Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    Chips - Your dealer needs to grind more play into the slides, i.e., open them up.Also they should lube the slides. My dealer did that when my '07 Sonata had brake problems at 11 months/21,000 miles. I now have 62,000 miles on my rear brakes and 83,000 on the original fronts and still have 50% on both. I am considering a 2011 and he told me they have the same problems, so to bring it in during the first year and he'd do the same thing.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    You guys most live in Northern states where it snows alot. We don't have that issue with these cars down in the Southern states.
  • Yep. Live in Ohio. But, still, car bodies and under-carriages have been improved/treated over the years so that they no longer rust out like they did decades ago. I would expect that brakes should last longer than 25K miles even if the car has to drive where there's snow and road treatments. It's not like snow in the Northern US should be news to any car manufacturers.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Brakes on my 2007 with 43k miles still good. Has been in WI and MN all its life. I will ask at the 45k service, due in December, about lubing those sliders. Whatever was done by the first owner (lessor) seems to have worked. I bought the car last Thanksgiving.
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Posts: 1,139
    I've been reading all about the brake problems here. I currently have 105K 05 Sonata and am doing the front brakes (for the first time). One of the slides has failed. Are they pressed in? Or is there some odd method of getting these into the caliper mounting housing? I did notice that one pad wore more on this caliper. The other caliper seemed fine as its pads wore normally. Perhaps these and the lubricant used in them freezing be part of the brake problems in the north? I'm in Texas and have been fortunate so far.
  • guttzguttz Posts: 2
    I went to dealership yesterday for an oil change and dealer suggested that I change my 2007 Sonta's brake pads immediately. Is it advisable to get brake pads changed outside without Hyundai's OEM parts? Or are OEM parts the best thing to go with?
    Is it also normal for Sonta's rear brake pads to wear out lot earlier than front brake pads?

Thanks in advance.
    It seems to be the case that the rear brakes wear first. Mine did. I had my rear brakes replaced at 21K and they also opened up the slides a little (read the thread). I now have 84,000 on my original front and 63,000 on the rear. Both still have 50% lining left but I do a lot of highway driving. As far as aftermarket brakes, I say go for it. I might replace all rotors and pads before winter just to stay ahead of the game. I would do it myself with aftermarket parts.
    Good luck!
  • guttzguttz Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Additional notes to my previous post:
    So after talking to my regular mechanic, it is pretty much confirmed that it seems to be Hyundai's fault. Rear rotors were way hotter than front rotors after less than 3 miles of driving. I am in AZ so no weather related problems here. From the last brake inspection around 3 months ago, rear brakes were totally worn out while front brakes were minimally worn. That is that rear brake pads were gone from 50% to 99% in 3 months period. Total miles on the car are at 64k and total miles for rear brakes to go from 50% to 99% gone are around 4k.
    Possible reasons (pretty much all seem to have been pointed out here before):
    1) drove with parking brakes on (I have never used parking brakes before so that is ruled out. But Hyundai had done recall work on rear brakes and it is possible that Hyundai mechanic did not complete work properly).
    2) hydraulic issues with rear brakes
    3) malfunctioning Electronic Stability Control resulting in constant application of rear brakes.
  • Has anyone done a front rotor change on an '07 style Sonata (GLS)? The pads themselves are simple to do, but when you take off the caliper, there's still the caliper harness (or whatever it's called) left on the assembly, which I assume makes the rotor impossible to get off. Obviously, it's possible to change the rotor; I just can't find an easy way to do it. Suggestions?
    You're referring to the pad bracket. On all cars it has to be removed before the rotor can be removed. On the Sonata, though, one of the bolts is dual purpose, i.e. it is longer than normal because it has to go through a suspension component. No problem removing it, just remove the two pad bracket bolts and take the bracket off. In my opinion taking it off makes it easier to clean it, lube it and put the pads in anyway. Also as on all cars, make sure you have the caliper held in place so that no pressure is on the brake line!
    To all who have posted comments about Sonata brakes. I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited. What a nice car! Hyundai has given their dealers more flexibility in dealing with brake issues.
  • I have been reading with great interest all of your helpful posts. I had my 2006 Sonata LX (approx. 53K miles) inspected less than 2 weeks ago, and it passed just fine. Yesterday I heard an awful noise from the rear passenger side when braking. It doesn't happen every time I brake, but when it does it's just awful. I took it to my mechanic who said the brake pad on that side is worn down and has apparently gouged the rotor a bit. How could that happen in one day? It never made noise before. and, the one on the other side is okay, he said. He recommends replacing pads and rotors on both sides, at a cost of "about" $300.

My question is....not knowing much about cars, and not being able to do the work myself, does this sound like a good solution at a good price? Or, should I just have him replace the pad on the one side, and turn the rotor? And, should I have him use different pads than the original ones? and is there anything else I haven't thought of to ask?
    (Thanks to all of you that I am even able to ask these questions! I have learned so much today!)
    That price sounds pretty reasonable IMO. How well do you know and trust this mechanic? If you have had good experience with him, I would go with his advice and replace both sides.

FWIW... who inspected the car less than 2 weeks ago? If I were you, I'd go back to them and explain what happened, and ask for some compensation, i.e. if they had caught the brake problem then, you would not need new rotors today.
    I don't know what state you're in with respect to inspection, but I used to live in PA. I don't recall them pulling all four wheels, only one front and rear, I believe. With disc brakes you can see the amount of remaining brake pad without removing the wheel, so a stuck caliper would not have necessarily been spotted. Don't ever replace only one side. With 53,000 miles are on the brakes I'd replace pads and rotors. I would recommend new rotors because if you turn the old ones, they will be thinner and heat build up could make them more susceptible to warpage than newer, thicker rotors.
  • I'm in NY, and they only check the front brakes. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what they said.
    Thanks everyone for your input!
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    edited November 2010
    If the car has 'only' 53K miles, and you are the original owner, at least the rotors are covered under the original mfg.s warranty to 60K. There's a specific warranty coverage booklet detailing this (I have it in a .pdf file but don't know how to send it!!).
    Additionally, if you take it to the dealer for inspection or even just an oil chg. they should be on the lookout and recommend what you might need - whether you need it or not - and in 4 season territory brakes would seem a sure bet.
    I had a similar problem with the rear brakes/rotors on my 2007, my dealer service guy who knows that I'm current on Sonata 'issues' replaced the rear brakes twic because of the brake slide issue that cut into the rotors. They just did my 1st front brake job at 49K - which I knew I needed - their standard 'brake service' includes pads, resurfacing rotors, adjusting calipers clean/lube slides for 210$ minus the 20% off web coupon - very fair price I think.
    Can you please do this for us? Open the .pdf document in Adobe Reader, select the text in the document that pertains to rotors, copy it, and paste it into a post here? This is the first I have heard about Hyundai covering a wear item such as rotors outside the 1 year/12k miles "adjustment" warranty, except for the Equus. This would be very useful information for Sonata owners. Thanks!
  • Jayess, I would also appreciate that pdf document if you could post it here. Where did you find a 20% off web coupon?
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    edited November 2010
    Try this: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/warranty.pdf

If it doesn't open I can save it to an email attachment so if t ou want to email me at lionhouse at verizon dot net I can send it to you and perhaps you'll know how to do this.
    sonatasue the coupon was on my dealer's website, am in Pittsburgh
  • I read the pdf file, what a joke.
    The problem we are getting is premature wearing of the pads and they say that is not covered, and when the worn out pads cut the rotors, the owner is not doing the proper repairs.
    I remove the brakes and the brackets each time I do tire rotation, regrease the pins and clean all the rust from the pads and brackets so the pads slide easily, about each 5000 miles.
  • Actually, I may not be describing it correctly. The brake pad caliper on the 07 Sonata can be removed by removing the two bolts that holds it to the bracket. However, the rotor cannot be removed yet because the bracket is still in the way. I need to know how to remove that bracket. This is the first car I've owned in 20 years that needed something more than the caliper to be removed for full access to the rotor.

You mention "just remove the two pad bracket bolts and take the bracket off". Easier said than done, since there is hardly any clearance, as far as I can tell, to the second bolt for the bracket. This bolt has a head that's tucked in behind the vertical support for the wheel assembly. But, if that's the way it has to be done, so be it. I'll figure out a way and save myself the labor cost of somebody else doing it. Please confirm.
    Thanks very much for posting the manual!
  • captseedcaptseed Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    On my 2009 with 37,500 miles the rear brakes needed to be replaced.The dealer found that the rotors in the rear were 2 different sizes and were put on this way at the factory. They found that one was for a 4 cylinder and the other was for a 6 cylinder car. They are replacing the 2 rotors and the wrong caliper that was with the wrong size rotor. The front brakes are still good. When I asked it having the wrong brakes in the rear could cause them to wear out faster I as told no that the Sonata rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front. This dose not sound right to me as usually the fronts wear out first.
    Dose any one know if the pads are different sizes. I could not get a straight anwser from the dearler.
    The dealer want to charge me $270 for the brake job but not for the wrong parts. I beleave if the 4 cylinder brakes pads are smaller they could wear out faster then normal. My car is a 6 cylinder which called for the larger rotor and calipers
  • I have excessive rear brake wear on my 09 Sonata. Any insites on how to handle with the dealer. Something has to be wrong in the system since the fronts are only 50% worn. The car has 28000 miles on it.
    Thanks
    Trimtree - I had problem with my '07 after only 11 months. At the end of last year I bought a 2011 Sonata Limited. Before I bought it the service mgr. told me Hyundai has given them "more latitude" in dealing with premature brake problems. An '09's brake wear could be normal after two years. 28,000 miles in two years indicates a lot of local driving, therefore a lot of stops. Why back before front? Who knows?
  • The front breaks are the workhorse of your breaking system, and your rear breaks should be nowhere near worn down yet with only 28K miles. The company knows there is an engineering problem with the rear breaks in these models, but they refuse to recall anything. I'm surpsied they are getting such high ratings. Anyway, I had my rear breaks changed out twice under warranty because, ON MY CAR, the problem was that the calipers' "shim kit" stuck on only one side, and only one pad was wearing down. On the rear, there are four break pads--two on the outside and two on the inside of each wheel. All the break pads should wear evenly, but because the parts were rusting and sticking, only one pad was extremely low. It might have been dangerous had I ignored the squeaking, and I almost did because I knew it was too early for my rear breaks to be gone at 35K miles. I had to fight with them about it the first time, but then when the same problem happened within another 25K miles, they gave me no hassle. Don't let them talk you out of it. In my opinion, the problematic break parts should all be recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    honda/acura had a class action suit for immature brake wear. The settlement was $150.00 when you submit the correct paper work within a certain period of time showing the brakes had been replaced. I do not know the reason but rear brakes seem to be wearing down more quickly than front brakes. My mom own a honda accord that needed to have the brakes replaced numerous times due to stop and go driving. I do mostly highway driving so the brakes on my cars last longer. I now own a 06 acura tsx, bought new 11/06. I recently had the brakes measured. The fronts were 8 and the rears 6. Still good after 121,000+ miles.
  • saint_judesaint_jude Posts: 9
    Thank you very much for your information. I will contact them as I feel certain they will be interested in a 2007 Sonata that has had the rear breaks changed out twice within 55K miles due to faulty parts. I just hope someone does something about this before anyone gets killed. I could hardly hear the squeaking on my breaks when a mechanic told me the one side was so bad that the breaks might have failed if I had waited any longer.
  • hatemycar3hatemycar3 Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 hyundai sonata and it has 33k on it and one day i had horrible noise from right rear break. This was the first time I heard the noise, The next day it continued to make the noise and my friend took off wheel and checked it. The brakes were completely gone and rotars ruined after only a day with the it making the noise. I am trying to figure out how to approach the dealership with this because they have refused to fix any of the problems with my car so far always saying the things that it does are normal. Not sure how to approach it and get them fixed. I am so frustrated with this car it is the biggest piece of junk.