Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Transmission

1234568»

Comments

• I purchased my 2011 Chevy Malibu off the lot with only 33 miles on the odometer. When the car got to about 20,000 miles I noticed that it dragged during pick up. OnStar runs reports on the vehicle at the end of each month, since I subscribe to Onstar. The provided me a code and told me to take the car to th dearler within a day, which I did. I explained the problem to the dealer and they kept the car all day and of course, claimed they could not find a problem with the car with no light indicating a problem. I was told to return once the light showed up. Well, the car continued to have intermittant problems with dragging, but I waited for the light as the dealer told me. Okay, the other day when I was driving to work the car refused to move and was making all kinds of noise, so I had to pull it in the nearest gas station. I called Chevy service and was told that they could provide me with a tow company they use, but the tow would be on my dime! I was thinking what the heck! What happened to road side assistance, which I am suppose to have under 100,000 miles, right! I called the tow driver and he came and I towed the problem car to the Chevy dealer only to find out later in the day, sorry we have not had a chance to look at your car and until we do, we can't discuss any rental or loaner car, nice! Because this problem started at about 20,000 miles and there are so many people on here with the same problem, I don't want this car at all! Chevy knows there is a wide spread problem with the tranny in these cars, but it appears they are brushing this problem under the rug. No one wants to pay thousands of dollars for what they beleive is a dependable car, only to be afraid to drive the thing. I will keep you updated on my issue, once Chevy decides I am important enough to get back to me Contract or no contract they will not be taking me for a ride with this car. If its a piece of junk than they need to take their piece of junk back and refund me my money.
  • Hello, Today when I was driving to work by Malibu 2010 2 cylinder car started acting uafter coming to a full stop and attempting to continue forward the car dragged at if it could not go into the next gear, the RPM fluctuated all the way to the 6 and they the car moved, I thought it was weird, however when I came to another full stop this time at a Red light when I tried to start moving again the car would not move at all. I turned my hazards on and turned the car off and tried to move but nothing, I switched to manual and nothing. The car will move in reverse however just not forward. My car has about 64,000 miles on it and serviced as scheduled, at this time the car is being towed to the dealer who told me they would charge me 80 dollars to diagnose it and that the warranty would probably not cover the problem. I don't seem to be only one with this exact same issue, can someone tell me how you solved the problem?

Thank You.
  • I purchased a certified 4 cyl 2011 Malibu LTZ in December 2012. It had about 36,000 miles on it. It ran beautifully until July when we were in heavy traffic on a very hot day and I noticed the tac surging up and down with the car holding at a steady speed. In August, another hot day, I was on an interstate that had fairly steep grades (at least 8%?). At 55/60 mph on one of these hills the transmission would drop down from 5th or 6th to, maybe 2nd or 3rd, causing the engine to rev up to at least 5,000 rpm and the car to jerk. Brought it to a local Chev dealer who had it for 4 or 5 hours. Invoice said "No Problem Found. Inspected system npf at this time, checked out updates program." Since then I have stayed away from steep hills on interstates as i wasn't sure the same problem would come up again. Lately, there's been surging while upshifting; also there's a lag going into reverse. Could it need new fluid OR a new computer program as some have suggested?
  • I have a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. I bought it new in August of 2010. A few weeks ago, with 47,000 miles on the car, I stopped at a light on the highway and when the light turned, my car would not move. I had to have the car towed. The car would not move forward, but would go in reverse. The mechanic said the gear was completely broken off. There was never any warning of a problem .

I paid $2535.00 to have the transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said it was not the first newer Malibu he had to rebuild a transmission in. I waited over a week for my car because the rebuild was also defective and he had to order a second kit. I loved that car but now I am looking to sell it because I don't trust it. I thought I had bought a great car but when you owe over two years of payments and have to empty your savings account to rebuild a transmission with 47,000 miles on it, something is very wrong. I am so disappointed in this car... and broke...
  • Pbailey0716: what I did was go to a dealer and my car was still under power train warranty and they fixed the problem without me paying a dime, you might want to look into that because your car had 20,000 less miles than mine. Where was your car fixed?
  • I have a 2010 Malibu that I purchased brand new in 2010. I had the same experience yesterday. I tried to pull off from a traffic light and the car would not move. I had it towed to the dealer & they said it was the wave plate in the transmission. I did some research & Malibu's/GM units have wave plate issues a lot. My car is covered under powertrain warranty. When it comes back from the dealer I'm gonna figure out what I'm gonna trade it in for. Not another GM. Mine has 60,000 miles and hasn't missed any maintenance. I understand your disappointment.
  • djm2

Were u charged for the transmission flush or was it covered by the dealer under warranty? I have a 2011 malibu with a shade under 31K miles on it and i'm thinking about getting this done to hopefully prevent transmission issues in the future. Also, I was at a stop sign getting ready to pull out of my subdivision when it felt like the engine misfired twice. Are the spark plugs know to wear out fast on these cars too?
  • You def should not have paid anything, you should have been covered under the 5/100,000
  • My 2011 Malibu 2LT just reached 66600 miles, driving it on Monday on the expressway, it bogged down then kicked on me but the tach didn't change. Went to Wal-Mart, came back out and started it but it would immediately die. Kept making it start and finally kept it running enough to get into gear, now it's 0 to 60 in 8 minutes and the tach never goes over 2K RPM. Does not seem to shift gears but goes in reverse fine. Tried using my remote start, makes funny noise by gas tank but does not start. Afraid to drive to dealership. HELP

• My 2010 Malibu LT with 65000 miles was stopped at a light when suddenly the engine check light came on. I proceeded to 20 mph when the tach went to 5k and the engine ran but the car would jerk intermittently forward. Had car towed to Chevy under roadside assistance program. Diagnostics reveals that the 3-5 wave washer in the CVT transmission destroyed the entire power train. Dealer is currently waiting for GM to approve replacement. Vehicle has been there 7 days. In the interim, they have provided a loaner, albeit, they did not volunteer it.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,052

@2010malibutran said: Diagnostics reveals that the 3-5 wave washer in the CVT transmission destroyed the entire power train.

Are you sure it's a CVT ? Wiki only shows a 4-speed and two 6-speeds used for that generation 7 Malibu.

1234568»