Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville Electrical Problems

Comments

• enealkenealk Posts: 2
    my temp guage went all the way around to pointing straight down and has stayed there ever since and sometimes the gas guage registers less gas than I know is in the tank (since other times it works properly & when it isn't working right it starts by clicking & then stopping in the lower position).
  • I have a 95 SE that all of a sudden has no dash lights at all... interior lights work as do the leds in the door handles but absolutely no light on the dash displays at all... I have looked in the main fuse box and there is no blown fuse there, nor is there a listing for any dash displays... anybody know where the fuse might be for this? I checked the big fuses located under the hood as well and all look good... help?????????
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,375
    Do you have the owner's manual in the glovebox?

I don't know if your has the panel above the passenger's foot above the hush panel under the glovebox? It may be on the side of the car under the A pillar, i.e.

If it's the standard dash and all the lights are out... have you tried the knob, lever, that changes the brightness of the dash lights. I am probably suggesting something you already have tried. I recall some headlight switches have had trouble heating and charringplastic connectors on the back of the headlight switch and that might affect the dash ligthts.
  • hi there.. no manual.. but I do remember now that you mentioned it that there is another fuse panel on the passenger side under the glove box... all in total there are 3 separate fuse sites, one under the drivers side, the big fuse panels under the hood and the one you just mentioned... I will check that out... thanks for the idea
    Email me and I can connect you to other help sites for Pontiac. I am a long time lesabre owner. There seem to be unique problems to the Bonneville version and slight differences in things just like where you're having a problem. I don't know how the dimmer is set up for the dash lights, but I just wonder if it is turned all the way off or broke. Email is in profile-read the whole thing.

Does the radio dial light go bright and dim with the dimmer if it works? Or is it out too?

My leSabrs were 93, 98, and 03. So I don't have a model near your year. But I can help fix you up.
  • I have a 97 Bonneville SE. Is there a fuse for the security system? I have lights blinking on the inside of the car and they won't come on, on the outside of the car, the car just dies for no apparent reason. A guy at the parts store suggested that it might be the security system causing the problem, and thought we could disconnect it. Does anyone know how to do this, and is it a lot of trouble?
    I think you might have a battery problem. The symptoms of lights not working with blinking and strange symptoms might be that.

The battery itself could be a problem or the cables that connect to the battery and connect to the grounds and other ends of the positive cables could be it. If you have the double cable with one connector on top of the other screwed to the same post those are susceptible to corrosion. Remove them and clean both completely. Look down into the plastic part of the cable. Battery acid has corroded down inside the plastic on some.

You probably already know this but remember to remove the ground cable first and connect it last to prevent arcing from your wrench on the positive.
  • cammy1cammy1 Posts: 3
    my information center on my 93 bonnie ssei flickers on and off at times and my guages bounce left and right very fast and get stuck, also my a/c comes on by itself.....can anyone help me with the proplem?
    I had a 93 leSabre for 150K miles. It developed a minor problem where the AC would default to defrost (no electrical control of vacuum doors) and the AC compressor came on which appears to be default when no power was to the programmer (controller) part of the AC. It was a manual system where I selected cold-warm with a lever.

At the same time the power door locks wouldn't work. This sometimes happened while driving and lasted up to 10 minutes. I rarely if ever happened while sitting in the garage when I first started the car.

I used my service manuals and figured it was a ground problem. There is a ground buss piece where several grounds connect together at the bottom of the A-pillar, beside the emergency brake and under the carpet. I can show pictures if you want. It seems to be sensitive to moisture being in carpet from getting in and out with snow, rain, on feet.

Some people have tried stomping to vibrate the connection which is buried under the plastic edging and had the connection work. I learned about this after I joined another forum--I had figured out it was a ground but didn't know where.

I another discussion there is discussion about DICs not working. Is your car an electronic display speedometer? It might be those pesty circuit boards. Email to my address listed by clicking on my name at the top of this post to see my profile. Read it all to find my email. I'll send you info that may or may not help. Your problem with gauges/DIC could also be the ground. I can post pictures here if you wish.

Ebay seller of electrical reman stuff
    no my guages are not digital(speedom.ect) just my dlock,information cented,and the display of the inside tempeture but yes i would love to see some pics please.
    well i located it and it looked fine, but i cleaned it off anyway,but it didn't help i still have the same problems. my gauged still still stick and bounce from left to right,and every once and awaile the a/c comes on by itself.....Do u think if i were to replace my instument cluster it would stop?
  • Hello. So I noticed that one of my reverse lights did not work, and that is located on the trunk not the body. So I replaced the bulb and still nothing. I was in Iowa at the time and just leaving to come home to colorado. Got home and still didn't work. Took it apart and while I was tinkering with the reverse light(drivers side) all my passenger lights went out. 2 tail light and the reverse. So now i have NO reverse lights and no passenger running lights. Lights on the body work still.

What can I do?

Wires look good.
    Plug ins look good and secure.
    Bulb sockets are ok shape. Little rust not much.

Thank you for your time.
  • Hi, I have a 00 bonniville. My door lock and window work only on driver side. The windows and locks on front passenger and both rear do not work. I got in and probed al the wires from the switch and at the window modual. I found all ground down by kick panels those seem to be ok. i have a after market car start I thought maybe that had something to do with it so I followed every single wire to make sure there was not a short. I even unplugged the dumb thing since the remote start is wired into the locks. i have taken every single door panel off. I am going crazy here. I noticed that my fuse box under the car seat , there are 4 fuses that are getting very hot. One is to the cig lighter, the other is ign. 3( whatever that is). The fuse box under the hood, there are fuses very hot in there also ignition 1 ( what ever that is) The switches all the way around do not work the only button that works is the driver door for that door only. Any suggestion I need help.
  • jstieljstiel Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2002. Haven't been able to find a a solution. I have a driver's door switch assembly coming to see if that will do it.
  • Hi, I feel like your long lost twin, down to the after-market remote starter. My mechanic is actively troubleshooting the identical issue in my 00 and I will share with you our findings. Since the car is relatively new to me, I have no prior experience to go on, but other Pontiac's I have owned usually developed a similar problem where the wires came from the body of the car to the door, and eventually developed stress-like fractures. We seemed to have ruled that out now, so it is new territory.
  • Mechanic found a problem with wiring that he traced under the front carpet toward middle of floor where there was a bad connector sitting in a indentation in the floor where there was moisture accumulation. He fixed wiring, and drilled a few small holes to allow moisture to drain since it appears that water is piling up here from some undiagnosed leak. This also fixed my passenger side view mirror motor which was also not working.
  • My wife's 2002 windsheild wiper came on by themself and will not go off. I tried disconnecting the battery but that did not help. Any idea where to go from here? The car only has about 12500 mile and is very sheldom out in the rain.
  • heater blower fan:relay good,power to relay, no power to fan runs intermintly stumped,wires good,a little information will help me a lot thanks

You probably have a blower control module problem. It is an automatic temp control car? This is where the fellow is pointing on top of the housing for the incoming air for the blower motor which is to the right of his hand. The module is held in by two bolts; it gets cooled by the air flow.

Access is easier if you take out one or two bolts holding the relay center above the blower unit and raise it. I don't know if he did that in the picture.

You can double check by supplying power directly to the blower leads from the battery with a fused power wire and keeping it grounded to be sure the blower motor is working.

The module is available from ADvance auto, junk yards-different ones for different carso-be careful, and gmpartsdirect.com, rockauto.com, and another one to price shop online. It's under AC/heating, electrical, usually.

Troubleshoot it first to be sure it's the problem. They usually fail stuck on and drain the battery running the blower motor after car is turned off. Also fail where they vary with temperature how they act with the blower motor running sort of at very odd speeds for the setting on the dash control...
  • Did you ever get the issued straightened out on the 2002 Bonneville?
  • I have a 2001 SSEi and from reading other posts in this forum I think I may have water drain issues and probably some ground issues. First issue was the wipers-they would turn on but not turn off. Second issue is water coming into the car-started in the rear passenger floor now it is also in the front driver side-cannot locate where the water is coming from, maybe the sunroof. Third issue is oil pressure gauge-it reads 0 pressure but there is plenty of oil and there are no additional noises coming from the engine. Interior lights work sometimes. My car has always been "sensitive" to water. Any thoughts on where I should start? Thanks!!
  • I had an older Bonv that leaked and had plugged drain holes in the sunroof, and a broken piece of trim around driver door that were responsible. A friendly GM bodyshop manager can roll off a list of possibilities since it appears they deal with these issues with this vehicle often. The wiring issues I've run into have been under the carpet secondary to rust and corrosion.
  • I'm going through the exact same problem right now with my 2000 SSEi. Battery died, then no audio from the radio. Everything appears to work, but no sound output. My dealer told me the same thing...replace the radio.

I checked the wiring diagram for the amp...Pin A8 is a "radio on signal". Does anyone know what the value of the signal should be? And how to bypass it?
  • gert3gert3 Posts: 2
    For the second time the fob no longer works, the interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened, and the computer plug-in does not have power. Last time I found a fuse under the rear seat blown. This time I can not find a blown fuse in either fuse box. What do I look for next and where?
  • gert3gert3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 bonneville se and had repeated water problems on both front doors. the mechanics said there are diverters inside the door that were coming out of place. The mechanics fixed several times and fortunately have not had a leak in a while.
  • Not sure if anyone can help me but was wondering if anyone had any info on the wiring connections to the Chime Module that is fitted to these vehicles.

I would like to reuse one of these Modules for a project on another vehicle but have come up short on the main 16 pin connector and exactly which terminals are connected to ground via a switched input ( eg. Door Switches ) and which are switched via 12V +

Any info would be really appreciated especially a description of where the other connections head off to other than the main 12+ supply and the device ground connection.

Regards,

Electromech
  • bonnie95bonnie95 Posts: 2
    Hi

I have a 1995 bonneville ssei. My signal lights want work, My husband has changed the fuse and every time the fuse is blown. I work nights so it's kinda hard to do hand signals in the dark and I don't think the other drivers pay attention to those any more. Can someone give me some feed back on what could be causing my fuses to blow.

Thank you

Bonnie95
  • josiah624josiah624 Posts: 6
    The LCD on my (Stock) stereo/cd player is very faint and the left side is EXTREMELY faint. Looks like a bulb may be out. Is this an easy fix or is it not worth the trouble/expense.

It's annoying at worst.