Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• atbearatbear Posts: 322
    Haven't gotten my Borla yet (3 or 4 more weeks)... and I just got my front license plate cover in so I'm gonna have that painted and install it tomorrow.. might take some pics tomorrow if the install goes well
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    FYI, GM has issued a software update for the Impala ECM. I had it done, as have others, and all have reported improved performance.
    vblstud may want to try it.
    thanks, garypen, didn't know that..... what does it change? what are the improvements?
    People who complained mostly of hesitation found that the ECM (I believe GM actually calls it a "PCM") update cured, or at least helped, the hesitation.

I also had to have my fuel injectors cleaned pretty early in the engine's life. Maybe the engines are prone to carbon buildup during break in?

Right now, my engine runs great. Very powerful. It feels good to hit the gas in such a large car, and pull away from the other folks at the intersection.
  • vblstudvblstud Posts: 28
    What year impalas are effected by this pcm update?? Cuz mines a 2002 so im not sure its gunna help and do you do this at the dealer for free?

Thx

Rob
    It was free. I suppose it depends on yer build date. Why not check with your dealer. Tell 'em you're having hesitation or whatever, and see what they say and do.
    You may get a fuel injector or throttle body cleaning out of it.
    Will the K and N Cone filter void my warrenty or can they say that is the problem of the hesitation? Just checking cuz my mom doenst like me voiding the warrenty...haha

rob
    No, they can't void your warranty very easily for aftermarket parts... That part has to be the cause of the problem to void a warranty claim. Check out the Magnuson Moss act at www.sema.com. It shouldn't be the cause of the hesitation, unless it's improperly installed. I am running a cone right now...
    If you want to avoid a hassle at the dealership, put the stock one back in for your visit.
    Anyone ever try to bypass the fog lights setup so that when you turn the brights on they dont go off? Just wondering cuz it gets annoying.

Thx

Rob
  • wwnfwwnf Posts: 40
    In the state of PA your car shouldn't pass inspection if your fog lights stay on with your high beams.

How do I know this? A friend's car failed inspection because of this mod. =)
    I'm looking for Polyurethane bushings for the front sway bar and end links.

Anyone know where there is a kit that fits or knows the sizes?

Thanks
    try Grandprixstore.com or montestore.com for the bushings and endlinks!
    mid bushings are out of stock and no ETA for availability.

They have the end links but I need the bushings too. =)

Thanks
  • mke9c5mke9c5 Posts: 18
    Hey everyone...new guy on the list, but not to the Impala. For those of you looking into the pushbumpers, check into the Go Rhino! bar. I just put one on my black '02 LS. The left lane clears out in a hurry on the interstate...

The bar hugs the car bumper, and it mounts firmly to the car with NO HOLES! Two brackets thru the grill, two in the lower airdam. Does not affect anything on the car. It looks sweet....will try to get pics up ASAP. It can be purchased thru Galls for about $180.

NOTE....this item is for use by law enforcement and it does makes the car look like a squad from the front. Exercise some judgement in regard to your driving habits to prevent a trip to the clink in the backseat of a real 9C1!
    One other quick thing...I was reading the questions about running the cables thru the firewall. If you have more than 2 wires 10ga or bigger, forget about the rubber plug with the harness in it on the passenger side.

The fast way is to take a 1" - 1.5" hole saw and put a hole in the upper floorpan next to the rubber plug. Drill the hole (watching for obstructions), place a rubber grommet in the hole, then run the wires. That's how our unmarked impala's (and mine, now) got the wires in from the engine compartment. Once you have the stuff in, seal the hole with silicon to keep the water out.

It's easy, and still is hidden by the carpet...
  • emtbemtb Posts: 42
    I found that I could just snake the wires out through the plug (along the old wires). Wasn't a problem.

I have to wonder why you have a push bar though... :) Are you PD?
    emtb: I could get a couple wires thru the plug, but I had 10 wires that needed to go thru...it was easier to perf the hole. The pushbar was put on to hang my Hella driving lights from. I don't have a big chrome bumper like the '89 Caprice I had before, so the Rhino was the next best thing. I'm state....but this is my personal car- I don't work with it! I do other volunteer emergency services work, so I've got some equipment in it.
    10 wires? Ouch. Them headlight flashers will kill you. ;)

Got any pics? I'll be tossing some more of my car up tomarrow.
    It was the 8ga power leads to the trunk for the motorola's that took the factory plug out of play :) The other wires would've fit.

No pic's yet, will get to that asap. I like your front LED bar next to your rearview mirror. Is that an original 911 bar, or newer? All blue- that must have hurt the wallet!
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been busy. :)

It's the newer version, the LS-15. The old LS-15 wasn't worth squat, but this new one is very sweet. Cost me just under 300.00 US and is very nice and useful. People yield quite well to it 'round these parts. Got any pics of yer car? :)
  • Sorry for the delay...been too busy the last few days

Yeah, I got the pic's taken, just not on the computer yet...will get to that the next 2 days while I'm off. I'll let you know when/where they are up.

A couple of the guys have those in their cars, and most of 'em have additional lights since the installed lighting is horrible.
  • emtb- I got the pics, but my bonehead buddy who's site they were to go on went on vacation....email me and I will send you the pics

mke9c5@wi.rr.com
  • I just finished installing an ignition bypass in my ride. It was simple, 5 wires and a heavy duty 3 pole switch. It will be great for the winter- I'll be able to start the car and let it warm up without worrying about it getting stolen. Even tho the car is running, if the key is gone you can't shift out of park. GM wised up again and went back to a mechanical key/gearshift interlock (in the form of a cable this time). Car gets warm, and stays in one place. Total install time was about 5 hours.

Price for parts: $25.00

Warm car seat in December: Priceless
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I've got a silver 2000 Impala, and I'm thinking of getting it pinstriped (probably white). I'm wondering if anyone has had a pinstripe put on their Impala, and if so, where exactly did you put it? There's an obvious line running down the side of the car, but it's broken up by the door handles. There's another that starts at the front wheel well and works backwards, but it seems too low. Just curious to see if anyone has done anything out of the ordinary that turned out decent on an Impala.
    I just installed the Borla exhaust on my 2002 Impala LS... It looks and sounds great, and the build quality is great. It's a dual exhaust and have dual rolled angle cut split rear tips. I love it, but it DOES NOT come with everything you need to install it! Since the Impala comes with single exhaust, you need to have another hangar on the driver's side to hold the second muffler. Well Borla gives you another hangar but there is no where for it to go! I am going to go to my dealer tomorrow and get another stock style hangar and mount it there. Check out this link to see what I mean.

http://www.lynoise.com/images/borla/driveHanger.jpg
    Borla said they'd pay for my new bracket.... Great customer service!!!!
  • I'd like to switch, but I would like to know first if this would just plug in and work or does more work need to be done to get the 2 additional guages to operate?

Also does anyone know the GM Part Number for it?

Thanks
    gw
  • GW -

I checked with my local dealers about a month ago when I saw an LS Sport, and they all said the same:

The PCM's have different programming, the harnesses are different and the (additional) hardware is/would be different to support the cluster. If someone could get around that, I'd be in line behind you to get the cluster. I don't know why they couldn't have done that the first time.

Unknown part number...I didn't bother to ask.
This discussion has been closed.