Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Transmission

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    There is a clip that attaches the transmission cable housing to a bracket that fails. Should have been recalled.
  • awajitokaawajitoka Posts: 1
    My Malibu has this same shuddering at high, constant speeds & under light acceleration. Are you saying this clip is the issue?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    If it won't stay in park, yes.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    johns1law,
    Please let me know if you recieved my email. I look forward to working with you to get your concerns resolved.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    A "shuddering vibration" on take off is a Torque Converter problem! It is very similar to a "clutch chatter!" ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    Hi all:

Last night I was stopped at a traffic light with the A/C on, and the transmission in DRIVE. When the light changed to green, I proceeded across the intersection and up a long hill. The vehicle ahead of me was going slowly. --- I had a "steady throttle" and the vehicle was traveling at a steady speed. In the middle of the hill, the engine started to surge. It continued to operate in this fashion until I reached the top of the hill. ----- I have done a search on the "net," and there appears to be other Malibu owners describing this problem, and there seems to be NO answer to this issue from Chevrolet, ----- (other than the dealer cannot duplicate the problem!) ------THIS IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE! ----- QUESTION: ---- Does anyone have any information on this issue? ------- My 2010 LTZ Malibu has 12,500 miles, and it is service by the dealer every 2,500. (My choice!) ------- If there is a GM representative on this board, please feel free to jump in on this discussion. ------ (Is there a "Technical Service Bulletin" on this issue?) -----(On the highway, the vehicle performs properly!) ---- This is the first time that I have experienced this issue! ------ Other people have described this issue at an earlier mileage! ----- Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :lemon: :confuse: ;)
    Hi Christina (GM - Customer Service)

To say the least, I am a little disappointed by the lack of response to my posting dealing with the "surging" that I experienced with my four cylinder 2010 Malibu LTZ as posted on May 22, 2011 at 9:35 am. This "issue" is all over the "net" on other sites, and GM does not seem to have a solution to the problem. Before I take my vehicle into the dealer for service, I would like to know if there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" that deals with this specific issue. I could then pass this information on to the service advisor and the service tech.. From the postings that I have read on other "net sites" the dealers are operating blind on this issue!

Surging can be caused by:
    1.) Low fuel Pressure
    2.) Low fuel volume
    3.) An EGR valve problem.
    4.) An A/C compressor kicking on and off while the engine is under load, (going up a hill.)
    5.) The clean air intake and the throttle body is dirty.
    6.) Problem with the knock sensor.
    7.) Problems with the MAF, MAP and / or the IAT sensor.
    8.) Leaks in the air intake system.

Since this seems to be a problem with the Malibu line, I would think that GM would show some professional interest in solving the problem. If there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this subject please give me the number of that bulletin.

Thank you in advance for your help, concern, and professionalism. Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    djm2,
    I apologize I just seen both of your posts together. Unfortunatly if there is a "Technical Service Bulliten" that would only be available to our technical staff such as service personnel. I would definitely recommend continuing to work with the dealer. If you would like to send me your complete contact information (name, address, and telephone number), VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer I would be happy to set up a case with Customer Assistance. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina:

Thank you for your response to my postings. I have been in contact with the selling dealer, and I have an appointment to have the vehicle serviced.

I have read about this issue on other sites with regards to this vehicle. Some people are complaining about this operating characteristic at a VERY low mileage. ------ My 2010 four cylinder Malibu LTZ did not show this characteristic until it passed 12,000 miles.

The problem with this issue is that there does not seem to be a solution to the problem at the "dealer level!" ------ My vehicle did not have this problem till it accumulated 12,000 miles.

Today I was merging onto a highway in "bumper - to - bumper traffic" at 20 mph. As the traffic started to accelerate, I gently pressed on the accelerator, and the vehicle surged like a manual transmission that was operating in third gear, and should have been down shifted to second gear. The engine was "lugging"! Since I was in "bumper - to bumper traffic, I could not press hard on the accelerator to force a "down shift!" This is a "recent operational issue" with this vehicle.

Sometimes when taking off from a dead stop, (under normal acceleration), it feels like the engine is not getting enough fuel, and / or spark advance, and / or air. This seems to be more noticeable in the lower gears, (1st and 2nd). The engine seems to be holding back. (Something has changed with this vehicle.) ---- I will keep you informed as to the outcome of the service appointment.

NOTE:
    This vehicle is rated at 33 mpg on the highway. The only way that I can achieve 30 mpg with the Malibu is by traveling at no more than 55mph. (I have a 2007 V6 Toyota Camry XLE with 65,000+ miles that can easily get 30+ mpg at 65 mph.) ----- Both vehicles have a 6 speed automatic transmission.

Best regards!
    Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    Technical Service Bulletins are public and easy to access. We have them right here on our site.

djm2, you might start here and fill in your details. Once you get to your vehicle page, there are links right under the model description where you can see recalls & technical service bulletins.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi Kirstie (Host)

Thank you for your response.

I have an appointment with the selling dealer to have this vehicle serviced for this problem.

Now that the weather is becoming warmer, this problem is becoming more noticeable everyday.

Today, I was entering slow moving highway traffic at 20 mph, and my engine started to surge, because the trans would not down shift to the next lower gear. (If was like "not down shifting" a manual transmission!) ------- This problem is all over the net, and GM does not have a solution to this problem with the 6 speed transmission. ----------- Some owners have experienced total transmission failure. -------- I AM NOT A HAPPY OWNER! This problem started after my vehicle reached 12,500 miles. This IS NOT a good advertisement for GM! I would bet that there are no codes set, because there is no "check engine light ON!" ------- Unless there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" on this issue, the "problem" is going to be VERY difficult to find! ---- General Motors, I liked this vehicle up until this problem. NOW I AM VERY SORRY THAT I MADE THIS PURCHASE! ----- Maybe, if the problem is resolved, I might change my opinion, but as it stands now, I wish I had purchases a Toyota Camry! ---- The Malibu is a beautiful vehicle, but the four cylinder engine and transmission does not come anywhere near to a four cylinder Toyota or Honda with regards to smooth operation!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: :lemon: :mad:
  • I finaaly have a resolution with GM, they would not buy the car back, but we came to a financial resolution thru the lemon law. Keep all paperwork and take notes from all conversations and call GM asistance in Detriot and get a case number asap. Good luck.
  • johns1lawjohns1law Posts: 3
    Ok...car is weeks new, or used however u look at it..It drives like a POS.. I just got ran around for 4 weeks , the dealership acknowledges the abnormality of my car, they see it in other malibus too...yet because a select few drive like the wheel is wobbling , the BIG DOG (GM) has policy that they cant do anything because its normal..So I asked..is it normal to have a car that has shuddering and wheel wobble on take off...> response from Barbara at GM.. "im sorry sir our policy is because others drive like this we cant do anything for you" .. I wasnt asking for the kitchen sink but for a car that I was proud to own..and drive... Neither is farthest from the truth ..This company is indeed a joke..and with customer service like this I can see why they needed extra $$ to cover there mistakes over the past many years.. They build 1000s of reliable vehicles and gloat about it on commericals...yet the ones that are POS they act like they dont care.. Russian roullette..good luck to any persons considering a GM purchase..hope u dont get shot like I just did... I left GM 10yrs ago...i decided to come back ...NEVER again...the squeeky wheel I may be...but if it werent for people speaking up , others may get burned like I just did..I warn others , if you have problems..and so do others... good luck getting resolve.. less its gonna cause serious bodily injury i dont think the company really cares...what a joke.. So i say to GM...good bye, and Ill be sure to let everyone know of my experience with your joke of a company...I feel sorry for all the victims of your faulty produced vehicles ... Sad day for me..I really wanted this to work out...I had belief they would settle (replace tranny or car or fix tranny) my issue... they didnt seem so interested... So i have no regret leaving and not looking back. Just wish i didnt get suckered with coming back...damn marketing..had me beleiving this was too good to be true.. The old saying, if it seems to be , then it probably is.....good luck
    GOOD NEWS! ----- My OUTSTANDING dealer worked VERY hard on this problem and it was corrected! ----- There is an "up-dated software package" from GM that corrects this issue. ---- The 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu now drives like a totally different vehicle. ---- It has power, great acceleration for a 4 cylinder, and I am now getting the advertised fuel mileage. --- I no longer experience the "surging problem!" ---- I am now happy with the vehicle! --- I give total credit to my selling / servicing dealer. Their service department spent hours on this vehicle. ----- Based on this service performance and their customer relations, I would consider purchasing another vehicle from them in the future. They took complete responsibility and made things happen, and for that I am grateful! ------------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • pirates7pirates7 Posts: 1
    Harsh shifting (dead spots - hesitation) between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 for the first two or so miles
    when the engine is cold.
    As expected, dealer denies there is anything wrong.
    Consumer Reports sited this problem when they did their review of the new Cruz.
    The Cruz and Malibu share the same transmission.

pirates7
    Hi Pirates7:
    I have my e-mail address on my profile. ---- E-mail me! ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • chasfchasf Posts: 2
    Have same problem. 2.4L engine. Once car warms up it shifts fine. No stumble. Have had car 5 weeks and thought maybe it would get better. Goes in to dealer tomorrow for this. Will let you know if I get any different answer than you did.
  • chasfchasf Posts: 2
    As promised, a report on by visit to dealer today. They say that my car is shifting normally, even the stumbling on 2-3 shifts before engine/transmission warm up. They say I am not the first person to complain about this and that possibly if enough people complain Chevy may come out with a new calibration to address concerns. Service manager even went out on ride with me to evaluate the car.

A point of reference. My son has a Camaro with 6-cylinder and 6-speed transmission. I have driven his car and it also has the stumble on 2-3 shifts when cold but not as disturbing, probably due to more powerful engine. I related this to service manager and he agrees with my theory.

I feel better knowing that my car is behaving "normally" but not totally pleased with the driving experience. Service manager told me that one customer was so dissatisfied with this problem with 4-cylinder engine that they ended up exchanging car for a 6-cylinder equipped car.
  • johns1lawjohns1law Posts: 3
    glad you feel better, but the answer GM gives as normal for that car.. im floored as to there lack of enthusiasm to help, and I dont foresee the future but if I could id bet the car is never addressed..WHo knows.. I was so unhappy with mine..I SOLD IT.. lost my rear, but letting GM ever burn me again wont happen... Ive had over 15 new model yr cars and some had minor issues, some were perfect , this time was a problem, i gave them opportunity to fix....and theres nothing to fix i suppose , how do u fix a mishap (junk)... obvious they dont know how to and it would be to costly to admit mistake.. look around, read, even my service advisor told me this car is not built well from the tranny up...many many issues... Maybe we got a lemon in the bunch, if that is the case, why does GM say its normal ? Because they are going into lemon production ? I dont figure it out.
  • ep1ep1 Posts: 3
    I also have a Malibu though a 2011 model & experiancing the same problem, my dealer the largest in PA said they are waiting for detroit to come up with a fix he did say they are working to come up with a solution and are flooded with customers complaining with the same issue, would you know what the software package is, or a bullitin?