Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Rear Thump

silverfox1silverfox1 Posts: 91
edited March 7 in Hyundai
Have a 06 Sonata LX. Chasing above average rear body/ chassis thumping when going over a bump or step in the pavement. Have relocated the spare and tighten the holding mount. Re adjusted the two trunk stops. Securing the spare helped but still have some thumping. Is it possible that some added padding to the trunk floor will help? Anyone have the same problem and a solution?

Comments

• Silverfox1:

I have a 2006 Sonata GLS 4 cyl. I hear a slight knock or bang (I think coming from the undercarriage) often times when I first accelerate. Does anyone else have this?
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    May be it's the fuel used causing knocks!
    Switching to a different gas station / higher octane may solve the problem... Old gas stations sometimes have storage tank problems (water/contamination...).
    I always try to get Gas at the newest gas station around.
    I also read, that some new 4cyl cars require Premium (i think i read that in a Civic Si review!!
  • No problems with noise from chassis or body on take off. Thumping occurs when driving on bumpy roads. Car is very quite on smooth roads. 17" tires do not help the thumping issue since they have very little give to them. I think added insulation and better quality bushings between the chassis and body would help. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this problem?
  • Thanks tb88 for the reply. Don't tell me that - last thing I need to do is buy premium gas. Hopefully it will stop.
  • Hi Silverfox, is the noise definately coming from the spare tire well or is it from one of the rear wheel wells? Just curious,
  • Sounds seems to come from the lower trunk area which makes me think the suspension is not isolated enough from the lower body. Car is so quiet on smooth pavement any noise is offensive. Will review issue with dealer some time in the future. Do you have a similar condition?
  • cxccxc Posts: 122
    I noticed similar condition for my 06 Sonata LX. It turned out that the fold down rear seats were not locked as the car came out the factory. After locking the rear seats from trunk, I did not hear any abnormal sounds from the rear. I hope this will help.
  • Thanks for that info, will check that out in the morning. I been playing mind games trying to figure out what and where it is coming from. I was thinking of the exhaust system as it seems more pronounced when the car is cold but may be my imagination.
  • Silverfox1, I work for Hyundai in quality control. I'm not here in an official capacity though (hence the 007)

If I understand you correctly the noise is coming from the rear suspension when you go over a sharp bump or step? Sounds like rear hub noise to me. Tell your dealer service that you suspect you have rear hub noise and that you may need your e-brakes adjusted. At least sitting here that may be the issue.
  • Thanks for the reply. I have an Sonata LX with rear disks. I believe I may have found some of the problem. I think the cover for the spare moves vertically and may have a drum affect. I went over a sharp bump yesterday (rail road tracks) and it sounded like came from that area. I had repositioned the spare and tighten the holding hardware for the spare earlier so I know that area is secure. I also have locked the rear seat backs from the truck. Will try to secure the spare cover (trunk floor cover)to see if that has any improvement on the drumming.
  • Hmmmmm that's odd that there's noise from the spare tire cover. I won't say what part of QC I work in because that would narrow me down too far, but I've never heard that as an issue. I'll keep a lookout for that in the future. I know this sounds silly, but is the spare tire cover turn the right way (litle pull handle at the rear) and is the trunk liner pulled over the rear seat "flaps"?

Hyundai road tests all cars thoroughly for noises, quality and safety issues.
  • Just checked my trunk and see that the trunk cover is over the rear seat cover. Also the spare cover is correct with the tab to the rear. Interesting that the two rectangular slots that accept the spare cover tabs (two) do not have any means to latch or hold the cover in place. Should there be some type of clip mounted on the rectangular slots to catch these tabs?
  • Still fighting this excessive thumping noise when going over bumps on my 06 LX. Starting to think that the oversize trunk resonates with the suspension on bumps. Any thoughts on that theory?
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    All you have to do to find out is to fill up the trunk with something, preferably with something that wouldn't bounce and make noise: Blankets/pillows/foam/ etc...
  • I recently purchased the '06 Sonata LX, and I am experiencing the same rattle/rumble thumping noise in the rear passenger hub area!!!!

The service department said everything was working to Hyundai specs (they had a "Hyundai engineer" test drive it with me and he said it was normal road noise - baloney), and the general manager said he is trying to get Hyundai to address the issue, but to no avail.

It occurs on bumps and dips usually below 30 mph. It is especially loud under 5 mph when you go over a bump or dip.

There is also a constant droning/resonating hum noise when the car hits about 30 mph and higher, which is most noticeable on concrete.
    :mad:
  • I have looked into several approaches to reduce the rear suspension noise starting with the most cost effective one first. I purchased some top of the line carpet padding and placed it between the trunk carpet and the body pan. This helped with reducing some of the high frequency noise and some what reducing the rubble sounds. The better solution is to invest in the rubber/alumium wrapper material that the audio people use to reduce the resonance when installing those large base speaker systems. I checked into it and a 12 foot square of this material was $96!!!!!!!!!! To do it right you should do the trunk and rear floor area's. Not ready to spend this kind of money to cover a design problem. On the concrete noise issue, "haefr" is right on the money. It certainly is a tire tread issue. I have a new interchange near me and those Michelin Pilot tires do make noise on it. My Continentals on my old VW GTI did the same thing. Let me know if you get and help from dealer on the rumble issue.
  • If you want to try something on the trunk of the Sonata to reduce the noise level and don't want to shell out for Dynamat, BrownBread, etc try some Ice Guard or similar material at your local Home Depot or wherever. It's made for weatherproofing/insulating your roof but it makes a pretty good soundproofing material and you can't beat the price or availability. I use it in place of Dynamat and the rest for certain installs.

-Keith
  • stealth6stealth6 Posts: 13
    Try tightening down the spare tire. I mean really tighten it down!
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Posts: 698
    The "thumping" noise, known elsewehere as K-Thunk is a problem of the V6 models only, and seems like it is typical to the '06 model cars only, and apparently was fixed in the '07 cars.

The latest info published, unofficially though, is that the cause of the noise is the REAR SUSPENSION, and that Hyundai is now working on a fix that's suppose to be in the shape of a RUBBER seal that needs to be added to the rear shocks. Stay tuned.
  • Hello happy owners of sonata. I am thinking of buying sonata 4 cyl. with manual transmission and I'd like to ask you how good and reliable this transmission from your experience. How easy it operates, how you like the clutch performance, what engine rpms you have at 120 km/h. and how quiet a car at this speed. Thank you for any info on these questions. Enjoy your cars
  • hdsithdsit Posts: 58
    Se latest post on this thread:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t12502-azera...nsion-noise.htm
    Could this be the solution for the sonata's k-thunk problem too? - If they share components.
    also from :
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f43c4

"Well I just took my Azera out for a drive and the noise is completely gone. It was great I did not feel like I had to dodge every pavement irregularity My dealer, Green Hyundai is located in Springfield, IL. The part number for the struts are 54611-3K050 and the insulator assemblies are 54630-3K000. I hope this helps, it sure did the trick on mine. "
  • Just sent Email to Hyundai using their web site. Asked them to respond to Azera fix for k-thunk problem for my 06 Sonata LX V6. Will post their responce.
  • I've had 3 Sonatas since Feb '06. My first was a GLS V6 which I traded in July '06 for a GL I4 5-spd man due to disappointing miles per gallon averages with the GLS V6 (5-spd auto). I realized a whopping 1.5-mi average increase in MPG. My new Sonata is an '07 Limited. I'm getting about the same MPG as I got with the first Sonata, and I'm delighted with the accessories in the Limited. My advice: if you're going to get a Sonata, get the Limited. I got mine for $22,559 less a $2,500 total cash back for a nice $20,009 (plus TTL).
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f43c4" ((

That URL only addresses front end clunking noises in the Azera.
    I wonder whether poster vmokhutov is a Russian citizen... (Hyundai cars are distributed in Russia, but I question whether the automaker has its own import arm in that country or deals secondarily through a Russian import agency. Regardless, it would be anyone's guess whether the automaker makes available the same promotional rebate considerations in other world markets we enjoy in the U.S.)
  • Hello everyone....I'm new to the posting thing and wanted to let you know I have just purchased a new 2007 Sonata Limited V6 and I too have the K-thunk going on. I have noticed it only when I first start it up and accelerate. It doesn't matter how cold or hot the weather has been outside or the number of days it's been setting......it ONLY happens when I pull out of my driveway.......maybe it's a cold engine thing???
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Spudman... What you have described sounds like the ABS Self check test that occurs when you first start & engage the Car. Its in the manual :)
    Exactly what "unknown" said. Your noise occurs during the first acceleration after an engine start at ~18 mph. You may even feel some feedback through the accelerator pedal simultaneously. It's all perfectly normal - your car's simply communicating with you that the ABS is functional.
  • Just bought an 07 LX V6 here in Austin with loud, thunkin rear (& front in my opinion) suspension. Have had the strut mounts replaced, everything "loosened and retightened to specs". They are still scratchin their heads. The noise level is unacceptable and I will push to return the vehicle until it is fixed (already 1K on the car). I've given them all info on this site. Great car - except the rear suspesion noise. Continuing to push them to go to Hyndai direct - will wait this out until I am their worst nightmare...close though to goin and getting a new Camry. :lemon: Silverfox - keep in touch with ifne041 at y dot com.
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    Sorry to read about this problem on your 2007 LX. I read they didn't make those anymore?. Almost 2000 miles on my 2006 Limited,, and it gets better everyday!. Plus no Thunk Thanks :)

NO :lemon: Pure Pleasure. The Award Winning new Hyundai Sonata. Take the Hyundai Challenge :shades:
This discussion has been closed.