Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne Vibration Problems

Comments

• I have been trying to resolve the vibration and high speed issues since August and i'm still very unhappy. I went to the executives to get GM to put on new tires. The tires help the low speed issue but not the high speed. GM Engineering will tell you that the high speed shimmy is a normal characteristic of the vehicle.
    I tried to fine another car without this condition to ask GM to trade me but the ones on the dealer lot were worse than mine. my next step is to contact Rick Wagner GM CEO. I would check out lemon law in your state in PA it takes 7 months to get a court date.
    ..Dick
  • OK, here is what I found on my 06 CX. I did a search on Service Bulletins for the Lucerne and ended up here.

http://db.theautochannel.com/db/BuickReviews/safety.php

You will have to change the year to 2006 for the 2006 Service Bulletins as it defaults to 2007.

In any case I found these two bulletins on the Lucerne which match my problems exactly. I took it to the dealer and they have had it two weeks now. Hoping ot get it back soon.

Here are the two bulletins I found amongst many others.

The pinging and knocking had three listings and the vibration had one listing.

Bulletin Summary: TICKING OR KNOCKING NOISE, CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEXPLATE. *TT
    SERVICE BULLETIN:3692 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10019447
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Bulletin Summary: TICKING OR KNOCKING NOISE, CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEXPLATE. *TT
    Date added to datbase: 20060315

SERVICE BULLETIN:3692A NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10019432
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Bulletin Summary: TICKING OR KNOCKING NOISE CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEXPLATE. *TT
    Date added to datbase: 20060314

SERVICE BULLETIN:3365A NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10017095
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER
    Bulletin Summary: TICKING OR KNOCKING NOISE CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEXPLATE. VARIOUS MODELS INCLUDING OLDSMOBILE BONNEVILLE 2006. *TT
    Date added to datbase: 20051024

and

Bulletin Summary: VIBRATION WHEN ACCELERATING. *TT
    SERVICE BULLETIN:3806 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10018914
    MFG Bulletin Date: 19010101
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
    Bulletin Summary: VIBRATION WHEN ACCELERATING. *TT
    Date added to datbase: 20060124

Hope this helps

Fred Schulz
  • I owne the CXS model; the gas pedal transmits vibration over rough surfaces at all speeds. I suspect the tires, but has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing Bridgestone Turanza tires that come stock? Did it eliminate the vibration. My son told me that Buick is putting Continentals on the CXS model? Does anyone know if this is due to vibration complaints? Thanks,

Joe
  • Just to clarify my note above--my son told me that the Buick Lucerne CXS now comes with Continental tires, not the Bridgestone Turanza. Is Buick replacing the Bridgestone tires with Continentals because of vibration? Does the car perform better with different tires? I don't want to push GM on this, unless it will fix the problem. I'm so tired of going to the dealer. The car has been vibrating since I bought it and the dealer has no answere or says it's supposed to do it. And it has been in the shop 5 times for other mechanical problems. They are wearing me out!
  • I feel that the entire V6 drivetrain is very well isolated from the vehicle structure except during initial gas pedal "tip-in" from idle. It is heard more than felt, and only for that first moment. Another strange characteristic that this engine (3.8L) has is the loud "banging" noise it makes as the engine catches at start-up. I hear the same noise in my neighbor's '03 LeSabre.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    >noise it makes as the engine catches at start-up.

Is it like an initial ping. Try a different brand of fuel. OR try the premium grade.

This message has been approved.

• eecneeecne Posts: 13
    The only noise that I hear from my car is after I start it. I hear a motor running for a couple of seconds in the back. The dealer said that its the air ride system. However, the manual said that it the ABS system checking itself. Does anyone have a definite answer?
    What kind of noise? When?

If it's a low rumble sound after about 30 seconds of switch on (with or witout motor running) it's the air pump checking the automatic leveling system and pumping air into the rear shock absorbers.

if it's as you start moving at about 10 mph or more for the first time after starting the car, it's the ABS doing a self test. You might feel it in the brake pedal if it's depressed slightly.

Its a low rumble after 30 seconds of turning on the car. So it must be the automatic leveling system, thanks!
    Try turning the key to "on" and standing by the rear of the car for 40 seconds. You'll hear it from under the car, probably on the back right side. Do not start the engine.

• mpk5mpk5 Posts: 2
    I also have had some pretty severe vibration issues. Aftergoing directly to Buick in Detroit & filing a formal complaint, they admitted that the engine mounts on some of the early production cars, were mis-designed. They replaced the engine mounts & I haven't had any problems since.
  • Was your vibration in the floor board or elsewhere? Did you experience it over bumps. I get all kinds of vibration through the gas pedal--was that the same for you? Tahnks,

Joe
    The vibration comes from the rear end when I start car for about 3 seconds. I did not notice any vibration in the gas pedal.
  • Mpk5 had problems with the engine mounts--I'm most interested in whether he had vibrations in the floor and gas pedal. Thanks,

Joe
  • mpk5mpk5 Posts: 2
    Yes. I had vibration in the floor, gas pedal & felt it in the steering wheel when accelerating form a stop.
  • Great--I have a very early produciton model too. I will share this with my dealer and hopefully I can get this resolved once and for all. Thanks again,

Joe
  • depending on were you live lemon law may not be your best option. I would suggest checking Automotive Better Business Bureaus at 800-955-5100 as well as lemon law before you decide. My problem was a high speed vibration and this the route I took. This information is in your cars manual. Good Luck.
    I do notice a slight vibration in the gas pedal. However, if I have the cruise on and set my foot gently on the brake, I still notice the same vibration. It must be coming from the road.
    Did someone post that there's a motor mount change for the vibration symptom?

That makes no sense in replacing the motor mount. Even if there was a bad motor mount, the vibration would not be felt in the gas pedal. Does the lucerne have the drive by wire system? If there was a bad motor mount, you would feel the car jerk when you hit the accelerator excessively.