Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Suprise!!! all brake rotors are susceptable to rust because they are untreated iron. The surfaced area (where the pads grip the rotors when applied) is machined smooth but still an untreated iron alloy. Each and every car I have ever owned with disc brakes (including our 2006 Honda Civic) shows light rust virtually within hours of parking it if rain is involved i.e. driving through puddles then parking the car in the drive and if no rain is involved i.e. if the car is parked for a week-end without use light rust STILL is evident through humidity in the air. So, within a few (1 or 2 ) light applications of the brakes will polish or scrub this off. As to the hubs (the non polished or machined surfaces) they too are iron and yes, they will sometimes rust heavily and if the car is used in high salt/chemical use areas in the winter without washing the car frequently they (the rotors) will certainly need replacement. As an example my fathers car, a 1999 Subaru (purchased new) which was driven on very short trips through much of its life (my father was 86 when he passed 2 years ago and didn't drive much or far) needed both front and rear rotors replaced due to heavy rust on the hubs even though the car had less than 40K miles. It was driven in western PA slop parked unwashed through most of the winter and as a result the rotors suffered badly. This is not a "problem' (if it IS a problem) punishable by death but I believe rather common throughout the auto industry since, as stated, rotors are by design untreated iron.
  • ssuydamssuydam Posts: 2
    Let me give you an update on my experience after the previous post. I called the Hyundai hotline that the service manager gave to inform the corporation of the problem with my brakes. Another funny thing, the guy who answered the hotline told me that he has never heard of this "unique" problem of the rear brakes sticking with so little miles on them. I think both the Streetsboro dealership and the Hyundai Corporation are complicit in their criminal ways! My lease is almost up and I'm counting the days on which I drive my last Hyundai. BTW I fixed my brakes myself for about $24.00 sure beats the $500.00 that the dealership tried to pry out of me. Next up: either a 2010 Ford Fusion or 2009 Chevy Malibu!
  • jimmyc3jimmyc3 Posts: 8
    i have a leased 2006 sonata with the same break problem. high pitched squeeky sound that stops when the breaks are applied, then starts again when accelerating. it sometimes stops if i pulsate the break pedal a little. the rear driver side went first at 20k miles, and both were replaced. now the rear passenger side is starting to squeal with 33k miles on the vehicle. i can't wait to turn in this lease. i don't think i should get another sonata. does anyone know if the genesis has the same problem?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Sheesh, how long did you lease this car for? I bought my '05 in April '05, just about 2 months before the '06's came out.

Your daily drive must be hard on the brakes for a rear break to wear out in 20K miles, or else the parking brake was dragging.
  • jimmyc3jimmyc3 Posts: 8
    i don't have a rough commute and our winters are not really bad in morris county nj. i was told by the service at hyundai that the brake problem is due to a build up of rust and debris. he said if i use the emergency brake often it will help to prevent the problem (even though i have an AUTOMATIC '06 sonata).
  • I think I've got a similar issue. I live in St Paul MN and just took my car to the Hyundai dealership service dept b/c I was starting to hear a whistling sound and rear wheel grinding. After a 2 1/2 hour inspection of the brakes they wanted me to pay $650 to get the break pads and rotars replaced. My 2007 Sonata only has 23500 miles. After a $44 dollar inspection I left without any services being performed. I don't feel like one should have to do such repairs on a 2007 vehicle that only has 23500 miles. While at the Hyundai shop a lady who works in sales came by and asked me what I was having done because I'd been there so long. She told me she has a 2007 Sonata and had a similar problem and strongly recommended that I contact Hyundai Customer Service.

I ended up taking my car to Tires Plus (where they do FREE INSPECTIONS) and have much more reasonable rates (and they price matched MIDAS'S price). They replaced my break pads. The rotars were not repaired b/c they had to be specially ordered. I was told that 2007 Hyundai rotars have to come from the dealership and I do not want to pay what they charge for their rotars on this vehicle. I am not happy at all.
  • If I were you I would definitely let Hyundai Customer Service know you are unhappy. Let them know you've read about similar incidents in online forums. And finally, file a complaint with NHTSA, the National Highway Transportation and Safety Board. From what I understand, auto manufacturers (not just Hyundai) can sit on complaints indefinitely, but if they know the NHTSA is investigating, they get a little more serious about it.

Personally, I would like to see a recall. I am NOT happy about facing expensive brake work every 15,000 miles. One reason I bought this car was because I was assured it was low maintenance and had a good reputation. Hyundai is blowing their reputation here.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    You people need to get over it, it's a car. No matter what kind of vehicle you have your're gonna have issues with the brakes because of the climate you live in. Down here in the south,Georgia to be exact, I only had to replace my front brake pads at 55k miles and it only cost me $90.00 due to the fact that a buddy of mine is a Hyundai Tech, so I paid $50.00 for the part and gave him $40.00 for putting them on for me. If I had them done at the dealership it would have cost me about $250.00. Now I don't know what they(NHTSA) can really do considering this problem only happens in winter states during winter season. Does anyone have this issue during the summer months up there?
    I have already posted a "general" explanation concerning brake rotor rust however it seems several posters are undeterred about "blaming" Hyundai and or filing reports with NHTSA. The description concerning your experience about having a brake service every 15,000 miles to aleviate this rust issue is vague. I personally live in the rust belt and Pa has never been accused of skimping on salt/corrosive liquid chemical snow and ice removal application and yet I have never experienced a need to have rust "ground" off my rotors every XXX miles. The rotor and pad interaction (when the brakes are applied) burnishes off any light rust that WILL form on the rotor overnight or when the car sets idle for any period of time. I have owned Hyundai products and in this respect they were/are no different from the Honda Civic we now own. I also own a 1995 Dodge Stratus and by coincidence just had the front pads replaced this past week-end. I had the opportunity to see my front rotors (approx 2 years old ) and they are clean with no evidence of any excess rust. I drive this car summer and winter and accrue over 22,000 miles per year. I do wash the car frequently especially in the winter (to the tune of several times a week) so does that have a bearing??? I am sorry but I simply cannot see a reason to believe this should be a Hyundai problem or a problem at all for that matter.
  • haidonghaidong Posts: 16
    I have the same problem, The dust built in my real rotor, then the dealer said the pad was worn out and the rotor could be resurfaced. I have to spend $400 to change all my rear brake. I contact with Hyundai, they blamed I did not maintain the car and I am in the high salt area. I am in MA.

I will fill the complain, could we go further ?
  • cmallencmallen Posts: 1
    I own a Sonata that is now on its second set of rear brake pads at 32,000 miles. Having owned cars with mixed city and highway driving now for 35 years, I don't recall having replaced brakes much ever before 60,000 miles much less the rear brakes on a front wheel drive twice in 30,000 miles, it is just shocking.

There seems to be wide spread agreement that this should not be happening but not much resource.

Today when picking up my car, they said they had fixed a recall Brake Switch Recall which they assure me had no baring on the brake pad wear. Perhaps this is true? But hard to believe.

I see the one post offering a place to file a complaint. I guess that will be my next action. That I am no longer going to get my service done with Hyundai. My trust is gone.
  • I have a 2007 hyundai sonata that I just leased back in march and having the same problems with the brakes I took to them three time just last week I took it to them for the free oil change and I told then that when I steer to the right it made a noise he said it was rust so i dont know if the last owner ever hade this problem or its just me but they told me they replace the breaks and rotors when they hade it in there back in march I mean car hase more problems but beside that lots of room and fun to drive ill update after I go to the hyundai dealer
  • dawozdawoz Posts: 1
    My 2007 Sonata has 26K miles, and I just paid the Hyundai dealer to replace the rear pads and re-surface the rotors. The service manager explained how he believed the rear brakes wore out so soon: Corrosion on the caliper guide prevented the caliper from returning to a “rest” position once the brake pedal had been released. As a result, the calipers were applied continuously, resulting in premature wear of the caliper pads.

Hyundai subsequently denied my request to cover this repair under their warranty.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to cars, but after seeing several similar stories on this discussion page, it seems to me the premature wear of rear brake pads is a SYMPTOM of the real problem: the caliper guides are susceptible to rust. If that is indeed the case, we are talking about a VEHICLE DESIGN FLAW affecting a rather important component.

I urge those of you with similar experiences to a) Write a letter to Hyundai Motors of America; and b) file a complaint with NHTSA's Office of Defect Investigations. If anyone has another suggestion for follow-up, please share it with this forum.
    To all that are complaining about rear brakes wearing out "frequently" In the recent past rear brakes were simply along for the ride. They did little in stopping the car. I too had a 1987 Taurus on which the original rear brakes lasted about 100,000 miles. I said "wow ain't that great....go Ford" but in reality all it meant was the rear brakes did little in participating in the stopping of the car. The new Sonata (for certain and other makes as well) now has a brake proportioning valve that distributes the braking forces to include the rear wheels. This means that for the first time the rear brakes now have to do their fair share so....they now wear out! Suprise, things that work wear out.....
  • Since when are caliper guides a wear item?
    Those of you saying get over it's car and other stupid remarks sound like Hyundai reps or dealers.
    My '95 Honda @ 198K miles and 2000 Excursion @ 137L miles have never had a caliper guide wear out (I am the original owner of both.)
    I live in upstate New York where we get over 250" of snow per year.
    Our 2008 Sonata with 13K miles is now squeaking because the pads are hanging on it's caliper guides.
    If the brake pedal was hanging up causing the pads not to retrack, it would be a warranty repair.
    I'm complaining to dealer ownership then to Hyundai if I need to.
  • j_zj_z Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2008 Sonata. Dealer said it was normal at 20,000 to need new rear brakes.Before I looked at this thread, noone I talked to had ever heard of such nonsense. I do at least half my miles on the highway. Rediculous.

I had my normal mechanic take a look and he showed me that one of the pads was totally gone while the other pad had normal wear. The Hyundai dealership is just giving me the runnaround.
  • newowner10newowner10 Posts: 227
    If you are saying that on one wheel the pads have different wear it would appear to me that the caliber was not sliding corrrectly. You cannot fight city hall but that is a defect in the brakes.
    Caliper guide...PINS... are not normally a wear item...particularly at low mileage however they do wear out ( I just replaced them and their bushings on our Dodge). I guess you are referring to the guide pins when you talk about caliper guides. They hold the caliper sides together and mount the entire caliper to its support. The typical symptom of worn guide PINS is tapered wear on the pads. Otherwise I cannot identify what the caliper guides you refer to actually are. So, while I am neither stupid or a Hyundai rep or I will tell you that disc brakes on any brand of vehicle all work on the same principal using similar parts and the same technology. I cannot tell you exactly why your brakes squeak nor if that squeak means that there is some malfunction of the brake system or not. but if the pads are not hung up (not retracting) causing them to be "on" whether you apply the brakes or not then the only squeak must be when you apply them and this my friend is pretty much a normal noise....well, maybe not normal but not an unheard of owner complaint either. Further, if this is what you are referring to, then other than this "squeak" being an irritant to you it isn't causing undue wear. I may be mis-understanding what you are trying to say and if so........ Oh and reviewing this series of posts I see that you do not have any specific complaint OR post prior to this reply and maybe don't own a Sonata either, just your 2 cents right?
  • Guys I just spoke with Hyundai corporate due to the fact that my 2.5 year old Sonata with 27k miles on has the grinding noise from the rear due to gone break pads. And I wasn't surprised when they told me they never heard other complaints about this problem. So my pledge to you is : if you havent called Hyundai in California please do so at Phone : (800) 633-5151
    Fax : (801) 736-3561.
    And if they Ask you what do you want tell them that you want to make a complaint. And after that file a safety complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)at theNHTA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. The more noise we make the better chanse we have for a fix by Hyundai so we don't have to change brake pads and rotors every 2-3 years.
  • ray78ray78 Posts: 27
    I owned a 2006 Sonata LX (traded for a new Sonata Limited V-6 ON 03/30/09) and it had 53000 miles on it. No brake problems- in fact it was never in the shop for problems-only for regular service. Best car I ever owned-9 new units in 25 years. No problems with my 09 Limited.
  • Ok for the brake problems it is obviously with people living in the snowy states. I live in Maine. So if your car barely sees any snow please don't say you don't have a problem with them. If you see snow and still don't have a problem with you brakes keep it for your self and enjoy your luck. The rest of us don't make it up. If you think so you can trade yours for mine. The dealerships are also aware of that problem and they know about it. And despite the over dozen problems I've had with my car I still like it enough. And if you wish to know in the first year the problems I had are:
    1. Center console was rattling so it got changed.
    2. Mode button on steering weel was stuck and fixed (twice)
    3. Changed rear suspension due to too much noise when going over potholes. And it took me abouth a month to make them understand that this was the problem.
    4. Air bag sensor under passenger seat. (twice).
    5. Splashing sound from the gas tank when full (due to bad design and they know it).
    There were other but I don't remember them on the top of my head. I was every month for something to be fixed the first year. And we got to the point where on the next problem they were gonna give me another car. Well it never happened untill last week. So people that have no problems with theirs we know you are out there but keep it for yourself and don't brag about it pls.
  • marc46marc46 Posts: 1
    I don't see anyone mentioning the wheel types they have. I have an 07 Sonata with the "European style" 17" wheels with the 5 big spokes. You can practically see the entire rotor and caliper assembly just looking at the wheel so I'm not surprised that there would be a greater tendency toward development of rust with all that exposure. I live out in the country in the midwest and do, on occasion, have to drive through some pretty deep snow. I replaced my own rear brake pads at 60,000 miles when they started making a rubbing noise and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. I find it interesting that the newer models don't have that wheel type any more, but instead have gone to something a little more "substantial".
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    I would think that driving through snow and salt, or whatever any state uses to treat road surfaces in snowy conditions, would get all that gunk on to the rotors, pads etc. regardless of the style of wheels. That stuff gets at the brakes from the inside/underside not the outside.
    I would go small court with hyundai to claim the reimbursement of rear brake repair ( more $400 for the pad and rotor in 32000 miles). It needs 20 minutes statement. Anyone has experience to make the strong statement?
    How long do you expect these components to last would be the first question you will need to answer before you go to court.
    You wound have to determine what the industry standard is.
    What does the average Hyundai Sonata get.
    How will you determine these two things?
    Are you going to hire experts?
    The average Sonata get.32K does not sound like a defect to me. 20K indicates under-size brakes to me but I have no data to support my conclusion
    I will not hire experts.

I found out my brake had defect after I bought the sonata 2 days and the dealer had to do several cut to resurface the rotor. This was the first time they tired to fix my car.

I asked the mechanic guy to check my brake on 30,000 miles, and he told me the rear pad had 70% left. At 32,000 miles, I heard the grinding noise from the back and sent the car to the dealer. The dealer told me the rear pads were gone and the rotor could not be resurfaced. So the whole real brakes were changed.

I contacted with Hyundai, they refused to do anything, So I try to seek the help from BBB, Hyundai still refuse to do anyting, BBB arranged the abitrator for me.

From the begining, Hyundai customer service is pretty bad altitude to me. And they have no intention to solve any problem.
    Maybe I missed the beginning of this post but I did not see where you had the brakes inspected at 30,000 miles and at 32,000 they are metal to metal. That is an important part of the story. I would have assumed they wore evenly for 32,000 miles now they wore down from 70% to 0% in 2000 miles. Was the wear even on both rear brakes? How about the front?

Was the "mechanic guy" the Hyundai dealer or a independent mechanic?
    Someone lied to you if the pads went from 70% to 0% in 2000 miles. Either the mechanic was lying to you about the 70% left statement or he screwed up your brakes. How where the brakes on the front of the car?
    The Front Brake is fine.

The "mechanic guy" is the independent mechanic. he said the front brake is 50% left in 30,000 miles.
    Your original post said 70%. Maybe you should be going after the independent mechanic.
    If I was Hyundai I would say "So your brakes where worn to 50% in 30,000 miles and you had a non-Hyundai mechanic work/Inspect them and 2000 miles later the pads wore out. That sounds like the braking system was damaged/mis-adjusted by the independent mechanic"
    If I track this failure timeline correctly the rear brakes were inspected by an independent mechanic @ 30K miles...pronounced to have 70% of the useable lining available at that time yet approx. 2K miles later both? rear pads were worn to the point they destroyed the rotors?? I find this to be impossible UNLESS only one side wore in that fashion which to me would indicate a caliper problem. Exactly why do you blame Hyundai since you did not see fit to return to the dealer for at least some services but instead trusted "your mechanic guy" who appears,to me at least, to be less "mechanic" than just "guy" (unless I am missing a whole lot here) then when a major problem appeared you DO go to Hyundai. Then when they tell you that an expensive repair is indicated (but won't pay for your "mechanic guy's" mistake) you start proceedings against Hyundai. I will tell you that unless a caliper stuck no car will blow through the 70% of the remaining brake lining in 2K miles. Not possible!!! If a caliper stuck there would be several symptoms not the least of which would be a drag since essentially the brake would be applied at all times on one wheel that you should have noticed when driving followed closely by the smell of burning brake material next the flames and smoke and last the grinding you finally noticed.