Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Clutch & Transmission Questions

Comments

• My transmission is broken and need to replace it. Does anyone know if a 6 speed transmission will fit?
  • abjnabjn Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a manual '03 Cooper S with under 50k and I've recently had problems with the shifter not going into gear, any of the gears. The clutch doesn't feel any differently than before, so I don't think the problem is there, but the shifter acts as if it is frozen or stuck in neutral. It does this when the car is running and when it sits parked. It then un-sticks itself and drives like normal, either minutes or a day or so later. The weather has been a bit colder, under 25, but we experienced below 0 temps this winter and it didn't act up then. Has this happened to anyone else? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
  • Could you please send me email chain....I am in the same predicament. Thanks
    a bunch
  • ramquistramquist Posts: 7
    I need an email address
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Please do not post email addresses on the forums. If you wish another member to have access to you email address, click on the Forum Preferences link and change your email setting to "public". This will allow registered forums users, and only registered CarSpace forums users, to see your email address by clicking on your username.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• winniepwinniep Posts: 18
    your email address is listed as private and I can't send you an email with info. If you could unlock it for today, I will check back later. (In regards to class action)
  • sadminisadmini Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Mini with 103,000 miles on it and the transmission suddenly went out. The dealer quoted me at $9,000 to repair the it, which is essentially the value of the car. Has anyone had any luck with extended warranties or with the dealer?
  • bfromholdbfromhold Posts: 38
    Wow, sorry to hear that! :( Was the repair quote from the MINI dealer... I know you mentioned a dealer, but not sure if it was specially MINI? You should check with a reputable transmission shop that specializes in MINIs. Their quotes have got to be cheaper than $9,000. We've got a few repair facilities that work on MINIs here in WA State, but I'm not sure where you live.
  • kac035kac035 Posts: 3
    Hi all, I bought my 2003 MINI out after my lease last year, and just financed the remaining payment, roughly around $9K in loans. (Blue book value around 9K)
    I had planned to pay it down for another year and then use it as a trade in or sell it to CarMax.

Unfortunately, my automatic transmission has died on me abruptly, to the estimate of $7500 from a local mechanic to replace. (It's out of warranty)

I called MINI customer service, who suggested I tow it out to their dealership so they could take a look. I am hoping for either a goodwill repair, or having them give me a good deal on a trade in for the broken MINI.

Anybody have any other options or ideas?

I tried taking it to Toyota for a trade in estimate, which is putting $2500 on it. Which still leaves me $6500 in upside down loans.

My only saving grace is that I live in the city and could make do without a car for a while. Thoughts? Suggestions?
  • CeeeeCeeeeCeeeeCeeee Posts: 25
    I will never buy another MINI knowing what I now know about the transmission/clutch problems. I have decided to drive my 2004 MINI with its new factory installed transmission....courtesy of the dealership which sold me this car just a few thousand miles ago and tried to tell me the replacement of this transmission wasn't covered....into the ground. I will then give it to the Salvation Army. Have you had to replace a tire yet? Another "Gulp!!!!!"
  • I am having the 2nd clutch put into my 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible within 50K miles. The first clutch was put into the vehicle at 18K miles and was covered under warranty. The latest adventure this week resulted in a call from MINI service yesterday telling me it would cost me $2600 minimum to have the clutch replaced. When I explained to the gentleman at Dreyer & Reinbold in Indpls that I had already had 1 clutch replaced under warranty and that I didnt feel I should be responsible for another faulty clutch 32K miles later, he said he would check into it. I just received a call telling me they were going to handle the full clutch repair under warranty again.

It sounds like, even though I have been frustrated by what is obviously a known clutch issue with the Mini Coopers from 2005, I am at least fortunate to be working with a dealership who stands behind their products. I enjoy the car very much, but knowing what I know today, not sure I would purchase another one.
    In addition to the 2004 MINI, I also have a 2003 BMW 525i and both dealerships share the same lot/garage/etc. Today, I was having the BMW serviced and I happened to mention "my other car", the MINI. Well, first question was, "How do you like it?" I explained about the automatic transmission problems and the clutch problems, as well. I said I was not the only one. The person's response was, "Well, you are not hearing from the 9000+ other MINI owners who are satisfied." Yeah, right!
  • kac035kac035 Posts: 3
    Update, the dealership has called me back saying they will give me no money at all towards the trade in, so I am out $9000. Customer service will not return my calls. Anybody have an email address for them?
  • In the continuing saga of my mini cooper experience, new clutch at 2200 miles,new oil pump 6000 miles, 4th set of tires at 13000 miles. Failed ball joint and knuckle joint on passenger side 14000 miles. Complained of excessive oil use 3 quarts in 1000 miles no smoke or oil on the driveway. Dealer discovered oil leaking from rear engine oil seal removed seal to find crankshaft had over 1/2 inch of play that had effectively destroyed all main bearings. Engine, transmission and clutch plus front end were replaced under warranty within $4000.00 of the value of the car. Why they just did not give me a new one I'll never know. The crankshaft problem meant that only 70% of the clutch contacted the flywheel which caused scorching and excessive wear. Have your dealers check the crankshaft if your clutch is failing early.
  • But I am SCARED TO DEATH! LOL! The one I want to purchase is a 2003 standard shift (5 speed) with 57K in miles. The car is in Nashville, TN at the CARMAX dealership. Here is my question, since it seems MINIs have to go to a BMW dealership for service, is there a way to track repairs that may have been done to that car by it's VIN number?

I want to know what has been done as far a maintenance on that car to date and, hopefully, that would give me some idea as to what I will be facing in maintenance costs.

Any ideas would be helpful!
    and I wish I had known the repair/maintenance history on my MINI before buying it at 44,000 miles. Because the MINI dealership I bought it from told me they would guarantee it until 100,000 miles, I purchased it. Twenty thousand miles later the transmission failed and the dealership tried to tell me it was NOT covered! I stood there and reminded them I argued the point of the car having 44,000 miles on it and was reassured I needn't worry because of the coverage until 100,000 miles. They replaced the transmission at their cost entirely. I think you are right to be concerned. Let us know if you find a way to track the service history on the car you are interested in.
  • wilemakeitwilemakeit Posts: 17
    If you bring your key into the dealer they can tell you all the info you need.
  • minivaminiva Posts: 1
    Out on a mission of good will, I suddenly lose 1st gear and before you know it I've lost all gears and the smell of burning plastic or something....Just got home from having the car towed home. Tomorrow I will have it towed ($100 +) to the nearest mini dealer over 27 miles away. I've been trying to get an appointment with them for the catalytic converter replacement (recall) and to do some basic maintenance but it's over a month wait. Now this! No gear engagement at all. I'm so distressed about this. No, it's not a life. No, I didn't get into an accident. Ok. Grateful. Got it. But the car and the LACK OF RESPONSIVENESS of the dealerships. I moved here from California with my then 1 year old mini last summer. Sad state of affairs here in Virginia for mini dealerships. Anyone know any non-dealer mini mechanics inside the Beltway? Any thoughts about the clutch drama?
  • My husband and I have been looking at buy a 2004 auto mini cooper, do all mini's have cvt transmissions? and would you recommend buying one?
    I have a 2004 automatic MINI. I bought it from the MINI dealer when it had 44,000 miles. Having that many miles scared me but I was reassured when told it carried a 100,000 warranty. At 60,000 miles the automatic transmission died on me......middle of my block! So, I had it towed to my dealership/garage and was told it was the automatic transmission and it needed a whole new one. Then I was told it wasn't covered under the warranty. You could have heard me a mile away!!!!!! They replaced the transmission free of charge. It now has 63,000 miles and they are trying to get me to trade it in for a brand new MINI. Not only will I not do this, but I am recommending that no one buy a MINI unless they are ready to pour lots of money into it. Do you realize the tires on the MINI are run-flat tires and cost $400 EACH to replace?
  • bfromholdbfromhold Posts: 38
    ericabliss1017 -

Only the "non S" MINIs have the CVT transmission. If the 2004 MINI that you're considering buying is a MINI (not an S), it most likely has the CVT. I have an '06 MINI Cooper S and it has a 6-spd automatic transmission, but it is NOT the CVT.

Also, after I used up my stock runflat tires, I went to non-runflats. I carry a fix-a-flat and a compact portable air compressor in the boot (trunk). So far, I've not had to change any flat tires the past three years. Oh, and MINIs (non S) have a spare so there's no worry about having to buy runflats. The "S" doesn't have room for a spare underneath because of the dual exhaust whereas the "non S" carries it there. Runflats sell for $164 or less at Discount Tire and other comparable tire stores. Here's an example of runflats for sale: Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 Run Flat, 195/55R-16 87V XL RF and they can be found by this link: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=1&rcz=98446&ar=55&rf=true&r- d=16&rc=WASINT&cs=195&dVeh=dVeh&tc=KUMHF2&yr=2004&pc=33729&cf=false&vid=007436&s- w=false
    for all the good information. I had no idea the "S" models didn't have the CVT transmission. Of course, when I bought my non-S model, I had no idea there were transmission issues at all! My non-S 2004 does not have a spare or room for one. Your idea of carrying a compressor and running with regular tires makes sense. I did purchase new run flats at a discount tire place for considerably less than the manufacturer's issue. However, they were still very, very expensive when compared to regular tires. I've dealt with this same tire store before and have had wonderful luck with their tire maintenance, etc. So....I feel safe for the life of my MINI....as far as the tires go. Wish I felt the same way about my NEW CVT transmission! Grrrrrrr!
  • jeffshaw1jeffshaw1 Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Mini S. with 101,000 miles. The clutch is getting pretty stiff and likely needs to be replaced. The car is in prime condition inside and out. No dings or dents. I love the car in spite of the high costs associated with maintaining this vehicle. Should I replace the clutch ($1700 or so?) given so much discussion about transmission failure? As for the transmission failures, are there early warning signs of impending failure or is it an immediate onset that can't be predicted?

Thank for the advice.
    ease your transmission fears. Sounds as though you have a manual transmission. As far as I know, the transmission problems seem to exist soley with the basic Mini models and only with those which have automatic transmissions. Not 100% positive about this. Also heard that the S models do not have the same kind of transmissions the automatic models do. No transmission problems with the "S"s. My transmission problem (2004 automatic/basic MINI) gave me absolutely no warning. One minute everything was normal; the next everything was DEAD.....and this was in midstream.....going down my street. Now that I have a new transmission, I'm hoping things stay calm for awhile. Good luck!~
  • well i have a 2003 mini and i just replace the clucth on it . i only haved 67000 on it.warranty didnt cover it ,cuz it was ware and tear.it cust me like 1,200.just to replace. parts and labor.$80 an hour.the clutch didnt give any signs. just stop working ,no gear would go in.and it smell like burned plastic and it squiled like a pig.like it was rubbing against sumthing.i like my mini but my wife tell me to trade it in.i dont want to. i like when people do the double take to look at my car..hopefully i helped u on ur choice.my mini has 78,000 right now. ;)
    I am on my fourth set of tires. My first set, runflats, lasted just 10,000 miles. I replaced these with non-runflats. I now have 101,000 miles on my Mini S (2003) and have never had a flat while on the road or otherwise. Something to consider: runflats can not be repaired. Since this is the case, being towed resulting from, or arriving at a station with a flat, it's likely you will have to wait until the service station or whatever can get you a replacement tire. If you have a non-runflat tire with a flat, it may be able to be plugged and you are on the road in no time. However, if you have runflats, you will have to wait until the correct size tire can be located, sent to the service station, and then put on your car. This could be overnight or longer. The high cost of runflats seem not to be worth the extra price and possible delay with tire repairs. I'm using Firestone tires and have been happy thus far with more than 35,000 - 40,000 miles per set.
    I love my Mini as well. I just hate the costly repairs. I hate car payments also, so I am deliberating and agonizing over my decision. Like you, I appreciate all of the looks my car gets when we're on the road. I love getting into it each time I drive it. I haven't ever felt this much satisfaction in a car before. Other than the power steering motor (replaced twice), breaks, both front window motors, oil pan gasket, front end bearings, and four sets of tires, I haven't had any trouble.

What I don't need is a transmission problem. I need a new clutch, but I may sell the car rather than make this repair.
  • seve83seve83 Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2008 Mini Clubman S about two weeks ago. Great car, took it on a 1500 mile trip and had no problems. Until yesterday....... When driving to work my transmission failed completely and I suddenly lost all power. It's at the dealer now and the tow driver noted that the transmission appeared to be completely gone since the wheels would not stop turning even when the car was in park. It has approximately 1800 miles on it.

I am awaiting word from the dealer and Mini Corporate about what they are going to do to address this issue.

Anyone else have a similar problem with an '08?
  • I have a 2004 Mini with over 70000 miles on it and just got the clutch replaced. Now that I got it back it's making this rattling sound when I accelerate it. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • i replaced my clucth too. i had i think like 72000 on it when i got it back it made a clunkie noise when i got off on first.like it something was rubbing. took it back and they didnt found anything with it.so went home rotated my tires and drove it and the noise went away.i guess they didnt placed the rack-in-pinion right.and by me tighten the wheel on the air,it snaped it in place.try that it might help....i hope i been alittle help. ;)