Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne Vibration Problems

Comments

• oldguy8oldguy8 Posts: 12
    I would rather GM built this car as a rear wheel drive as I am more familiar with that concept, I have had only one vibration issue and that is on turns at low acceleration
    otherwise car is quite smooth.car is cxl w/V6
  • brigettevbrigettev Posts: 5
    I have an 06 cxl V6, the dealership has balanced the tires about 3-4 times, then finally put 4 new tires on, no luck, still vibrating, what to do? :lemon:
    Well, I just got and update, the dealership has determined that the car DOES infact have a PROBLEM, it needed BOTH FRONT AXLES! Tha bad thing is I had to call BUICK to get some help, they then called the dealership and set up the appointment! I hope this will solve all vibration problems! :confuse:
  • edub708edub708 Posts: 11
    how did you contact Buick? feel free to email me or respond here with the number and the rep to whom you spoke, do you know if Buick suggested the axles or they found it on their own merit? I had my tired changed and I still get a vibration on acceleration and on turns. Hitting bumps I feel a shuddering vibration and sometimes in the pedal almost like a tuning fork being hit. The dealers keep telling me nothing is wrong but something has to be loose under there. btw....is your issue resolved now?
  • Please refer to my post # 145. I think you may be having the same vibration problem I had, so the fix may be the same
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,076
    >so now they are waiting on ANOTHER SET of tires

What brand of tires and what model did they get in the past? Michelin?
    I assume these are ramp tested under load for quality and are being sent out for the dealer to road force balance and install?

The description of a resonance vibration after an initial impact by one poster here sounds like it might be a motor or transmission mount allowing a little movement in response to the impact on one wheel and that movement is continuing as it deteriorates instead of being dampened quickly.

Same resonating could come from wheels, axles, and tires invoking a movement and then the chassis and wheel continuing the resonance.
    They are now putting on Michelin tires, they are doing what Buick is telling them to do, because they think that I just dont want the car, I dont trust the dealership anymore, this was our second vehicle in less than a year. I called about a popping sound then you turn the wheel and they told me 265$, I took it to another dealership and it was covered under the bumper to bumper, it was the steering gear! I hope they get it fixed, I'm tired of driving the junk they gave me to drive, while they are working on mine!
    Well here's and update! they got the Michelin tires on and guess what, it STILL has the vibration, and to top that off, it pulls so hard to the right it hurts your arm to drive, so I left it at the dealership, I have owned the car for 4 weeks, they have had it fir 2.5 weeks, sounds like I bought a LEMON! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel? Does it vary in intensity with vehicle speed? If so, here's what I would do:

Have the tires rotated front to rear and rear to front. If the vibration disappears in the steering wheel, the imbalance is in one of the tires or wheels now on the rear end (a wheel could be bent).

If the vibration varies with engine speed, then it has nothing to do with the wheels or tires. There was a TSB that discussed a fuel line causing a vibration in the pedals and floorboard in the Lucerne. Make sure the dealer has performed the modifications in that TSB.

Keep the Michelins, check them for runout, get them rebalanced, and get a wheel alignment to take care of the pull.
    The vibration is everywhere, the steering wheel, the seats, front and back!, they have rotated and balanced, several times. I had the car aligned before I took it to them, now its way off, but I guess after they replaced both front axles, it should have been aligned anyway????? I thinkg they said they did a raod force test or something, I'm not sure what that is!
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Technical Service Bulletins for the BUICK LUCERNE 2006 - 072200 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE - DELIVERY - HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Make : BUICK Model : LUCERNE Year : 2006
    Service Bulletin Number: 4660
    Replacement Service Bulletin Number:
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 10023723
    Date of Bulletin: 12/01/2007 Date Added to Database: 01/29/2008
    Component: 072200 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Summary: VIBRATION FELT IN THE PEDALS, FLOOR, AND SEAT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. *NJ
  • gsabensgsabens Posts: 10
    Working with my dealer it only took 6K miles to get Michelin tires in an attempt to stop vibrations. After the tire exchange the dealer couldn't find any vibration but I sure could. At 24K miles I finally diagnosed the problem myself and had an independant replace the left front axle ($220). The car now runs so well that I look for excuses to drive it. This problem had to have existed from the factory but the dealer (and GM) WOULD NOT admit that there could be a problem with one of their cars. The General needs to change his (it's) ways!!
    The General does address vibration problems. The store I bought my leSAbre at spend quite a bit of time driving the car with a vibration analyzer connected to the steering column, rebalancing with Road Force balancing the Michelins that came on the car, and doing a slight realignment which solved the slight tendency to give a vibration like a tire slightly out of round. This was in 03, but a blanket statement taht the General needs to change its ways doesn't apply. You may have needed to find a different store.

>the dealer and GM would not admit

If they changed tires to Michelins for you it sounded like they were admitting there was something that not perfect? Right?

I'd suggest going and enjoying your car now that the problem has been fixed.
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Posts: 12
    I have owned my Lucerne for over a year and it has no vibration problems, has Michlan tires.
    The store I'm dealing with is the good one, the dealer I bought the car from would only say everything was within specs. I guess I forgot to say that the dealer changed my tires to Michelin only after I paid $50 each for the upgrade. GM's refusal to admit a flaw goes back to a thrustplate failure years ago which affected nearly 100% of the model I had at the time, but my Lucerne is the fourth Buick I've had since so either I'm blindly loyal or stupid,. I just wish they were a little easier to deal with. Maybe now with their recent trouble ........
    how did you diagnose the problem? I suspect I may have the same issue. If it is, I will try to point that out so the dealer can change it instead of me.
  • rgd3rgd3 Posts: 3
    The vibration can not be fixed with new tires. I've had 10 tires on my Lucerne and balanced at least 5 times in one year. Several dealers all will claim that the vibration is due to road noise, that the vibration doesn't exist or that it is normal. Even went to court in Pittsburgh on Lemon Law. Our case was strong with 1 years worth of documentation with dealers, local frame and axle dealer, and local reputable tire dealer. Court was a kangaroo court with Buick Dealer representative and judge winking at each other. Clunking in steering is also a problem. Attempt at repair was also a failure. I'm 57 years old and have owned several vehicles. This is by far the worst riding vehicle that I've ever owned including those old clunkers from when I was a kid.
    How'd you win the case? Our case in Pittsburgh was a Kangaroo Court with the Buick Dealer Representative and Judge winking at each other. We lost and decided to drop it on the advice of our attorney.

Clunking in steering is also a problem. Attempt at repair was also a failure. I'm 57 years old and have owned several vehicles. This is by far the worst riding vehicle that I've ever owned including those old clunkers from when I was a kid.

I do believe that the axles need to be replaced but can't convince anyone from Buick to do the work. BTY what will happen if this is not fixed? Is this dangerous?
    Realizing that the vibration seemed to be much more noticeable at 60-65 mph I jacked one front wheel clear of the driveway pavement, blocked both rear wheels, started the engine, shifted to drive and ran the speed to 30 mph (the other front wheel was on the concrete and not turning) so the elevated wheel was doing 60. The left front, with or without the tire and wheel, gave a real good vibration. Repeating all this with the right side produced no vibration at all. Had to be the left side shaft or joints. By now all the service writers would suddenly have something urgent to do when I showed up so I went to an independent who replaced the assembly for $220. My wife agrees that it was worth it since now her teeth don't chatter the whole time we're in the car. Careful with that jacking stuff!!
    I had the tire dealer jack the REAR tires off of the ground. They could not get the vibration out with weights. A local frame and axle company said that the inner CVC joints in the front axle were bad. I don't know what the problem is and can't get the dealer to work on the car. I can't afford to experiment.
    >started the engine, shifted to drive and ran the speed to 30 mph (the other front wheel was on the concrete and not turning) so the elevated wheel was doing 60. The left front, with or without the tire and wheel, gave a real good vibration. Repeating all this with the right side produced no vibration at all. Had to be the left side shaft or joints. By now all the service writers would suddenly have something urgent to do when I showed up so I went to an independent who replaced the assembly for $220

You verified what someone else had already reported. Good for you. ANd I'm glad you were analytical enough in your procedure that you found the vibration. Many people don't realize that in a differential setup, one wheel free is turning twice the speed of the speedometer. So it can be very dangerous.

I also would worry about hanging the wheel free, because the CV joint is flexing more than its usual amount. I would have supported the A-arm some. But I'm glad you found the problem.

What I would do is submit a copy of the bill to the service manager, not the writers, the service manager. Along with the copy I"d list the times you were in and what you told them to check.

I'd also submit the bill directly to Buick by certified mail. I would suspect $220 may show up in your mailbox as goodwill payment. I remember when I disassembled my 67 Mustang because it kept freezing up after a long drive. Ford paid me for the damaged piston and required new gaskets for rebuilding the motor. They did keep the damaged piston.
    I should have included in my explanation that I used a floor jack under the front suspension systems and that the axle and joints weren't hanging free, You're right, if they are hanging free you would be so far out of the usual running position that you could get vibrations from an assembly which does not have a problem.
    In my case the problem was the left inner CV joint and I was told that the joint itself wasn't available, that the whole assembly was the only way to go. The price for the assembly was $120 with $100 labor. Don't expect that at the dealer. I told the service writer at the dealer that I was sure of my diagnosis but he would only agree to check for vibrations, which was a repeat of what they had already done. At that point I decided to go elsewhere and was happily surprised with the estimate.
    >I used a floor jack

Thank you. I feel safer for you.

I still would hassle the dealership about a refund of cost.
  • I went to my local Buick dealer (Not where I bought my 06) with the invoice for the work I had done at the independent shop and. what do you know ! I'm assured that I will receive a check for the full amount in the next few days. Good for GM !!
  • bill5983bill5983 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my Lucerne, what size are the rubber washers, did you use one on each bolt, and did you put them on to the plate that the brake and gas pedal are mounted on? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • jbrich67jbrich67 Posts: 1
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner-- I don't visit the forum much anymore since we got rid of our lemon. I'll go ahead and answer your question -- maybe it will help someone else.
    If you are having vibration and clunking problems with your Lucerne and no one seems to be able to fix it -- get rid of it! We had ours to the dealer 10 times for those problems, we had about 4 sets of tires, replaced half shaft in the steering, numerous tire rotations, road force balancing, etc. Also unrelated-- the driver's door handle fell off, the stereo blew up and the mechanism that controls the driver's seat and the driver's mirror went bad. This was over a period of 23 months -- we tried to work with the dealer to resolve and we tried to work with a GM troubleshooter to resolve but got nowhere and used lemon law as a last resort.

The most important thing to do is take the car in to the dealer immediately when you notice the problem and make sure it is well documented - particularly mileage because they will charge you for usage even if you win. We were outside of the statute of limitations when our case got to hearing BUT because the problem started with low miles, our usage fee was nominal (we had over 40,000 on it by the time we got to hearing). If you are over a certain amount of miles when you start your case, they'll throw it out. Keep all documentation of any visits to the dealership and make sure they write on them what they did and the service bulletin # if they used one. I also made a spreadsheet with the date, reason for service, how long they had the car, what they did, and mileage each time it went in. This proved to be very helpful when it came time for hearing preparation. We hired an attorney but went through the BBB arbitration process (I think GM requires that). The attorney did a lot of the contact work with the BBB but you can definitely do this yourself. It is actually set up to be used by the consumer. Basically, the case is opened up online, you send in all of your documentation when they ask you to and then they decide if you have a case. If you do, they set up hearing at their office (we went downtown Pittsburgh because that's where I work). Our attorney was there, a volunteer arbiter from the BBB, and a GM rep was on conference call. I spoke for my husband and I because I was the most involved with the ordeal. The GM rep stated her case, I stated mine. The arbiter asked questions of both of us and then the GM rep was allowed to ask me a couple of questions. The arbiter has the option to drive the vehicle -- he did in our case. When we got back, we called the GM rep back and had closing comments. It took almost two weeks for the arbiter to make a decision but he ruled in our favor and GM had to reimburse us for the full amount that we paid for the vehicle. We did not get attorney fees because the BBB feels that an attorney is not necessary to use their system. It is not necessary if you are well prepared on your own-- in our case, I could have done it myself-- our attorney was more hinderance than help most of the time.

My parents just bought a 2010 CXL (much to my chagrin) but we'll see if it's any better than our 2006.

Good luck to anyone who opts to go lemon law -- it can be done! I'll be glad to give further advice if anyone needs it.
    Do you have the address of Buick in Detroit and name of the person with whom you spoke? Was your car a V6 or V8. I have a V8.

Does anyone know the TSB for bad engine mounts? I have seen a few posts regarding mis-designed engine mounts, but I cannot find a TSB about this. Dealer
    said they cannot find it either.
    Do you know the TSB for the bad engine mounts? I know you have a V6, but I wonder if it will apply to a V8 as well.
    well the dealer did find that I had 2 bad wheel bearing hub assemblies and 2 bad axles. This did help my vibration tremendously. However, I still have vibration on
    acceleration. The dealer did find that my engine mount "strap" was wrong and they adjusted that, but I still feel the vibration, maybe even more so now. I am not even
    sure why there is a "strap" on this car. Seems the mounts should auto-align the engine/xmission without some adjustable part. Well that's another top in itelf.....

Can bad engine/xmission mounts cause the axles and bearings to go bad? I would think so since the flex would stress the axles and thus the bearings, but just trying to get another opinion. It seems very strange that 2 hub bearings and axles all go bad within 40K miles. I really think the mounts are bad. I assume this "strap" was incorrect since day 1 since I never had any work done on it until it was recently adjusted which leads to my next question.........if the "strap" was incorrect and my engine/xmission was flexing to much, can this wear out the dampening of the engine mount rubber? I would think so, but again I want another opinion. I think the dealer is checking the mounts and if they don't see a tear or leak, they assume the mount is good? Besides a visual tear or leak, how else can an engine/xmission mount be tested? I think maybe the dampening of the mounts is shot especially since the "strap" was not correct.

Thanks!!!