Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• haidonghaidong Posts: 16
    I need to fill the complain in NHTSA, did not do it last year.
  • duvey85duvey85 Posts: 1
    How tough is it to replace rear brakes in the '08 Sonota..I have replaced them in a couple of VW's I have had without much adoo, and my Supra without much trouble..Will it be about the same? Thanks Bob...
  • ualamtualamt Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    It should be like replacing front disc brakes. Need large clamp, about 5". Support the brake flexible hose at removal of brake pads. About 45 minute job to do both rear brakes from jacking car up to finish, but I'm an aircraft mechanic. Take your time do it right because you will be riding in it. Watch your brake reservoir in engine compartment of being overflow with new pads installed, if so sump it out from top before overflow.

Tom
  • adlucemadlucem Posts: 3
    Just took my 2010 Sonata in for a 24,000 km check and was told I need new rear brake pads! Couldn't believe it. I have driven cars for 50 + years in Ontario, Canada and have never had to replace brake pads, rotors or the like until at least 60,000 km and frequently beyond 80,000 km. They said it was dirt that wore it down from winter driving - all on pavement. Obviously this is a design flaw in the vehicle or the pads itself. Hyundai seems to think I should pay $200 for a complete brake cleaning every year - ridiculous. Never had to do it on Honda, Chevrolet, Ford, VW or Volvo and brakes lasted long on all those cars.
    Just a correction and elaboration of post 187. The Sonata is a 2009. My front brakes were in excellent condition the rear brake pads were almost completely ruined. As several posters note this is just the opposite for the wear factor. There is something inherently wrong with this cars rear brake pads and Hyundai should fess up and fix the problem immediately at no cost to the owners.
  • ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    Adlucem - Welcome to our world! Since my rear brakes had to be replaced at 11 months/21,000 miles I have put 53,000 miles on the rear pads with still >50% left and I have a total of 74,000 on the original front pads with >50% left. My dealer ground extra clearance into the pad slides and lubed them.

It might be interesting to note that my dealer recommends lubing the pad slides every year at a cost of $130. Last week I had it done at a local tire & brake shop for $35. They disassembled the pads and lubed the slides. Also, my dealer's service manager said they did not solve the problem on the beautiful new 2011 Sonata. It is destined to have the same rear brake issues! I would consider buying one under the condition that service modifies the brakes before delivery, i.e., gives more pad slide clearance.
  • xmechxmech Posts: 90
    While I don't own a Sonata, it was on my short list when I was shopping for a new sedan a little while ago. I read about the 'precharged' brake system on the Sonata, I guess to help brake hard enough in case of a panic stop? Not asking as a Hyundai question, but just a brake system question in general, has anyone had any experience with this system, good, bad, or other? Has anyone even noticed them in any situation? Thanks!
  • biggeobiggeo Posts: 6
    Thanks for sharing. I have a '09 sonata, 21k miles. The breaks just started squealing. I know that the Edmunds forum would have the answer.

I removed front and rear break pads, and the slides that the break pads sit in. The front pads were fine but the back pads would not budge, it seemed as if they were welded on. After removing the pads, I cleaned everything, filed down the metal break pad guides that sit in the slides, removing some rust and dirt. Cleaned and lubercated the caliper as well.

The squeel is gone. Thanks again for sharing.
  • ualamtualamt Posts: 4
    I agree with woodchuck4. File complaint with NHSTA and hope for an investigation into this rear brake matter. I think is involve with the Electronic Stability Control system.
    I highly recommend that you report this to the NHTSA at:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    The problem isn't the pads; they're the symptom. The problem is tight tolerances on the slides that cause the pads to lock up with any small amount of corrosion. Per my Service Manager, the problem continues on the 2011 beauty.
    You don't have to get rid of it. The dealer service dept knows full well how to remedy it, albeit at a cost to you. They remove the pads, open up guide clearances, lube the slides and replace the pads. You'll hear a little more movement noise when you apply the brakes, but you'll know everything works. Since I've had my problem and they did that, I have 55,000 on the rear pads and still have > 50%. And yes, they're functioning. I have 75,000 with <50% on the original front pads. If I were to consider a new Sonata I would make it a condition that they add the clearance as part of prepping my car.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Question, did they grind material off the ears on the pads or from the grooves/slides on the brake calipers to get the extra clearance?
    They opened up the slides. The dealer also recommend a service every 15,000 to disassemble the brakes and lube the slides for about $150. This confirms that they recognize that they have a problem that Hyundai hasn't or won't correct. I just had a local tire/brake shop do and they charged $35.
    Thanks. We have an 09 Sonata and an 08 Santa Fe and both have had problems with the rear brakes. Our dealer has replaced the rear pads on both and has told me they are authorized to inspect and clean and lube for 2 yrs/24K miles. Unfortunately, even though we won't be anywhere near the mileage, we come up on 2 yrs this summer, so it will be up to me to clean and lube. FWIW, the service writer has the same problem with his wife's SF (I work with her) and he is resigned to doing it from time to time also. :sick:
  • aqua33v6aqua33v6 Posts: 38
    My 2006 Sonata, with almost 63,000 miles, still has the original rear brake pads - - - with about 20-25% of the pad material remaining as of a couple weeks ago when I checked.

There has been road construction in various areas of the county over the past year, of which I've driven through on an almost daily basis with dirt and gravel kicking-up from the road. Not to mention the rainy season every year, when some roads around here get covered with sludgy muck from the runoff, which gets splashed all over the brake rotors while driving.

So I guess I'm one of the "few" lucky ones with properly functioning brakes, right? :confuse:
    The problem seems to be occurring primarily in areas that use road salt and other de-icing chemicals on a regular basis in the winter. Since we live in the Laurel Highlands area of PA, we deal with that for about 6 months a year. And that seems to be the major causative factor in the brake problem. :sick:
    edited May 2010
    This was submitted by an ASE Certified Honda Tech on the ridgelineownersclub website.

"There is a small number of customers who fail to maintain the brakes properly. Cleaning rust and lubricating the sliding surfaces is essential to a properly functioning brake caliper. It is probably best to do this maybe twice a year. Once before winter - once after. The road salt used in many areas cause parts to rust. The rust builds up in places like the caliper bracket and prevents the pad from sliding freely. Then it hangs up and wears out - sometimes damaging the rotor along with it.

This is a maintenance issue, not a manufacturing issue. This can be proven by the fair weather folks in places it doesn't snow. They never have issues with brake pads wear like this."

As someone who has never lived in an area that gets snow, I was completely oblivious to this. Still, why are some people presenting this as a problem with the way Hyundai engineered the brakes? It appears that cars, in gereral, require additional brake system maintenance when driven on salted roads.
    Interesting comment. I have owned 4 new Hondas in the Ottawa, Canada (lots of road salt) area. Driven them for three to five years and only had brake work done on one of them after 70,000 km. I took them in for regular maintenance and inspections and never had to pay hundreds of dollars for annual brake maintenance. The Hyundai Sonata I had was taken in for regular maintenance and at 24 month 26,000 km I was charged $500 for new rear brake pads and brake maintenance. The dealer acted as if it was my fault in spite of them failing to notice it at the 12 month inspection. Also got conflicting after the fact advice - mechanic said get them maintained every spring while desk service rep said every fall. Paying around $250 a year for maintenance on brakes on a Sonata that I never had to do on other cars I owned, to me, points to a Sonata rear brake flaw.
    edited May 2010
    Are you really gonna make me post all of the links from Google searches regarding brake component corrosion issues due to wintertime road-salt?

How about I email all my many relatives who live in Illinois/Minnesota/Wisconsin, and ask them to all post on here and explain what road salt does to brake system components on their various makes/models of vehicles?

Of all the, what - 150,000, 200,000+? - 4th Gen+ Sonatas in sub-freezing regions of North America, where are all the thousands and thousands of owners who believe their Sonata's brakes have have been more prone to winter corrosion than any other vehicles they have owned and driven in those regions???
    When service managers say they have a brake problem, that's good enough for me. I have had service, including warranty repairs, at three different dealerships. Two in Ohio and one in Florida. I asked all of them about brake issues. They said they are prone to corrosion and occasional premature seizing. Hyundai of St. Augustine (Florida) said they see the problem frequently on "snowbird" cars, but not on local ones. The problem seems to be that Hyundai brakes are either more prone because of the steel used or the tolerances are too tight so that rust causes premature binding. Yes, other brands are subject to road salt, too. I've lived in a Northern climate all my life and have driven many cars over 100,000 miles and never had this problem before my Sonata.
    I grew up in Chicago, drove there and central Illinois for quite a few years, several different cars, and never had a brake problem until I had a Jeep with a siezed piston in a caliper, in San Diego.

Of course, I don't have a Sonata, I was just checking back if anyone responded yet about my question about the 'precharged' brakes. My wife has a Tucsonthough, and other than warped rotors, no issues.
    Sorry, I have never seen that in a Hyundai commercial. I did a search on line and was directed back to your Edmunds comment, believe it or not! What's the difference between "precharged" and "power boosted", i.e., power brakes?
    Regarding Aqua's quote above, it make sense that corrosion increases the incidents involving rust seized brakes, but if this is the case, shouldn't it be in the service schedule? It's not. And per my experience, eleven months after purchase seems too soon. That was one winter.
    edited May 2010
    Maybe I'm getting the terminoligy wrong. I saw something about it in the pamphlet I had for the 09 Sonata. It was supposed to be like a brake assist. Claimed people usually didn't brake hard enough in panic situations or something, so it 'sensed' or decided if you were in a panic braking situation and applies the brakes even harder. Supposed to be an added safety feature.

Maybe it's invisible to the operator, but I was just wondering if anyone noticed anything about it. I kind of figured not, as no one replied.

P.S. Just went to the Hyundai site, and they still have it. Just called Brake Assist. Says you can stop 20% faster. Determines the pucker factor by how fast you apply the brake.
  • racerbillracerbill Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata with 25000 miles on it and no one said anything about the pads sticking until i heard the grinding noise and to it to the dealer and they said the brakes were worn out and wanted $240 to replace them.No one said anything about needing to lubercate the calipers. So i think that the dealer should stand by this and repair it under the warrentee. I bet you one thing i will not buy another Hyundai if this is the way they are gonna do.I never had a car that the back brakes went out in 25000 miles before and i have had a lot of different cars.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    You must live in one the northern states. Brake pads are a wear item, no manufacturer covers them after the first 12k miles. Some GM and Chrysler vehicles rear brakes wear out around 25k miles even if you lube the calipers. It's all in the material the pads are made out of. I personally own an 06 Sonata LX V6 with over 69k miles, changed my front brakes at 54k miles and have not had to replace my rear brakes yet. Of course I live down here in GA, were brakes on Hyundai's here wear out at around 50k miles, and I know this because I'm a service consultant.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,501
    edited June 2010
    People want quiet, grabby brakes, even on small or mid-size economical sedans and this often requires a very soft and perishable brake pad composition. Engineering struggles with price, and comes up with a compromise.

Racerbill - it's not about wearing out normally, it's about the pads hanging up, i.e., staying stuck against the rotors. I don't know if you're a service consultant for Hyundai or not, but if so, it might be interesting to call one of your colleagues up north. My service mgr told me even the 2011 Sonata hasn't made any changes in the brake setup.I had a problem at 11 months/21,000 highway miles on my '07 Sonata but no problems since. Interesting, though, Consumers latest publication rated 2007 Sonata brakes "poor" but later years seem to fare better. Maybe not enough data yet.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I was a consultant for Hyundai, but I'm a consultant for GM now. When I was at Hyundai, the only time we had issues with the brakes on low mileage Hyundais were the ones that came from northern states. The ones in the southern states only needed replacement on average of around 50k miles. I had mine done at 54k miles, rear still untouched and I'm currently at 69k miles.