Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Transmission

Comments

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Kirstie (Host)

Thank you for your response.

I have an appointment with the selling dealer to have this vehicle serviced for this problem.

Now that the weather is becoming warmer, this problem is becoming more noticeable everyday.

Today, I was entering slow moving highway traffic at 20 mph, and my engine started to surge, because the trans would not down shift to the next lower gear. (If was like "not down shifting" a manual transmission!) ------- This problem is all over the net, and GM does not have a solution to this problem with the 6 speed transmission. ----------- Some owners have experienced total transmission failure. -------- I AM NOT A HAPPY OWNER! This problem started after my vehicle reached 12,500 miles. This IS NOT a good advertisement for GM! I would bet that there are no codes set, because there is no "check engine light ON!" ------- Unless there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" on this issue, the "problem" is going to be VERY difficult to find! ---- General Motors, I liked this vehicle up until this problem. NOW I AM VERY SORRY THAT I MADE THIS PURCHASE! ----- Maybe, if the problem is resolved, I might change my opinion, but as it stands now, I wish I had purchases a Toyota Camry! ---- The Malibu is a beautiful vehicle, but the four cylinder engine and transmission does not come anywhere near to a four cylinder Toyota or Honda with regards to smooth operation!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: :lemon: :mad:
  • I finaaly have a resolution with GM, they would not buy the car back, but we came to a financial resolution thru the lemon law. Keep all paperwork and take notes from all conversations and call GM asistance in Detriot and get a case number asap. Good luck.
  • johns1lawjohns1law Posts: 3
    Ok...car is weeks new, or used however u look at it..It drives like a POS.. I just got ran around for 4 weeks , the dealership acknowledges the abnormality of my car, they see it in other malibus too...yet because a select few drive like the wheel is wobbling , the BIG DOG (GM) has policy that they cant do anything because its normal..So I asked..is it normal to have a car that has shuddering and wheel wobble on take off...> response from Barbara at GM.. "im sorry sir our policy is because others drive like this we cant do anything for you" .. I wasnt asking for the kitchen sink but for a car that I was proud to own..and drive... Neither is farthest from the truth ..This company is indeed a joke..and with customer service like this I can see why they needed extra $$ to cover there mistakes over the past many years.. They build 1000s of reliable vehicles and gloat about it on commericals...yet the ones that are POS they act like they dont care.. Russian roullette..good luck to any persons considering a GM purchase..hope u dont get shot like I just did... I left GM 10yrs ago...i decided to come back ...NEVER again...the squeeky wheel I may be...but if it werent for people speaking up , others may get burned like I just did..I warn others , if you have problems..and so do others... good luck getting resolve.. less its gonna cause serious bodily injury i dont think the company really cares...what a joke.. So i say to GM...good bye, and Ill be sure to let everyone know of my experience with your joke of a company...I feel sorry for all the victims of your faulty produced vehicles ... Sad day for me..I really wanted this to work out...I had belief they would settle (replace tranny or car or fix tranny) my issue... they didnt seem so interested... So i have no regret leaving and not looking back. Just wish i didnt get suckered with coming back...damn marketing..had me beleiving this was too good to be true.. The old saying, if it seems to be , then it probably is.....good luck
    GOOD NEWS! ----- My OUTSTANDING dealer worked VERY hard on this problem and it was corrected! ----- There is an "up-dated software package" from GM that corrects this issue. ---- The 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu now drives like a totally different vehicle. ---- It has power, great acceleration for a 4 cylinder, and I am now getting the advertised fuel mileage. --- I no longer experience the "surging problem!" ---- I am now happy with the vehicle! --- I give total credit to my selling / servicing dealer. Their service department spent hours on this vehicle. ----- Based on this service performance and their customer relations, I would consider purchasing another vehicle from them in the future. They took complete responsibility and made things happen, and for that I am grateful! ------------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • pirates7pirates7 Posts: 1
    Harsh shifting (dead spots - hesitation) between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 for the first two or so miles
    when the engine is cold.
    As expected, dealer denies there is anything wrong.
    Consumer Reports sited this problem when they did their review of the new Cruz.
    The Cruz and Malibu share the same transmission.

pirates7
    Hi Pirates7:
    I have my e-mail address on my profile. ---- E-mail me! ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • chasfchasf Posts: 2
    Have same problem. 2.4L engine. Once car warms up it shifts fine. No stumble. Have had car 5 weeks and thought maybe it would get better. Goes in to dealer tomorrow for this. Will let you know if I get any different answer than you did.
  • chasfchasf Posts: 2
    As promised, a report on by visit to dealer today. They say that my car is shifting normally, even the stumbling on 2-3 shifts before engine/transmission warm up. They say I am not the first person to complain about this and that possibly if enough people complain Chevy may come out with a new calibration to address concerns. Service manager even went out on ride with me to evaluate the car.

A point of reference. My son has a Camaro with 6-cylinder and 6-speed transmission. I have driven his car and it also has the stumble on 2-3 shifts when cold but not as disturbing, probably due to more powerful engine. I related this to service manager and he agrees with my theory.

I feel better knowing that my car is behaving "normally" but not totally pleased with the driving experience. Service manager told me that one customer was so dissatisfied with this problem with 4-cylinder engine that they ended up exchanging car for a 6-cylinder equipped car.
  • johns1lawjohns1law Posts: 3
    glad you feel better, but the answer GM gives as normal for that car.. im floored as to there lack of enthusiasm to help, and I dont foresee the future but if I could id bet the car is never addressed..WHo knows.. I was so unhappy with mine..I SOLD IT.. lost my rear, but letting GM ever burn me again wont happen... Ive had over 15 new model yr cars and some had minor issues, some were perfect , this time was a problem, i gave them opportunity to fix....and theres nothing to fix i suppose , how do u fix a mishap (junk)... obvious they dont know how to and it would be to costly to admit mistake.. look around, read, even my service advisor told me this car is not built well from the tranny up...many many issues... Maybe we got a lemon in the bunch, if that is the case, why does GM say its normal ? Because they are going into lemon production ? I dont figure it out.
  • ep1ep1 Posts: 3
    I also have a Malibu though a 2011 model & experiancing the same problem, my dealer the largest in PA said they are waiting for detroit to come up with a fix he did say they are working to come up with a solution and are flooded with customers complaining with the same issue, would you know what the software package is, or a bullitin?
    Hi ep1:

I DO NOT know the exact software package! ------ The first thing you need to do is to open up a case number with GM. ----- You can contact Customer Relations over the phone and accomplish this task. ---- GM will assign you a case worker. --- Then make an appointment with you dealer, and tell the service advisor that you have a case number. ----- Give the service advisor the name of your Case Worker and the case number. --- This was the action that I took to get my vehicle repaired. ----- I made it VERY CLEAR to the GM Case Worker that I wanted the vehicle repaired in a professional manner. ----- (I MADE IT A POINT TO BE VERY PROFESSIONAL.) ----- I told the Case Worker that I was bringing my vehicle in for service, and I wanted him to work with the dealer to make things happen! ----- I DID NOT FIGHT WITH THE DEALER. ----- I EXPLAINED MYSELF IN A VERY PROFESSIONAL MANNER. It took 12,000 miles for my Malibu to start surging, so something had changed in the vehicle! --------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :) ------
    Hi Chasf:
    Contact GM and open up a "Case Number" then work with both the dealer and GM in a professional manner! ---------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Thanks Dwayne, yes I did contact GM and was assigned a case worker and they have been in contact with the dealer - GM said the dealer hooked the car up to the computer and did some updating with new software!
    So far it feels like it worked the car has less hesitation and flows much better into traffic
    Good Morning ep1:

I am happy that everything worked out well for you with regards to this issue. --------- I have found that everything in life has a process. ------- Dealing with vehicle manufacturers and dealers has it's own process. ----- When you get the factory and the dealer communicating, when dealing with a problem "GREAT THINGS" can happen! ------ The "KEY" to the process is to remain positive, objective and professional throughout the entire process. ------- I found that GM was VERY professional and VERY eager to resolve the issue. --- My dealer is VERY professional and VERY cooperative. ---- In a professional way, I made it VERY clear that something had changed in 12,000 miles to cause my vehicle to start "surging," and I expected everyone to be on the same page to resolve the issue in a professional / timely manner, with a minimum of inconvenience to me the customer. ---- GM and my dealer did an OUTSTANDING JOB, and my Malibu performs in an OUTSTANDING fashion. ------ I am very happy with the quality of the product and the level of professional service, (both by GM and the selling / servicing dealer), so as such, when I replace my 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, I will consider another GM vehicle, POSSIBLY ANOTHER MALIBU! ----- HIGH QUALITY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE SELLS FUTURE VEHICLES!

Best regards! --------- Enjoy your vehicle. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • nick7302nick7302 Posts: 1
    Glad to have found this thread.

2.4L LTZ, 2010, with 22k miles now. Love the car...loathe the transmission. Lately it's been aggressively downshifting when we let off the gas and brake towards a stop or red light. There also is the occasional "torque hole" where we get an RPM rev in between shifts, or overly soft shifts, delays, etc. Car is my wife's daily driver and we have two infants who frequently ride in the back. My wife is not technically proficient, but it is her daily driver, and she says "it used to be smooth all the time, and now it's not." This is our first ever new car...we're young and have no affiliation to GM...in other words; we're the kind of retail buyer that typically leans towards imports and that GM needs most, as we've got plenty of car purchases in our future.

The problem seems to have just gotten worse lately, though of course no warning lights. I wonder if the heat has something to do with it...it's 100 degrees here today so if it's an overheating issue then GM is going to be dealing with lots of warranty issues down the road.

There is also a very informative discussion on this at the Malibu forum: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4843

I'm going to bring it up at the dealer for our 25k service before long to have them take a look, but I really fear the "we can't replicate" or "that is normal" response, since nothing has "failed" and there's no warning lights on. From everything I've read, I don't have much faith that GM knows what is really going on and is able (or willing) to fix this yet.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    when you take it to the dealer, will it definitely aggressively downshift on a short test drive with the service tech driving?
    Good Morning nick7302:

Contact General Motors, and open a "Case Number" with regards to this issue. ------ You will be assigned a "Case Worker" for this problem. ---------- Make a service appointment with your dealer, and give your "Case Number" to the dealer, along with the name and phone number of your "GM Case Worker." -------- BE VERY PROFESSIONAL TO EVERYONE! ----------- (This is NOT the time to loose your temper! Your goal is simply to get your vehicle repaired! That is the approach that I took with both GM and the selling / servicing dealer. When I first took delivery of my vehicle it NEVER got the posted MPG on the highway. ---- When driving at 55 to 65 mph, it felt like I was dragging a Sea Anchor. ------ Once the vehicle reached 12,000 miles, it started to "surge" going up a slight hill, either from a dead stop or traveling on the highway. ------- SOMETHING HAD CHANGED IN THE VEHICLE! --- When dealing with GM, I made it VERY CLEAR IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER that I liked my vehicle, BUT I EXPECTED THAT GM WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM!) ----- Good things will happen! -----My 2010 Malibu LTZ was fixed with an up-dated software pkg.

Best regards.
    Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    Thank you for the above web site its very informative. I recently went through the same thing with GM so try to do the same thing and hold your ground but keep your cool expecially with your dealer dont back down because if you let them they always try to cut cost where they can, they knew there was a problem but they prepped the car and sold it anyway with out saying anything. Their is an updated soft wear out their sorry I have no idea what the name is but was told they did an update, when I drove away I was amazed how much better the car goes through the gears, the gas mileage is a major dissapointment in the city but on the hwy I did 35 miles to the gallon! So dont give up hope be firm and hold you ground and go as high as you need to at your dealer from the service director to the owner untl your satisfied. Good luck and lets us know how you make out!

On another note can you tell me why when its gets darker out and your headlights come on I notice the dash light on the speedometer come on but are very dim until a while latter them they come on brighter - are you also experiancing the same lighted delay?
  • Thanks for the information! I have a 2011 LTZ with the 3.6 and have the same issue as described by many of the 4 cylinder owners. It currently has 3,800 miles and has surged coming off idle since new. Lately though, it can't maintain speed on even a slight expressway uphill grade without downshifting to 5th or 4th gear and has poor (almost no) throttle response unless you put it to the mat. It seems to be worse in hot weather. It is much better in the morning when temps are cooler but still not what it should be. I was very hesitant to buy this car in the first place but made my decision based on price and my $3k in GM card earnings, plus the nice factory rebates they were offering. Now I wish I would have bought something else. Anyway, the dealer gets it tomorrow and we'll see what happens. Thanks for this site!
    Jim in Cincinnati
    Hi Jimmizee:

Contact GM and open a case number for this issue. ---- You will given a case worker for this issue. --- Give this information to the service writer when your vehicle is presented for service. ---- This is a "software issue!" ---- When dealing with GM and your dealer be VERY PROFESSIONAL! ---- Something has changed in your vehicle. My problem did not show up until the vehicle accumulated 12,000 miles, but prior to the surging issue surfacing, it always felt like I was dragging a sea anchor behind the vehicle. The vehicle now drives very smooth. It accelerates great! I am very happy with the performance.

NOTE: My E-mail address is listed should you want to contact me off this site!

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Tranny shift problems are really not a cause for the "Lemon" talk..I did the "GM buyback" route on a 1998 Olds Intrigue which had brake and steering issues..No yelling or screaming, no lawyers, 26k miles and GM bought the car back less $800 off the original sale..I signed the check and gave it back to the dealer and drove away in a 1999 Olds Intrigue w/3.5 V-6, short-star alum engine which was a sweetheart..Yep, it had less issues and was kept for 75k miles, and traded in on the final Olds Intrigue model run 2002..Put 120k on it and traded it on a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which now has 61k..

Most of these 6-spd trannys are somewhat erratic in operation, so keep driving the dealer crazy and load the system with complaints..Copy some of the complaints on this forum and forward them to GM customer service..Be nice, but keep the system flooded..

Owned 53 cars to date and I am a senior citizen, and 34 of cars have been GM, spent 30+ years supplying parts to the Big3 and never ask for a supplier discount, didn't need the charity, and was never under any obligation to any manufacturer..

Gm has a history of lousy 4 cylinder engines using cast components, cheap materials, maybe they are improving, for they watched Honda and Toyota eat their lunch with great 4-bangers..

Awaiting the 2012 Mustang GT, will keep the S/C Pontiac and the 2002 Camry SLE..

Good Luck to your mis-shifting Chevies..I was thinking about the final build of the V-6 Malibu to replace the Pontiac but it's a waste of money with the MSRPs at low 30s..Cheap LS Goodyear tires, and mushy suspension..Sunroof is a must on all my cars, so I am not to happy that Ford doesn't offer a sunroof on Mustangs..

Another buyback was in my boating world, a 25.5 ft, t-350 powered, took 3 yrs and a lawyer, but received a new hull with original engines, which had only 33 hrs of use..I won't name the manufacturer for they really build outstanding boats..Never ran the boat again, was sold, and it was truly a happy ending, made a few dollars on the sordid deal..
  • Tranny shift problems are really not a cause for the "Lemon" talk..I did the "GM buyback" route on a 1998 Olds Intrigue which had brake and steering issues..No yelling or screaming, no lawyers, 26k miles and GM bought the car back less $800 off the original sale..I signed the check and gave it back to the dealer and drove away in a 1999 Olds Intrigue w/3.5 V-6, short-star alum engine which was a sweetheart..Yep, it had less issues and was kept for 75k miles, and traded in on the final Olds Intrigue model run 2002..Put 120k on it and traded it on a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which now has 61k..

Most of these 6-spd trannys are somewhat erratic in operation, so keep driving the dealer crazy and load the system with complaints..Copy some of the complaints on this forum and forward them to GM customer service..Be nice, but keep the system flooded..

Owned 53 cars to date and I am a senior citizen, and 34 of cars have been GM, spent 30+ years supplying parts to the Big3 and never ask for a supplier discount, didn't need the charity, and was never under any obligation to any manufacturer..

GM has a history of lousy 4 cylinder engines using cast components, cheap materials, maybe they are improving, for they watched Honda and Toyota eat their lunch with great 4-bangers..

Awaiting the 2012 Mustang GT, will keep the S/C Pontiac and the 2002 Camry SLE..

Good Luck to your mis-shifting Chevies..I was thinking about the final build of the V-6 Malibu to replace the Pontiac but it's a waste of money with the MSRPs at low 30s..Cheap LS Goodyear tires, and mushy suspension..Sunroof is a must on all my cars, so I am not to happy that Ford doesn't offer a sunroof on Mustangs..

Another buyback was in my boating world, a 25.5 ft, t-350 powered, took 3 yrs and a lawyer, but received a new hull with original engines, which had only 33 hrs of use..I won't name the manufacturer for they really build outstanding boats..Never ran the boat again, was sold, and it was truly a happy ending, made a few dollars on the sordid deal..
  • wgradywgrady Posts: 1
    2011 Malibu transmission hesitating from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rs. Went thru GM Customer Service, who did absolutly nothing. When I wnet to the dealership, the service manger new nothing about the call. Said there was nothing wrong with the car. Snd time back, their best trans mechanic would not even look at the web blogs on the problem. When I picked up, they said they had canged codes, etc and car was fixed. IT WAS NOT FIXED. Tomorrow, I am taking back for a THIRD time. Car has less that 6,000 miles.

Woody Grady
    High Point, NC
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    get them to reflash the ECM with the lastest software...that should fix the issue...I beleive there is even a TSB out on the issue....
  • John, my Malibu would also shudder when you take off on a hard pull, example: taking off on a hill it feels like the front end is shuddering. GM engineers explained that the car is under powered for the 6 speed trans and that there is no solution to repair it, so I contacted my State Lemon Law office and was assigned a laywer for free and we sued GM and settled out of court for 5 grand.
    I kept the car and all warrenties still apply. I have gotten use to the shuddering.
  • jdsaberjdsaber Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    my 2011 malibu LT2 is missfireing and says low traction service esc . and the engine light is on now. It came on when I spun out in snow and the started to missfire, and say low traction service the ecs .
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,083
    jdsaber,
    Warning lights like that store codes for the dealer to read. I would recommend speaking with a dealer. Please keep me posted on your progress. Feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bryan200kbryan200k Posts: 64
    My 2000 Malibu has over 230,000 miles. I have had the recommended transmission flush and new filter done at 100K and 200K. After my Chevy garage put a new shifter in the car, a couple weeks later I started having a clunk underneath the car near the front, and then it started some minor 'bucking' on occasion. A couple weeks ago, as I was driving down the highway, the car suddenly acted like it shifted by itself into 1st gear. I couldn't go 25 on the highway, and the RPM's reving over 3500. I got off the next exit and limped home on back roads. Took it to Chevy garage. They said it just needed a transmission flush, which they did. Picked the car up, and within 24 hours, it did the same thing while driving through downtown. Was only 2 blocks from garage, so swung by the dealership. They wanted to replace the transmission at cost of $3,200 without even doing any diagnostics on it. I took the car to the other side of town this morning to a Transmission Shop. Waiting for their 2nd opinion. My son did some experimenting with the car last night. When he would manually shift it thru 1, 2 and 3 on the shifter, the car acted fine. As soon as he shifted it to D, the speed dropped, and the RPM's reved to over 3,000. The Transmission Shop said that it could be electrical/computer, but they would check it out. Something that irked me about the Chevy garage was that the Service Manager was 'guessing' that it was "something internal in the transmission" and that the only thing that could be done was to totally replace the transmission with a new one. I am wondering... could that shifter they replaced in December maybe caused or triggered something?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    No electric power to the transmission would be my guess, can be checked.
    Would need wiring schematic
  • krkidkrkid Posts: 1
    We bought a used 2011 with 9700 miles on it. On a trip at 11000 miles I noticed the transmission slipping and rough shifting. We took the car back to the dealer and in turn they contacted GM and are installing a new transmission "module", whatever than means. The dealer has been very cooperative and has kept us posted throughout the process.