Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    Hello Chev4,
    I apologize that you have experienced a concern with your vehicle. Have you taken the vehicle in to be diagnosed? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • I have a '09 Aveo and have been looking for similar experiences to to a recurring problem I am having. At the most dangerous of times, my '09 Aveo loses power. I am stepping on the gas pedal, either accelerating or when maintaining a steady speed and the Aveo slows. The car never stalls completely, but finally kicks back in. At that time the tach drops to normal levels as though it has finally gone into gear. No other warning lights appear. This has happened in both hot and cooler weather, with different types of gas and yes, with a full tank. It will occasionally go for a period of time without an issue, then a period with many incidents. I've had it into the dealer twice to no avail. In a 10 mile test drive, the dealer couldn't replicate the issue and without a "computer code" the dealer can and has done nothing to resolve.
  • I have an 09 Aveo also and I've experienced where the engine loses power at the worst times. Mine happened in the middle of rush hour on the free way. I had to come to a complete stop and start the car back up. It happened a few more times also. My dealer also couldn't replicate the issue and did nothing to help. I also have the issue where I recently had my oil changed and at 15K miles, my transmission fluid already looks dirty enough that the transmission fluid needs to be flushed and refilled. At 15K miles... According to the manual, it should last until 50K miles... I still have to get it checked out, though.
    daneo233,
    I would definitely take it in to the dealer. Can you please email me your complete contact info including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your Edmunds username (or a link to this page). I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I bought my aveo in 2006 and now I can't shift it out of park.I brought it back to the dealer,they replaced the shift assembly.It worked for 2 day's and back to square 1.If there is someone that can help ,it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Our automatic transmission is losing fluid and yet there are no exterior leaks of fluids under the car. Still under warranty so not a major issue from a cost perspective but I wonder if anyone else has had this issue? If so what was the cause?
  • For an automatic transmission to be losing fluid, there must be a leak. Since it is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them find the problem.
  • sonia96sonia96 Posts: 2
    We have a 2004 Chevy Aveo that has 3 codes that keep coming up. They are P0300, P0700, and P1781. We have had the valves ground, done a crank sensor variation relearn, and someone had previously replaced the ecm and we had it reprogrammed by a dealer but so far and nothing has fixed it.
  • Sonia96, does the check engine light flash and the transmission not go into the higher gears?
    If so, I've had the same problem, and GM keeps telling me about their technical bulletin that would cost $2000.
    Right now I keep a code clearer in the car and clear it every time I want to go over 70kph. The car kicks into the higher gears then.
    I've been doing this for almost 2 years now with no consequences other than the inconvenience of the constant beeping of the code reader/clearer and the flashing light.
    Soon I'll be trading this POS in and will abandon the GM brand all together based on this experience.
  • sldmhsldmh Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    I have a 2009 Aveo 4 door with hatchback I bought brand new in April 2010. We have had TONS of issues with it. It had a battery leak due to a bad weld job that cracked the battery and acid went throught the engine area (and all over our new home's garage and drive) All the front end has been replaced from the axle, cv boots, lower control arms (just replaced yesterday). This has been an ongoing issue with mulitple trips to the dealer and stays in the shop.
    Now--new issue---hubby was driving home in stop and go traffic and the car just stopped moving. It was reving up but the car was out of gear so he and his car pool buddy pushed it off the road, shut it off, and then tried to restart it but it did not want to start back up. They walked around it to see if they could see if anything was leaking and looked under the hood and seen nothing out of the ordinary. They got back in and it finally started up after 10 miniutes or so and all was fine. Took it to the dealer and when I checked in the guy popped the hood and pulled out the transmission fluid dip stick. He said "No freaking way" over and over again as he put drops of the fluid on his paper and smelled it. He said that the fluid was WAY DARK and smelled burnt and there is no way a car with less the 15,000 miles on it should have that kind of transmission fluid.

Well they kept the car overnight called me today to tell me to come and get it that there is nothing wrong with it. That " the tech is unable to verify concern, scanned for codes and bullentines and found none" so therefore there is nothing wrong with it. Next time it jumps out of gear to push the onstar button and have it towed to them and they will see if they can figure it out next time. I have a handicap son and we use that car since it gets great gas mileage to get to the doctor appointments farther away and I do not want to break down on the freeway with him. After reading that our LEMON CHEVY is not alone with this issue you would think GM would stop covering up the issue and recall them.
    (ok wishful thinking but it would be the right thing for GM to do)

Hope I get a response from GM as others have with an explaination why there is mulitple complaints of the same issue but nothing on the computer about it so the dealerships can see it IS a problem with this model car and can actually fix it.

EDIT: I forgot to add when I got the papers when I picked up the car it has a small hand written note on there that says "TRANS SEEPAGE" I did not notice it until later so I called back and the guy said oh I forgot to tell you about that. It is normal for a transmission to leak but if you are concerned we will rechecked at your next oil change in 3,000 miles.
  • sonia96sonia96 Posts: 2
    Yes! That is exactly what we are dealing with. A Chevy Aveo is definately a POS! Steer clear! DO NOT BUY ONE!!!
  • KonstantineKonstantine Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    Hi Sonia, as I said I picked up a code reader/clearer
    link(got it on sale for %50 off)
    I plug this in and erase the error while I'm driving. Works like a charm. (Which is more than I can say for this decrepid model of a car). :lemon:
    Have you experienced that issue again? If you have not experienced the issue again, I would recommend waiting until your next visit to the dealership as they advised. I can also look into the issue for you. In order to do so I will need the VIN for the vehicle as well as your name, address, phone number, and current mileage. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • sldmhsldmh Posts: 2
    We traded the piece of junk off!!!! :) We printed the complaints I found online forums and the 38 complaints off of the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin (filed a complaint as well supplied my VIN to them) took all those complaints that were like our to the dealership and they said "we can't do anything until Chevy/GM issue are repair bulletin. No repairs can be made under warranty work for the Transmission Seepage either due to the wording in the GM Warranty Guide Lines. The wording says a leak is something that has a drip. The tech listed it as seepage so therefore not covered under GM warranty"

So goodbye GM you will never have our business again. We only lost $500 off of our trade. We bought it NEW for $9000 trade in was $8500. When we bought it there was over $3500 in rebates on the Aveo. Now we own a Ford Fiesta 2011--lots up upgrades for only out of pocket cost of $3500. (power everything, satellite radio, spoiler, heated seats and mirrors, ambient lighting (makes the inside pretty colors at night)) It also gets GREAT gas mileage compared to the AVEO--city for the last week has been an average of 33 MPG. Haven't done highway mileage yet but YEAH SO HAPPY--no more breakdown's, no more "gear searching", no more shop days for front end rebuilds! TRADE OFF YOUR AVEO's and stay away from GM/Chevy.
  • sandmythsandmyth Posts: 1
    This! this has started happening to my girlfriends 08 aveo. Engine light is for crankshaft sensor. She had her Tranny replaced 8000-10000 miles ago under powertrain.
  • abb07aabb07a Posts: 2
    Hi sonia96 , I have the exact same problem with my aveo 2004.
    Did you fix the problem?
    please let me know ?
    Thank you
  • KonstantineKonstantine Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Look @ responses # 103 & 106.
    I have been searching the internet everywhere for this issue and have not found another solution than this....
  • I am having the exact same problem on the same model (09 Aveo). The dealer has also not been able to replicate. Whate was the resolution?
  • abb07aabb07a Posts: 2
    I did not find any solution, sorry. This car have a lot of problems and was low rated.
  • kl365kl365 Posts: 1
    I'm also having issues with our 2011 automatic Aveo (team canada edition). The best way to describe the issue is that it seems to either start in 3rd gear (absolutely no power from a cold start until about 60km/hr) or it slips from 1st to 3rd (hits ~20km/hour then just completely bogs down till it hits 60km/hr).

We've had it into the shop and the only way the techs could recreate anything like it was to manually activate the hold button. I know 100% for sure that we're not hitting the hold button at any time; the light on the dash is very visible when it is on. Since the vehicle has been returned from the dealership this issue has happened at least 2-3 times a day and I've verified every single time that the HOLD light is not on.

I'd think it was a temperature issue but it doesn't matter if you've been driving for 30seconds or 30 minutes, it's completely intermittent and impossible to recreate. I can start from a deadstop and it will happen, immediately stop and try again then it won't.

To top it off my brand new aveo gets about 25% less gas mileage than my 11 year old Toyata Echo which I'm sure is tied into these transmission issues. Sorry but in no way should the same 400km trip take almost 1/2 tank more gas in my Aveo than my Echo (exact same gas tank size).
  • We have the exact problem with our '09 Aveo. We bought it for our two college age daughters and I am afraid to let them drive it. Yesterday, it didn't even make it up the block before it started losing power. My daughter stepped harder on the gas, and the rpm's go up, but the car continues to slow down. They it suddenly "catches" and shoots forward. This can happen several times a day for weeks, and then not at all for weeks. It has been to the dealership four times. Twice they kept it for several days. They do not see anything in the codes and say they can not replicate the problem when driving. I've read of others having this problem. What is Chevy going to do about it?
  • I read on Edmunds their going to discontinue the Aveo (rumor only) if so there's going to be a newer model with a different name but same problems I really don't think theirs much that can be done. For your sake I hope I'm wrong. If I could afford it, I'd trash mine in a New York second. Good Luck!
  • I just bought a 2011 Aveo Hatchback in April. I couldn't get it out of park a few times, took it to the dealership where they supposedly changed the shifting gears.... that was 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago, it happened again.
    I am trying to research to see how many aveo owners are having this issue.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    Just a guess... you usually don't set the parking brake? Automatic transmissions have parking pawls that engage when the car is in park. The pawl locks the driving wheels while in park. If you're on a grade, it's going to take more pressure to get the car out of park. I'm kind of surprised the dealership "did something" rather than remind you to set the parking brake, especially on a hill.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• This won't matter at all and has nothing to do with it. You obviously will have stepped on the brake before you shift it out of park, especially when parked on a hill. At that point all the brakes are engaged, even more than if you had had the parking brake set (which only affects 2 out of 4 of the wheels).
  • I set the parking brake when my car is parked on an incline. I would imagine that's a no brainer, so the dealership never even asked if I did it. The car has been stuck in park in both situations, level ground and incline... with and without the parking brake on. When I called the dealership letting them know that the problem occurred again and that I was researching on the internet they said they didn't sell too many Aveo's and asked if I'd seen any solutions. Since my car is a 2011, I can now see that this has been an issue for a couple of years with the Aveo. Guess I should have done the research BEFORE buying the car. :cry:
  • My mother gave me her 04 Aveo when she decided she needed a bigger car back in the winter of 2009. At that point, I believe she had had the engine replaced as part of a recall.

It worked great for me from December 2009-August 2011,when the transmission just decided to stop working. I'm currently trying to save up to get it fixed--I'm told it'll cost $1800 to replace it, but I'm wondering if it is worth it? I love my little car, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    Well if it were really clean and otherwise in excellent operating order, it might be worth it, but if its shabby and has dents and ripped seats or needs 4 tires, a new window and the AC is busted----then, I'm not so sure I'd fix it. You could probably by a very decent good running one for $3000 --$3500.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Q: I don't want to have to resort to the GM parts & services if not absolutely necessary. My automatic 2005 Chevy Aveo LS requires T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM pt. # 88900925) and an unknown GM Transmission filter. I want to be good to my Aveo and use Royal Purple Max ATF and their filter, but I don't know if that'd be even possible.

Does anyone know FOR A FACT what alternates if any to the T-IV AITP TRAN OIL are more then acceptable.?????
  • Does anyone know FOR A FACT what alternates if any to the T-IV AITP TRAN OIL are more then acceptable.?????

Yes, "for a fact" you can (and should) buy this: Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF. Buy the gallon, which comes in a big, red jug. You will need more than a quart if your are doing a fluid and filter change, so buy the gallon. (Price wise, try Advance Auto as they stock it.)

If you read the back of the container you will note that this is the correct fluid for your Aveo, which is T-IV. T-IV was Toyota's version of ATF that came out after Dexron III, which is a GM formulation that was eventually discontinued. (There is no Dexron IV.) It's basically the same as Dexron III except that T-IV is a partially synthetic fluid.