Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    f4u1d25-

OR.......you could just be careful when parking and make use of the tilt-down mirror. This was one of the first things I was warned about in the http://www.acura-cl.com board.

I agree that it is a weird design, but if you're careful, they don't have to get scratched.

fastdriver
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Consider yourself lucky. If you lived in california, you'd have to worry about dings in your doors. All the parking here is side by side in parking lots.
    Plus, you wouldn't be able to find a decent slice of pizza, which is even worse.
  • HAS ANYONE HAD MORE THAN THE USUAL AMOUNT OF FLATS AND OR BUBBLES WITH THE S-TYPE TIRES???
  • what's that????? Never heard of it.....
  • sorry i just meant the tires that come on the cl type s
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    How does the CL-S handle in snow? I live in TX and don't really have to worry about it normally, but I'm driving to NM to go skiing, and I was wondering what to expect. The owners manual says not to ever put chains on a CL-S, so I hope the roads are mostly clear, but how does it handle moderate snow? (I hope there's some snow to drive through).
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    We don't get much snow here in lotusland, but mine seems to do OK in light to moderate snow even with the standard all-seasons tires. You'd just have to be easy on the throttle. I think the traction control is a big plus. Also the CL-S actually has a fair amount of road clearance for a vehicle of its ilk (I think over 6 inches). Much more so than, say, the new Camry.
  • We haven't had much snow this year ,but last year at snowed 6or7 inches a couple of times.The type S was great in the snow. The tires bite well,but i think it's the VSA that really makes a differance.It makes the car track straight. Phil
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    I have a friend with a 01 CL-S.
    Wants to know if he can fit a 225/50 without a problem? He seems to think by going to a bit wider of tire it will stop the rims from getting scraped so easiliy. I checked out his wheel and it does look like the stock rims are wider than the tires.

thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
    spyder98
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    that doesn't make sense... but he might try to look at tirerack.com to see how he could increase his tire size. I think the alternative maybe getting the wheels from the TL type S OR just get an aftermarket. The problem with the wheels are that they are sticking too far out that it is unlikely to change with wider tires.

I don't have a problem with wheel scratching... lucky me :)
    I would think going to a 225/50 would actually increase handling a bit too.
    I'm sure a 225 will fit on the rim without a problem, but will it cause rubbing problems with suspension parts etc..?
    I would hope the acura wouldn't have such tight tolerances.
    I believe you can get better answer over at acura-cl.com - still I think someone installed 20 inch tires so I don't think that 225 would be a problem... although, I think that would be a waste to worry about the scratch... you know, increase the tires just so you won't suffer a few scratches.... that's just overkill
    But, to increase tire width for better handling is just regularkill. Good idea, actually.
    I think that the stock is good just as it is ... although, some weight trimming might help... of course, any existing car can be improved... sooooo.... what :p
    But by exceeding rim width with a tire would actually decrease scratching as the tire would be what absorbs the scrapes now instead of the rim.
    No?
    No.. I don't think so.. the wheels' inherent "flaw" would not work that way. You have to imagine that the tires have to fit with the wheels....

if you look at it this way... put 18-wheeler's tires on the existing wheels then you can decrease the protruding wheels... then you won't be able to fit the tires properly, right? Maybe someone can test it, but I don't think that 225 would help in this case. ( I might be wrong about my theory, but I still don't think that it would be worth it to upgrade the tires for that reason)
    As long as the tire's diameter remains the same, you are OK. Changing to a 225/50 will increase total diameter by 1.5% or .39 inches.
    The circumference is also increased by 1.5%, which would mean that your speedometer/odometer would be off by 1.5%. You would actually be going faster/farther than it said by a factor of, you guessed it, 1.5%
    An extra 10mm or so in tread width should not exceed the rim's capacity or the wheel well spec. It will help traction by giving you more rubber on the road, and handling because of the lower profile ratio.
    yeah.. but better handling usually means rougher ride... don't you just hate me, gary? :D
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    But not in this case where he is just going to 225/50. The height of the sidewall would actually be increased from 215/50 so the ride might actually improve. Handling, however, may be a wash since the improvement from the increased tread width may be offset by additional sidewall flex.
    I love you man. :-)
    Actually, the ride shouldn't be any rougher as the sidewall width will not get any narrower. Also, if he switches brands or models, he may find a smoother, quieter tire. The Yokos I put on my Impala are quieter than the Michelins that came on my CL.

There was an error in my previous post, though. The profile of the new tire will remain the same, so his cornering probably won't see any improvement from decreased flexing of the sidewall. The additional tread grip, however, should improve cornering as it relates to skidding.
This discussion has been closed.