Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Engine Problems

Comments

• bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    This has been a common complaint on Calibers manufactured
    before July 2006 and has been posted on numerous
    Dodge forums,there is no TSB covering it but quite a
    number of owners have had it resolved by DCX and dealers
    willing to understand it as a customer satisfaction
    problem.
    Call DCX customer line and complain or find a dealer
    who is willing to help,they have to replace the exhaust
    pipe and resonator assy. under warranty system.
  • foxy4foxy4 Posts: 3
    :cry: hi we are having the same problems with our new dodge caliber 1.8 se unleaded we bought it in september 06 and have had nothing but problems with the stalling when we pull away the revs drop and it stalls nearly every time unless we rev excessively also in reverse it judders before stalling. and we are currently trying to send it back as its been in for repair and still has the same problems is there any one who can help us with who we can contact next other than the dealer. thanks.
    Another complaint with regards to software,this has been
    noted on other Caliber forums regarding the 1.8l/5spd
    stalling and fluctuations in rpms.
    It again has been resolved by a software flash or update
    covered by Tech Service Bulletin #18-033-06,quite a number
    of owners with these symptoms claim this resolves the
    stalling problems.
    Call DCX customer service or try another dealer you deserve
    service for money spent on your purchase.
  • vocsvocs Posts: 7
    Hi

Today we ran a lot of errands and were out shopping our new caliber RT, AWD. We got it 6 weeks ago it has 1880 miles on it. The check engine light came on out of no where.

Anyone have any clue what is going on?

Should I not drive the car? I have to take a few trips this weekend/holiday to families houses. Should I be worried about driving it?

Any help is appreciated.

Pam
    Check the gas cap is on and tightened and if it's gone when you restart car generally it's not an immediate thing,but
    have it checked out that's what warranties are for.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    If your car was built prior to November, it may need to have its engine control computer reprogrammed - see Tech Service Bulletin #18-033-06. You can tell the build date of your car from the placard attached to the front driver's seat door or door sill.
    has anyone got dcx customer service telephone number please thanks as having no joy getting the car sorted and are now really fed up with the dealers fobbing us off :confuse:
  • I took my new(900 miles) Caliber to the dealer for a MIL light. They are going to replace the pcm computer. They say it is a problem inside the computer and not a software problem. 2.4l cvt r/t fwd
  • Customer Service is at 1-800-853-1403 how long have you been waiting? I waited 9 weeks and I hear that some waited up to 16 weeks.
    thank you for the telephone number but im in the uk so dont no if it would be the same number as you gave me we had a meeting with the dealers and with head office people and we said we have had enough of the lies and how the car performs so they have offered us a new dodge so hopefully this one will be ok fingers crossed but we have been waiting since september 06 so 4 months and now we hope it will be ok foxy x. :)
  • I have a new caliber R/T,about a 1000 miles on it now---I have noticed that after driving around town for about a 1/2 hour that the engine temp could be warmer. The gage doesn't even read half way. I took a small trip and the gage went to half way as in other cars I have had in the past. It has been around 15 degrees here and I know its cold, but the car should still warm up in an 1/2 hour . Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing something similiar or if there is a problem. It acts like maybe the thermostat is stuck open. The dealer said I should let it idle for about 15 min before driving... Thanks trans12
    Welcome to Caliber ownership,your comments regarding
    temp guage have been a common thread amongst many
    owners.
    I have had my SXT 2.0L/CVT since August 06 and have never
    seen the temp indicate over half way,in the summer on
    hot days it would sit at 1/2 of the mark just below
    middle of guage markings,now with outside temps
    in the high teens it takes a while to get to that
    point.
    Having said that I have found my Caliber is one of
    the fastest warming DCX cars I have owned and that's
    been quite a few,but it does seem that below 20F the
    guage seems to take a while to reach mid range.
    If you warm up for 15 minutes that's a lot of gas,
    4-5 minutes then drive it seems to work for me,I
    don't know where you are located geographically
    but Canadian Calibers come with block heaters
    and if you have one that maybe the answer.
    By the way to see if you have a block heater check
    between the fuse block(drivers side under hood)
    and the strut tower for an AC cord.
  • I have a SXT with 13000 miles on it now - Live in New England and have the same issues with warm up., The temp gage never went to the mid range always stayed about two clicks below even during the summer months.
    Orig the dealer stated this was a normal condition and could not find a problem. Next cold morning I drove directly to the dealer and had the service manager drive the car and he finally agreed with me.

TO date the dealer has replace both the primary and secondary thermostats and re-entered the codes. The problem still has not been corrected. The car is scheduled to go back to the dealer on Monday the 12th..

I have also contact Dodge and placed a formal complaint concerning this issue.
    IF anyone has had this problem corrected please let me know what they did to repair the situation. I will let you all know the outcome of my next service visit.

IF YOU HAVE THE SAME TYPE OF ISSUE I RECOMMEND YOU CONTACT DODGE @ 1-800-853-1403 and REGISTER THE PROBLEM..
    Its the only way to get some action to correct this
  • Wow, I finally found others with the same issue. It has been cold here in wisconsin, but I originally took it in when it was 40 degrees, twice. They said the temp range was normal. Now this week I stopped in a store lot, after running for 15 minutes, and had the temp gauge go down, not warmer. I also would like to here from others. I also will be contacting Dodge.
  • snojeepsnojeep Posts: 2
    I bought my Caliber in June 2006 and so far so good, no problems, yet. A week or so ago I noticed a tone sound and then a rapid tick-tick-tick sound from the passenger side of the engine after I turn off the car. Also, it has been a bit cold out here last month, and the car sounded a little loud in the engine. When I brought it to the dealer, the first thing they suggested was to change the oil. I found out to my surprise that my local mechanic did not read the oil cap during the last oil change in January and placed 10W-30 instead of 5W-20 in the engine. Yikes! The local dealer replaced the 10W-30 with the proper 5W-20 and the engine has quieted down (it is also 20 degrees warmer here now)but the strange tone and tick-tick-tick sounds is still happening. Did I just trash my engine?
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    If you do a search here you will find the "Caliber Ping" to be quite common. Dodge will range on whether or not it's a problem with a solution. Some dealers will take it seriously some will not. I personally have not hear the ping myself but I know LOTS of Caliber owners who do complain about it.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Posts: 118
    I've had that "3 tick" sound (after I turn the engine off) since I've had my Caliber. Going on 31K miles now it's still there, it does not affect the cars performance and I don't hear it until I turn the engine off. So...I'm not worried about it unless it gets louder or causes some issues for me.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    be cool if the manufacturer, in this case Dodge, would release some information to their dealer's service bays that would suggest what might be causing the "3 tick" sound.

IIRC the Dodge Caliber is installed with the new "world" engine that was developed with Mitsubishi and Hyundai and DCX. The various manufacturers will tweak their world engine as they see fit but all 3 carmakers may even find some commonality here with this problem. Has anyone actually heard a satisfying suggestion from their dealer as to what this sound might be? Maybe it's OK and nothing is being damaged or nothing is wrong at all.

I have a feeling that nothing is wrong at all with your Caliber motors.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I can completely relate to the engine stalling in neutral, and also my tacometer will go up and down when in neutral as well for no reason?? But my biggest problem is the door locks. I have manual locks, so I lock the door and shut the door and very often the door will not catch and will just pop back open. Of course I am just a crazy woman because the Gods of Service at our dealership say they can't see a problem and I am the only one that has this problem. Am I crazy or are there others here with the same problem? :mad:
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    Sorry I have automatic locks, but I know it's annoying when you have a problem that can't be duplicated every time. It's almost as if you need to carry a video camera with you when you lock your door to "catch" it in the act.