Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne Vibration Problems

Comments

• rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    I hope you're right about the no charge. Sometimes there are hidden charges in the agreements that you don't realize, especially if there's a settlement by the manufacturer.
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    Has anyone had problems with brake vibrations? Mine has had that issue 2 or 3 times already, and I can feel it coming on yet again. I have about 26,000 miles on my CXS, much of it highway mileage. I've never had this type of problem consistently before, and I'm wondering if it's just an unlucky problem with my specific car, or something that is happening for the model.
  • Glad your problem got taken care of, Walt. I am a little confused tho ... if the problem was the CC mounting and not the CC itself, then why did they replace the CC? It kinda sounds as tho the problem was related to the one in post #145 after all, as the only problem I can think of is that the torquing (rotation) of the engine (and resulting movement of everything attached to it) upon acceleration from a stop was causing the CC to touch the chassis momentarily and transmit vibration ... Dave
  • Anyone know if GM took care of this vibration issue for 07' model??? Anyone with an 07' that is having same problem? Thanks for any help.
  • Buick never acknowledged that the post #145 Lucerne vibration issue was a general problem, just an occasional problem when pertinent tolerances all added up the wrong way, I guess. So, I doubt that anything was done about it for 2007 models. They DID acknowledge a problem with 1 of the 4 2006 engine/xmission mounts, and redesigned it. Replacing that mount, however, didn't help my particular vibration problem, as described in post #145. I'm pretty satisfied with the 'QUIETness" of my 2006 Lucerne now, but still feel they did an inadequate job isolating engine noise from the cabin, a job they did splendidly in my 1999 LeSabre Ltd. The good news is that they did a good job reducing wind noise in the Lucernes.
  • No, they have not taken care of the vibration issue. I took delivery of a 2007 Lucerne CXL and I have a very noticeable vibration that begins mostly above 40 mph and continues on up through 70 to 75 mph. Dealer has had it almost as much as I have. They have replaced drive shafts, done alignment, replaced the tires and road forced balanced, which seemed to make it worse. The new tires helped some, but it is still there. They let me drive a 2008, and it doesn't feel much better. I would be happy to hear if anyone has solved this problem.
  • This is clearly a DIFFERENT vibration problem than the one described in posts #145 & #172, which occurred only during momentary rotation/(torquing of the engine on the engine mounts during initial acceleration (problem since corrected). I have never had your particular vibration problem, as my '06 CX is quite smooth at the speeds you mention. Good luck finding someone here with the experience/insight to address your particular problem. I'm sure you are very frustrated with this.
  • zstszsts Posts: 1
    Finally after the third time in the shop for vibration and other front-end suspension noises they replaced the stabilizer bar linkage, strut mounts and intermediate steering shaft. So far this has taken care of all my vibration and noises I’ve had. Hope this helps someone else.
  • edub708edub708 Posts: 11
    My 2007 CXS has a vibration issue from 40-up. I have had the tired balanced 2 times already. I will take it to the delaer now. Also, I hear a tick in the engine. You cannot hear the tick unless you open the hood since the car is pretty quiet. But when the hood is open, you can clearly hear it. I think the Lucerne has many manufactiruing isses based upon what I have been reading. I wish I did more homework before spending the money. Good thing is I am still under 1 year and not close to 12K miles. If they cannot fix it in 3 tries, I will get legal counsel to have GM buy the car back under the lemon laws.
  • tbird007tbird007 Posts: 1
    In my initial test drive of my new 2007 Buick Allure CXL (Lucerne in the US) I noted a vibration in the steering and seat at 60 - 70 mph. I was informed by the dealer this would be taken care of. However, after a wheel balance and replacement of tires with Michelin the vibration did not disappear.
    GM was contacted and their response was that this was a 'normal characteristic of the vehicle" and asked me to 'accept the diagnosis given'. I am not satisfied after paying over $38,000.00 and expect GM to correct the problem. I have owned several Buicks and other GM products over the past 40 years have never encountered this before.
    I have submitted a complaint to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board in hope that I will take into consideration my complaint from day one, that GM has been aware of this problem for some time (according to messages provided above), and that I was not informed of this possible design flaw.
  • I think you are absolutely correct and in the right. I've had vibration problems with my 2006 Lucerne CX (now 36K miles), but yours is certainly not one of them. I've read in this and other Forums that others have had your vibration problem, even after changes tires, but don't recall if/how they were resolved. Good luck!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    Have the wheels and tires balanced by a Hunter 9700 RoadForce balancer with a knowlegeable operator. Have the alignment set precisely to the recommend settings. That should fix your LaCrosse/Allure.

This message has been approved.

I had my tires balanced, no improvment. I then had them road forced balanced and it turned out 2 bad tires. The other 2 tires were ok. Got 2 new tires and they were road force balanced, still vibration. I test drove 3 2008 CXS at the dealer and they were worse than my car with respect to vibration. I then went to Bridgestone since I have the EL400-02 245/50/18 tires. They did another road force balance and it was better but still a vibration. I begged to get the Michelin tires and I was told "that is not an approved tire in this size". I was about to buy some Michelins HX MXM4 245/50/18 tires, but they are about $1000.00 for a set of 4 and I spent enough on the car. GM is ignoring its customers. I was always loyal to GM but no more!!! In short, GM cannot help me so now I will get a lemon law case opened. Does anyone know if you are entitled to a full refund in lemon law cases??? I wonder how long it takes to be resolved. I think everyone should start doing lemon law cases so GM can wake up. Ashame they will have to spend over $30K when all they had to sepdn was $1K on tires.
    Which Michelin tires was tried??? For the CXL 17" tires it seems GM will try those but not the CXS 18" tires. Seems most had success with Michelin HX MXM4 tires. I assume your sire is 235/45/17.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    When the Bridgestone dealer RoadForce balanced, did they tell you the amount of error in the tires? Example, my Michelins all checked below 10 units except one was 12. The dealer said the ram-tested tires GM shipped for replacements at the tie the frame stiffness was becoming a factor showing the bad tire construction were showing up to 18 or a number like that. IOW, a good tire fixes the problem.

In my opinion the Firestone/Bridgestone tire people have a vested interest in not trying to replace tires if the best new tire is going to have a substantial amount of RoadForce out-of-roundness.

Others have mentioned a change in a motor/transmission mount affected the vibration they were feeling on Lucernes.

What has happened is the moving parts on the wheels that hold the wheels in place have gotten lighter. This means less mass to hold the tire in place as it wants to move up and down due to the out-of-roundness. The stiffer chasses also transmit the feel more. This has shown the poor tire construction of some companies.

This message has been approved.

I don't know, but I will go back and have them do it again and tell me the info. What is the accepted road force balance value for CXS so it will not vibrate??? I am almost certain it is the tires as it has improved by some degrees when I had various balances and drive for a short while although never vibrationless. I really like the car but this vibration I will not accect and I am certainly not about to spend $1K to get the proper tires.
    I just setup an appt for tomorrow at 10am. I requested to have a pre and post printout of each tire results. I just need to know what is a "good tire" for the Lucernce in terms of the results.
    Well my vibration issue driving at speeds higher than 40MPH was fixed. It turns out I had 2 bad tires and when the 2 new replacement tires came in, they replaced the 2 good tires with the 2 new tires leaving the 2 bad tires on the car. Anyway, once I got the 2 new tires
    actually replacing the 2 bad tires, smooth!!! However, there is a another issue. I couldn't tell due to the bad tires, but when I go over bumps, there is some sort of resonating vibration for about 1.5sec or so after the bump. I think it resembles a tuning fork being being struck against something. Since I needed my car, I have setup an appt with the dealer to test drive another CXS to see how it handles. I wonder how good the MRC on this car was designed or if mine actually has some issue. A car should not wobble/resonate after going over a bump. I would expect a nice smooth ride since it supposedly adjusts many many time per sec.

Anyone else epxericence this feeling in their CXS??? The CXL does not drive like this as I have driven those a couple times. My tires were so bad I didn't notice this. At least I can drive on the highway now without vibration except when I hit a decent size bump. Then wobble shake.........
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Posts: 122
    Have you tried checking the tire pressure? A tire installer inflated mine to 38 lbs. and after going over bumps it rang like a bell. I set the pressure back to 30 and no more ringing.
  • jbrichjbrich Posts: 23
    I just won my lemon law arbitration case for front end vibration on my '06 CXL. Still awaiting the settlement numbers from GM but it should be everything that I paid for the last 21 months, plus my original trade-in, downpayment, and TTL. They also have to pay your attorney fees if you use one (over and above your settlement). DO NOT use one of those lemon law attorneys that are advertised. They take a percentage of your settlement. GM requires you to go through the BBB Auto Line if you wish to pursue a lemon law case. You can do it yourself online if you want to. We had an attorney (whose only value was the day of the hearing), otherwise I spoon fed him everything - even definitions of the PA lemon law. I am extremely pleased with the way the BBB handled our case. If you want any more info. let me know. Good Luck!

BTW - over the last 21 months, I have had 3 sets of tires, two RoadForce balances, numerous balancing and alignment attempts, steering half shaft, rotors turned (20K mi.), rotors replaced (40K mi), new stereo (CD quit working), new seat module (memory seat went haywire), and new driver side mirror (memory went haywire).