Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• Ok, yesterday i took off my battery cable to install an amp wire to the positive and after that i started the car and now on the gauge cluster the abs, E-brake and traction control lights will not go off and on my radio it says service traction soon. what does this mean it all happened after i disconnected my battery for an hour. help asap thx !! it is a 2007 Chevy Malibu LT V6 3.5L
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Did you remove the negative wire first, was the key on when you removed the wire.
  • jblaquejblaque Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Malibu that I have had for three years. And within those three years I have had to replace the alternator and the fuel pump. Now here it is the third year that I have had the car another issue. This time the car will start but it shuts off as soon as it is started. The power locks does not work, the inside lights does not work nor does the trunk button works. If I put the car in the on position the gages and lights on the dash takes a while to come on and the radio does not come on. But the weird part is when I try to start the car the radio comes on, when the car shuts back off the radio does not stay on. I have gas in the car but it says that my gas tank is on E. I love my car but it is very obvious that my car hats me. Can someone please tell me what the issue maybe?
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    My daughter's old 98 Malibu LS isn't getting much use lately, and when I went to start it yesterday, it acted up but, did start. I went today and cleaned the battery terminals, removing the negative first with the key in my pocket. The positive wasn't that dirty, but there was corrosion down inside the rubber boot. I cleaned both terminals and the battery connections, the bolts and neutralized the corrosion, oiled the connections and hooked the terminals back up pos first and the the negative. When I went to start it, the gauges jumped all over the place. Finally after a few tries, it did start and I let it idle to charge the battery. While it was idling, I noticed the gas gauge needle is now on the bottom side of the limiting peg. I shut the car off and restarted and the peg only fell straight down, but was stopped when it tried to go up by the peg. Anyone know what caused this and is it fixable or is something broke. Thanks in advance.
    Tried to start the 98 Malibu again yesterday, wouldn't turn over, replaced the battery and all is good. I was able to take a fine wire and going through the same hole the trip odometer reset pin uses, hook the gas gauge needle and get it on the proper side of the limiting peg and it appears to be working okay now.
  • Does anyone else have this problem? My car was parked outside overnight in a very heavy rainstorm and ever since, there has been water inside the right headlight housing (all three lights -- high, low and parking lamps).

The heat of the bulbs burns some of it off, but after I shut everything off it all clouds up again. Think this will cause any problem with (more) corrosion of the electrical contacts and connectors?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    ultimately it will cause an electrical issue. In the short term, it will burn out your bulbs faster and cause reduced lighting at night. Given the amount of water that "ponds" up around the plastic inner lip on these lights when you wash the car, I'm suprised that this has not been a bigger issue for this model. It appears as if your rubber seal has been compromised. "IF" you can find the exact spot where this has occurred, you could put some silicon caulk there to try to mend it. Normally it is a tough fix, and requires a headlight replacement. He, he...I better get rid of mine before that happens to me...........only a week or so away until my new Vibe comes and the Maxx nightmare ends.
  • Hmmm....thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I wonder what these projector-beam beauties cost to replace? $$$$$$$$$$$$ ? :(
  • Looks like retail is $210 each + .6 of an hour labor each side. I'm sure you could do better on the Internet.

These lens covers are pretty sensitive to heat, impact, etc., so it wouldn't take too much to distort, crack, bend them etc.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    aftermarket parts wholesalers have them for $70 each....also so an ebay deal for a pair for $120....what happened with mind is the yellow globes melted through on the top of each globe due to heat of the bulbs from the DRLs..still have the originals headlamp assemblies on....even with the globes melted through.....132K on my Maxx now
  • Ouch! I think I'm going to live with the moisture for a while, until things get critical. So far, the light pattern doesn't seem to be affected too much, at least from what night driving I've done lately.
  • oly3oly3 Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem on a 2005 Malibu. Did you every find out what caused it and how to fix it? thanks
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    Are you guys talking about a fast blinker? I had that on 05 Malibu as well, it's quite simple actually. One of your turn signals burned out or about to. It happened to me once, I replaced the bulb and then it happen again pretty soon. I took out the bulb and looked at the socket. There was a bad connection due to one of the contact plates not being in good contact with the bulb (the plate had some black residue). I cleaned it and used a screwdriver to gently bend the plate into place. That solved it (at least for several months, I sold the car at some point).
    I also seem to remember that GM was replacing the turn signal housing (or some parts in it, can't remember) under warranty.
  • syb1syb1 Posts: 4
    after several attempts of cleaning the contacts the problem kept occuring...finally had my mechanic look at the issue when I had a lof done...He reccomed having the harness unit replaced...

dealer wanted $ 20 for part plus labor...was quoted over $100...for repair...

My mechanic told me to buy the harness and he would splice the job...

total cost was $45.00

no issues since...

hope this helps
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    did you try bending it ? worked for me....
  • oly3oly3 Posts: 2
    I haven't tried to do anything but replace the bulb yet since it just happened. I looked at the socket and I don't see any corrosion, but the plastic amber cover has a hole melted in it and the bulb was warm to the touch after the car had been sitting most of the day. Do you think replacing the socket will fix this?
  • gchinggching Posts: 2
    running lights never go off as well as the dash lights
    short somewhere or what? Help.....
    have to pull fuse to turn off and when i drive at night i have to
    put fuse back in lololol
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    the heat from the bulb tends to melt the amber covering.....simply pinch the contacts together to tighten them..should solve the problem....the contacts loosen over time...and that causes the bulb to short out..
  • gchinggching Posts: 2
    still waiting for a response can anyone help please
    We have a 2004 Malibu classic, the rubber hoses going to the headlight housings have been cut off. What purpose do these serve and where should they be hooked up? What issues can having them disconnected cause? Thanks