Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Coupe (2002 and earlier)

Comments

• askabry1askabry1 Posts: 7
    Its a possibility, but not a real strong one. From what I've seen, low mileage '99 Saabs (<40K)are getting roughly $15500 in the 9-3 iteration. My guess is you'd own it for longer than you'd like- especially with Saab running deep discounts on 02s in preparation for the new models.

If the goal is simply to buy and sell, I'd think you'd have to get it alot closer to the $13,700. You might want to check into www.saabnet.com for comparisons there.
  • jas28jas28 Posts: 50
    You think your residual is high? I've got a 99 base model, no leather, manual transmission with a 3 year/36k lease - my residual is more than 18k. Like I'd ever buy that out!
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Guys:

I got a sneak preview of the new 9-3 yesterday. It doesn't look half bad, but it does share many components with the new CTS. One thing that did annoy me was how large they made the Saab symbol on the steering wheel. It is about twice as big as the current symbol. They have also played with the ergonomics (window controls are now on the doors, ignition is recessed into the center floor panel).

Since this was a pre-production vehicle, things such as the glove compartment, new butterfly cupholder and a few other new doodads were not on this car.

Saab is attempting to catch up to the competition with all of the new electronic gear (ESP). My only question is on the engine. This is a reduced size version of the 2.2 liter GM "global" engine. How well will a 2.0l GM engine handle turbocharging? I guess I will have to wait until October to drive the thing and make up my mind.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    The ECOTEC engine is designed for operation as 1.8 to 2.2L (and maybe higher?). The 2.2L block is best turbocharged when destroked to 2.0L, I'm told, as the bore and stroke are more similar to make the engine more 'square' for better forced induction. The 700HP methanol drag racing Cavalier and Sunfire both use 2.0L destroked ECOTECs.

The Opel Speedster uses a 2.2L turbocharged ECOTEC but only gets 180HP out of it. I don't know why they chose not to destroke that one.

Subaru uses a 2.0L in their WRX version of the Impreza -- why didn't they just turbocharge their base 2.5L? Why didn't VW just turbocharge their 2.0L instead of going with a 1.8L? With forced induction, some of the standard rules of engine design are no longer optimal.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Posts: 116
    "Subaru uses a 2.0L in their WRX version of the Impreza -- why didn't they just turbocharge their base 2.5L?"

I don't mean to argue with your valid point, but I just want to say that it doesn't really apply in Subaru's case.

In Japan, the Impreza doesn't come with the 2.5 liter engine. The largest engine offered is a 2.0 liter, the normally aspirated version of the WRX 2.0 turbo.

The reason the engine is 2.0 though is because that's the WRC limit on engine displacement. Subaru designed the engine for WRC and then put it into their street cars...I'm pretty sure anyway.

Why would they bother to turbocharge a 2.5 for the street car when they already have a perfectly good 2.0 turbo to use? It makes more sense in Japan to have a smaller displacement engine too, and it must be understood that they have the home-market in mind when engineering what they engineer.

Sorry for going off topic.

Mike
  • lucanlucan Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a new 9-3 hatchback, and I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have 1 big ergonomic problem: the footwell. My left leg can't extend out as far as my right because it's blocked by the footwell. I think this will become frustrating quickly. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket fix to lower that part of the footwell to be as low as the rest of the footwell? Thanks.
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    How 'bout a mallet? ;-)

But seriously, the footwell is cramped because it's avoiding something on the other side ... probably just the wheelwell, maybe actual parts, but I imagine they made it that way for a reason other than to cramp our style. Not sure you can recover that space.
  • cassidicassidi Posts: 1
    I love the 10 spoke wheels that the New 93 has in some of it's ads. I saw something that said these rims will be available on the linear as part of a premium package. i was wondering if they will be standard on the vector model, thoughts?
    Any word on the timeline for a viggen type 93. dates? HP? etc.
    I love the car and don't know if I should wait for the high output.
    any feedback w/b appreciated
  • lucanlucan Posts: 2
    yeah you're probably right :) I guess I'll have to crawl under there and look. still, even if there is room it would involve cutting and welding etc.
  • hppypaulhppypaul Posts: 43
    Cassidi,
    More HP is always better. I'm going to wait.
    also remember that 10 spoke wheels look nice, but are hard to keep clean with all the brake dust these cars put off. I'll stick with the 5's.
    I agree with you totally about the cramped quarters. When I was test driving a 9-3, I kept wanting to stomp out that silly little hump-attempt at a dead pedal to get some more room!

You're right, it could get old real fast. Then again, there's always something like that on every car, huh?

:-)
  • vigorousvigorous Posts: 15
    This is a '99; the car that in 2001, finished tied with a Lexus and two other Japanese cars for TOP SPOT - no faults found - in Which?, the UK consumers association periodical.

I you don't believe me, try a search: 'How reliable is your new car?" at the BBC

I have 78k km on this car and am enjoying every minute of it. The car has cachet because you don't run into many of them. The dealer says they are noticing a dip up in resale because the car is now a GM car (read parts availability) and because the car has earned its repuation for rock sold reliability.

So if you don't want a car everybody else already has, and the Saab fits your needs, you'd be wise to at least try one. It's as comfortable at the ski hill or the beach as it is going to the opera and studies show, people think they're more expensive than they really are.

I plan on keeping this car for a very long time. They are able to be mod-ed 'chipped' for a tremendous performance boosts. To research this aspect of Saab, try the performance tuning links at Wigwam Saab of Rhode Island.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    Just got a '02 9-3 Convertible SE. Fell in love with it while test-driving the Merc and BMW convertible offerings, too. Quirkier, but very endearing. And you don't see as many around. Hope the reliability is as good as the reputation.

Anyone know how to take off the auto-gear-shift? I rodered the exchange part, and wonder if I *have* to take it to the dealer for such a minor change...
  • nvcolornvcolor Posts: 9
    I stopped by the Saab dealer in my area today (Kansas City) and he had what appeared to be 3 brand new 2001 9-3's on his lot. I couldn't get an odometer reading, but the cars still had their original factory stickers on the windows. Tires looked brand new, so I assumed these are brand new cars. Can this be correct? Aren't the 2003's due out in 3 months or so? All 3 had same options - AT, heated seats, and moonroof. Two were silver and one black. Black had MSRP of 30,370 and silvers were 30,820. The dealer had signs in the cars listing selling price at 23,101 for black and 23,421 for silver. I have to assume the full warranty is still in place, but perhaps not?

Have any of you seen new 2001's in your area, and if so, what kind of price was being asked. I'm not sure what to make of his asking price. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks
    I saw the same thing over here in the SF Bay Area...brand new unsold 2001's. Shows that dealers have to mark these cars down to get them to move. And even then they can't (or won't) do it. Not sure what they're waiting for. When the 2003's come out these old models are gonna be even more undesirable. I guess they're gonna hold onto them until they become collector's items and maybe then they can get their price. ;-)

If it's a new car, the full warranty would be in effect.
    I would expect that, once you express your real interest, they'd be willing to come down quite a bit on the 2001s to get them moving, and get a better deal than on a 2002. Note that the new 2003 9-3 will not include a 2 door hatch or convertible... I find that a bit odd, since the 9-3 and 9-5 don't seem that far away from each other in pricing to justify the focus on two different 4-door sedan platforms...
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    The 2001's have no incentives left, therefore the dealer is having to suck up all of the cost of selling the car. My local dealer has 4 9-3's left and he is slashing the price on them. Prices I have never seen, because incentives are gone at the end of the month on 9-3 line.
    In today's newspaper, I saw they were advertising $8k markdowns on 2001 Saab's around here.
  • I am shopping around for a used 2000-2001 Saab 9-3 2 door 5 speed and was wondering if anyone knew of any new 2001's that still might be leftover at a dealer. Any input or responses would be greatly appreciated.
  • I just bought a '99 Saab Convertible and I must say, I LOVE THIS CAR. (My previous car was a '95 Jetta that I had for almost 8 years.) The car had 29,000 miles on it; and cost 22K. I think it was a decent deal. If it wasn't, don't tell me -- I don't wanna know! :-) I'm still getting used to all the leather and power-operated gadgets. Love driving with the top down!

tlivac -
    have you decided about your car? I'm sure you can get more than 15K for it....OK maybe. Depends on where you're located and the condition of the car. Kelly Blue Book says 17,995 for a car like yours in excellent condition. Check out the site: www.kbb.com. Let us know what you decide.
This discussion has been closed.