Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Coupe (2002 and earlier)

Comments

• Anyone have any info on the maintenance costs for for a 9-3?
  • mfarmer2mfarmer2 Posts: 67
    I know that www.intellichoice.com offers detailed information on vehicle maintenance costs. It's more likely that you'll find that information in their used vehicle instead of the new ones, since they usually don't have enough data for new ones. If they don't have it for the 2001's, try looking at the 99 Saab 9-3's or earlier. That might give you a good idea for the newer ones. Hope this is helpful.

Mary
  • bg750bg750 Posts: 4
    I was going to purchase the Saab I described in message 24 and 26. But my sales person Mercedes in Ann Arbor after calling her numerous times all of a sudden told me she could not get me the car. She seemed to give the impression that it was no problem. She even said that she called and left message. Message never received, she basically wasted my time. Would not reccomend. Put down payment on one in Chicano at Perillo Saab, talk to a sales man David there. Called back and gave same deal and a little better financing. Car should be here in a couple of weeks. I will post how everything turns out. Thanks
  • My new 9-3 for invoice less $4700 rebate will not be delivered to dealer until mid-April. He claims to have frozen the $4700 incentive for me even if it is discontinued for April, when I take delivery. Can I rely on this. He showed me a Saab form called the Buyer Protection Plan for this purpose. Am I safe?
  • floppymfloppym Posts: 3
    I received the following quote from the local dealership here in Santa Clara, CA:

9-3 5-Door(325)
    > Manual Transmission
    > Midnight Blue Metallic Paint
    > Sand Beige Classic Leather
    > 2-Way Power Glass Sunroof
    > Plus, Front Heated Seats.

> Invoice price $29188.00
    > Incentive - $4700.00
    > =$24488.00
    > Dealer profit + $609.00
    > YOUR SELLING PRICE=$25097.00
    > + 45.00 Doc. Fee.
    > $2011.36 Tax
    > $371.00 D.M.V.(Lic. and Reg. for one Year)
    > =$27529.36 YOUR PRICE OUT THE DOOR.

I didn't buy the car, but I'm wondering about the listed invoice price. Is it accurate? This was on March 5th that the quote was made. The invoice listed is higher than what it listed at Edmunds and other places, but I had read another poster here who stated that invoice prices were raised in March. Raising invoice midyear seems really weird to me, especially since MSRP was unchanged.
  • bg750bg750 Posts: 4
    It sounds about a $1000 high.
  • bobyk1bobyk1 Posts: 3
    This was a bit surprising as I found out that base models are not shipped over to usa. You have at least one option if not a couple mixed and matched. I was seeking a solid black(or white or red)no metallic, with the auto option and thats it. But 99% you have the sunroof option there or the leather or the heated seat or the metallic paint mixed in. Any reason why the base models dont make here or unless the dealership guy had some misinformation.
  • cbestardcbestard Posts: 2
    I see a lot of discussion about the $4700 dealer rebate, but I'd like to see something in writing. Where is this info posted and how long is it good for? I'm in SC and ready to move on a 9-3 if this deal is still in effect. Also, can anyone tell me if you can get the incentive and then use the resulting price for a lease? Thanks.
  • bobyk1bobyk1 Posts: 3
    I beleive the 4700 incentive has been in effect for some months from what I heard from the dealership person I was at a few nights ago. He actually used it when calculating the price and stuff.
  • r34r34 Posts: 178
    Does anyone know the 0-60 time for AUTO base 9-3 and AUTO 9-3 SE ? I found 5-speed time but I couldn't find the auto time.

Also, do I need to let the engine runs for a while before turning it off ?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    can you tell me the 5-spd times?

thanks.

Oh. and, from what I understand about turbos, yes, you have to run it a while in the low rpm range before shutting down. Its to cool the turbo off. Same when starting, you want to warm it up before spooling the turbo up.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• dhinchidhinchi Posts: 2
    Was the car you ordered from Perillo a demo? They offered me a 2001 with 5000 miles for 23,900. I like your deal a little better! What kind of financing did you get?
    qbrozen:

I think somewhere (Auto channel ??) say it is around 7.5s for a base 9-3 5-speed. An auto 900 (170hp ? 185 hp ?) is not much slower than that, I assume the new 9-3 base auto is around 8s.....

The Saab salesman told me they don't make any profit on accessories. He suggested me to order it from the Saab website. Is it true ? The website says those prices are MSRP and the dealers may charge differently...

The dealer also charge me $45 doc. fee (license ??) and $10 for out-of-towner fee because I lived in another state....
    What kind of free gifts did you get when you got your 9-3 ?
  • cbestardcbestard Posts: 2
    I wouldn't have known about the $4700 incentive were it not for the posts on this board. I just walked away with a 01' 9-3 w/leather, metallic, heated seats, and sunroof for $24K even-what a deal!! It was a no haggle deal, I asked for the full $4700 off and told them their profit was in the 2.2% holdback (apparently it's 3% in SC). Sold! I bought from Rick Hendrick Saab in Charleston, SC, and they were super.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Sounds like you had a good purchase experience; thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your Saab 9-3 ownership experience. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • sstrzsstrz Posts: 3
    Hey bobyk1 -

You're in luck if you are in the Princeton area - I got my Saab this month from your friendly dealership on Route 206 via e-mail as earlier reported - dealer invoice, less $4700 - no haggle! Good luck!
  • ckenedickenedi Posts: 16
    bg750 - I ended up buying my 9-3 from "Mercedes" at Goodman Saab. Other than a few minor difficulties and the fact that the car she found for me was in NJ (I am going out to get it tomorrow), it was pretty good. The finance/closer guy was actually quite pleasant and patient. I had the same thing happen that you did - we agreed on a price and then she called back and said she couldn't get a red base manual.

I was then planning to buy a red/beige w/o roof, in Erie OH, but the dealer w/n come down on the accessories and I wanted to negotiate them into the price of the car. Several other dealers were willing to sell them at 50-60% as part of the deal.

The best deal I found was with a nice salesman named Ken in Southfield, MI - Glassman, Saab. But he only had a black or silver and I really wanted red or maybe blue. but he was offering 22,638 + tax, tile, doc fee ($40) for 9-3 5spd w hotseats and roof.

Mercedes however called back and said she had found a car that was exactly like what I wanted: red 9-3, grey interior, 5 speed, heated seats and roof for $22,8 +tax and including four accessories (retail value $325. Part of the deal was that I have to get it in NJ, but I'm thinking it will be a fun drive home.

As an FYI, I have called or emailed over 30 dealers from Maine to Florida to Iowa looking for a red manual base 9-3 at a good price. Many dealers w/n negotiate near the price I recieved. Although there are only a few red ones on the east coast or in the midwest.

So wish me luck as I go out to get it and good luck getting yours from Perillo.

Chris
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    No problem, Are you aware that the market place no longer accepts private ads for autos? Where else would you suggest?
    I just got my new Saab on last Sat. I like it. I got the car at invoice price - $4700 incentive and I received 6.85% simple interest loan from a third-party bank.

The car is a base automatic. If I drive it in city with Normal mode, the car doesn't like to go before the turbo kicks in. Once it excesses 2000rpm or it is on highway, it is quick. The leather used in the car is the best, better than the one in Japanese cars, Passat, and A4. The center console, armrest storage area, and cup-holders are not very good. Some plastics used in the car are liked some GM cars (20% US/Canadian parts). I am still ok with that.

I have 2 problems:

1. Both key remotes are not good for teh alarm/lock. The owner's manual said the range is 5-7 yards but I have to get closed to the car for 1-2 feets to get it work.

2. Wind noise seems to be a common problems. Although I closed all windows, trunk, and sunroof, there is a cabin noise that sounds like air (whistling) through a slightly opened window while I was driving. It came from the driver side.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    for the review. I'm thinking about going to check out Saabs tomorrow (and an A4 down the street from me). I think the new ones are an incredible deal. I wish I could afford it. Normally, I could, but the negative equity on my trade-in is the killer. Oh well, maybe somebody has a nice 99 9-3 for me.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• dsciullidsciulli Posts: 1
    I'm taking delivery of a 2001 9-3 SE within the next few days and am seriously considering upgrading to the Saab sport exhaust right off the bat. All the literature that I've read claims a 7 hp increase. The dealer claims it is more like 3 hp. Does anyone have any insight on this? Also, how does the sport exhaust affect the torque curve? I haven't seen any info. on that whatsoever. Has anyone seen or heard of any quantitative documentation such as the hp/torque curves with the sport exhaust installed. Any insight whatsoever is appreciated.
  • snoopy20snoopy20 Posts: 1
    Hi -

I'm looking at buying a 9-3. Does anyone know how long the $4700 rebate is going until??

Thanks.
  • driver36driver36 Posts: 57
    Does Saab 9-3 comes with full size spare? Any feedback would be much appreciated!
  • ckenedickenedi Posts: 16
    Rebates are anyone's guess, but FWIW I think they will continue so Saab can keep the factory going until they come out with the new "9-3".

dsciulli - why not wait till you get it? 3-7 HP is going to make more of a mental then a physical difference. Your gear technique and road conditions will have more impact. It definitely has a different sound and the exhaust tip is way cool.
  • sstrzsstrz Posts: 3
    snoopy20 -

Please be aware that there is NOT a $4700 REBATE - the $4700 is a Manufacturer to Dealer INCENTIVE, not a Manufacturer to Consumer rebate!

Check around if you are serious about getting a Saab 9-3 - I got one this month at dealer invoice less the $4700 incentive. How? E-mail! It was the easiest sale the dealership had all month!
    I was told by several dealers the manufacturer to dealer incentive ($4700 for base, $5500 for SE, etc) will be ended on March 31. Most dealers will give you that incentive. Edmunds said you will be taxed before the incentive. My dealer didn't put any MSRP or Incentive information on the sale contract, he put down only the final sales price. My sales tax was charged after the incentive.

9-3 doesn't have full-size spare tire.

The car has 4 air vents (2 on each side and 2 behind the "armrest" for rear passengers.

The strange wind noise and short remote range seem to be common problems.
    While buying a new 9-3 (wohoo!) I talked with a couple of dealership folks about the 2003 all-new 9-3. I was told that there is no hatch version planned, and that Saab salesfolk were pushing for Saab to reconsider, since the hatch is not easily available in the near-lux market and it is a selling point with some customers. Apparently salesfolks would like there to be a hatch version in addition to the (upcoming) sedan and wagon.
    If anyone finds out how to do this, please post. In some Saabs, apparently there is a fuse for it. In 99 9-3's, there is a known wire to cut. But in 2000 and 2001 9-3's, I haven't found anyone who knows what wire to cut, and there isn't a fuse for it. Any info apreciated.
  • dhinchidhinchi Posts: 2
    Do I understand your post correctly, floppym? The Hatchback is the main reason I've loved my Saabs - just upgraded to a 2001 9-3 and am already a little disappointed that the cargo area isn't completely flat like my old 900... but NO hatchback at all? The good news is -- should impact my resale value in a positive way!
This discussion has been closed.