Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Transmission

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I hope everything goes well today, pmadams. If we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch by sending an email to socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Sarah, thanks for your response. I am extremely frustrated. I took it to a mechanic and they said they have no other answer except to put a brand new shifter in the car. Why would a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it need a new shifter? Why is it that when I google the problems, the G6 is plagued with this issue, including listed in an 09 recall that said the same issues I have,cruise working intermittently and it being extremely hard to get out of park? If it was a shifter it would gradually get worse and worse until the part failed, not intermittently and out of the blue. I just want to be able to have a trained Pontiac technician look at it, and find the issue since they would be familiar with any past recalls, technical issues with this type of car. Is there a way that I can get that done and who do I speak to? I have already had two diagnostics done, and am way beyond frustrated with this issue. I have never had this type of issue with any vehicle that I have owned.
    We'd be happy to help you locate a dealership that services Pontiacs. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com that includes your name/Edmunds username, request for assistance in locating a Pontiac dealer (Christina, my coworker, answers inbound emails), and your ZIP code.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    An automotive organization would like to speak with used car buyers who bought cars that they later found out were not up to date on recall repairs. If you are willing to discuss your experience, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pmadamspmadams Posts: 4
    Service department at dealership talked with GM engineer. He was told to change the tranny fluid. Cost $169 since it was classified as regular maintenance and not covered under extended warranty. Boyfriend picked car up after work and it hard shifted coming out of the dealer's driveway and several times on the way home. I drove it to dinner and it happened 3 more times. Have to wonder if they road tested it after changing the fluid.

Sarah...any ideas here?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Strange a GM engineer would say to change transmission fluid for hard shift.
    Any code would cause it, make Pressure Control Sensor {PCS} go to full pressure. IAT sensor bad, would.
    Needs to be scanned.
    We'd be happy to follow up on this for you; please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following details: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, the name of your dealership and any details about your recent visit (date, diagnosis, etc).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Dealership left msg that they ordered several parts that will be installed on Monday 4/23. Will post follow-up as to the parts and outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed :)
    I think the dealership may have finally fixed the hard shift problem on our G-6. It hasn't happened again since we picked the car up on 4/26 and runs great.

Here are the comments on our receipt:
    Remove Trans Ubit (?). Replace complete valve body and necessary gaskets. Flush cooler lines, perform alignment then reinstall transmission.

Parts included: Housing, Band ASM, Valve Sol, Trans Kit, Plate ASM, Harness, Gasket and Fluid.

Our extended warranty covered everything including a rental car for 2 days.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    The ? mark would be unit, typo.
  • Ok i need some assistance. I bought the 09 G6 at 20,000 miles. It is now at 28,000 miles. I bought it knowing something was off with the air because it didnt blow cold and guy said it just needed refilled and so i refilled it and it stayed cold but everyone kept saying the clutch in the compressor was going out. So im driving down the road and my car wont shift. The rpms are at 5 and still wont shift. Then it finally JERKS into 2nd and it is starting to lose power and the power steering is messed up. So im thinking, its the compressoe bc the guy said the car would completely shut off when belt broke from compressor going out but i call around and they say that is not common things for it to be doing when a compressoe goes out. Now my mileage says error, has check engine light and makes a kind of grind turninf on and off. Ive not had ANY technical issues with this car besides the deal with the compressor and now this issue.? Does anyone know anything.? I dont want to get it towed somewhere for them to tell me something stupid or something like they dont know or what have you. Somebody please help.
  • Good morning g6owner2,

If we can check into information on any existing warranties you may still have on your vehicle, please send us your inquiry, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, the car has 59,000 miles. I was driving home on Saturday night, stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green I hit the gas and it just reved up like the car was in neutral. I figured out the car will go forward when you put it in slap stick mode and will still reverse, does anyone know what could be the problem! Please Help!
  • Good afternoon tsousley,

We hope you get some helpful technical insights from other members of the forum soon (we cannot, unfortunately, provide much technical troubleshooting over the internet). If you want for us to check into any warranty or recall information on your vehicle, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information at socialmedia@gm.com

• I have a 2009 G6 V6 also with 52,000 miles and I have had exactly the same problem. I don't know if I still have a warranty and what dealership I could take it to. Not sure what the problem could be but am having what seems to be transmission problems at about 40 MPH and sometimes when idle.
  • Good afternoon cosentino10,

If you had wanted for us to check into your warranty information and potentially help you find a dealership in your area, please send us the following information via email at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and contact information (especially your ZIP code), and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hello,

I have been having the same problems and apparently I took it to the dealer and he said that its one of the spark plugs in the cylinder 1. So, my question is how do I trust its the cylinder. Generally if one of the plugs are bad they have to set a code and somehow there has been no error code set. My warranty ends June 2013 and I dont want the trans to break down after the warranty. Any more updates on this issue as to what is wrong.

Thanks,
    Jan
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    ljanardan,

If you had wanted for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT coupe. I bought it used from a GM dealership 3 years ago and have had nothing by continuous problems since I bought it! Brakes, ball joints (already a few times each!!), and transmission problems. I am afraid to even know whats wrong with it, because its always expensive, and like most people, don't have the money to fix it asap. The transmissions likes to kick from 1000rpm to get to 2000rmp, ALL the time. I notice it the most when I am on the highway. It has to be the transmission. I am also having issues with the alignment. Everytime I get work on my car, it gets re-aligned and lasts for about 2months and then I feel like i'm always trying to keep my car straight!.Please help!! I am a daughter of a GM employee of 30+ years so GM is what we always buy out of loyalty, but these problems are making me want to buy a honda or something not north american!! Please help!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    victoriajvg,

If you would like for us to check into this further with your involved dealership, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service