Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• boba1000boba1000 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I heard grinding from drivers side rear. Pulled wheel and found the pads worn to the rotors. I went to pep boys and found that there is two grades of rear disc pads. I then went to the hyundai dealer which was right down the street to price new pads. They wanted $80 for just the pads so I asked the parts man if this is a normal. He said to talk to the service manager. I asked the service manager if this is a normal problem. He said no. He said to bring the car in for new brakes for $289. I told him I could do the job for way less than $100 and and about 35 minutes of time and went to purchase the pads from Pep boys. These are $50 and are ceramic. Started the brake job and removed the pads. The pads were thin on the other side also. When the old pads were removed there were chunks from the none worn down pads missing. What cheap pads!!! Took the the worn side rotor to be turned at my local service station. Put the the new pads and rotors on- it took me about 39 minutes. Now I know I have good pads and will not have problems with premature pad wear. If you take the car to the Hyundai dealer he will put the same crappy OEM pads which will wear out in another 20000 miles. If you want the job done right do it yourself. Looked at the front pads and they still have 75% of there life remaining. Its got to be defective/Cheap pads on the rear that causes the problem. I think its a way for Hyundai dealers to make a profit on cars which they offer a 6/60000 BB service. This is one of the items not covered by the 6/60000 mile service. The service intervals charges are very expensive for a car which should for the most part need minimal care.
  • ayeuayeu Member Posts: 41
    I won't be buying another Hyundai. Problems with brakes, light control module, noisy clunking suspension, malfunctioning power seat and other little things have convinced me that you get what you pay for. At 67,000 I'm afraid of what's next to go.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I have an 06 Sonata LX V6, changed my front brake pads at 54k miles and have yet to even need to replace rear brake pads. Replaced left side fog light bulb at 64k miles and just now over 65k miles needing new tires. So I'd have to say that my Hyundai Sonata has held up very well. I live in Savannah, GA so the weather here doesn't have a that much effect on any vehicle. I'm assuming you live were it's snows, if so than it's common knowledge that you would experience the problems you have with your brakes. Hardly can hold that against the car, take it up with Mother Nature.
    Take it up with mother nature? I've driven other many cars well over 100,000 miles with no similar problems. I don't know if you've followed the whole thread from the beginning, but it first happened to me when the Sonata was eleven months old after 21,000 miles of highway driving. The rear brakes were dragging. In a fwd car the front bears most of the burden but my front pads still have 50%+ after 67,000 miles - lots of highway driving. These posts show consistent recurrence of similar problems - all northern climates - so it's apparent that it is not a normal phenomenon. My last car, a Mazda Protege, was driven the same way in the same climate. My first pads were in the front at 60,000. The rears were drums and for what it's worth they were first replaced at 90,000. My Sonata's front brakes have outlasted the Mazda but it's the back brakes that have the defect.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    You've had more than your fair share of problems, but not every car has those issues. The rear brakes issue seems to be a NORTHERN car problem, for the most part (and seems to be a legitimate complaint for those in the North, icy driving regions); while my 2009 GLS isn't anywhere near the mileage *(yet; my wife's got 14K on it since May!)* that these problems start, our older 2003 GLS V6 has 113K and just got it's first brake job for the rear (and second for the front). However, we live in Virginia Beach Virginia, where a 1/2" of snow causes concern of whether they'll close schools, and yearly snow total AVERAGES under 2" (which includes the very rare true snow storm, such as the one in 1980 that dumped 3 1/2 feet... think of how long it takes with NO snow to get that average back down to 2"). Our 2003 hasn't been totally problem free, but has been low enough that it SEEMS like it's been (other than three issues, it has been... the anti-theft alarm module going bad (which has happened on another of our cars, years ago, as well) which was EXPENSIVE at >$500, a pinhole break in the aluminum power steering line ($45 repair, + $15 diagnosis, and we had it towed because we weren't sure what was wrong, though AAA covered that!), and the frequent front headlamp bulb burnouts). Even the first set of tires lasted into the low 80K range. Oh, and I guess the couple of burned out lights on the dash/controls counts (the radio is only half lit, and the climate controls are unlit; never bothered to fix those, though they might have been covered in the bumper to bumper, but I'm having to SEARCH for issues with the car; a 7 year old car with 113K miles should have SOMETHING wrong!).

Some cars are just problematic, for whatever reason :lemon: and you seem to have somehow gotten THAT car. Most folks with this current generation of Sonata are VERY pleased :shades: with their car. I'm sorry you got a bad one but I wouldn't give up on ALL of them just because of that (would be different if it was a very high percentage of folks having the same issues; other than the thunk and the brakes, every other issue you've had seems to be unique to you in here, and no one has figured out what causes the thunk... my car doesn't have it, for example, but I don't doubt it's real). I can understand your frustration though... I will NEVER buy another Ford because of the transmission on our old 1995; went out and needed to be replaced at 70K, 70.1K, and 92K; only the 70.1K was covered by any warrenty. That's after having continuous problems with the Speedometer/Odometer since 10K (replaced >9< times under warranty, once not under, for 10 times before we just said the heck with it.... and that was all BEFORE the 70K mark! In retrospect, it was always about the transmission (where the speedometer cable hooked in) and Ford KNEW. Shame is, the transmissions were garbage, but otherwise that car would still be on the road, it was like new otherwise when we donated it to the Kidney fund three years ago, with 94K miles and a still screwed up transmission.
    Billward - Your Ford experiences are more major than my Hyundai experiences for sure. Interesting that Ford has surpassed Honda and Toyota in quality this year, though, at least the Fusion. It's good that they've allowed their Mazda subsidiary to dominate their engineering. The Fusion is essentially a Mazda 6 in Ford clothing, built in Mexico. As I read through the posts (this is #159) there are quite a few people in the north who have had rear pad issues with the Sonata. My service manager at Great Lakes Hyundai was honest enough to say he sees way too many of them. I had to have a power seat switch replaced (before the recall) while on vacation in Florida and the SM at Hyundai of St. Augustine told me that he has seen many seized rear brakes on snow birds' cars and that he had just repaired a Sonata from Quebec for dragging rear pads.

I could conceivable buy another Hyundai since the total cost of ownership is relatively low, but these nuisances have put me into the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" mode.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season.
    Ayeu/Ed
  • ualamtualamt Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 Sonata has 49800 miles on it, found left rear brake worn to metal pad, left small grove in rotor. I called Concord CA Hyundai dealer, said it&#146;s not cover under warranty. OK, not a real problem, got new pads from Kragen for $20+ tax. So I changed the left rear pads then I changed the right rear pads but to find the right rear pads still in good useful condition. This tells me there is a problem with left rear brake, probably bad shim, or sticky piston on brake because both left and right rear brakes should have almost same wear on pads. I say this because I'm an aircraft mechanic. Generally, more $ working on aircraft than cars. Now I will do a more periodic inspection on my brakes since Hyundai knew they had inferior parts installed in factory but after risk management it was not worth a recall. If anyone have a serious accident due to faulty brakes and need evidence for lawsuit, I saved the original pads.

Tom
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might want to go back to the service manager at the dealership with this additional information, as it points to a problem with the car. Brake pads aren't normally covered as they are wear items, but if there is a defect in the car, which there appears to be here, the repair should be covered. If the dealership refuses to cooperate, you could contact Hyundai Customer Service and take it "up the chain"... depending on how much time you have.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Make sure that you contact the Hyundai Service Claims unit on the Power Seat recall; they should cut you a check for the repair, since it was a warranty failure of something they recalled; yours was just an early failure.

An interesting question that needs to be asked is whether the brakes wear out prematurely on those northern cars after they've been replaced the first time; I imagine most shops aren't going to use pure Hyundai brake pads, but will use a major name brand pad. If the retail brake pads are failing too, then that's indicative of an engineering flaw; if only the OEM parts fail, and after replacement they're fine, then it was poor material choice for the first set of pads. Of course, some folks are saying it's the caliper pistons themselves; that would mean a new set of brake calipers; I'm not sure whether or not those are as readily available as aftermarket items, since they aren't wear items.
    The power seat was repaird under warranty, i.e., no charge. I did have to drive 150 miles with the seat in the full down position propped by pillow but fortunately there were no problems. Regarding the pads, my first set seized at 11 months/21,000 miles. The dealer ($300) replaced the pads, machined the rotors and ground more clearance into the bracket/slides. You can hear all the parts moving now when I stop, but the pads still have >50% 28 months/46,000 miles later.
  • ronny4ronny4 Member Posts: 2
    I own two 2006 Sonatas up here in northern Minnesota. Each time it snows, the brakes stick after it is driven and then parked. The snow does not even need to accumulate. Afterwards, I have difficulty getting the car to move - even on dry pavement - once it has been parked. I have to rev the engine a little, and then "BOOM" from the brakes(or wheels) and then the car moves fine. There was one exception though: After a blizzard, the brakes barely worked even when the Sonata was operating (driving down the road) Scary! Since both Sonatas behave exactly the same, there definitely is a defect, and it is definitely unsafe. I have been thinking about writing the Attorney General's office in our state; hopefully they will know what to do with information about "unsafe" cars, etc.
    I have to believe Hyundai knows they have the problem I've encouraged the salesman who sold me my car to read this thread to understand what he's up against. (Hopefully, you're reading it, Ed!)
    It's too bad that if they silently fix the problem, they've lost some buyers, including probably me.
  • woodchuck4woodchuck4 Member Posts: 7
    My 2008 Hyundai, complete rear failure at 35000. Front pad were 9/32 rear pads were 0/32 Replaced with semi metallic pads, not OEM, and will watch to see what happens. I contacted Hyundai and they gave me their warranty bull [non-permissible content removed].
    I believe the problem is inferior material and poor design of the rear pistons. Accumulation of road gunk in the pad clips also contributes. This is a MAJOR engineering snafu. They definitey need a recall.
  • saint_judesaint_jude Member Posts: 9
    Does someone actually have to get killed before someone will do something about this? I just can't believe they won't recall the faulty parts.
  • mfpattersonmfpatterson Member Posts: 3
    I have called them twice on this and I am thinking of writing a letter, it seems that they are looking to trade people up as per a Fortune article I just read.

I have bought two cars and my family two all in the past 10 years, I am not happy right now. I check my brakes every 5,000 miles now.

Anyone having any trouble with the auto trans at 40 mph wanting to down shift but it stays in OD and just kind of hesitates until you speed up?

Marc
    I just posted a complaint with the highway safety administration about the rear brakes on the Sonatas wearing out prematurely while the front brakes seem to be just fine. I am waiting for their reply, everyone with this problem should contact them to register their complaint. I also had great difficulty removing the rear rotors, which seemed to be stuck to the car. I actually never did get them off, so I left them on. They were not in bad shape, so I replaced the pads and left the rotors. Everything is working just fine for now. My pads wore out at 30000, actually a little better than some of the posts about this have described. This is a DESIGN flaw that Hyundai is eventually going to have to address. Right now they are in denial mode. Also the 08 and 09 Honda Accords are having an even worse problem with wearing of the rear brake pads.
    What did you mean they are trying to trade people up according to a Fortune acrticle?
    At 30000 miles the rear pads had 0/32 left on the pads. The front pads had 9/32 left. If both front and rear pads are doing equal work, they should wear at the same
    rate. The rear pads are wearing faster because the pads are hanging up in the gunk that accumulates in the pad clips. They need to be cleaned every year. But this is a DESIGN flaw in the car. It is a safety issue and needs to be addressed by Hyndai.
    Somebody needs to contact Ralph. He's a man of the people. This is just crazy that we're spinning our proverbial wheels out here on Edmunds. How many complaints have to be posted out here before someone realizes there is a big problem? And again, do we need to wait until someone is actually killed to make sure the manufacturers do the right thing? Toyota just finally did a huge recall. It's time for a call to arms against this junk.
    The front breaks are the workhorse of your breaking system. For that reason, rear breaks can go much farther without repair/maintenance. Front breaks might need work at 30K, but not the rear breaks.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    This is true but do they not size the rotors differently (Larger in front) to balance the braking system. This way the front does more work but is capable/designed to take the extra load. The back brakes are smaller. When disk brake where first used in the US the rear where drum brakes since as you say the back does less work. I have to admit the back brakes do seem to last longer so they may get less pressure applied from the braking system causing them to last longer.
    The size and number of Hyundai Sonatas involved is unknown at this time. Hyundai is not going to do anything about this unless an AG from one of the states begins to file suit. Everyone involved needs to contact the AG in the state they live and the NHSTA to complain. Once the numbers start to add up, they will respond.
    Otherwise you will be replacing your rear brakes every 25000 miles at your own expense. Now if you can do the work yourself it is not too bad, you can buy lifetime pads at Autozone or Advanced Auto and just replace them every two years or so. But this is a design error and a potentially fatal flaw in the braking system design and operation.
    My experience is that I had to replace rear pads at 21,000 miles because of seizure, but my dealer ground more play/clearance into the slides and lubed them. Over two years later I now have 47,000 on those rear pads and >68,000 on the original fronts with >50% meat left on both. The keys to functioning Sonata brakes are giving them more play and lubricating the slides. Doing that will help but you WILL hear lots of clicks and movement when you apply the brakes with the radio volume low!
  • haidonghaidong Member Posts: 17
    It is time to bring up to NHSTA, they missed toyota, could not miss hyundai brakes.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    This comment may make some people mad, but here goes.
    Brake pads are wear items and usually not covered by any warranty after 12k miles. If it's some other issue with the brakes like the calipers or rotors, then that's a different story because those items are covered by the warranty. Everyone here should probably forget about their being a recall for these brake pads though. Heck, Chryler's minivan vans brake wear out at 20k-25k miles and you don't hear them screaming that there should be a recall for them. If you guys want brake pads that last a long time, either go easy on your brakes or buy some really expensive ones like what they put on high end sports cars ie Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette ZR1. Questions or Comments are now welcome.
  • dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    I agree 100% some people are really hard on their brakes and dont even realize it, I see people all the time riding their brakes down long hills when they should downshift and let the motor hold the car back some. As far as there being a defect in the sonatas rear brakes I dont agree, disc brakes on the rear wheels have long been problematic because of all the debris that end up back there. My S10 Blazer always went thru rear brake pads and I always cleaned and lubed everything but winter road salt is really hard on that stuff.
  • ronny4ronny4 Member Posts: 2
    I finally got off my butt and filed two complaints with NHTSA about Hyundai's Sonatas brake failure when it snows. I have received an acknowledgment for the first complaint, and I anticipate I will get paperwork from NHTSA for the second complaint. I think it is very fortuitous for me that Toyota is suffering gravely from ignoring complaints about braking and acceleration. Surely, Hyundai is treading the same perilous course. I am hopeful that NHTSA will be hypersensitive about all these brake complaints. I hate to sound self-serving, but brakes that do not properly work in any amount of snow (worse, of course, in more snow - it's relative) are dangerous. I am suffering a real dilemma: How do I get rid of a car that I know is unsafe? I cannot pass it along to my daughter like I had planned, and I feel awkward about selling it or trading it in. I want NHTSA to bring the hammer down on Hyundai. I hope Hyundai does not want to be crippled like Toyota. To everyone: call or e-mail NHTSA
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Have your brakes not worked or just wore out prematurely (25,000 miles)?
    At the very least, Hyundai should issue TSB's to all dealers, and offer a discounted service every 25000 miles to clean the pad clips. This service would take about 10 minutes, and would cost the dealers very little. I believe the problem is due to positioning of the pad clips, which accumulate dirt and crap. This however is a DESIGN fault. This should NOT occur at 25000 miles. If the front pads are lasting 70000 miles, the rear pads should not wear out at 25000 miles.
  • muffinbmuffinb Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know what the brake bleeding sequence in on a 2006 Sonata?
    Thanks
  • haidonghaidong Member Posts: 17
    I need to fill the complain in NHTSA, did not do it last year.
  • duvey85duvey85 Member Posts: 1
    How tough is it to replace rear brakes in the '08 Sonota..I have replaced them in a couple of VW's I have had without much adoo, and my Supra without much trouble..Will it be about the same? Thanks Bob...
    edited April 2010
    It should be like replacing front disc brakes. Need large clamp, about 5". Support the brake flexible hose at removal of brake pads. About 45 minute job to do both rear brakes from jacking car up to finish, but I'm an aircraft mechanic. Take your time do it right because you will be riding in it. Watch your brake reservoir in engine compartment of being overflow with new pads installed, if so sump it out from top before overflow.

Tom
  • adlucemadlucem Member Posts: 3
    Just took my 2010 Sonata in for a 24,000 km check and was told I need new rear brake pads! Couldn't believe it. I have driven cars for 50 + years in Ontario, Canada and have never had to replace brake pads, rotors or the like until at least 60,000 km and frequently beyond 80,000 km. They said it was dirt that wore it down from winter driving - all on pavement. Obviously this is a design flaw in the vehicle or the pads itself. Hyundai seems to think I should pay $200 for a complete brake cleaning every year - ridiculous. Never had to do it on Honda, Chevrolet, Ford, VW or Volvo and brakes lasted long on all those cars.
    Just a correction and elaboration of post 187. The Sonata is a 2009. My front brakes were in excellent condition the rear brake pads were almost completely ruined. As several posters note this is just the opposite for the wear factor. There is something inherently wrong with this cars rear brake pads and Hyundai should fess up and fix the problem immediately at no cost to the owners.
    Adlucem - Welcome to our world! Since my rear brakes had to be replaced at 11 months/21,000 miles I have put 53,000 miles on the rear pads with still >50% left and I have a total of 74,000 on the original front pads with >50% left. My dealer ground extra clearance into the pad slides and lubed them.

It might be interesting to note that my dealer recommends lubing the pad slides every year at a cost of $130. Last week I had it done at a local tire & brake shop for $35. They disassembled the pads and lubed the slides. Also, my dealer's service manager said they did not solve the problem on the beautiful new 2011 Sonata. It is destined to have the same rear brake issues! I would consider buying one under the condition that service modifies the brakes before delivery, i.e., gives more pad slide clearance.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    While I don't own a Sonata, it was on my short list when I was shopping for a new sedan a little while ago. I read about the 'precharged' brake system on the Sonata, I guess to help brake hard enough in case of a panic stop? Not asking as a Hyundai question, but just a brake system question in general, has anyone had any experience with this system, good, bad, or other? Has anyone even noticed them in any situation? Thanks!
  • biggeobiggeo Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for sharing. I have a '09 sonata, 21k miles. The breaks just started squealing. I know that the Edmunds forum would have the answer.

I removed front and rear break pads, and the slides that the break pads sit in. The front pads were fine but the back pads would not budge, it seemed as if they were welded on. After removing the pads, I cleaned everything, filed down the metal break pad guides that sit in the slides, removing some rust and dirt. Cleaned and lubercated the caliper as well.

The squeel is gone. Thanks again for sharing.
    I agree with woodchuck4. File complaint with NHSTA and hope for an investigation into this rear brake matter. I think is involve with the Electronic Stability Control system.
    I highly recommend that you report this to the NHTSA at:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    The problem isn't the pads; they're the symptom. The problem is tight tolerances on the slides that cause the pads to lock up with any small amount of corrosion. Per my Service Manager, the problem continues on the 2011 beauty.
    You don't have to get rid of it. The dealer service dept knows full well how to remedy it, albeit at a cost to you. They remove the pads, open up guide clearances, lube the slides and replace the pads. You'll hear a little more movement noise when you apply the brakes, but you'll know everything works. Since I've had my problem and they did that, I have 55,000 on the rear pads and still have > 50%. And yes, they're functioning. I have 75,000 with <50% on the original front pads. If I were to consider a new Sonata I would make it a condition that they add the clearance as part of prepping my car.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Question, did they grind material off the ears on the pads or from the grooves/slides on the brake calipers to get the extra clearance?
    They opened up the slides. The dealer also recommend a service every 15,000 to disassemble the brakes and lube the slides for about $150. This confirms that they recognize that they have a problem that Hyundai hasn't or won't correct. I just had a local tire/brake shop do and they charged $35.
    Thanks. We have an 09 Sonata and an 08 Santa Fe and both have had problems with the rear brakes. Our dealer has replaced the rear pads on both and has told me they are authorized to inspect and clean and lube for 2 yrs/24K miles. Unfortunately, even though we won't be anywhere near the mileage, we come up on 2 yrs this summer, so it will be up to me to clean and lube. FWIW, the service writer has the same problem with his wife's SF (I work with her) and he is resigned to doing it from time to time also. :sick:
  • aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    My 2006 Sonata, with almost 63,000 miles, still has the original rear brake pads - - - with about 20-25% of the pad material remaining as of a couple weeks ago when I checked.

There has been road construction in various areas of the county over the past year, of which I've driven through on an almost daily basis with dirt and gravel kicking-up from the road. Not to mention the rainy season every year, when some roads around here get covered with sludgy muck from the runoff, which gets splashed all over the brake rotors while driving.

So I guess I'm one of the "few" lucky ones with properly functioning brakes, right? :confuse:
    The problem seems to be occurring primarily in areas that use road salt and other de-icing chemicals on a regular basis in the winter. Since we live in the Laurel Highlands area of PA, we deal with that for about 6 months a year. And that seems to be the major causative factor in the brake problem. :sick:
    edited May 2010
    This was submitted by an ASE Certified Honda Tech on the ridgelineownersclub website.

"There is a small number of customers who fail to maintain the brakes properly. Cleaning rust and lubricating the sliding surfaces is essential to a properly functioning brake caliper. It is probably best to do this maybe twice a year. Once before winter - once after. The road salt used in many areas cause parts to rust. The rust builds up in places like the caliper bracket and prevents the pad from sliding freely. Then it hangs up and wears out - sometimes damaging the rotor along with it.

This is a maintenance issue, not a manufacturing issue. This can be proven by the fair weather folks in places it doesn't snow. They never have issues with brake pads wear like this."

As someone who has never lived in an area that gets snow, I was completely oblivious to this. Still, why are some people presenting this as a problem with the way Hyundai engineered the brakes? It appears that cars, in gereral, require additional brake system maintenance when driven on salted roads.
    Interesting comment. I have owned 4 new Hondas in the Ottawa, Canada (lots of road salt) area. Driven them for three to five years and only had brake work done on one of them after 70,000 km. I took them in for regular maintenance and inspections and never had to pay hundreds of dollars for annual brake maintenance. The Hyundai Sonata I had was taken in for regular maintenance and at 24 month 26,000 km I was charged $500 for new rear brake pads and brake maintenance. The dealer acted as if it was my fault in spite of them failing to notice it at the 12 month inspection. Also got conflicting after the fact advice - mechanic said get them maintained every spring while desk service rep said every fall. Paying around $250 a year for maintenance on brakes on a Sonata that I never had to do on other cars I owned, to me, points to a Sonata rear brake flaw.
    edited May 2010
    Are you really gonna make me post all of the links from Google searches regarding brake component corrosion issues due to wintertime road-salt?

How about I email all my many relatives who live in Illinois/Minnesota/Wisconsin, and ask them to all post on here and explain what road salt does to brake system components on their various makes/models of vehicles?

Of all the, what - 150,000, 200,000+? - 4th Gen+ Sonatas in sub-freezing regions of North America, where are all the thousands and thousands of owners who believe their Sonata's brakes have have been more prone to winter corrosion than any other vehicles they have owned and driven in those regions???