Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Tire and Wheels

Comments

• spike61spike61 Posts: 8
    Hey, thanks to you also, maybe it was alignment machine that scratched my wheels service manager tried to tell me it was from auto car wash never been to one , wash it by hand. Dodge gave up new tires pretty easy to me ,indicating to me that we are not alone in this or they know something is wrong. Maybe we should compare vin #s. Something may have gone wrong in production or with a certain part who knows. I called my salesman about the tires he seemed to have no problem getting us new ones.
  • dodgeman6dodgeman6 Posts: 42
    You know this makes me so sick about the tire/alignment issue. The dealership (service manager) asked me to send your chat with me about your problem(s) with the cupping of the tires, and also the rim damage. He said that soon there will be a Warning Bulletin to alert other owners of our problem(s) that we are having. He said when it comes out we should be reimbursed for having to pay for 1/2 of the tires, and the dealership will get their money back for their share of the new tire expense for us. I am so afraid that the new set of tires will do the same cupping thing again. I am seriously thinking about trading this car in as soon as the new tires get placed on them though. I like the car itself, don't get me wrong. But I should not have bought a new model car out the gate. I should have waited and watched it for awhile, but I loved the looks of it, etc. a year ago. I can't beleive that we have to pay for the second set of tires, do you? This is causing so much stress, since spouse is very sick, and can't take much more stress like this. Good luck with your Caliber from here on out. I will exchange vin #'s if you like too.......I am afraid I am dealing with a :lemon: here.
  • I have a 2007, AWD Caliper, purchased in FEB. I have had it in the shop 6 times for the steering wheel shimmy vibration. Much to my dismay, crysler keeps saying it is the tires. Well I am now on my third set of new tires,
    at Cryslers expense. The problem with the steering wheel
    shimmy 50-70mph is still there. Crylser says it is within
    specs. Ha, I have now filed a lemon law suit against
    them; I this this is a sfety issue. By the way, don't
    let them fix your car or keep it unless the dealer pays for
    a rental car. I have had a rental care each time the
    car has been serviced for this continual problem. I will never by another Crylser product again. I am hoping for a
    cash settlement, so I can trade this car in.
  • Well, I went back to the dealership to get new tires that I had to pay 1/2 of, and also the dealership scratched up my rims too, so I had that to go round and round with them about as well on August 03, 2007. While I was waiting for them to put the new tires on, etc., I walked out on the car lot, found a 2004 Grand Prix GT (NICE!!!), talked to a saleman right then and there, he talked to the owner of the dealership..........I know own the Pontiac Grand Prix Gt, and the MESS is over with my Caliber WAD R/T. I traded it in even steven.........can you believe that!!!!! I was shocked too!! But, the service manager was so relieved that we wanted to trade it in (even as it was getting ready to get new tires and RIMS??? right then and there, mind you.) He said I made things so much easier.....(he knew that we had them against the wall with the car, and the RIMS, I take it. Anyways, I AM FREE......I AM FREE..... from the MESS with this Caliber AWD R/T 2007 piece of crap.
    I absolutely hope that all others will make a huge effort do DUMP their Calibers in Chrysler's face too!!! The Pontiac Grand Prix GT is awesome, and worth the effort. I know drive a REAL car.............whew. Good luck to anyone that is suffering as I did, and probably more if they can't get out of their Caliber ownership. I showed all the chats at this forum to the dealership, and they said that a re-call is on it's way soon. But, I did not want the stress of fighting with Chrysler. I owned a VW Super Beetle (brand new) and I had to SUE them to get them to reimburse me $4750 for all the electrical problems it had about 4 years ago. I am sick to death of customers like myself getting lied to about how great a car is and really it is not worth a dime after you sign your name on the loan. Thanks ever so much for communicating with me, and good luck to you, cmmessina, and others reading this.) :shades:
  • I am having the same problem with my Caliber R/T. I went to a Firestone dealer, and they told me that it is probably due to the specs. They think they need adjusted just like Ford recently did with the Focus. I am still dealing with the dealership on this matter. I hope you get things worked out, as I hope I do because I love my Caliber. Keep the info updated.
  • I signed into this site just to check out problems with front end shimming and tires cupping on the Caliber to see if it was my lemon or the car. Started my problems about 10,000 miles agoand still have not got any satisfaction. My mechanic has told me it is the car and not the tires but when I take it to the Dodge dealer they told me it was my alignment (which I paid for) and still the problem persists. But now that I have seen the problems from others I will be able to go in with some info to see if we can come to a settlement on this. Rented the GT ( didnt trust my Caliber on a long trip) and I LOVED it. Told my husband that I wanted to trade it for my car. Lets hope I can have as good a fortune as you.
  • My advice is to print out all these messages (make copies for yourself) and take them to the dealer. Have him keep them on file as you repeatedly have issues with the caliber, okay. Have them check to see if there are any re-calls yet. There should be one strarted up by now, I am told. If you just can't stand living with this all the time................GET RID OF THE CALIBER. I LOVE my Grand Prix GT it is a REAL car. Roomy, speedy, sharp looking, and solid. Don't waste your time trying to convince yourself that you can live with this. I was told it would happen over and over again (you footing the bill for tires and alignments) until a re-call does come to play, but when? Go with your gut. Oh, by the way, as soon as you get a new alignment................quickly trade it off before the crap starts back up again.
    It is a shame that customers have to drive junk. When I see a caliber I am sad because I liked my new sxt, but I also am relieved that the headache is over for me.
    Good Luck, seriously........ :lemon: :sick: :confuse: :mad:
  • Thank you very much. My dealer is going to get to know me real well until we can solve this issue.
  • You're welcome! If you have a fax machine at home, fax copies to serviceman handling this. Then call, and (bug him) to just see if he received the copies. Request that he keeps them on file so that when the recall hits, he can show it all to Chrysler. Make sure they type in on every repair visit (your invoice) what they said is wrong (their opinion) so that it will go with the forum remarks and YOU keep a copy of that with your paperwork at home too. If your car acts up one tiny bit, go right back and [non-permissible content removed] (in a calm voice but persistently firm) that it is happening AGAIN. I was told that when the recall hits, I would be reimbursed for what I had to buy (tires, etc.) all along the way. BUT I did not want to wait, and the dealership really was relieved that I chose to trade the caliber in at their place too!! Because they would have to start eating some of the costs eventually and get reimbursed themselves from Chrsyler someday after the recall hits. But when? How many more customers are there out there with this problem? Just stay IN THEIR FACE, and LOOK for a car that you can trade even up too............right now. I did, and walked away with my Pontiac Grand Prix GT (metallic cherry red) and looks like new too! It is a 2004, but low mileage (lease brought back in). I was lucky to find this on the lot, and they really worked hard to match what I owed to this car so I
    could step out ASAP. Good Luck to you misscindy!!!!) I am a female too,
    and I know how hard it is to get a MAN to listen. But I tell ya, pestering will
    get you everwhere............they hate that even when you are right....they hate
    that too lololololololo ;)
  • cotto19cotto19 Posts: 1
    I appreciate all of the feedback. We have been dealing with the same tire issue the last two days. Chrysler is denying any responsibility. We have spoken to multiple levels of Chrysler Service without success.

We were supposed to hear from a senior vice president of service at Chrysler today. The call hasn't come in yet.

Chrysler put us in touch with Firestone. The Firestone engineers told us that the tire Chrysler specified is softer than normal, does not qualify for a tread warranty and will only last about 12K. They said Chrysler is aware of the limited life and continues to specify the tire.

It's been a nightmare. Good Luck all.
    Don't give up on this. Chrysler passed the buck to the tire company right off the bat for me too. IF you get stuck with having to change the tires at your cost.......once it is over with................SELL SELL SELL the Caliber like I did.
    I am so glad to be rid of the run arounds from Chrysler, the dealership, and the tire company. What was I thinking when I purchased my 2007 Caliber R/T in the first
    place? When I see one (not frequently) I only see how cheaply it was put together
    and the back service from Chrysler. Did I tell you that Chrysler knows that they
    have a problem with the Caliber and it's tire alignment (cupping) problem? They
    were suppose to come out with a bulletin but from what you are saying Chrysler
    is neglecting to admit anything. Good luck to you!! :(
  • I have been back and forth with my dealer on this same issue. Made copies of all of the messages in this site, and took them with me and was told that they have no recalls or even any records of this issue from Chrysler. Emailed Chrysler and didnt get very far there either. I have a mechanic that usually does the work on my car but because of warranty issues he sends me to Dodge. Was told by Dodge the first time I brought it in, that I needed an alignment (as 20,000 miles) Had that done at my expense and was still having a lot of vibration when braking. My mechanic told me to take it back and have them check the brakes. Did that and they wanted 350.00 for new pads and to resurface the rotors. When I told them that this was the same problem I was in for the first time and that it seemed ridiculous that this should need to be done with just over 20,000 miles he agreed but said there was nothing he could do about it. Had my brakes done (by my mechanic of course) and things are good for now. I have not replaced my tire yet. Not at all happy with the car but its paid for!!!. It is hard to believe that Chrysler is still going to state that they dont know anything about this issue! Good luck all.
  • azcfcazcfc Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Caliber Rt AWD. Have had no problems with the vehicle until it turned 30,000 miles.I live in the mountains and deal with a lot of snow and the resulting potholes and this spring noticed a rumbling noise at all speeds. Took it to Dodge and was told that I needed tires and an alignment. I was a little confused and asked why they couldn't do the alignment and replace the tires themselves and was told that it would be better to take it somewhere else! Now that's confidence in your service department! After reading the postings here, it seems like this is a common problem and evidently they have no factory fix. I took it to a local tire dealer whom I trust and had new tires put on and an alignment done and was told that two of the factory rims were bent. Checked back with Dodge and was quoted almost $300.00 dollars per rim. Decided to order custom ones from the dealer (better looking and stronger) and now have the smooth riding vehicle that I oringinally purchased. I am considering purchasing an extended warranty just as long as I can go somewhere other than DODGE!
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    The easy answer is find another dealership!
    Obviously since you live in the mountains they aren't
    a dime a dozen,but having said that the first thing you
    must realize is the because they the Chrysler sign
    out front they are in all likelyhood a franchise.
    Their reasoning in telling you to take somewhere else
    is a t the least suspect i.e. backed up,mechanic sick
    and many other reasons.
    Don't forget even if you purchase a an extended warranty
    if they are your only resource you are still going to have
    deal with THEM!
    Find another dealer!!
  • azcfcazcfc Posts: 3
    Thank You. I already found one 60 miles away, but it is worth it.
    The new tires and rims are quit an improvement. They are are quiet and smooth and I can already see an improvement in gas mileage. It's sad that they (Dodge) would cut corners on something as important as tires, but they obviously did. You would think that Firestone would know better after all they've been through since the 500 Series fiasco. But still, the only other problem I've encountered with the vehicle was the damper on the cold drink compartment wouldn't stay open. Once again my old dealer didn't know what to do so I fixed it with three of those Velcro self adhesive dots placed in front of it in th closed position.
  • caliberrtcaliberrt Posts: 1
    I have been absolutely hating the road noise on my caliber R/T from about 10,000 to 28,000 miles (now). Firehawk radials with 18" wheels.

I had the tires rotated several times - in the early going, road noise was decreased after ea. rotation. At 28 K - the tires are definitely cupped and nearly worn out - noise is at the level to make me very unhappy with the car.

I replaced last week with slightly different size of Goodyear TripleTred (sp?) and had a 4-wheel alignment done. The difference in ride noise is astounding - car is now quiter than when I purchased it.

fyi.
  • spike61spike61 Posts: 8
    im on my 3rd set of tires on my caliber R/T AWD ,1st set @ 6000mi. 2nd was@ 20,000mi. dodge replaced them again at no cost to me. something is wrong but i don't think they know or don't want to admit what it is. My tires are cupping [all 4] bad.Hope soon enough people will raise hell with dealers to get dodge to react. Do not except being told tire wear is normal its not ! ask anyone who knows anything about cars. first call owner of dealership if no help call Dodge #s are in your owners manual. Do not pay for tires or even half .Dodge or Firestone should be responsable .If tires just wear ok ,but severe chopping or cupping is either tire defect or mechanical problem .The fact that they replaced mine twice means they know something is wrong.I will keep demanding new tires untill they fix the problem!
    Basically, I started the chat about my Dodge Caliber R/T. I come back repeatedly to continue to read new notifications from owners of this car like yourself, spike61.
    You are right on, and I know how you are feeling, as I too had the same problems with cupping/tire company and dealer and Dodge (DODGING) my pleas to FIX the mess I am in with this car. I SOLD this car, and drive a 2004 Grand Prix GT, instead now. I am FREE from such crap from all mentioned about. NEVER give up, and I applaud you for getting right back in their faces to get new tires over and over again. I couldn't deal with it as long because my nerves were not of steel, like yours, BUT I was not going to be used or drive a car that I then hated, and was not proud of. Good luck. I am behind you all the way.
  • Have owned a Dodge Caliber since October 2006. There was a steady increase in road noise until we could take it no longer. The dealer replaced the tires but we paid full price for the new tires. We saved the old ones. Tire Manufacturer opened a file on our complaint but each time we contact them we get a new claim number. Calls tot he manufacturer has produced no results. Dealer insists that the problem is not Chrysler (of course). Now heading towards third set of tires in the next few weeks. Last set was purchased in April. I know there are probably thousands of Caliber owners who are upset. It sounds like the dealers and Chrysler and tire manufacturer are together on this one. I think I'll save my energy for the moment when we trade in the vehicle and THEN the dealer will not want to deal. Watch out!
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    Tires on any new car have been warranteed by the tire company only
    for many years,if you luck out and have a great car dealer they generally
    will help out in the first 12,000 miles.I think the trouble really starts with
    the independents tire dealers and their lack of concern or their track record
    of getting re-inbursed by the tire manufacturer.
    If you can always find a tire sales office owned by the manufacturer.
    I guess I am lucky this time as I have 30,000 km on the original
    Firestones and they still look like new but they are noisey on certain
    road surfaces.
  • Well, I am not proud to admit that I started this subject about the Dodge Caliber with cupping tires and more. But, it seems to me that what I have been reading from time to time as the other owners of this vehicle keeps coming in to report similar problems as I have, should NOT have to even deal with this in a new car purchase in the first place. I got sick to death of the car dealer for pushing me off to the tire manufacturer more than once. It gets to the point to where you are out of a car while they try to figure out the problem over and over again, money out of your pocket no matter what happens every time you change tires or have to totally or partially pay for another alignment. It gets old. Same on Dodge for putting customers through this until a certain number of them gather together to file a legal suit against them. We have enough stress with the gas prices right now, people losing their jobs that have to have big bucks for the car payment for a new or used car, the list goes on. for a customer to have to keep pointing fingers and waiting for the tire manufacturer/dealer or car dealership who sold you the car to duke it out is a joke.
    I dumped this Dodge Caliber 2006 R/T and have not regretted it or looked back.
    Good luck to all who can't get rid of the thing because it has lost it's value and you will be stuck with it. Just as soon as they put new tires on mine, I turned right around and went back on the same lot before I left, and bought a used 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. The Car dealership was so happy that I was going to actually be out of their hair with me giving this car up for good for them to re-sell to some other poor fool. I tracked the sale of the car and it was re-sold to a person just about
    40 miles from me in Traverse City, Mi. I went on line to the CarFax site and reported that this car had a problem with cupping tires and alignment problems.
    When I see the Calibers going down the road, I actually want to hold up a sign as I pass them to say "toot your horn if you have experienced cupping tires." It is not funny to say the least even, but it has humor in it for me as I am now stress free from this sorta ugly car anyways. :surprise: I give those customers on this site to never give up if you have to or just walk away from the whole mess if you can like I did.
  • I am having the exact same tire/wheel problem with my Caliber. I live in New York. I drive on good new roads and avoid the bad ones. I have had my Caliber regularly serviced (tire rotations) by my dealer. Shortly after the 2nd tire rotation, I noticed a slight road noise. After a few weeks, the noise became louder. I'll describe the noise like this...If you have ever been standing near the road when a 4 wheel drive pickup with monster mudder tires passed you, then you have heard the exact noise my Caliber has been making. People walking on the road would stare as I drove by and one group of kids covered their ears as I passed them. Even at 5 MPH, there was a noise that sounded like a flat tire.

My dealer has been accommodating so far. They stood in my corner when I contacted Chrysler regarding this issue. The dealer stated he had similar issues with other Calibers, which the Chrysler CSR also admitted. Chrysler purchased new tires for me with a slight deductible. Just for safety measure, I paid for a 4 wheel alignment as well. They checked the suspension and found it was secure and tight. But, the problem is not over. After driving home from the dealer, the noise was gone, but I could still feel an extreme vibration in the front end. It was the same vibration I had in the past, but without the road noise. I immediately took the car back to my dealer and left the keys in the night key drop with a note. I don't want to drive it until the problem is corrected, because I don't want the same thing to happen to my new tires. I still like the car, but I will not drive it until this problem is corrected.

The car is at the dealer right now. I'll post updates as things progress.

Good Luck Everyone!
  • Thanks for your recent post and promise to keep all updated on your progress or not. I know I was not crazy to start a post in the first place with my Caliber issues back in 2006 on this site. Maybe, just maybe, we can save others time and most of all money with our own experiences. Nobody these days can afford the car payments, let alone, repairs or issues that won't go away.
  • I hope you have better luck finding the problem. The noise is just the tires getting chopped up because something is seriously wrong with the car.I have had trucks with 35 in. tires out of balance that wore better and did not make that much noise. My dealership is not even intrested in finding the problem. The service manager just keeps saying he dosent know and there are only a few cases of this problem.The owner of the dealership who i had to call to get action, tells me they are looking in to it. My 3rd set of tires @ 25,000 miles (on the car) tires 6,000mi. are starting to make that noise again! I don't think I will ever buy an american car again. No wonder they are in trouble!!! Maybe they should go to Germany and learn how to build a car and make them trouble free before they mass produce them. Good Luck!!
  • Well, the Service Manager just called me and told me that I had a tire "out of round". He is ordering a new one. I remember reading a post either here or somewhere else about someone correcting the issue with new wheels and tires. I'm curious about this, but I'm not going to pass judgement until I see what happens. I am going to let things run their course. I will not take any action until they stop working with me. I have lots of documentation and have done everything they have told me to do. I like the guy at my dealership and I think he feels bad about the whole thing.
  • I ended up buying new tires and stopped dealing with the dealership. Had my first 6000 mile rotation and check and the tires are just fine. In my time that I took complaining to my dealership and directly to Chrysler I found that my dealer had sold me a car with optional tires not the factory recommened tires and the tire dealership said that those particular tire tended to cup. Will let you know how these tires hold up. But if I had the finances I would still be getting rid of this car. Good luck
  • What kind of tires did your car come with? My tires were Firestone Firehawks 215/55/18 ,they are standard on the R/T models. I can only find 3 other tires that will fit this car 2 Bridgstone, 1 Yokohama,and the Firestones that are standard equipment. Dealer said that I could not get different tires under warranty.Did you get the same tires?
  • My dealer ordered Yokohama tires and Chrysler covered it. The tires were about $700, but I had to pay $150 deductible though. I didn't argue, because I had 26K miles on the Firehawks. He told me he did not like the Firehawks. I have the car back now. I still feel a very slight vibration at 60-70mph, but maybe I'm sensitive to it because I'm looking for a problem right now. I'm going to give it some time and see how the tires look in a few thousand miles. The dealer also replaced 1 wheel (why? I have no idea).
  • The dealership put new michelon tires on, i have not had nay trouble since.
    I also filed a lemon law against them, i did receive a settment for the inconvience
    I did get my money back that I put down on the car. So far I have had the michelons on for a year now. I have them rotated and balanced every 6000 miles.
    They have hardly warn at all. It took crysler 3 set of tires before they finally
    came up with the michelons.
    Good luck.
    I will be getting rid of my caliber in about a year. I do not like the way it handles.
    I will never purchase a crysler product again.
  • Well, I just got back from the Dealer for the 7th attempt to correct my cupping/vibration issue. This time, they said that my wheels were out of balance.

*****They further stated that they contacted Chrysler Corp and no other complaints of tire cupping/vibration have been reported.

I really dont know what else to say here, so I'm going to leave it at this for now, because I'm a bit frustrated.
This discussion has been closed.