Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Clutch & Transmission Questions

Comments

• CeeeeCeeeeCeeeeCeeee Posts: 25
    edited May 2011
    Not long ago someone on this forum posted explicit directions on how to drive a manual transmission MINI. And, yes, the directions clearly were different from how the rest of the world (non MINI drivers) has been driving standard transmission cars for decades! Good luck, everyone!
  • I have a 06 mini cooper hardtop automatic and was wondering if it has a CVT transmission,
    the dealer said it did not however, on the internet I keep getting mixed answers, hoping to get the final answer here.

Does my 2006 have a CVT transmission?

Thank you.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,979
    If it is an '06 base Cooper, and it's automatic, then it should be the CVT..

If it is an -S-model, it is a traditional automatic (6-speed).

This is from Edmunds review of the '06:

The base Cooper is powered by a 1.6-liter inline four that makes 115 horsepower. This isn't much power by today's standards, but with only 2,300 pounds of car to propel, it's not dreadfully slow. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, and a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) with an automanual mode is optional.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• alexkid70alexkid70 Posts: 2
    I'm stressing over what to do. I bought a used 09 Cooper s about two months ago. 15,500 miles so car is practically new. I have put about 2500 miles on it and I was just told the clutch needs replacement. Heard the same grinding sound others mentioned. What to do? Mini cooper dealer says they dont cover clutches, dealer where i purchased it is telling me the same. help!
  • alexkid70alexkid70 Posts: 2
    After stressing about this car yesterday I decided to trade it in while it still ran and held some value. Picked up a new mazda with cool features for a lot less. I would never buy this car ever again. My mission is tell everyone i come in contact with, what a piece of crap the Mini Coopers are.
  • mtoolemtoole Posts: 2
    What was the final outcome with Crevier. I am in the same situation. My 2011 Mini Cooper has less that 4000 miles on it and the clutch went out. They are calling it "abuse". I did go to Mini USA and they didn't/wouldn't do anything about it.
  • mtoolemtoole Posts: 2
    I took your advice. I've been really nice for 2.5 weeks now. Mini USA looked at the car. I also dealt with a customer service person at BMW. They continue to say it's "driver profile" and abuse on a 2011 Mini Cooper with only 4000 miles on it. I have driven manual transmission cars for over 20 years without replacing a clutch, let alone the fly wheel. I am dealing with Crevier in Santa Ana. Any other advice. I am not paying for a new clutch and fly wheel on a new car.
  • CeeeeCeeeeCeeeeCeeee Posts: 25
    Not that long ago there was a thread on how MINI USA says their manual transmission MINI's are to be driven. Having learned to drive on manual transmission cars many years ago and having driven a myriad of such cars all my life, I had never come across these guidelines. So, maybe there are differences in how MINI clutches needed to be treated. Too bad the people who sell us MINIs know this and don't let their buyers know this up front! I have driven automatics for the past 10 years. My 2004 automatic MINI basic had it's own challenge.....a transmission needing replacement at 60K miles, for instance....of course, not under warranty! This is not a user-friendly car. Cute....but not so much so under the hood!
  • pstrompstrom Posts: 3
    to give you a update i took my brand new car out of the dealer because they would not warr the repair as like i said the mechanic and the shop forman have super sonic sense of smell...i towed a new car to bullet peformance in santa ana about 5 miles form the dealer and had it repaired... then i turn in the complant to the B A R and filed a complant it is now in the B A R S hands as they are checking into the complant.. i would contact the B A R and file a complant also.so they have another complant about the same clutch issues..
  • deron3085deron3085 Posts: 3
    Mission Accomplished

I was sold, it was a done deal, I was ordering a brand new Mini Cooper S Convertible with multiple packages....was going to drop over 36K and was ready to put down a 1K deposit.

Thank God I stumbled across this clutch debacle first...now Mini/BMW will never see one single red cent.

Sorry for those who have had to deal with this joke, but I am thankful for everyone who have meticulously documented this ridiculous scandal and are sparing the rest of us the impending :lemon: nightmare.

You can take solace in the fact that your efforts have directly prevented a sure fire purchase. MINI/BMW are you listening...do you care?
  • pstrompstrom Posts: 3
    as of your last post did you ever get Crevier. did you ever get them to replace your clutch under warr?
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    I know they are cute and can fly.
    However, they have had so many problems with the Geartrag tranny. People are screaming for class action suits and 71 year old drivers who were weaned on MT's are being blamed for blowing the transmissions,even old ladies.
    Edmunds rates the Mini as top notch, instead of mentioning all the problems they quash it. ( so much for creditability)
    The Mexicans have been assembling Fords cars as far back as the tracer and beyond and they have it right. I know the Brits need alot of oversight by BMW to get this right.
    I wish Edmunds would step up and say beware. I feel bad for these people being sqeezed for 2k up tp 6 k for a new tranny .
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,458
    edited June 2011
    Edmunds rates the Mini as top notch, instead of mentioning all the problems they quash it. ( so much for creditability)

I still find it entertaining whan folks claim some type of collusion between a auto reviewer (Edmunds, Consumer Reports. etc.) and a manufacturer. Unless you have some type of definitive evidence, all you are stating is your own opinion.

The Mexicans have been assembling Fords cars as far back as the tracer and beyond and they have it right. I know the Brits need alot of oversight by BMW to get this right

How do you know?

If you spend a little time scanning some of the other threads you may find many who disagree that cars manufactured in Mexico are so great. Quite a few would disagree on your "they have it right" analysis.

I wish Edmunds would step up and say beware. I feel bad for these people being sqeezed for 2k up tp 6 k for a new tranny .

Unfortunately, everyone isn't capable of effectively driving a car equipped with a manual transmission. Of course, when any of those drivers drop a transmission or burn out a clutch it MUST be defective product, and it couldn't have anything to do with their driving characteristics....No way!

As an example, one recent driver survey found that almost 80% of drivers rate themselves above avarage in driving ability....

I don't claim that some defective product makes it to the street. That's an issue with any manufacturer. And, every manufacturer has its own group of disgruntled "detractors".
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    I suggest you go back and read the last 21 posts
    The past 6 years on the Mini Forum I 've read the discusions how Mini has screwed over sooo many people. Sorry pal do your HW.. I'm on my fourth BMW and I never have had any problems, but I go new every 2 or three years.
    I've been following the mini's tranny problems for years. Nothings changed and there are alot of Mini driver's having aniety problems. :lemon:
    edited June 2011
    I would suggest you follow your own advice and check out a few other forum threads on other makes/models.

There isn't one with any significant posting activity that doesn't have some amount of disgruntled posters.

"Cherry picking" postings does little to support your argument, and considering the large number of (in this case) Mini's that have been manufactured over the last decade, the relatively few postings on Edmunds seem about what one would expect.

By the way, according to the BMW Group reporting documents, over 240,000 Minis were built in 2010 alone.

Just curious... What number of complaints such as those concerning clutch failures would YOU say constitute a significant enough amount in order to be extreme, based on such a yearly production number?

24,000? 2400? 240? Maybe just 24?
    All manufacturers have problems. One of BMW's recent ones has been the HPFP on the N54 engines. It's a real issue... An issue that has upset many owners, but overall, it hasn't slowed sales nor hurt the company image much. Nor have run flat tires.

However, to suggest a brand is "lousy or substandard" based on a few posted comments or to suggest sites such as Edmunds are in "bed" with a manufacturer (or deliberately hiding/withholding information) is nothing more than wishful thinking, IMO.
  • stardude82stardude82 Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Has anybody heard if there are supply issues with the Aisin
    slush boxes?
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    I went to a dealer yesterday to look at a Cooper S and was told inventories are lower than normal and special orders may take longer due to transmission supply problems from Aisin. Not sure if that was just talk or reality.
  • llcrabbiellcrabbie Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 MINI that has 18000 miles. The dealership just called me and informed me that my clutch is probably bad. I've driven the car less than normal use, and I drive like a normal person.... I had a MINI One when I was living in England and the only parts I had to buy for the car in 4 years was brake pads and new tires. This is a little ridiculous! Hopefully South Bay MINI can help out a little bit.
    Did you buy the car new or used, and is it an "S" or base model?

Also, was it from the dealer doing the service currently?
  • llcrabbiellcrabbie Posts: 3
    I bought the car used. I bought it with 4700 miles.... in late 2009. In other words I have driven it 13k miles in 2 years. I don't consider that to be a lot since a leased car can be driven 12k miles / year.

Yes, the dealership is doing the service currently. The good news is that they are going to push to get my replacement of the clutch and flywheel paid for.

Shouldn't this be considered a problem that they should just fix?

Its a MINI Cooper S, and it has some minor upgrades but it is a JCW.