Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Transmission Problems

Comments

• Well my 2001 is a coupe and has the V6 it acted like it was in neutral and wouldn't go back into gear. From what I was told by the mechanic was that some sort of bearing went out in the transmission, and because it is a sealed transmission they can't just go in and fix that part. So I ended up having to replace the transmission.
  • Hi, Thanks for replying. How much did it cost to replace the transmission?
  • Well I didn't take mine to the dealership but to a mechanic that has worked on the car before he told me for a new aka rebuilt one it would run somewhere along the lines of 4k but I went with a used one that he found with low miles on it and it ran about 1,000 bucks so not bad. He told me the coupes were really good cars and that the transmission is mechanical and mechanical things will break down at some point. Hope this helps you.
  • Does anyone know how to make this code stay away once cleared?

Does anyone know where this Solenoid switch is located so I can check to see if a plug is loose?

This started after my battery died and my trany went into limp mode. (OK now). :confuse:
  • Many notes here about the 'harsh downshift' problem. I had the problem also: 2004 Sebring, 70K miles, harsh downshift decelerating from ~28 mph. I had lost fluid just before from leaky hoses, pan gasket, and solonoid pack - probably 2 quarts pooled on my garage floor. All replaced, along with new filter and correct ATF4 fluid, but still had the downshift problem. 2 shops wanted to rebuild my unit for ~$3k. Then I visited a local tranny expert - he verified that no codes were present. However, he also confirmed that the transmission pressure readings were out of calibration, likely due to excessive loss of fluid which was reported earlier. Because the computer could not clear these erroneous values, the harsh downshift occurred as the computer over-compensated. The values were cleared manually via the reader/sender, after which the computer properly recalibrated, and the harsh downshift disappeared. This is likely the same action reported by atomz1, but with the current computer. The reset can only be done with the reader - not simply disconnecting the battery - but the solution was easy and only cost me a $20 donation to the doughnut fund. Another testament to honesty and expertise from an independent family-run shop! The bad news was the readings also indicate my transmission is in its end-stage - high pressure reading indicate significant wear on the 'clutch' plates- I'll be lucky to get 10K miles more from this tranny. Lucky I got 70K that I did! The Sebring is a good car - but the tranny is not durable, as verified by the repair expert: "Chrysler and Ford trannies keep us in business!"
    I appreciate the help from this forum to rule out all the other issues. This group is fortnuate to have folks such as Nick regularly respond with such helpful advise.
  • I understand that the 2005 versions of 40TE transmissions have only 2 clutch packs while 41TE has four. To me this is a major difference, as it is directly translates to lower torque capacity (from what I understand about transmissions). Now, the question is, both are categorised as A604 trannies; are those interchangeable? I mean I am trying to find out if a 2005 2.4L AT 40TE transmission would fit a 2002 Chrysler Sebring convertible 2.4L AT that originally came with 41TE. Thanks...
  • hey thx buddie i try to help i been throw it all compssor bearing winding up idal pully trainie vhb tape for back windows seems lol use atf fluids only in trainie not dextron keep rpms down my traini 98 thos miles still perfect change all fluids slniod body last yr filter on it for pp that have that gas gadge stick happend s to alot pp use gm tecktron that will stp it right away its great suffler on sending unit this take it off for u k all this info can be found on sebringconvatable club.net ok all the inof u bever need on e these cars all there thx nick
  • use gm tecktron big one with full tank u never see gas meter go up in down nomomre bad gass builds sulfer on these cards sending units this gm stuff tecktron fluid just add to gas tank 10 bucks will fix this problem right away then ever 6 mo use bottle again matain clean helathy system shell gas worse on sullfer
  • loked aorund best stuff to use dupi coler makes rim paint get it for silver hi metalic rims on sum of our convertables scuff it up 1st use 400 grid then prime then use 2 coats silver metalic rim paint buy dupi coler then buy 2 cans cleaer rim paint add 2 coats to thet drys fast hard enamal great stuff looks like new :shades:
  • after 80 thos miles
    1 get new soliniod body for tainie 150 bucks 100 labor
    cuse hard sifts clunks
    2 use atf fluid only 3 or 4
    3 change filte ron trainie pan flush old out 70 bucks

gota maintain it keep rpms down under 3000 down push on gas so ghard to wind up rpms take it easy on your convtable not race car bmw conv is what u want then :shades: :shades:
  • vhb foam tape losen top up in the up post 3 ft from lock down then pull seem up with vhb thick foam tape that never let go cheap way is girilla black tape :(
  • buy new crank shaft sensor goes in deep by tainie 20 bucks 50 labor
    car dont start at all but turns over its dirbuter and cap get new spark in wires also when u do wires plugs on sebring U MUST REPLACE HEAD VALVE COVER GASKETS
    WITH TUBE SEALS MUST DO THAT
  • IS K AND N 35 BUCKS CANT AFORD IT U BUY FRAM ONLY NOTHING LESS
    MOPAR OIL FILTERS ARE VERY GREAT ALSO MOVES THE FLUID BETER THEN CHEAP JUNK FAST EDDIES WORSE BRAND OIL FILTERS AND OIL SO USE MOPAR FILTER 3 BUCKS BUY AT ANY DEALER
  • NEW DOOR CHEAKS 35 EASH TAKLE SPEAKER OUT AND STUFFING TO GETTO THEM 2 SCREWS ON FRONT SIDE EASY TO REMOVE THOSE BREAK IF PP FLY OPEN THE DOOR WAY PAST WHAT SHOULD BE CALLED DOOOR CHEAKS :mad:
  • FROM BAD BACK WINDOW SEAL DRILL HOLES IN TRUNK UNDER CARPET TO DRAIN TO GET WINDOW FIXED
  • THERMSTAT USALLY GO BAD CHEAK FLUID IS IT LOW AT PEA COCK SUMTIME THOSE WER EOUT TOP ALL CHEWED UP WERE RING ON CAP MEETS IT SO GET NEW CAP SEE IF STOPS LEAKING OUT THAT HOLSDS BETER PRESSURE USALL NO HEAT LOW HEAT DONT GET HOT ENEGH STUCK OPEN THERMASTAT ON THESE 15 BUCKS 50 LABOR
  • BENDIX ARE BEST SMOOTHEST WONT GET DUST ALL OVER OUR RIMS VERY SMOOTH I TRYED ALOT COMES WITH ANTI RATTLE CLIP U MUST HAVE THIS IF U GO OVER BUMP U HERE RATTLE PROABLY BREAK PADS CLIP BROKE THAT ONE TOOK ME 5 MO FIGURE IT OUT LOL
  • jaydee14jaydee14 Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 chrysler sebring, i can't shift out of park. i used it the night before came out the next morning and was unable to shift out of park. does anyone have experience with this problem.
  • 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXI - 89,000 miles

Was going down the highway, when my car basically put itself into neutral and I coasted to a stop. The car would then just rev the motor if you hit the gas, no matter what gear it was in.

Took it to a repair shop and had the transmission replaced. The transmission worked beautifully, better then it had before.

Two weeks(and $2,000.00) later I inadvertantly left my door cracked, which led to a dead battery. I had someone "jump" me, all cables were correctly placed on the batter.

Now, the car shifts fine twice, then at about 35-45 mph it lurches forward, then shifts again, and is fine after that point. There is no clunk when I slow down.

Took it back to the transmission place, and they hooked it up to computer and it produced no codes. They then told me to drive it around and in 35-40 stops/starts it will fix itself. I have done the 35-40 stops/starts and nothing has changed.

Any ideas as to what happened? Or what I can do to fix this?
  • hey that sucks i betthat [non-permissible content removed] dint change the soiniod body on it 160 doler part goes on it controls way it shifts opens litte cluthes up to shift smooth have him get u new one dint even need trainy i bet did he use atf 4 ? in god dam trainy or gm dextron if gm take it back now tell [non-permissible content removed] put atf 3 4 in ok taine only more slipery then gm [non-permissible content removed] ok must have atf 3 or 4 fluid in with new soiniod body goes on top trainie easy to install ok call :shades: