Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    When service managers say they have a brake problem, that's good enough for me. I have had service, including warranty repairs, at three different dealerships. Two in Ohio and one in Florida. I asked all of them about brake issues. They said they are prone to corrosion and occasional premature seizing. Hyundai of St. Augustine (Florida) said they see the problem frequently on "snowbird" cars, but not on local ones. The problem seems to be that Hyundai brakes are either more prone because of the steel used or the tolerances are too tight so that rust causes premature binding. Yes, other brands are subject to road salt, too. I've lived in a Northern climate all my life and have driven many cars over 100,000 miles and never had this problem before my Sonata.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    I grew up in Chicago, drove there and central Illinois for quite a few years, several different cars, and never had a brake problem until I had a Jeep with a siezed piston in a caliper, in San Diego.

Of course, I don't have a Sonata, I was just checking back if anyone responded yet about my question about the 'precharged' brakes. My wife has a Tucsonthough, and other than warped rotors, no issues.
    Sorry, I have never seen that in a Hyundai commercial. I did a search on line and was directed back to your Edmunds comment, believe it or not! What's the difference between "precharged" and "power boosted", i.e., power brakes?
    Regarding Aqua's quote above, it make sense that corrosion increases the incidents involving rust seized brakes, but if this is the case, shouldn't it be in the service schedule? It's not. And per my experience, eleven months after purchase seems too soon. That was one winter.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    edited May 2010
    Maybe I'm getting the terminoligy wrong. I saw something about it in the pamphlet I had for the 09 Sonata. It was supposed to be like a brake assist. Claimed people usually didn't brake hard enough in panic situations or something, so it 'sensed' or decided if you were in a panic braking situation and applies the brakes even harder. Supposed to be an added safety feature.

Maybe it's invisible to the operator, but I was just wondering if anyone noticed anything about it. I kind of figured not, as no one replied.

P.S. Just went to the Hyundai site, and they still have it. Just called Brake Assist. Says you can stop 20% faster. Determines the pucker factor by how fast you apply the brake.
  • racerbillracerbill Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata with 25000 miles on it and no one said anything about the pads sticking until i heard the grinding noise and to it to the dealer and they said the brakes were worn out and wanted $240 to replace them.No one said anything about needing to lubercate the calipers. So i think that the dealer should stand by this and repair it under the warrentee. I bet you one thing i will not buy another Hyundai if this is the way they are gonna do.I never had a car that the back brakes went out in 25000 miles before and i have had a lot of different cars.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    You must live in one the northern states. Brake pads are a wear item, no manufacturer covers them after the first 12k miles. Some GM and Chrysler vehicles rear brakes wear out around 25k miles even if you lube the calipers. It's all in the material the pads are made out of. I personally own an 06 Sonata LX V6 with over 69k miles, changed my front brakes at 54k miles and have not had to replace my rear brakes yet. Of course I live down here in GA, were brakes on Hyundai's here wear out at around 50k miles, and I know this because I'm a service consultant.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,421
    edited June 2010
    People want quiet, grabby brakes, even on small or mid-size economical sedans and this often requires a very soft and perishable brake pad composition. Engineering struggles with price, and comes up with a compromise.

Racerbill - it's not about wearing out normally, it's about the pads hanging up, i.e., staying stuck against the rotors. I don't know if you're a service consultant for Hyundai or not, but if so, it might be interesting to call one of your colleagues up north. My service mgr told me even the 2011 Sonata hasn't made any changes in the brake setup.I had a problem at 11 months/21,000 highway miles on my '07 Sonata but no problems since. Interesting, though, Consumers latest publication rated 2007 Sonata brakes "poor" but later years seem to fare better. Maybe not enough data yet.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I was a consultant for Hyundai, but I'm a consultant for GM now. When I was at Hyundai, the only time we had issues with the brakes on low mileage Hyundais were the ones that came from northern states. The ones in the southern states only needed replacement on average of around 50k miles. I had mine done at 54k miles, rear still untouched and I'm currently at 69k miles.
    It's definitely a northern problem with the salt on the roads up here. But Hyundai has more of a problem than others. I've driven many cars over the years, all in northern climates, with both drum and disc brakes and never had this problem. My service manager thinks it's either tight clearance, alloys used for the pad brackets, or both. I would consider a 2011 Sonata, but would negotiate a preventive brake job, i.e. opening up the slide clearances, which is how they fix the problem. The downside is that you hear the pads moving when you use the brakes.
  • jbob3798jbob3798 Posts: 7
    I have had my 2011 Sonata LTD since March. I drove from Seattle to Louisiana and back. I have put almost 10,000 miles on it so far. My point is (maybe I am just lucky so far??) that I have had zero problems with power steering or the brakes.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Sounds great. Did you perchance keep track of your mileages from new? Basically I am thinking of the overall mpg for the total mileage you indicated. Actual mileages mean very much more than the gov't guideline.
    Thanks for your reply,
    van
  • jbob3798jbob3798 Posts: 7
    Re: MPG
    Yes, I kept track from day 1 when we drove the car off the lot through my trips back and forth (SEA-NO-SEA). I just zeroed out the mileage last week. But to that point, 8900 miles, averaged 29.3 MPG which included freeway driving and local driving in traffic on surface streets, going through several mountain passes (the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, and mountains from N. Calif to Seattle on I-5 north). Pretty good overall test. I am happy with the mileage.
    Good luck with your 2011. You should have no brake problems if you don't drive it in cold climates where they salt the roads
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Thanks for the info, 29+ mpg overall sounds good to me. I have a 2006 LX V6 and my overall is about 10 mpg less... it is 19 + from mile 1 also. I do use A/C almost always in NW Florida's humidity etc.(Pensacola) I have really been thinking hard about the newer model... biggest problem for me, on a fixed income is the cost to start all over again. My mileage at this point is aprox 25,000 mostly city (local) driving with an annual trip to visit in South Florida (Key West) about 900miles each way, with basically trouble free operation. Thinking about $$$ makes things rough anymore. I have no problems, and am well pleased with the vehicle and the service from the local dealer. Again, thanks.

van
  • racerbillracerbill Posts: 2
    Yes i live in Michigan where it has snow and salt. If the Hyundai Sonada BRAKES get croaded and stick just in the north then i guess we people in the north should not buy the Hyundai Sonata and they should only sell them in the south. When my brakes on the rear on the right side ware out at 25000 miles because the medal they put on gets rusty and the brake pads stick. I think that there is a proublem with the cheap medal they use and that Hyundai needs to fix the problem and i should not have to pay $250.00 ever 25000 miles. The pads i put on are warrenteed for life but i know when the medal sticks again and they wear out at 25000 miles the company is going to say they won't cover sticking parts that wear out the pads so i will be out more money on new pads and rotor.So I think i would be better off to sell or trade this for a Ford.
  • sticks57sticks57 Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Sonata which I purchased new. At 14,500 miles the rear brakes began to drag building up considerable heat. Cost to repair the rust problem at the dealer in Streetsboro, Ohio was $131. I was told by the service department that what ever they did would take care of the problem. I specifically asked if I would have the same problem in another 14,500 miles. The answer was a definite no. I wrote a letter to Hyundai and was told that they had never heard of such a problem. Yeah, right! And guess what? At 28,000 miles the rear brakes were dragging again and building up some serious heat. I had the latest rust problem addressed, but not by the dealer. By contrast, I just had the first brake job on my 2007 Subaru Outback at 86,000 miles! That begs the question; What does Subaru know about brakes in northern climates that Hyundai does not?
    Sticks57 - You might suggest that Hyundai visit this site and this thread.

I have to say that since Great Lakes Hyundai serviced my rear brakes when they seized at 21,000 miles I have had no problems. I now have 77,200 miles on my '07 Sonata. I had the brakes serviced (disassemble, lube slides and reassemble) last month at a cost of under $40 by at Leipold Tire and they said I still have >50% front and back.
    Sheldon (Service Mgr @ GL Hyundai) told me the 2011Sonata uses the same brake setup. I am considering a 2011 but would negotiate the brake "fix" up front as a condition of purchase.
  • ktpmm5ktpmm5 Posts: 3
    I've got a 2006 sonata, 47K miles on it. Took it to our mechanic (not the dealership) and he replace both front and rear pads and rotors for $800. Is this normal? Seems early to be replacing all this from what I am reading. There was no squealing, the brakes just felt "soft" so I took it over for a look. Now I'm wondering why they had to be replaced so early. (Of course my teenagers drive this car so I'm sure there is a lot of stop and go...)