Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Transmission

eclamseclams Posts: 1
My G6 has a very noisy and Clunky transmission. I have had it to the dealer 3 times and I wrote and called GM. I believe there is nothing that can be done. Since it is the first application for this trans in a GM car, I think they just screwed it up. I am going to seek a buyout because I will not put up with the way this sounds. It really shifts poorly and cluncks into gears.

Comments

• gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    Your title says that it is coming from the clutch, how do you know? What did the dealer say/do at each service. Is it only in certain gears? Forward and Reverse? Or Forward only? How many miles have put on the car and have you tried another dealer. There are some dealers that have exceptional service dept and others have an exceptionally poor service dept. Not insinuating anything towards you. Just want to get all the information. Had a 99 GA with several problems and the 1st pontiac dealer was completely incompetent and could not fix anything correctly. The second pontiac dealer that I took it to fixed everything on one visit and I never had another problem with the stuff that they had fixed...Did have many other problems with the car over 5 years....biggest piece of crap I ever bought.
  • I have a 06 G6 GTP 6 sp manual with the same problem... the transaxle has a lot of slack in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. It clunks badly when driven in any of those gears. Have you been able to get your problem fixed, or does anyone else have this same problem and been able to get any resolution? I have not been back to the dealer yet, but intend to go soon as this is a very annoying problem and definitely not right.
  • I have an 06 G6 w/ the 2.4L Ecotech and 4spd Auto. Lately I have been noticing that when at high RPM's the car hesitates and sometimes completely refuses to shift up to the next gear. I have to let off to at least 50% throttle in order for the transmission to finally shift up. Other wise I have not seen any other signs or symptoms from the trans. But however I have noticed some possible electrical problems, i.e. the temp gauge does not always respond and usually reads nothing, and then also the wipers while on wipe at different rates of speed w/out changing the wiper control to do so. Any ideas? Could this be an Electrical problem or a more exspensive transmission rebuild?
  • wilson86wilson86 Posts: 1
    When I bought my 2005 G6 Sedan I was originally looking for a car with a manual transmission but was coerced into settling for the car my dad wanted me to buy. After driving my car for about a year I need a trani that gives me that sports car feeling. My Automatic transmission has honestly become a bore. I was wondering if there are manual transmissions made that will fit into a 2005 G6 Sedan and what subsequent parts I would have to get changed out to make it fit and be compatible with the underbody and the interior (Console) of my car? Or is it more complicated than this? Would it be worth the investment or should I just buy a motorcycle? I am in a bind on what I should do.
  • mgrimmmgrimm Posts: 1
    I love this car. I have an 05 G6 GT. The trans in a little ruff but for the most part fun to drive. I like the feeling of being in control. I have read that some the models have had problems. I have only had my car for 2 weeks and I have had no trouble. Runs Great!!
  • :confuse: My automatic 06' G6 has starting making a noise about 2 wks ago and has since worsend. It only does it when driving and usually starts making the noise after shifting into the first gear. The noise also goes along with acceleration of the car. How do I know if it's the tranny?

~~In need of help.
  • I have the same car and experiencing the same problem latley! Tonight my check engine light came on but my car has high mileage so its at 40,000 and the warranty was up I believe at 36,000 :( have you had your checked out yet??
  • Well, I'm sorry to hear you are also having problems. I did have my car checked. It turned out not to be the tranny, but instead to be the front right wheel bearing going out due to hitting a Huge pot hole during a rain storm 2 wks prior. I've since had it repaired and haven't had problems since. :shades:
    I would call the dealership service dept and just speak to someone about what you're experiencing and see if they can't narrow it down for you and possibly give you a round about estimate.

Good Luck To ya!
    ~V in Oklahoma City ;)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,703
    One thing I am learning about my 08 G6, 4cyl, is the fact the Transmission is a little stiff, and rough at times. Now it has gotten better with more miles I put on it, I have about 4,000 miles. But, when pushed hard it seems pretty smooth, but yesterday, I really pushed it, not into redline, but just a good push, and it kinda jerked in 1 gear... Now whats up with that? Now, I am sure nothing is wrong, but found that weird. It seems to be breaking in better.. When I dealer tells you its broken in all the way, well I still believe they are wrong, it takes several thousands of miles to be truly broken into how the engine really should be. I know this, because this is my second lease.

It might be the fact that it has only 4 gears.. rather than the "standard" 5.

I have been running it up and down the RPM's to get the engine set, perhaps training the engine, of course, not doing it abusively though...

Anyone with 4cyl, notice that the power seems to really pull further along the acceleration rather than more at the beginning. Which is kind of annoying, because I think most want bottom end torque.

Do you think the traction control is playing a big role in the way the engine treats its torque??...I bet it does. I don't have to use it all the time.
  • jay_lojay_lo Posts: 1
    My 2006 G6 GTP sedan with a six-speed is the shop today.

With less than 29,000 miles, the clutch is burned out and the heat from the clutch took out the fly wheel as well.

I had a 1992 Chevy Cavalier 5-speed and a 1993 Geo Tracker 5-speed, put more than 75k miles on the Tracker and more than 100k miles on the Cavalier, and didn't burn out either clutch. So I don't think it is "my driving habits."

I'm really hoping the dealer doing the repair work finds something that broke to cause this. Otherwise, it appears to me that the manual transmission was junk in the first place.

Anyone have similar experiences/ suggestions?
  • WOW, I can just copy the first part of your message.

My 2007 G6 Coupe 6 Speed with slightly over 28,000 is in the shop today. They said the clutch is blown and the heat destroyed the sway actuator (spelling ? sorry). That it is a wearable part so it is not covered by the warrentee unless they fix it and then find that something else is wrong that caused it to happen. $1500.00! On a car that is 1 year old this month!

I too am a responsible adult not some hot rod kid, who has driven standard transmission vehichles for over 30 years and NEVER burned out a clutch! Arggg!

Anyone else having/had this problem?
  • Just heard back from the service department that the fly wheel in my G6 2007 is detroyed due to heat as well. Another $700, they still don't know if they will find anything else that caused the problem.
  • What did you hear back on your car? The service department at my dealer says there is nothing they can do, there is nothing wrong other than the clutch blew out and the heat destroyed everything else.

I did get advice to call Pontiac Customer Satisfaction from a GM mechanic I know, that number is 866-790-5600 the representative I am working with is Charlene at extension 31364. My brother in law is former GM Service Manager he said to just call, insist that I know I am right and not give up. If they won't make it right I will turn my car back in.

A mechanic at the shop I went to told me that it very well could have been the check valve in the slave cylinder that if it stuck it would allow the clutch to partly engage which would explain the way it ran right before it blew. This would have caused everything to get hot; and if this happened it would be covered under warrentee.

By the way. My clutch feels totally different now than it ever did new. It is strong, pushes back quickly, shifts gears easy. Its a blast to drive. Was never this way before, this tells me that it was never right to begin with.

Hope this helps. Let me know how yours turned out.
  • In August the dealership my car had been towed to replaced the blown clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder/actuator, whole system. Their mechanic told me that it could have been the auctuator sticking causing clutch fluid to leak, but there is no way to know for sure what happened. The service manager at Suss Pontiac in Aurora Colorado was a complete jerk, even after his mechanic admitted that it could have been caused by a defective part he said that the mechanic didn't know what he was talking about and that I blew my clutch out. That it was my fault and would not be covered under warrentee. I filed a complaint with Pontiac customer care, they were rude and completely useless. I had the worst experience I have ever had dealing with a dealer and customer service. I will be filing a BBB report.

After a couple weeks; although I thought my clutch "felt" great I began smelling the burning smell again. I called Customer Care again to report what was happening, they were even more rude and told me if I took it back it it was my choice but the file was closed and there was nothing they could do about it.

I continued to drive noticing the smell again every now and then. I took it in for service at my local dealership last week and ask them to check the clutch as well. Guess what the seal is leaking clutch fluid and needs to be replaced! I called Pontiac customer care AGAIN, to let them know that I would be taking the car in next week to have the clutch repaired, the first person I dealt with was very very rude, started bringing up all the stuff from before, I stated "look I am just doing what I was told to do, letting you know that there is a problem and I am taking it into a dealer that I trust to get it fixed" the operator hung up on me. I called back and got a different person, he was very helpful explained the process to me, apologized for the bad experiences I had had with the other operators, and re-opened my file for a second opinion by the local dealership. I still don't expect much from Pontiac as I am very disenchanted with them, but just wanted to let anyone who is having clutch problems with a manual G6 know that there IS A PROBLEM with the seal and or actuator leaking! IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • weezy5weezy5 Posts: 1
    hello, i have a 05 pontiac g6 gt my transmission has been slipping really bad in first when i start off and slips shifting to 2nd gear then fine after that. any clue as to a simple fix or think its just done? and if so does anyone have a clue how much gettin a new will set me back??
  • I left the long story in the G6 convertible section. So long story short... Bought a brand new 2008 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible 8/20/08. Paid about 30,000. Didn't really like the way it took off or accelerated (I don't know if this has something to do with a faulty transmission or if this is actually how the car drives). 3/13/09 started have shifting problems. On the highway it wouldn't upshift and was running up to 5000 rpm's going about 60-65. Taking off from a stoplight it revved up pretty high and was barely moving then suddenly kicked in and tires spun. Shop told me to bring it in on Monday. Over the weekend I didn't really drive it. My husband took it out on Sunday and it was driving fine. So I took it in on Monday and they couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. Treated me like I was some dumb lady when I told them my tranny was going out. At this time I imagine my car had around 8,000 miles. So I told them I'd drive it till either the check engine light came on or until it quit working. I drove it around the rest of that month and the beginning of April with no problems. Then around the 10th it started kinda stalling when it was shifting. Still no check engine light though. So on the 15th I drove it up to a friend's house. By time I got off the highway it was really acting up. When I would try to go I could pretty much floor it and it would barely go. Took forever to get up to speed. I get to her house and realize I'm blocking people in so I go to back out of my spot and the reverse doesn't work. How embarrassed was I to push my practically brand new vehicle back. It has between 9,000 and 10,000 miles now. I had to get it towed to the dealership and they gave me an egg on wheels (Chevy Cobalt). Friday I called to see if they figured out what was wrong. They told me it had an internal transmission problem and they had to completely rebuild the tranny. I was tempted to ask if this was the same transmission they told me nothing was wrong with a month earlier. They must think I'm psychic or something.
    So any ways... I was totally devastated. I was crying, I don't want a car that I can't trust. I am so upside down on it right now that I can't trade it in anytime soon. I hate my car and really want to get something else but there's nothing I can do until I can get it paid down a bit more. I just don't feel the same way about it anymore. Does anyone have any ideas? lol
    Well, don't feel bad. As I am so in tune with a car too. I can figure out something is wrong easily over time. So you observing that is totally normal. Perhaps take the car to another dealer, get a GM rep out there. Or perhaps drive the car until it gets worse, to the point where they finally see it. It all under warranty. Its so annoying when they claim nothing is wrong. You feel like a moron. Hello? I certainly wouldn't come in just to make something up, and have people messing around with my car. If nothing was wrong, I would NOT bring it in. Duh!

I actually think something is wrong with my transmission too. I have the 4cyl G6 sedan, and when it accelerates at about 40mph, with normal not fast acceleration it shifts quite hard into the next gear. There is 1 gear that seems to shifts rough. Also if I am in traffic going about 30-40mph, it shifts up and down a gear quite rough. Its almost like a lunging affect. I hate the engine!!! :lemon: It was never shifting real smooth when I bought it, especially that first gear, its so rough. I just thought it would get better with time. Breaking it in. But, it seems like it is getting a bit worse with time now. I am not hard on my engine, and when I accelerate, just let is ride up to speed, that is when it really just sorta lunges, roughly nudges right into gear. Who knows it might not be the 1st gear, but one of them is getting bad. Now, if I accelerate with a bit more punch, it will be a little less rough, but you can still feel it. I am not sure why they put the torque line so high up in the power curve? It makes sense to have it in the lower end.

When I take the car to get an oil change I am going to have them look at it. I am going to word it with a trust worthy person I know there. There is something wrong with my transmission. It lunges into gear. It feels like its slipping a bit. It embarrassing, because it might do that when I have people in the car. Now of course, it'll act perfect when they take it out. BUT, I am going to take out another similar G6, same specs. See what it feels like. My car has about 15k miles. It should not be acting like that.

I know the pain you are talking about. If you take that kind of pride in a car, it is disappointing to have no one believe you, and there is trouble with it. I lease my 08 G6, I want out!! Love the car itself, but the engine is truly a disappointment. I hate it! I miss my Honda engine!!!

Go to another dealer, contact GM, get a case started. Just give them as much information as you can. Drive another car like yours, have them ride in both.
  • Well they have to believe me now, it's in the shop having the transmission completely rebuilt and they're footing the tow bill and my rental car bill. Is there a way to get out of buying this car? I know I've had it for 8 months now, but I'm so unhappy with it. I have never hated one of my vehicles before now. I know more has to go wrong with it before I can do the lemon law. I had asked them if they'd just trade me cars or something, lol. They weren't going for it. To me I'd think a transmission going out on a vehicle would lower the value later on. I don't know that for sure. Some people would think it's just fine since it's been rebuilt. But in my opinion I kind of think of it as tainted or something. Can't really think of the words, but I just don't trust it now. I had a car before that the transmission went out on and it seemed once we replaced it we kept having problems with it. So you think I should contact GM? What would I say?
    I am glad they are trying to fix it, but you are right. It is not always good to re-do the whole thing, because it is never the same as a true factory spec model. It could have problems. But, then again it could be just fine. Just what it needed. I would give GM a call and nicely, but firmly talk to them about the issue. You no longer have a untouched product, its been in the shop, the tranny has been rebuilt. Honestly, they probably won't allow you to get out the car. But, try to do everything you can to get out. Seek all options. Talk to your dealer about getting out. Document everything, every paper, forms. It will help support your problem. Honestly, I personally think having a tranny rebuilt is grounds enough for an owner to get out. I certainly would not feel confident about it. I lease or buy new for a reason. It defeats the whole purpose. The transmission is a BIG deal. I am not sure things are ever the same after you mess around in the engine bay.

If you think about it, you will have a new car, but a rebuilt transmission. You try to sell the car later, its documented, people will look at that. Instant value drop.
    Is that your fault? NO! I would push to get out, as you no longer have a "new" car. I would file a report, either lemon with the tranny, (because the tranny is a lemon). Be firm. I certainly would NOT be forced to drive the car. In fact, I would tell them right off, If the tranny has to be re-built, I do not want the car, as the company is breaching their end of the deal, and I no longer have a satisfactory product, and will fact the issue in the vehicle report for the life of the car. That is not right, I am so picky when it comes to cars.

You no longer have a clean, new product, its been re-built! A bad tranny is a lemon. Be nice, and firm. Get yourself another car. This is not your fault. Its bad enough GM has value problems, let alone "re-built tranny" that screams out lemon!
    I did some research online...... and guess what I found? Well I found a similar complaint about the 08 G6 4cyl transmission or engine. Stating it jolts, lunges, lacks pick up when its around 20-45mph. That is EXACTLY what my car is doing. They took it to the dealer and they first did not see anything. But, later found it was a problem. So perhaps its not just me! Even when I first got the car with 200miles on it. I noticed its shifted a bit rough, but 15k miles later, it still feels the same. Though when just accelerating normal, just letting the car ride up to speed. I wait for it to get up to about 45-50mph, and sure enough, you can literally feel the transmission jolt right into place. Now, I am sure most would not call that normal.

Also, if I am in traffic, the transmission just goes up and down the one gear when going 20-40mph. You can feel it roughly slip back and forth into gear.

I am very well in tune with a car... and it just doesn't feel "normal". I do realize its not the Accord 4cyl engine I had, but it seems like that can't be the norm for an engine. Perhaps I am not crazy.