Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6: Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    There is no problem thats the way it is going to be all the time there is no fix, had a 05 Malibu V6 16mpg was tops in the city and 37mpg was tops for the highway returned it after 23,000 miles it was leased. I went throgh the same thing with the dealer they give you the we cant find anything, however in reality they know the answer, when you talk to other people "live" not blogs, you will find some of your answers.
  • Don't trust the mileage computer to be accurate. Check it by dividing the gallons used into the total miles traveled on the tank of gas. Then reset your mileage and check another tank. The best way to get an accurite reading is run 4-5 tanks of gas and check the mileage using all fuel used and all the miles driven. (IE 75 gallons used in 2025 miles = 27mpg)

I've seen the mileage computers be off 5 mpg or more.I have a 2004 Chevy truck that was off about 1.5 mpg consistently. It always got about 1.5 mpg less than the computer said it got.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 873
    Just made a 500 mile trip at 70 mph, some a/c, got 31.5 mpg, I can live with that.
    It was gallons divided by miles.
  • Mine is a 2009 4 cylinder with the 6-speed auto "Sport Package". I already have more than 15,000 miles on it. The mileage with this package is satisfactory. I consistently achieve more than 420 miles per tank and average a little over 30 mpg overall. My work commute is highway, seldom stop and go, making the mileage easier to achieve. I have occasionally achieved 32+ mpg for a tankful (doing the math), but it is usually a little lower. It does not often achieve the EPA rating, but then few cars do in the real world other than hybrids or diesels. The only indicator I watch is miles left per tank; The mpg indicator is only useful to monitor driving habits, not for accurate, achievable measurements.

For the total package considering size, roominess, comfort, performance, I am reasonably happy. We will see about long term. I am used to taking my cars to 200,000 miles but do not expect that of this car. I have owned mostly VW or Subaru over the years.
  • I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 4-cylinder sedan and I drive short distances. I drive approximately 4-5 miles per day with the longest distance without stopping being 6-10 blocks. I average 14-15 miles to the gallon. The sticker in the car says that I should be getting 22 so they say to figure 2 below that for a more accurate estimate. I am not getting anywhere near this. I average less than 200 miles per tank and it is absolutely ridiculous. I am so disappointed in myself for buying this vehicle. I am going to lose a heck of a lot of money off of it between licensing it and paying to fill it up constantly. :cry:
    Your drives are too short, get a plug in electric car and your would never need gas.
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Posts: 54
    I have a 2008 4cyl Sedan that I bought used with 19,000 miles in July '09. I now have 43,000 miles. I have been averaging 24.5 mpg per tank, with 80/20 highway/city commute, 10% of the highway miles are stop/go traffic. On the open highway, I always use the cruise control to maintain 8mph above the speed limit. My last road-trip was 735 miles and I averaged 28.1 mpg. My last 90% city driving tankful only averaged 19.2 mpg. I don't go by the on-board mileage average, I divide the miles driven by fuel used. I don't let the fuel gauge go below 1/4 full, because it gets pricey using 93 octane (91 octane is what the owners manual calls for and 91 octane is not available in my area). I am a firm believer that spark-knock will kill the engine. EPA fuel economy is estimated based on optimum conditions, not realistic situations. What percentage is your city/highway driving and what grade gasoline do you use?
    My 09 2.4 takes 87 octane, right in the owners manual. You better read your manual again.
    Your 09 is also compatible with E85 Flex-Fuel, correct? This was not available for the 2008 model year.

The 2008 owners manual states:

"If your vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code B),
    use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
    rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular
    unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but
    your vehicle’s acceleration could be slightly reduced,
    and you might notice a slight audible knocking
    noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the
    octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy
    knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a
    gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as
    possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If
    you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and
    you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service".

A 4 cylinder engine would not benefit from reduced acceleration. I also don't want my ride sounding like some beater. Premium unleaded in my area is 93 octane. I will not use a fuel posted 6 octane points lower than recommended. Back in the day, you could get around spark knock by adjusting the timing and fuel mixture. Since cars these days are computer controlled and no user adjustments are available, I'll go with what is stated in my owners manual.
    My engine is code B, 87 octane. Only 09 that will run E85 is the 3.5 VIN code K.

It also states the 3.6 VIN code 7 will run better on 89 octane for towing. Everything else in the 09 line up is 87 octane.

Something must have changed from 08 to09.
    They may have lowered the compression ratio for 09. I have not been able to find mechanical specifications for models after 2007 in the online Chilton's I have access to.
    Do you suppose nothing changed and they just dropped the 91 octane rating for sales purposes. It says the engine will run on 87, you suppose if I used 91 in mine I would have increased power?
    I think they changed something with the compression ratio for the 09's. They specified 91 octane minimum for the 08's because they knew that the engines would knock loud enough. An engine that normally runs on 87 octane won't knock loud enough that you can hear it. If you run 91 octane in yours, you may see a slight increase in performance and fuel economy. I don't know what gas goes for in your area, but in mine they charge $0.30/gal more for premium vs. regular unleaded. It's up to you if the extra expense would be worth it.
  • i have a 2006 G6 i drive 4.7 miles to work and i get 287-310 miles out of a tank of gas and highway i get 497 i just drove from canada to va beach over 800 miles and i filled up once on that trip and had over a 1/4 tank when i got there i did a whole years reaserch on this car 06-09 and the 06 had the best gas mileage to offer and there is not much differant body wise other than the sun roof on the 06 and the radios in all of them i love my car and i dont think i will ever traide it in i bought it with 43000 miles
  • I'm looking a buying a pontiac g6 used with 115,000 miles on it can anyone tell me if this is a good car to get with this kind of miles on it i want something thats gonna last me a few years atleast
    Just got back from a road trip in S. GA / N. FL, 650 miles all freeway. Day temps in the mid 90's, so the A/C was on full-time. I averaged 29.2 mpg @ 72 mph.
    Update:
    2008 G6 2.4L with 64,000 mi on the 5/10/2011 road trip. I just returned from a 725 mi round-trip N. GA / N. MS on 07/29/2012. Car averaged 29.4 mpg @ 70 mph with A/C on full-time & 1 adult passenger.
2»