Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne Vibration Problems

Comments

• mpk5mpk5 Posts: 2
    I also have had some pretty severe vibration issues. Aftergoing directly to Buick in Detroit & filing a formal complaint, they admitted that the engine mounts on some of the early production cars, were mis-designed. They replaced the engine mounts & I haven't had any problems since.
  • Was your vibration in the floor board or elsewhere? Did you experience it over bumps. I get all kinds of vibration through the gas pedal--was that the same for you? Tahnks,

Joe
  • eecneeecne Posts: 13
    The vibration comes from the rear end when I start car for about 3 seconds. I did not notice any vibration in the gas pedal.
  • Mpk5 had problems with the engine mounts--I'm most interested in whether he had vibrations in the floor and gas pedal. Thanks,

Joe
  • mpk5mpk5 Posts: 2
    Yes. I had vibration in the floor, gas pedal & felt it in the steering wheel when accelerating form a stop.
  • Great--I have a very early produciton model too. I will share this with my dealer and hopefully I can get this resolved once and for all. Thanks again,

Joe
  • depending on were you live lemon law may not be your best option. I would suggest checking Automotive Better Business Bureaus at 800-955-5100 as well as lemon law before you decide. My problem was a high speed vibration and this the route I took. This information is in your cars manual. Good Luck.
    I do notice a slight vibration in the gas pedal. However, if I have the cruise on and set my foot gently on the brake, I still notice the same vibration. It must be coming from the road.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,098
    Did someone post that there's a motor mount change for the vibration symptom?
    That makes no sense in replacing the motor mount. Even if there was a bad motor mount, the vibration would not be felt in the gas pedal. Does the lucerne have the drive by wire system? If there was a bad motor mount, you would feel the car jerk when you hit the accelerator excessively.
    Please click on the above link and then read the next several posts. The motor mount was absorbing the normal motor vibrations and the floor of the car and firewall vibrate from the transmitted forces.
    \
    Post #97
    the link doesn't work, can you send it again?
    Done.
    It's post #97 in this discussion.
    When was your car made?
  • how123how123 Posts: 9
    Purchased new lucerne gas pedal vibrates. Dealer replaced one engine mount. Less vibration in gas pedal but now brake pedal vibrates. Were all engine mounts replaced to stop vibration?
  • how123how123 Posts: 9
    Purchased new lucerne gas pedal vibrates. Dealer replaced one engine mount. Less vibration in gas pedal but now brake pedal vibrates. Were all engine mounts replaced to stop vibration?
  • I brought my car into the dealer to examine the motor mount and the dealer said there was no problem with them. Instead he made corrections to the dampener, pursuant to a service bulletin. This made no improvement.

Are ready for this: I recently installed 23 cent rubber washers on the bolt-nut assembly securing the gas pedal to the floor board and that virtually eliminated the vibration in the gas pedal.

GM does not belong in the automobile business. After 100 years of mass producing cars, it can't manufacture a $35k luxury sedan without vibrations. And even worse it won't correct the problem, after customers report it. Instead, they say, Lucernes "do that". But I don't recall any ads for the Lucernes promoting vibration. "Beyond Precision"--what a joke.

Instead customers have to resort to their own jerry-rigged solutions. The dealers are utterly clueless without a service bulletin addressing the problem.

And the tires on the CXS don't help, they have serious flat spotting issues. Stay away from GM!
  • A number of articles on the internet name Ed Zellner as
    "Buick's chief engineer." Let's write a letter to this guy and get his thoughts on the matter.
    >And the tires on the CXS don't help, they have serious flat spotting issues

GM doesn't make the tires.
  • Are you kidding me--of course GM does not make the tires. GM picked them and mated them to this car and does nothing in response to numerous customer complaints re: their performance. This was okay in the 70's when they had 60% market share. You can't get away with this when Toyota is breathing down your neck for no. 1 car producer in the world. Don't defend these guys at GM--they have broken an industrial icon.
    What brand are the tires?

Have you been to the tire manufacturer? Since there's a problem with flatspotting, I'm sure they'll want to handle the tires and replace them.

If you're not getting response from your dealer, perhaps you're over emotional as you are in your post to me. I don't care what Toyota is doing. This topic is Lucerne.
  • Yes the topic is Lucerne--and no one on this string is happy with the car. The vibration issues are well documnted in this column and disappointing for the car GM expects ot compete with Lexus.

I'm betting you're a GM employee or retiree. Because your response is the same as theirs: blame the cusotmer (he's over emotional), don't address the problems.
    Since you didn't tell me the tire brand, I have to question whether there is a car involved here.

The topic attracts people who have problems and you'll find many people are happy with the car. Problems can be solved. Some have used different dealers. Some have kept on their dealer and gotten things fixed to their satisfaction.

You can catch a lot more flies with sugar than with vinegar.
    Good luck with your problems.
  • I spent 4 months telling the dealer what to try, then I took my car to another Buick dealer. I always said please and thank you. The second dealer verified the high speed shimmy with the original equipment Continental tires. GM finally replaced these with Michelins after I went to the executives. Finally GM has bought my car back but I had to replace it with another buick from the same dealership. Since all the other Lucernes on the dealers lot had vibration problem I settled for a Lacrosse. I immediately traded it for a Lincoln MKZ. Now I have a comfortable car that does not shimmy and has a memory seat. All I ever wanted was GM to fix my car so I could drive it at 65mph. I got so much Bull S... that I have to use vinegar to stop the odor. If you want to buy my car contact GM. I'm sure they will give you a good price if you sugar coat it.
    Good luck with your MKZ. For those who think only one car has minor problems, read about the Toyota Camrys from the best car company on earth,
    Camry link
    Earlier in this discussion flat-spotting on Contis is a problem Contis
  • hjw1hjw1 Posts: 17
    We just received our new Lucerne CXL W/3800 engine on Monday. The car was built a couple of weeks ago, and came with Michelin tires. The car is as smooth as silk.

My impression at this point is that it is a wonderful car.
  • Congrats. Which Michelin model did they come with?
    I can guess they are Symmetry tires. GM put them on STS, Devilles, LeSabre Celebrations, etc. Mine on LeSabre have lasted 52000 mi with lots of tread left for this winter so I didn't buy two new Harmonys.

Michelins are roundest under load of tires 3 years ago according to my service manager when using the Road Force balancing to smooth out my ride (I'm picky about out-of-balance).
  • Yes, I have seen the Symmetry fix on these cars. I was just curious if on the 17" tire they had gone to another Michelin. And IMHO, the Michelin does give the most vibration free ride. I am surprized that Buick did not address this until recently. I think a big part of the future of Buick rides on the success of the Lucerne. Sorry about the pun.
    I am so sold on the Lucerne that I am going to get one this summer. I will just make sure to take a nice long test drive on smooth pavement before I sign. I am so glad they changed to the Michelin.
    I've used Michelins on my 67 Mustang till now. My grad school roommate convinced me about the Michelins since he was from Shaker Heights and they were sold in the Cleveland area; I bought the ones Sears had. They had inner tubes and were fat where they met the road. People were always stopping me to tell me my tires were low.

I bought the particular LeSabre Celebrity model because they had switched to Michelin Symmetry from a Firestone tire they used at first. It was the only way to be sure of getting Michelins on a LeSabre 03. And it was Crimson Pearl Red and my wife made me trade in my 150K mi 93 Lesabre.