just to confirm, with the rest of you, did it just give you the "SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR" when you started the car? After you acknowledged it with the check mark button, did it go away and stay away until you restarted the car? That's how mine is acting so far. I guess that is my sign to stop delaying and just get the work done. Thanks to all of you, I'm going in better armed and will hopefully get it done right this SECOND time. :)

Frank,
    Just for control purposes, you should try duplicating your results from the same location where you got those maximum ranges the first time (I think you were at work, right?). Also, if you have only been using one FOB daily, the other may have a fresher battery so take it along and see if maybe it gives you better range. I'm willing to accept that a fresh battery gives that max range and then drops off to a respectable (and hopefully stable) range after the battery loses some charge.

Just a thought...
    Ron ;)
    Hi Ron, thanks for the fob insight...

And...It's YES!, yes!, yes!...exactly ..You've got the full bug now.!!

Good luck with your fix!!
    Frank ;)
  • Maybe I should sell my Impala before the Key-fob, tire monitoring,paint-peeling,heater-clicking stuff starts......anyone want a '06 SS?....starting @ $18,000.....900 miles.........bryan
    Bryan,
    I think there's a guy in Canada that would love a cheap SS...right, Frank? ;)

Ron