Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• ronny4ronny4 Posts: 2
    I own two 2006 Sonatas up here in northern Minnesota. Each time it snows, the brakes stick after it is driven and then parked. The snow does not even need to accumulate. Afterwards, I have difficulty getting the car to move - even on dry pavement - once it has been parked. I have to rev the engine a little, and then "BOOM" from the brakes(or wheels) and then the car moves fine. There was one exception though: After a blizzard, the brakes barely worked even when the Sonata was operating (driving down the road) Scary! Since both Sonatas behave exactly the same, there definitely is a defect, and it is definitely unsafe. I have been thinking about writing the Attorney General's office in our state; hopefully they will know what to do with information about "unsafe" cars, etc.
  • ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    I have to believe Hyundai knows they have the problem I've encouraged the salesman who sold me my car to read this thread to understand what he's up against. (Hopefully, you're reading it, Ed!)
    It's too bad that if they silently fix the problem, they've lost some buyers, including probably me.
  • My 2008 Hyundai, complete rear failure at 35000. Front pad were 9/32 rear pads were 0/32 Replaced with semi metallic pads, not OEM, and will watch to see what happens. I contacted Hyundai and they gave me their warranty bull [non-permissible content removed].
    I believe the problem is inferior material and poor design of the rear pistons. Accumulation of road gunk in the pad clips also contributes. This is a MAJOR engineering snafu. They definitey need a recall.
  • Does someone actually have to get killed before someone will do something about this? I just can't believe they won't recall the faulty parts.
  • I have called them twice on this and I am thinking of writing a letter, it seems that they are looking to trade people up as per a Fortune article I just read.

I have bought two cars and my family two all in the past 10 years, I am not happy right now. I check my brakes every 5,000 miles now.

Anyone having any trouble with the auto trans at 40 mph wanting to down shift but it stays in OD and just kind of hesitates until you speed up?

Marc
  • I just posted a complaint with the highway safety administration about the rear brakes on the Sonatas wearing out prematurely while the front brakes seem to be just fine. I am waiting for their reply, everyone with this problem should contact them to register their complaint. I also had great difficulty removing the rear rotors, which seemed to be stuck to the car. I actually never did get them off, so I left them on. They were not in bad shape, so I replaced the pads and left the rotors. Everything is working just fine for now. My pads wore out at 30000, actually a little better than some of the posts about this have described. This is a DESIGN flaw that Hyundai is eventually going to have to address. Right now they are in denial mode. Also the 08 and 09 Honda Accords are having an even worse problem with wearing of the rear brake pads.
  • What did you mean they are trying to trade people up according to a Fortune acrticle?
  • At 30000 miles the rear pads had 0/32 left on the pads. The front pads had 9/32 left. If both front and rear pads are doing equal work, they should wear at the same
    rate. The rear pads are wearing faster because the pads are hanging up in the gunk that accumulates in the pad clips. They need to be cleaned every year. But this is a DESIGN flaw in the car. It is a safety issue and needs to be addressed by Hyndai.
  • Somebody needs to contact Ralph. He's a man of the people. This is just crazy that we're spinning our proverbial wheels out here on Edmunds. How many complaints have to be posted out here before someone realizes there is a big problem? And again, do we need to wait until someone is actually killed to make sure the manufacturers do the right thing? Toyota just finally did a huge recall. It's time for a call to arms against this junk.
  • The front breaks are the workhorse of your breaking system. For that reason, rear breaks can go much farther without repair/maintenance. Front breaks might need work at 30K, but not the rear breaks.
  • This is true but do they not size the rotors differently (Larger in front) to balance the braking system. This way the front does more work but is capable/designed to take the extra load. The back brakes are smaller. When disk brake where first used in the US the rear where drum brakes since as you say the back does less work. I have to admit the back brakes do seem to last longer so they may get less pressure applied from the braking system causing them to last longer.
  • The size and number of Hyundai Sonatas involved is unknown at this time. Hyundai is not going to do anything about this unless an AG from one of the states begins to file suit. Everyone involved needs to contact the AG in the state they live and the NHSTA to complain. Once the numbers start to add up, they will respond.
    Otherwise you will be replacing your rear brakes every 25000 miles at your own expense. Now if you can do the work yourself it is not too bad, you can buy lifetime pads at Autozone or Advanced Auto and just replace them every two years or so. But this is a design error and a potentially fatal flaw in the braking system design and operation.
  • ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    My experience is that I had to replace rear pads at 21,000 miles because of seizure, but my dealer ground more play/clearance into the slides and lubed them. Over two years later I now have 47,000 on those rear pads and >68,000 on the original fronts with >50% meat left on both. The keys to functioning Sonata brakes are giving them more play and lubricating the slides. Doing that will help but you WILL hear lots of clicks and movement when you apply the brakes with the radio volume low!
  • It is time to bring up to NHSTA, they missed toyota, could not miss hyundai brakes.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    This comment may make some people mad, but here goes.
    Brake pads are wear items and usually not covered by any warranty after 12k miles. If it's some other issue with the brakes like the calipers or rotors, then that's a different story because those items are covered by the warranty. Everyone here should probably forget about their being a recall for these brake pads though. Heck, Chryler's minivan vans brake wear out at 20k-25k miles and you don't hear them screaming that there should be a recall for them. If you guys want brake pads that last a long time, either go easy on your brakes or buy some really expensive ones like what they put on high end sports cars ie Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette ZR1. Questions or Comments are now welcome.
  • I agree 100% some people are really hard on their brakes and dont even realize it, I see people all the time riding their brakes down long hills when they should downshift and let the motor hold the car back some. As far as there being a defect in the sonatas rear brakes I dont agree, disc brakes on the rear wheels have long been problematic because of all the debris that end up back there. My S10 Blazer always went thru rear brake pads and I always cleaned and lubed everything but winter road salt is really hard on that stuff.
  • I finally got off my butt and filed two complaints with NHTSA about Hyundai's Sonatas brake failure when it snows. I have received an acknowledgment for the first complaint, and I anticipate I will get paperwork from NHTSA for the second complaint. I think it is very fortuitous for me that Toyota is suffering gravely from ignoring complaints about braking and acceleration. Surely, Hyundai is treading the same perilous course. I am hopeful that NHTSA will be hypersensitive about all these brake complaints. I hate to sound self-serving, but brakes that do not properly work in any amount of snow (worse, of course, in more snow - it's relative) are dangerous. I am suffering a real dilemma: How do I get rid of a car that I know is unsafe? I cannot pass it along to my daughter like I had planned, and I feel awkward about selling it or trading it in. I want NHTSA to bring the hammer down on Hyundai. I hope Hyundai does not want to be crippled like Toyota. To everyone: call or e-mail NHTSA
  • Have your brakes not worked or just wore out prematurely (25,000 miles)?
  • At the very least, Hyundai should issue TSB's to all dealers, and offer a discounted service every 25000 miles to clean the pad clips. This service would take about 10 minutes, and would cost the dealers very little. I believe the problem is due to positioning of the pad clips, which accumulate dirt and crap. This however is a DESIGN fault. This should NOT occur at 25000 miles. If the front pads are lasting 70000 miles, the rear pads should not wear out at 25000 miles.
  • muffinbmuffinb Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know what the brake bleeding sequence in on a 2006 Sonata?
    Thanks