Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick La Crosse Steering

1235»

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    edited June 2012
    You know the primary reason for warped rotors. I can say I never had that issue not track to improper torqueing.
    It seems the Intrigue must have been one of GM's better builds. I see many of them on the street here and they still look pretty decent.
    Maybe heavy, but they give the feel of strength as you ride across any bumps versus a cacoon that flexes all over the place. The Aurora had that feel of strength.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Posts: 427
    Been through alot of brake jobs over the years and the Intrigue ownership taught me about over-torqueing, appears plausible. I am not a mechanic and any repairing of mechanical problems is my opinion only..Air filter changing, light bulb replacement, and car cleaning is the extent of my talents..

Recently, a car under my care had an a/c stoppage and I knew the dealer would tell me that the compressor was shot, however I did a web search and pin-pointed the problem, went to the car dealer parts dept, no stock, went to my 2 man-shop and they had the relay on hand, and we had cold air again for $75.00..Had to be lucky once in awhile!!!!

The Intrigues were OK cars, all 3 were loaded GLS models, leather, sunroof, and chrome wheels..The 99er and the 02 were powered by the "Short Star V-6" all alum engine w/4 valves/cyl, and 6.5 qt oil capacity. I had SLP catback exhaust system installed on both Intrigues..Great suspension system, and fun cars to drive, not hotrods, but able to cover long distances comfortably for a smaller car..The 98 Intrigue was a GM buyback at 26k mi, which worked out well for me. The 98 and 99 were bought in Michigan, and the 2002 was purchased in Florida and never left the state..

The 99er was the victim of a 17 hr straight drive from Ocala, Fl to Grosse Pte Wds, Mi covering 1120 miles, one driver, fun trip, no meals in the car..No tickets either, I-75 all the way..It's return trip to Fl was on a car carrier and was the victim of a low-hanging tree limb. Cost the carrier $350 for clean-up services..Had the a/c problem car mentioned earlier shipped from Indianapolis to Venice, Fl in 2007, totally enclosed trailer, $1,000..
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    moto: That explains the oil story. We also went thru the schizophrenic employer behavior of the 80's. One of my appointed bosses would get his lithium mixed up and fire everyone that disagreed with him. His expertise was getting the headcount down not running the business, but he drove a Fiat so we understood his behavior.
    We love preventitve maintenance also and 3-5000 mile oil changes are a cheap route. Our leased company cars were really beaten down and mistreated but executive units assigned as perks - not for business purposes - were taken care of by underlings. The $30,000 to $60,000 cars of today need less care but we still keep ours in tip top condition and treat them as family members.
    The new Buick Lacrosse is more "German" IMO and a real pleasure to drive. Excellent mileage with 28-29.5 at max hiway speed with our small V-6 . Ours has outstanding handling on the road with most all of the creature comforts for a low $30's MSRP. much better iron than cars of old. No rocking chair suspension either.
    The real test will be long termm durability and new GM's approach to recalls, TSB's and customer complaints. If they willingly and proactively fix problems - and there will be some- thenwe will all buy their iron. If not....well then......
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Posts: 427
    Good posting!!!!! If you are happy with your Buick then you made the right decision for the money..only time will tell..

The only reason I happened to be on the Lacrosse forum was I happen to see a 2008 Lacrosse on the website of the local Toyota dealer with super low mileage, leather, and sunroof..The 200 hp 3.8 power is no thriller but the rest of package was okay..

However after reading the common ownership complaints which mirrors most GM car maladies of the Chevy and Buick camp, I have dropped the idea. They share too many components which have a proven record of failure..

Owned too many good cars to get stuck with more junk...The Mustang GT is still option #1 if they only had a sunroof available..At 78 yrs of age, the convertible is out, and besides it's too hot in Fla..My search continues..
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I am the original owner of a 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL with 45,000 miles. I am getting a whining noise as I accelerate after making a left turn. The dealer has diagnosed the problem as a leaking steering rack. He will charge me $777.17 to replace the rack this morning. He is not sure if the leak has damaged the power steering pump by allowing it to run low on fluid. He will need to fill the power steering fluid after the rack is replaced, and then road test the car. If I need a power steering pump, that is another $480.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have never heard of a steering rack failing at such low miles.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    It happens. Maybe it shouldn't. Not familiar with that vehicle but had an Aurora that the price for rack change was over $1000. Sub-frame had to be dropped for R&R, but I did not experience that issue with vehicle.
    Trying to ease your pain.
    And when by Lincoln-Mazda dealer last week I almost passed out. Someone with Mazda that did not look old, but out of warranty, was being quoted price for front and rear shocks/struts. Over $3000.

Determining need for pump should not require replacing rack first.
    Pressure regulation in pump might have failed blowing seal on the rack. Unless the pump is leaking, a pressure test generally indicates pass or fail.
    Maybe searching will tell you the frequency of such failures.
  • Good morning mrrogers,
    Please keep us posted on how everything goes once the steering rack is replaced. If you want for us to check into anything further for you, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning Sarah from GM Customer Service,
    My steering rack was replaced at 44,451 miles on Wednesday, October 17 at a cost to me of $678.47. I tried to contact you at socialmedia@gm,com, but I have not heard from you.
    Perhaps I need to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to speak with the Office of Defects Investigation? Perhaps they will want to recall the whole Buick LaCrosse fleet? Since the design is common to Regal, Grand Prix, and Impala, maybe they should recall all of them?
    Best regards,
    Mr. Rogers
  • Good morning Mr. Rogers,

I apologize that we have not gotten back with you! The emails are forwarded to my coworker Christina and I will check with her on whether or not she has seen yours come through. In the mean time, if you would like to resend your message in case it did not come through our queue here we'll keep an eye out for it specifically.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Neither GM nor the Buick dealership were able to resolve the steering issues. The Lincoln dealer that I purchased the car from agreed to work out a settlement. We sold the car to CarMax with full disclosure of the steering issue. The dealer made up most of the original purchase price. It looks they will have my business from now on. I will never own any GM product after the behavior observed from this experience.
    edited November 2012
    Good afternoon Sarah of GM Customer Service,
    I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Administration. I asked that the entire LaCrosse, Regal, Grand Prix, and Impala fleet be recalled to correct this steering safety defect.

Best regards,

Mr. Rogers
1235»