Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Transmission Problems

flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
Hi. I have the automatic in my 2006 hatchback...it is suppose to have only 4 speeds/gears...mine shifts 5 times! I know when a car shifts and the tach. changes speed as well. I have a 5 speed gearbox! Does anyone else have this in there automatic?
I thought it was a 5sp in the stick shift only. But I hit 5th gear at like 50mph. Do I have an odd model? Or is this in everyone elses automatic? The sticker says 4sp automatic. I sure am not getting a 5sp mpg! Still getting 18mpg if I drive like an old lady. I tried having fun in the car...I got 16mpg on that tank of gas! So..it's old lady driving for me again. but...anyone else notice they have 5 speeds in their automatic? :confuse:

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    1-2-3-4-torque converter lock up (feels like 5 gears)
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    Definitely the torque convertor locking up at 45 mph or so. Has been normal to feel an extra "shift" on most automatics since late '80s or early '90s.

I would bring the car back to the dealer on the mileage issue. City driving or not, no 2300 lb. car should get only 16-18 mpg. There may be a computer reset procedure that was never done before delivery that needs to be performed.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    Guess it has been so long since I had an automatic, I dont ever recall this torque lock up feeling. Must be a Chevy thing. All my Fords that were automatic,if they had 4 speeds, thats all i ever felt,4 speeds. This lockup drops the tach down by over 500rpms,sure feels like an extra gear. But if you all say so. I guess it must be right. :confuse: I agree about the mileage thing. I have to take it in and see if there is a computer problem. I can hear them now,'it hasnt broken in yet...',but I bet it is running rich in the fuel mix. I hope!
    But it seems nearly eveyone here has poor mileage,even the reviews on the Aveo says it has poor mileage for such a small car. Oh how I miss my shot at a Yaris! Even at $3,000 more!
  • flaaveo: "Hi. I have the automatic in my 2006 hatchback...it is suppose to have only 4 speeds/gears...mine shifts 5 times! I know when a car shifts and the tach. changes speed as well. I have a 5 speed gearbox! Does anyone else have this in there automatic?
    I thought it was a 5sp in the stick shift only. But I hit 5th gear at like 50mph. Do I have an odd model? Or is this in everyone elses automatic? The sticker says 4sp automatic. I sure am not getting a 5sp mpg! Still getting 18mpg if I drive like an old lady. I tried having fun in the car...I got 16mpg on that tank of gas! So..it's old lady driving for me again. but...anyone else notice they have 5 speeds in their automatic?"

I don't have an answer for your low gas mileage but I do have a theory about your "5th" gear.

The '06 models are equiped with an electronic throttle instead of the throttle-by-wire system found in the '04 and '05 models. This is what I've noticed on my '06: The car actually only has 4 gears but when it reaches a certian speed the ECU or electronic throttle control goes into a kind of cruise state.

As far as your gas mileage issue, I would take the car to a dealer and have them retune/reflash the ECU.
    Every automatic I've driven since the early 90s has had the same sensation of an extra shift at around 45 mph and none of them have had electronic throttle (including my 04 Aveo). It has a locking torque convertor which "locks" and eliminates slippage when the computer decides conditions are optimal. On hard acceleration to merge into speeding highway traffic, that "last shift" may not occur until 65 mph.

Try tapping the brake lightly once the car is at speed and after that "last shift". If it feels like a downshift, that's the torque convertor unlocking -- they're designed to do that.

It probably won't affect you in FL, but in cold weather, the auto trans won't shift into 4th until the engine reaches a certain temperature. It is a built-in feature to minimize emissions. My parking spot is too far away to start the car and go inside to let it warm up, so it takes about 1 1/2 miles of driving before it'll upshift to 4th when it's below freezing.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Posts: 161
    I assume that the convertor locking up makes for better mileage. The engine speed goes down by at least 500rpm's when it kicks in. It locks in at 45-50mph. God knows this car needs all the help it can get to get better milage!
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    I have *never* felt a sensation of a torque converter locking up in almost 30 years of driving mostly automatics. On AT cars with a tachometer, I can sometimes see the rpms decrease as the lockup occurs, but I've never actually felt it.

If you can feel it on your car, maybe the torque converter is not working properly. If it is slipping too much while you're not locked up, that would explain your poor fuel economy.

Bottom line- have the dealer do a complete inspection of the tranny including torque converter.
    I have *never* felt a sensation of a torque converter locking up in almost 30 years of driving mostly automatics.

Apparently, different people experience this differently. I have ALWAYS felt the lock-up in automatics I have owned or driven in the last 15 years from sub-compacts to full-size vans, from brand-new to very used.

The sensation feels like another shift, but a bit gentler and usually between 40-50 mph unless under hard acceleration to merge from an off-ramp or up a hill, in which case it could be 60+ mph.

Ditto for downshifts, as in climbing a hill -- as the engine loses power, you'll initially feel what seems to be a downshift, while in reality you're still in top gear but the torque convertor has unlocked to allow slippage and more torque for climbing.
  • we have a 2006 aveo hatchback that only has 5800 miles on it
    when we drive it the transmission wont go in overdrive until you reach 60-62 mph this only happens until it gets warm has anyone else had this problem? the dealership can't find anything wrong with it.
    In cold weather, it's normal to stay in 3rd gear until a certain engine temperature is reached. This is to reduce emissions and is a feature of other cars as well.

If the temp is below 35-40° F, my car won't upshift to 4th gear and then overdrive for the first mile or so. At sub-freezing temperatures, it's even longer.

If that is what you're referring to, the transmission is supposed to do this.
  • what I don't understand is: : why is it just now acting this way it's been cold here (ky) for a while now the transmission has only acted up 5x that's what's disturbing us about it ">
    It shouldn't just happen intermittently -- there's probably some problem. If the dealer can't/won't resolve it, call GM at the number in the warranty manual.

Make sure to note all the details when the issue occurs so the dealer can recreate those conditions.
  • Thanks, I'll try contacting GM, as the dealership says they can't find anything wrong, they put the computer on it noting wrong so they say.
  • Hi, I am hoping that someone may know what the problem is... When I took the Aveo for a test drive prior to purchaseing, i noticed that it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd, and then from 3rd to 4th. I mentioned this to the saleswoman, and she had a quick word with the service guys, and they said that if it persists, to bring it in. Anyway, I have now owned the Aveo for a week, I drove it to work Monday to Friday, with no noticable problems shifting. My wife decided to take it to an appointment today, and called me from the parking lot saying she had the same problem shifting as I did while test driving it. I told her i would take it in to have it looked at when she got home. She got home, and i asked if she was still haveing problems shifting, and she said that it wasn't as bad as when she went to her appointment. I then took it to my dealership, and found i had no problems shifting. The service guy said that unless i was having problems, there really wasn't anything he could do. Anyway, i drove around town with no shifting problems. Does anyone know if this is something that goes away? or is there something actually wrong with the car? The weather has been a little colder than usual. I live on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. And by reading the previous posts, sounds like the weather has something to do with it. the car is a manual trans. does the same problem that automatics have occur with the man trans too??

Any advice, and help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I purchased a '07 Aveo with a Manual transmotion Last Sept. And I also had some trouble shifting, after driving for a while it loosens up and gets easier. I think after a month there was a noticable difference. And now with 6,000 miles its nice and smooth.
  • angela50angela50 Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 Aveo when test driving the car there was a little grinding noise in the car going from 10 mph to 20 mph I asked the salesman what was that and he said the it was because the car was a little cold and it would go away. I have owned this car for 3 weeks now and it is doing the same thing, while driving the grinding vibration starts at 10 mph and goes on 20, 30 and 40 mph, it will sometimes go away when I press on the gas petal a couple of times is feels like a gear is messed up but this is an auotmatic transmission? go figure, and while on the freeway at 60 to 65 it is a steady grinding vibrating, i took it to the dealer and they said that it was the tires, no, when i bought this car it was doing the grinding vibration I bought new tires and it still does the same grinding vibration and only when i am eccelarating the dealer say they can't find anything wrong I know that there is something wrong i can feel it when I am driving this car Is there anyone out there that can help me with this :cry:

thank you Angie
    Grinding vibration noise in Aveo :cry:
    Does the vibration stop completely when you take your foot off the gas?

Mine is a 2004 with A/T and it makes a grinding noise and has vibration from barely rolling up to highway speed. It does this ALL the time, though, not just accelerating. My mechanic checked all the wheel bearings twice and found no problem. It started after rotating my rear tires to the front -- he says that there is excessive runout in the tires, but not the wheels.

I would have an independent mechanic check the entire suspension, axles, CV-joints and wheels to find the problem and then have the dealer fix it if you have any type of warranty with this car. Also, check for a broken motor mount.
  • pbolpbol Posts: 15
    I will tell you again the aveo is picky on the tires you choose,I purchased some very good performance tires and it has no more issues,look for a very soft tread like a snow tire.The rubber on the stock tires are to hard.
  • akveevoakveevo Posts: 12
    I was wondering the same thing. I bought a left over 2006 Aveo 5 speed manual. Trouble shifting as well. I called Chevy and they said that for the 1st 500 to 1500 miles the car is in 'training mode'. I am now at 1700 miles and all gears seem to be shifting better. :)
  • my aveo hand 128mils on it win i bot it now it has 39006m on it not even a year
    i paided $2000 for a clutch at 8800m now 31000m later i'm putting in a new clutch
    for $1200 agin chevrolet say's that its my falt for it. now look i know how to drive my boss at my construstion job lats me drive the 7speed bom truck and u have to doulbe clutch it just to go from 1st to 2nd and on top of that i got the warrenty and extended warrenty but nope it my fault so y did i by this car oh ya becus the computer over the weeked say'ed i can have a ues'ed metro for $150a month so they call me in to force me into a new aveo that it will last... not!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: