Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    I would think going to a 225/50 would actually increase handling a bit too.
    I'm sure a 225 will fit on the rim without a problem, but will it cause rubbing problems with suspension parts etc..?
    I would hope the acura wouldn't have such tight tolerances.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    I believe you can get better answer over at acura-cl.com - still I think someone installed 20 inch tires so I don't think that 225 would be a problem... although, I think that would be a waste to worry about the scratch... you know, increase the tires just so you won't suffer a few scratches.... that's just overkill
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    But, to increase tire width for better handling is just regularkill. Good idea, actually.
    I think that the stock is good just as it is ... although, some weight trimming might help... of course, any existing car can be improved... sooooo.... what :p
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    But by exceeding rim width with a tire would actually decrease scratching as the tire would be what absorbs the scrapes now instead of the rim.
    No?
    No.. I don't think so.. the wheels' inherent "flaw" would not work that way. You have to imagine that the tires have to fit with the wheels....

if you look at it this way... put 18-wheeler's tires on the existing wheels then you can decrease the protruding wheels... then you won't be able to fit the tires properly, right? Maybe someone can test it, but I don't think that 225 would help in this case. ( I might be wrong about my theory, but I still don't think that it would be worth it to upgrade the tires for that reason)
    As long as the tire's diameter remains the same, you are OK. Changing to a 225/50 will increase total diameter by 1.5% or .39 inches.
    The circumference is also increased by 1.5%, which would mean that your speedometer/odometer would be off by 1.5%. You would actually be going faster/farther than it said by a factor of, you guessed it, 1.5%
    An extra 10mm or so in tread width should not exceed the rim's capacity or the wheel well spec. It will help traction by giving you more rubber on the road, and handling because of the lower profile ratio.
    yeah.. but better handling usually means rougher ride... don't you just hate me, gary? :D
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    But not in this case where he is just going to 225/50. The height of the sidewall would actually be increased from 215/50 so the ride might actually improve. Handling, however, may be a wash since the improvement from the increased tread width may be offset by additional sidewall flex.
    I love you man. :-)
    Actually, the ride shouldn't be any rougher as the sidewall width will not get any narrower. Also, if he switches brands or models, he may find a smoother, quieter tire. The Yokos I put on my Impala are quieter than the Michelins that came on my CL.

There was an error in my previous post, though. The profile of the new tire will remain the same, so his cornering probably won't see any improvement from decreased flexing of the sidewall. The additional tread grip, however, should improve cornering as it relates to skidding.
    but do you guys think that it can help him with the scratches? The original intent....
    Learning how to parallel park would probably be a bigger help.
    don't say that.. you'll hurt his feelings!!!! Don't you know.. some people still parallel park by feel.
    I think it would prevent some scratches if he just brushes against the curb. But if he hits it hard, the rim will still hit the curb.
  • curb feelers are another option :)
    Wouldn't those look fine on a CL-S :))

Seriously now, don't certain models of BMW come with some sort of a audible warning system for curbs?
    I don't care about "curb feelers" :p

now I want to have side curtain airbags... I think the CR-V has them... what's up??? Not that I want to use them anytime... NEVER would be better... but...
    I just want side curtains. Maybe vertical blinds.
  • hey folks,

Maybe this has come up before but let me ask anyway. Has anybody replaced wheels/tires and have a recommendation? Maybe some of you have gone back to 16's or upped to 18's. What will make this car look/feel better?

The stock tread still looks good for another 10k mile or so, so i've got some time.

kt
  • I'd stick to the same size tires. I suppose that the electronics would work best with the same size tires... VSA and such. Also, changing the size would mean that I would have to look for new wheels as well. Too much money.... As for tire brand, I might try another that might be quieter, but I am content with the noise level for my stock car right now.
    Go with Yokohama. Forget Michelin.
    They're quieter, cheaper, better handling.
  • garypen,
    Any particular model? What's on your car?
    On the CL, I have the Michelin MXV4's that came with it. It's only got 8500 miles on it. They're not so awful that I can't wait to replace 'em.
    On my Impala, I immediately chucked the Goodyears that came with it for some Yokohama AVS dB's. They're Z-rated Ultra Performace tires that are also ultra quiet, which is usually a contradiction. However, the tread life ain't too high, maybe 24-36K miles, if you're lucky. Yokohama has some nice Super Touring tires called Avids, that are even cheaper and get around double the tread life.
    Your CL doesn't come with Michelin Pilots?
  • The Type S has Pilots. I think the Premium uses different tires.
  • yeah.. the Premium uses the Plus version
    I prefer the term "Base" as opposed to premium. You can't have a premium without a lesser level before it. It's like McDonald's not offering a small soft drink. The smallest they have is a medium. That is contrary to the very definition of the word "medium", as is calling the entry level model "premium".
  • gary - that's the official naming in the manual... as for the base of the CL.. I posted previously as the Accord couple :D
  • I agree with Gary. I can't bring myself to call the base CL the "Premium" despite what Acura calls it. I've opted to call the base model the CL 225 and the Type S the CL 260 (although Type S sure sounds better than Premium).
    I just call it a CL or a Base CL. I have no bruised ego over it. Shoot. It is the base model. They could call it the "Super Happy Lucky Number One Best For Your Living Of Life" model. It'd still be the base model.
This discussion has been closed.