Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Care and Maintenance

123457»

Comments

• Thinking about 'stepping up' from Accord to C-class. One thing I like about my Accord is the bullet-proof paint & lack of rust - and that's in Buffalo, NY; there is no way to avoid salt and slush here.
    Just wondering if current Benz product can remain rust-free - assuming I buy one that's 2 or 3 years old and keep it for 8 years.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    I spent five months in Germany last year and the only rusty cars I saw wore nameplates from Italy, UK, and Asia (unless you count cars that pre-dated the fall of The Wall). Mercedes C is built to withstand German weather--much wetter than the US, but I don't remember seeing any salt trucks. My 07 C350's paint was completely rust-free when I traded it after 4.5 years.

That said, the paint on my 04 BMW 330CiC was far superior to the 07 MB. After four years of driving, it had zero chips and very few scratches or swirls. Even when careless morons hit it with shopping carts or car doors, it sustained dings but gave up no paint.

Final thought: my MB was jet black--the absolute worst color when it comes to paint longevity...I got palladium silver this time.
  • Thanks Vinny for the info.
  • My red battery/alternator light has been coming on for about 3 months now. It'll come on, I'll shut the car completely off and restart it, and the light goes off. Yesterday, however, I had just started it and had my visor open with the mirror and the light went out, the whole car shook and made a noise, the lights came back on and so did the battery/alternator light. I turned it off and on and it went away, but I still don't know what's wrong with it. We had the car serviced at the dealership in January and they didn't mention it. I'm having the engine mounts replaced at the dealership tomorrow (for $1,145) and I'm wondering if I should tell them...I don't want them to do a bunch of diagnostics and have it cost me an arm and a leg. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Is it easy to remove the multi-function light switch in C-300? Occasionally, the passanger side parking light somehow gets turn on when I move the knob form 'A' position to '0'. I think the switch is faulty. I want to take the switch out and disconnect the wire for the passenger side parking lights - the lights that you would turn on if you parked on the left side of the road and didn't want all parking lights on. I will never use them. Once those 2 lights stayed long enough to prevent me from starting. It is hard to see them during the day when you lock the car and walk away. Other time I saw the lights on (in the evening) as i was coming to the car but I was able to start. I now keep the knob on 'A' or put in A position when I leave the car during the day. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • capaccionecapaccione Posts: 11
    edited March 2012
    Hi
    Just went from a toyota to a c class - I will go back to toyota next time. I want a care I do not need to worry about and the MB is too needy for the New Jersey roads
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    You definitely wouldn't need to worry about a Toyota. It will be as reliable as your microwave oven (and just as exciting too).
  • We currently own a mercedes C250 (2012 model) and have had it for about 8 months. On July 15, 2012 around noon PST, our car was idling at an intersection when it suddenly shut off as if it did not have any power or fuel. We had half a tank of fuel at the time so it was not an issue involving lack of fuel. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this kind of problem? Perhaps it has something to do with the turbo engine, direct fuel injection, or fuel pump? maybe it is just a Mercedes C250 specific issue? Also, I understand there was some solar flare activity that took place on July 15, 2012...perhaps this has something to do with it?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    So did it start back up after the stall?

• After pushing the start button, it started back up like nothing had happened.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    You might have the car's computer scanned for a trouble code---a sudden stall like that could be a lot of things---so just guessing at this point---maybe a faulty camshaft positioning sensor or crankshaft positioning sensor...or just some dirty fuel (water) that got sucked in and burned eventually. Codes would be good to have.

123457»